Improving Downtown Disney!

Figment632

Original Poster
When I has in the happiest place on earth this past August I got to thinking that DTD could use some work. We dont go there that often anymore because a lot of the stuff they sell in the market place can be found in multiple places on property.

With pleasure island closing, and La nuba growing kind of stale (my opinion), and Disney quest starting to show its age, i was thinking there is not much to do in DTD. What could be done to draw people like me back to DTD.

1. I think they need to redo most of PL and reopen the advetures club.
2. Make some better shops with exclusive items to DTD.
3. A few more well themed Restaurants
4. A new show to replace La nuba. Maybe it could be a broadway style show like they have in DL Aladdin.
5. Complete overhall of Disneyquest!

NMBC1993

I think there are a few things that need to be done to get more people into Downtown Disney.

1. Disney needs to stop trying to get 3rd party restaurants in there and build things that would appeal to everyone. They need to build something with a true Disney theme like Sci-Fi or Coral Reef, something you can't find anywhere. I don't want to go to Downtown Disney and say "I could just go to the outback steak house down the road, but this one is at DISNEY WORLD!!!!"

2. They need to put some more attractions into DisneyQuest. If they can come up with all this living character stuff for the parks, I think they can do the same DisneyQuest. But knowing that it's the last one in the states, they won't and to be honest I'd rather them care more about new things in the parks.

3. And of course most important.....REOPEN PI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean come on it's not that hard to see how many people requested days off, flew to FL; I even book at a room at Pop Century because I didn't want to drive home from drinking and I live 20 minutes away. They just need to take those empty buildings and come up with some new ideas for clubs. Because the way I look at it, what do people do when the times are down? Drink and watch movies, well they can kill two birds with one stone. Plus with the parks closing at 7 now, people need some place to live the night life.

....that concludes my rant:wave:

Astro_Digital

How about adding a Ferris Wheel, Roller Coaster, cotton candy, side shows, circus maybe.

I am not talking about the mythic 5 gate, make it into a night time traditional amusement part.

Add fun to the place.

Chape19714

How about adding a Ferris Wheel, Roller Coaster, cotton candy, side shows, circus maybe.

I am not talking about the mythic 5 gate, make it into a night time traditional amusement part.

Add fun to the place.
And create the typical amusement park that Walt built Disneyland to be better than. I don't think it would draw enough people.

NMBC1993

What do you mean it won’t draw enough people? I mean as soon as I'm done at a theme park I definitely would want to......go.....to a....theme park?
I'm sorry, I just couldn't help myself:hammer:

disneytopdog

They really need a theater in DTD to run the Disney Broadway musicals. Even if they dont want to show the ones that are currently on Broadway thay can show the ones that have closed.

They could also build a ice rink theater and show those Disney on Ice productions that tour the US. During the day it can be used for open skating.

BelleGurl

Here are some ideas from me.

1.Do something else with Disneyquest. I have never stepped foot in Disneyquest before but I do think they need to add some different things. Paying that much for 'virtual' things when you could get into a theme park almost for paying the fee for DQ.

2.Add some new shops. I really hate it how all the World of Disney stores must be together. It makes things real crowded. Keep the World of Disney store. Although, at least remove the Bibbidi Bobbidi Botique and make it its own seperate store. It gets really busy with all those people waiting for appointments.

3.Make new walkways. DTD can get really busy. I think they should make a few more walkways maybe. Maybe even a few bridges.

Add fun to the place.
Do not take this as offensive please, but. I don't think they should add rides to DTD. They have a carousel and train ride already. What would be the point of DTD if they made it into a MK? Magic Kingdom has shops and rides. If they added rides to DTD, there would really be no point in going and they could just remove it all down and put the shops into MK. I really like how you can go in there, get churros:)slurp:), get that disney feel, and shop at Disney stores without having to pay the admission fee of theme parks. If they made it into an amusement park it'd cost admission.

Animaniac93-98

Replace it with more DVC. :lookaroun Make Saratoga Springs even BIGGER!

Seriously the only way to make that dump good again is to work from the ground up or stock some truly exceptional merchandise. Plus:

1. bring back the smokestacks and paddle wheel to Fulton's. It's supposed to be a steam boat 'aint it?

2. Redo the exteriors with more lavish exteriors, lamposts, lights, gardens etc. make the place look really, classy, Disney and unique not just another outlet mall. Taking a page from World Showcase wouldn't hurt or some Victorian/Edwardian feel. hHell, you could make it a grander version of the new Paradise Pier (miuns the rides except the carousel already there). It could compliment Saratoga on the other side of the lake quite nicely.

3. Bring back the WDW Preview Center and have a museum with it.

4. More boats to transport guest. Maybe even some Friendship vessels?

5. More decent restaurants, not multiple takes on Rainforest.

6. Bring bcak Gourmet Pantry

DisneyPrincess5

Well, they are adding Characters in Flight, but I don't seem to be reading anything too descriptive about it... does anyone have an idea of what this will be like?

mnagel55

2. Make some better shops with exclusive items to DTD.

This is my one big complaint with WDW. All of the same stuff can be purchased regardless of where you are in the world (ok you MIGHT not find a yeti in MK but you get the idea). I remember the magic shop on Main Street in MK when I was a kid. There were things in there that you couldn't get anywhere else in the world. Admitedly that was many years before DTD, but the same thing still applies. Overall, Diseny should make the shopping experience unique, not like shopping at Walmart.

ewensell3

And create the typical amusement park that Walt built Disneyland to be better than. I don't think it would draw enough people.

Old Town seems to do pretty well.

It could be a representation of the typical amusement found just outside the gate, but with the convenience of staying on property. Sometimes one just has this urge to be flung up into the sky with a rubber band... Disney's Florida Adventure! :)

I also like the idea of a "Taste of Disney" restaurant. A rotating menu of various dishes from around "the world".

Edit - A broadway-style theatre would also be excellent. I really like that one.

Missing20K

Its fine the way it is. Only recommendation would be another restaurant , perhaps something like Olive Garden. No rides!

This is not a personal attack, I just don't see the point in putting an Olive Garden ANYWHERE on property. We can all (those of us in the states anyway) go to an Olive Garden any night of the week, at any strip mall in America. You can even go to them while at Disney, just go off-property to I-Drive or wherever.

If an Italian restaurant is needed, I would much rather see Disney create a brand new, completely unique concept, than yet another chain restaurant (i.e. T-Rex, Rainforest Cafe, Olive Garden, or any "big-name" TV chef outlet).

Why go to WDW just to get the same experience you could get at your local eatery? It would be akin to going to WDW for a typical "woodie" roller coaster you can find at most regional amusement parks.

hibbsofep

This is not a personal attack, I just don't see the point in putting an Olive Garden ANYWHERE on property. We can all (those of us in the states anyway) go to an Olive Garden any night of the week, at any strip mall in America. You can even go to them while at Disney, just go off-property to I-Drive or wherever.

If an Italian restaurant is needed, I would much rather see Disney create a brand new, completely unique concept, than yet another chain restaurant (i.e. T-Rex, Rainforest Cafe, Olive Garden, or any "big-name" TV chef outlet).

Why go to WDW just to get the same experience you could get at your local eatery? It would be akin to going to WDW for a typical "woodie" roller coaster you can find at most regional amusement parks.

And this is exactly why we avoid Planet Hollywood and Rainforest. We can do those at home

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom