Imagineers have set up shop in Soundstage One

SMRT-1

Original Poster
according to this article about Star Wars Weekends...

http://www.studioscentral.com/column/studios-weekly/looking-back-star-wars-weekends-2010

"The other big change this year was the merchandise and overall, I don't think things were as warmly received by guests. The last few years saw merchandise being sold primarily in Soundstage One, a large vacant building between the Backlot Tour and Toy Story Midway Mania. Well, turns out that the building was being used by Imagineers this year so Disney needed a new spot for merchandise and split it between the AFI Showcase shop and the Prop Shop."

Master Gracey 5

Not sure if its related, but I got an email last night with PIN codes for discounted stays during the off peak times later this year - and it was Monster's Inc. themed. Granted we see stuff all the time from animated classics in advertising, but seems like more than a coincidence here.

EDIT: I should add that looking at the email again, it not only was Monsters Inc. themed, but had a section at the bottom to download an M:I wallpaper...

Tom

Beta Return
I'm still skeptical about this topic. Yesterday they filed two notices (permits) for work in Soundstage 1. They were repeats of ones filed a while back, and are both set to expire on June 30, 2010.

Soundstage 1: Structureal work for truss & curtains
Soundstage 1: Electrical

Unless they're removing trusses, curtains, and electrical infrstructure (which would usually be referred to as demolition), this work is not indicative of "building a new ride".

I still don't believe that Soundstage 1 is big enough to house a coaster of any magnitude. But then again, I haven't seen the mysterious plans that some people claim to have seen :)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I'm still skeptical about this topic. Yesterday they filed two notices (permits) for work in Soundstage 1. They were repeats of ones filed a while back, and are both set to expire on June 30, 2010.

Soundstage 1: Structureal work for truss & curtains
Soundstage 1: Electrical

Unless they're removing trusses, curtains, and electrical infrstructure (which would usually be referred to as demolition), this work is not indicative of "building a new ride".

I still don't believe that Soundstage 1 is big enough to house a coaster of any magnitude. But then again, I haven't seen the mysterious plans that some people claim to have seen :)
Based off of the permits I would guess that they are setting up a stage of some sort or possibly adding some lighting. This points toward a special event of some type or possibly an AFI-esque display more than a new coaster. At best they might be testing out some lighting effects for a new coaster.

Glasgow

Is it just me or does Soundstage 1 have a pretty low roof? Wonder if the building itself would have to be changed.

Eyorefan

I bet that they make an anouncement the day of the Harry Potter opening in hopes to steal some of Universal's thunder.

If they announced a Monster Inc. coaster on teh day Harry Potter opens, the news would be lost completly. Nothing is going to steal Universal's thunder that day. Sorry.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Hummmm.....Imagineers on Soundstage One......could they have been using this area as a work zone for the recent Toy Story Mania upgrade? I thought I read that even though it was an overnight switch (for the game change), it actually took 3 months to get it properly installed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom