News Improvements coming to the entrances of all four Walt Disney World theme parks

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member

Animal Kingdom looks like it might be done by park opening. Epcot looks done on the outside? Good news - that added 10 minutes of walking to 3 of the 4 parks last fall for drivers and I think there’s gonna be a lot of drivers the next few months.

peter11435

Animal Kingdom looks like it might be done by park opening. Epcot looks done on the outside? Good news - that added 10 minutes of walking to 3 of the 4 parks last fall for drivers and I think there’s gonna be a lot of drivers the next few months.
If it takes you 10 minutes to walk an extra couple hundred feet you probably shouldn’t be walking around the parks.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
If it takes you 10 minutes to walk an extra couple hundred feet you probably shouldn’t be walking around the parks.
The Epcot and Animal Kingdom ones were not a couple hundred feet and the TTC one had the parking tram drop you off a solid 10 minute walk from security for a while.

Also, why?

peter11435

The Epcot and Animal Kingdom ones were not a couple hundred feet and the TTC one had the parking tram drop you off a solid 10 minute walk from security for a while.

Also, why?

The new tram drop of locations at Animal Kingdom, Epcot, and Hollywood Studios are no more than 200-300 feet from their old locations. Magic Kingdom is even less. With standard average walking speed it should add no more than a minute of walking. Yes it was much further during construction but that’s done and now irrelevant. And even then it shouldn’t have taken anywhere near 10 minutes for the vast majority of people.

Huh? Lots of people have disabilities that prevent them from walking fast.

It’s not even about walking fast. To take 10 minutes to move 300 feet you’d have to be moving at half a foot per second. That’s not “not walking fast” that’s barely moving. At that speed it would take you 32 minutes to walk down Main Street and reach the partners statue assuming you never stopped. Or 50 minutes between getting off a bus at Epcot and reaching the main entrance. Yes some people have disabilities that limit them to those speeds, but they don’t walk around the parks.

Last edited:

Rose&Crown

The new AK entrance is such an improvement. The old security area was entirely too small.

I also like how open the MK entrance feels

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Comparison time

0009B78F-6BE0-4377-9614-FA99D0AE1351.jpeg

TrainsOfDisney

The new tram drop of locations at Animal Kingdom, Epcot, and Hollywood Studios are no more than 200-300 feet from their old locations. Magic Kingdom is even less. With standard average walking speed it should add no more than a minute of walking. Yes it was much further during construction but that’s done and now irrelevant. And even then it shouldn’t have taken anywhere near 10 minutes for the vast majority of people.

It’s not even about walking fast. To take 10 minutes to move 300 feet you’d have to be moving at half a foot per second. That’s not “not walking fast” that’s barely moving. At that speed it would take you 32 minutes to walk down Main Street and reach the partners statue assuming you never stopped. Or 50 minutes between getting off a bus at Epcot and reaching the main entrance. Yes some people have disabilities that limit them to those speeds, but they don’t walk around the parks.

The post you quoted clearly said it was good news that the tram stops are completed because it added a 10 minute walk last fall. Nobody was suggesting the newly completed tram stops would add 10 minutes.

Of course if no trams are running that WILL add a 10 minute walk in some cases.

TrainsOfDisney

The new AK entrance is such an improvement. The old security area was entirely too small.

I also like how open the MK entrance feels

It never felt too small to me but the big improvement is now I won’t have to try to deal with security with a Joffreys in hand on my way into the park. (The Joffreys used to be right outside the security check, now it’s right inside the check.)

JoeCamel

Gotta ask about this (if you know).... Was Disney bright enough to use thermal IP cams? Or are they going to try to do this by hand?
Looks like everyone gets the mark of satan on their foreheads. Might use the thermals to single someone out of the crowd but they are not that reliable for mass scanning unless there is a dedicated chute. Nothing like that here.
Pretty sure they think temp checks won't last long

halltd

It's a good thing they built these MASSIVE new security checkpoints and still have the tents out front. :rolleyes: Couldn't they do the temp scanning at the same time as security checks? They must have a minimum requirement to keep these temporary tents around. LOL! They just won't die.

MagicWDI

So with a week or so of the new Envolv Express scanners at AK, how's everything going to far? I hear the only thing you need to take out is an umbrella? And you just hold it in front of you, no stopping.

And since there are little to no photos of it in action, how many of the scanners do they have?

Rider

So with a week or so of the new Envolv Express scanners at AK, how's everything going to far? I hear the only thing you need to take out is an umbrella? And you just hold it in front of you, no stopping.

And since there are little to no photos of it in action, how many of the scanners do they have?
Four, I think. Two at each open lane. That seems to be enough for the crowds they have right now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom