Indiana Jones Land?

Movielover

Crystal skull has not held up well, it has been the butt of many jokes and almost killed the franchise (regardless of box office), its the one movie that they wish they could forget. High box office is nice, but if the movie is forgotten or disliked there isnt a demand to create a ride. People spent money on tickets hoping it would be the indiana they loved.
Right, which is why I said critically is in questioned, but by just box office returns Crystal Skull was in no way a poor movie.

Paris coaster? No the ride at disneyland california.
My mistake, I read that as Disneyland Paris. I would love to see a clone of the Disney Sea version as it is the superior ride.

Please dont take it upon yourself to correct me (in fact feel free to block me so you dont see my posts)
Don't tell me what to do. I'll do whatever I please to do, including criticizing your posts and horrible grammar.

No I meant timeless. Please dont take it upon yourself to correct me (in fact feel free to block me so you dont see my posts). 30 years from now that movie will still be liked, just as back to the future, star wars and gone with the wind (even though the last movie may not be PC in the current environment)

"not affected by the passage of time or changes in fashion"

The definition of timeless is something that cannot be measured by time or does not go out of style. A movie that is just as popular and relevant today as it was in 1950 is an example of a timeless movie. ... Restricted to no specific time; always valid, true, or applicable
Right, but the way you originally stated in your post was referring to the specific time period of which Raiders and Last Crusade is set, 1938 and 1939. Which is not timeless but evoking a specific point in history. The films themselves are iconic and ease you into their period sitting flawlessly, which makes them accessible no matter when being viewed. The same could be said for films like Airplane, it was filmed and very much set in the 70's, but much care was giving to how the film plays out and does not feel of a time, regardless of how dated that time period is. Just trying to make sense of your poorly constructed posts.

Have a pleasant day!

UNCgolf

You do realize Crystal Skull has the second highest box office behind Raiders right? I wouldn't call that poor. If you meant critically that I can understand that a bit more but it still did well with critics and audiences for the most part. Plus I doubt that was more important to them than box office returns.

Crystal Skull had a much higher box office than Raiders (and the other two) -- Last Crusade actually made more than Raiders.

That doesn't really tell you much, though, since Crystal Skull came out 20 years after Last Crusade. Basically all of that difference is caused by inflation, plus the Crystal Skull box office was propped up by people excited to see a new film starring Indy due to the popularity of the earlier films. If you look at the inflation adjusted numbers, Crystal Skull made less than all of the films, even Temple of Doom.

Regardless, you're right that it wasn't a failure financially. If it was, they probably wouldn't be making a 5th, although it performed better internationally than it did in the US.

UNCgolf

I go off of Box Office Mojo, which by default does not account for inflation.

Right, but then the numbers are almost meaningless. Even the 10th highest grossing film in a year now makes more money than the biggest blockbusters of the 1980s. There's a reason almost all of the highest grossing movies of all time are from the past decade if you don't consider inflation.

Also, based on the numbers I just looked at, Raiders doesn't pass Last Crusade even with the re-releases (and that's without counting inflation).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Right, but then the numbers are almost meaningless. Even the 10th highest grossing film in a year now makes more money than the biggest blockbusters of the 1980s.
I would only look at adjustedā€¦which equals ā€œbutts in seatsā€

and another reason is the fight I had with Pengs over a certain ā€œtrilogyā€

ā€œgeeeā€¦it only made a billionā€

noā€¦
When the second movie in a series drops 38%ā€¦the the third drops 19% off that depressed mark?
Itā€™s a ā€œnon-disastrousā€ disaster

As far as Indy goesā€¦the AGs rankings are as follows:

Chrystal skull: 98
Temple: 56
Crusade 69
Raiders 13

UNCgolf

Also, at least based on domestic returns, Crystal Skull was by far the least profitable of the four (because it cost so much more to make). The international numbers probably shift that though because it made a lot of money in the international market.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
That other site is claiming that Finding Nemo: The Musical is permanently closed.

Guys...it's happening...80 year old Indiana Jones AA is happening!!!!
New and separate thread for that rumor...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Also, at least based on domestic returns, Crystal Skull was by far the least profitable of the four (because it cost so much more to make). The international numbers probably shift that though because it made a lot of money in the international market.
The international market figures have to be taken with a grain of salt, however.

in many marketsā€¦American box office pull was near zero due to development/ cultural differences when Raiders came outā€¦

now a new movie could have potentially pulled $300,000,000 from China.

it doesnā€™t make the new movie better if you just look at the bottomline.

box office study over time should absolutely be using adjusted grossā€¦and only the NATO countries can provide fairly solid correlations since the modern box office started (when the shark ate Quinn and/or Princess Leia was captured)

erasure fan1

Just like I said when Avatar was announced for AK. If the land is well themed, and you build a great ride, it doesn't matter if the movie was meh. Indiana Jones would make a great land even though crystal skull was terrible. If it's themed great and it's an AAA ride people will love it. Now the X factor is, would Disney do it proper? That I'm not so sure about.

ppete1975

Right, which is why I said critically is in questioned, but by just box office returns Crystal Skull was in no way a poor movie.

My mistake, I read that as Disneyland Paris. I would love to see a clone of the Disney Sea version as it is the superior ride.

Don't tell me what to do. I'll do whatever I please to do, including criticizing your posts and horrible grammar.

Right, but the way you originally stated in your post was referring to the specific time period of which Raiders and Last Crusade is set, 1938 and 1939. Which is not timeless but evoking a specific point in history. The films themselves are iconic and ease you into their period sitting flawlessly, which makes them accessible no matter when being viewed. The same could be said for films like Airplane, it was filmed and very much set in the 70's, but much care was giving to how the film plays out and does not feel of a time, regardless of how dated that time period is. Just trying to make sense of your poorly constructed posts.

Have a pleasant day!
Lol you won't criticize since I will take my own advice and block/ignore you. I love keyboard cowards who love to critique others and hide behind their keyboards in their parents basement. Any way enjoy being rude to others. I don't have time for it.
I will go back to enjoying the message boards, and Disney as my distraction from the real world.

Much love!!!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Just like I said when Avatar was announced for AK. If the land is well themed, and you build a great ride, it doesn't matter if the movie was meh. Indiana Jones would make a great land even though crystal skull was terrible. If it's themed great and it's an AAA ride people will love it. Now the X factor is, would Disney do it proper? That I'm not so sure about.
I really donā€™t want another movie nor a land based on Indyā€¦

sometimes itā€™s right to walk away. Main reason I donā€™t trust studios and execs That donā€™t understand the appeal of something to make more of it. So far the evidence is on my side

ppete1975

sometimes itā€™s right to walk away. Main reason I donā€™t trust studios and execs That donā€™t understand the appeal of something to make more of it. So far the evidence is on my side
I couldn't agree more, there's a point where you realize they are just buzzards picking flesh off of a dead animal. The original was a great thrill ride (even after you realize Indy had no bearing on the movie*)
They seemed to go down in quality in each movie (imho like back to the future).

*Indy wasn't needed?

If a movie does well though, there is always execs that automatically want a sequel.

M:SpilotISTC12

New and separate thread for that rumor...

Next time Iā€™ll wait for the thread to be created but thanks.

Robbiem

Crystal skull has not held up well, it has been the butt of many jokes and almost killed the franchise (regardless of box office), its the one movie that they wish they could forget. High box office is nice, but if the movie is forgotten or disliked there isnt a demand to create a ride. People spent money on tickets hoping it would be the indiana they loved.

You could say the same thing with The Last Jedi / Rise of Skywalker and Galaxies Edge šŸ˜€āœŒļø

I really like Crystal Skull but I know thats a bit of a niche opinion. Any Indy land is likely be pre WWII themed (like the lost river delta at TDS) as thats what most people associate with the franchise. It would also fit perfectly with DHS IMO

The Aracuan Bird

Everything has to be a land these days. Whatever happened to really well done attractions? I guess Disney doesnā€™t really do those anymore. All about the overpriced eateries and stores.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Everything has to be a land these days. Whatever happened to really well done attractions? I guess Disney doesnā€™t really do those anymore. All about the overpriced eateries and stores.
Rides donā€™t make profitsā€¦they suck them upā€¦

which it seems evident is the reason they started doing minilands in the first place.

isnā€™t it strange that ā€œgalaxys edgeā€ (Still the dumbest name you could find) is like 80% shops? If you believe in coincidence.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You could say the same thing with The Last Jedi / Rise of Skywalker and Galaxies Edge šŸ˜€āœŒļø

I really like Crystal Skull but I know thats a bit of a niche opinion. Any Indy land is likely be pre WWII themed (like the lost river delta at TDS) as thats what most people associate with the franchise. It would also fit perfectly with DHS IMO
Fairā€¦both parts šŸ˜Ž

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom