Imagineering Weekends : One Sentence Competition Season 2

Daveeeeed

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, after providing guests with the backstory in queue, Mutt subsequently loads them into an amphibious vehicle which almost immediately takes a steep drop down to set the stage for the adventure to follow. After being chased by Russians just inside the cave-like ancient ruins at the entrance, they find themselves outdoors and still can't lose the Russians as they bounce and speed through a forest with swarms of ants all around.

View attachment 174332

As the vehicle reduces speed and adapts to navigate shallow waters and several brilliant waterfalls (one of two nods to the ride it replaced, the other being the Disney statues, resurfaced to look like stone sculptures that line the narrow entrance to the huge room without a ceiling where the 13 ancient alien bodies are seen. In an effect similar to the hatbox ghost, the crystal skull in the hands of the animatronic Indy in the center of the room suddenly disappears and reappears on the head of the alien lacking one, and brilliant lights pour down from the sky to the skulls as your vehicle escapes just in time and you end once again back inside a giant cave, where they disembark into a gift shop within said cave.

The Russians are not so lucky.

View attachment 174333
I love this spin on the classic attraction! Great job in combining old and new while keeping it fresh and very unique! In all fairness, though I don't know if realistically China would want that to happen to the Russians as they are both communist like nations in terms of censorship, but that's a minor critique. I love the way you made the vehicle go into the water too, I could picture that,m and that alone would be worth the wait time, which I would assume it would justify the ride, and be massive. Also, I applaud you for going first and kicking off prompt 4. Well done!

Daveeeeed

The Princess's Story

-In the preshow, the Royal Storyteller floats up near the crowd (the royal storyteller is a magical talking boat that looks like the boat from Wind Waker with a more human face carved on the front) and uses a simplified version Turtle Talk technology to ask a few kids what they dream of being when they grow up as well as tell everyone that he is going to tell the tale how Princess Tarina (An original princess to please Shanghai and their desire to have everything unique) found her story.
View attachment 174621

-Guests board the Royal Storyteller boat (not the AA one used in the preshow theater, but a regular high capacity boat version) for a journey down the river past scenes of classic princesses to hear how their stories help inspire Tarina’s in her quest to understand what her story will be.
-Tarina wonders if her story will be one of bravery like Princess Merida’s, one of love like Sleeping Beauty’s, one of curiosity like Princess Ariel’s, one of kindness like Snow White’s, or one of honor like Mulan’s but after hearing how Cinderella came from nothing and became one of the greatest princesses of all time, Tarina realizes that her story can be whatever she wants it to be!
View attachment 174624

-An original song about the nature of stories, dreams, and destiny plays as the boats enter into the caves under the castle where visuals of people who made their dreams come true are projected on the walls (the projections are all based on what the kids in the pre-show say they dream of being when they grow up).
-The last scene involves the boat passing through the royal chamber of Princess Tarina who is now an adult and assures us that “she wrote her own story and now she lives happily ever after” before our boats go back outside to return to the dock.

-For the holiday season, the queue will skip the pre-show theater and go right to the ride through a hallway where storybooks set up the plot to get to the dock.
-The pre-show theater is then opened up as a small theater where the royal storyteller can interact with kids and tell them holiday stories (for whatever holidays they want to set this up for).
Have you been lying to us and have really been on the forums for years????:p In all seriousness I am time, and time again very impressed with your proposals. Great job on creativity. Love your description of the boat, aa's, and culture sensitivity.

The original story you made I feel would work well, but the downside of this is that it's difficult to make a ride that is not a book report ride that people understand; while your story is very good the understanding part might be an issue without making it a book report. For example, Phantom Manor has an epic backstory, but many people don't know the story or they don't figure it out. The Little Mermaid on the other hand, while is an ip, didn't have to be a book report, but it was. It's in a way a compromise that achieves a balance between story comprehension & quality. I recommend not making it a book report like Mermaid, though, which is why I am glad you stayed away from that. This critique although long really is minor as I feel the pre-show would set the stage well, and I love the idea of it switching to a show for the holidays. (If this is confusing just ask for me to better explain it please:D)
I am keen on bringing something new to the world, so that's what I always look for, great effort, it paid off well!

invadersam

Hey guys my attraction is the art of 90s disney
The ride will be in some off the inventions space at epcot
The preshow is basically a history of 90s disney films
Then you board the ride on a vhs tape type seat
Which you first see a static screen you drive through
Then you go through each of the film scenes which ends with remember the Titans
You exit and enter the 90s rad gift shop

Last edited:

Daveeeeed

Maleficent's Castle
Maleficents-castle-Sleeping-Beauty.jpg

Peering from behind the Shanghai Castle will be something unique in Disney Magic Kingdom Style Parks. The view from the entrance will not just be looking down at a castle of princesses, but will also be seeing a dark, contrasting castle behind it. Replacing the Voyage will be a high thrill Maleficent Dragon roller coaster in the center of Fantasyland.
latest

This 150ft tall castle will sit in the water of the crystal grotto, and will have one of Disney's first flying coasters, where guests will board and try and escape Maleficent's clutches and return to Fantasyland, reaching speeds of up to 60 mph and containing 2 corkscrews, this attraction will be indoors (inside the castle) and then end outdoors as you make your escape.
Haha! I love, love, love having a dark side, within Fantasyland. It's like a battle of good vs. evil, and conflict is what drives story, so good choice!
My two critiques here is 1 I feel like having a darker "storybook castle" may have worked better to tie it in, and 2 due to China's elderly population a non-rollercoaster might have been a better choice, but really a genius way to bring this ip in the park. I could just Imagine riding the Mine Train there, and seeing this castle along with StoryBook, and being like "Wow, it's very pretty." Color contrast is good, sightlines would be good as it would be nice to have more depth in the park. So again great job!

Daveeeeed

20 Thousand Leagues Under the Sea
20kpostcard.jpg

Replacing the Voyage of the Crystal Grotto will be the classic Disney submarine ride 20 Thousand Leagues Under the Sea. You will board a submarine and travel deep down into the ocean with Captain Nemo and the crew, but beware of the creatures of the deep ocean. The attraction will be reopened in hopes of sparking new life into the franchise and giving a new generation the chance to experience the attraction.
A triumphant return indeed! I am a diehard fan of Jules Verne:D. I unfortunately never got to experience this attraction, but it will always remain in my dreams, and if it would arrive in Shanghai, I would definitely book a ticket! And I think many others would too. Great idea to bring back a classic ride for a new audience. I wonder though if it would fit well with the StoryBook theme, though, but really, I definitely think this would be a crowd pleaser, here and there!

Daveeeeed

Hey guys my attraction is the art of 90s disney
The ride will be in some off the inventions space at epcot
The preshow is basically a history of 90s disney films
Then you board the ride on a vhs tape type seat
Which you first see a static screen you drive through
Then you go through each of the film scenes which ends with remember the Titans
You exit and enter the 90s rad gift shop
I really like the ideas, but the replies will be to a specific prompt. Prompt 5 will be posted within 20 minutes for sure.

Daveeeeed

The Journey to the Crystal Grotto

One of the biggest head-scratchers to come out of Shanghai was the Voyage of the Crystal Grotto that really didn't reflect what the attraction was about so in an effort to fix that, the waterway has been paved over and the attraction has now become a walk through attraction that allows guests to wander at their leisure, children to play and explore, and the family to enjoy the magic and wonder that lie around every corner.

Keeping with the "authentically Disney, but distinctly Chinese" theme, guests will enter through a shrine dedicated to the Crystal which lies at the heart of the attraction (the birthplace of the magic and imagination of the park) that will can be released when the guests complete this journey using their imagination, and almost immediately they will see the crystalline ceiling of the cave and the waterfalls that rush by.

Guests can also choose of several tunnels that lead to different interactive elements such as the Riddle Room ( crystal studded tree that dispenses riddles), Gemstone Stepping Stones (where every gem stepped on with sing and glow), a room where guests stand in front of giant crystals and see themselves in different fantasy worlds, Color Caverns (a touching area where the wall made entirely of crystal gems will like up and change into a rainbow of colors), the Mirror Pools, or the Wonder Ground (a place where guests can climb and explore a fanciful playground).
full
Each tunnel has its own outside portion such as Rainbow Falls (a waterfall colored like a rainbow that flows into colored pools), Inspiration Point(an all-natural playground to climb and enjoy the natural wonders of nature), or the enjoy jumping puddles (where kids can try and catch the water that soars overhead before disappearing into another puddle) at the Soothing Springs, and once guests have enjoyed the outdoor portions, they can wander back inside to complete their trek to the Crystal at the heart of the attraction.

Once reaching the heart, gaze in wonder at the Crystal, the legendary giant gem that floats as if suspended over a pool of water, and about every 15 minutes or so, the crystal will release the magic and imagination shown by the guests in a dazzling spectacle of light that illuminates the entire cave, causes water fountains to erupt in a beautiful display, and guests can watch the magic travel along the cavern walls which activates several crystals embedded into the ground to emit enchanting music and rays of golden light.
full
For the holidays (keeping with the "authentically Disney, but distinctly Chinese"), this attraction will celebrate the Lantern Festival by hanging red lanterns from the Riddle Tree that will dispense the riddles as per customary, at nighttime during the Mid-Autumn Festival there will be a small show held at the Rainbow Falls as part of the moon celebration, Chrysanthemums will be laid out at the base of all of the pools and in the Crystal Heart cave during the Chongyang Festival, and the Winter Solstice will feature artificial snow on the outside portions for guests to play in.
Didn't expect this, but as usual, you surprise me, and I really like that! I definitely think that having this as a walkthrough was actually a wise decision, because as a ride you have limited viewing time per seen, usually not more than 30 seconds, so this way you can soak up everything. Love the different tunnels with rooms idea: extremely well done, and used very creative ideas!!!
I, unfortunately, am going to have to dock some points as you broke the two photos requirement, but you'll be fine as you've done and will continue doing an incredible job!

Daveeeeed

Attack on the Sanctum
latest

This E-Ticket retells the Battle for the Hong Kong Sanctum, and you join Dr. Strange and his allies in an epic battle to save the city. The ride is mostly backward to simulate going slowly backward in time. The ride uses similar technology to the Amazing Spiderman at Universal's Islands of Adventure, whose screens will allow for trippy scenes such as walls moving to occur. The attraction concludes with Doctor Strange noticing our vehicles, and sending us through various dimensions (in which some easter eggs to movies like Aladdin and Mulan can be seen), which are all outside, before deciding to train us. There is also a walkthrough of the sanctum attraction, which extends on the queue for the e-ticket similar to The Forbidden Journey, which is always decorated for the holidays.

(Sorry I'm now obsessed with this movie)
I haven't seen it yet:brb::D. I think it looks great, and if the trailers & reviews are anything to judge by I am sure it's fantastic (plus your word of course:p). To be completely honest, I never and I mean EVER though Marvel should go in Fantasyland, but you've changed my stance. Dr. Strange with it's magic etc. really could be a smart move to introduce to the parks in Fantasyland. I really like the ideas about time travel and the moving walls. I wish you would have elaborated (slightly) on why Dr. Strange sent us through different dimensions, but really overall a superb job!

Daveeeeed

Expedition : Huns Retaliation
In this daring journey through Han territory, you acquire thrills and adventure, the vehicle you will ride in is the rocket wagon.
058213a0e7a4cc53e1b37e8f42aa52e3.jpg

You will start off indoors going through the ceremony of thanks for Mulan, though the party ends here for Han soldiers are still scattered about.
8c74907773159.560b166b79e04.jpg

You and the remainder of the army proceed to a town that is in ruins and is burning as smoke flows about, you can hear the chant of the Hans in the distance (This portion is outside}. The following scene is a fast pace clash of the armies, arrows are flying, swords are striking, all of this is projected by holographic displays (This is also outside)this scene ends by your vehicle entering a burning building. Once inside you see a large crowd of trapped civilians, suddenly a group of Hans come around a corner and grab and restrain Mulan, this incident storms Mushu into a rage mode sending a condensed inferno towards the Hans and you free all of the imprisoned people and we all live happily ever after.

Holiday Overlay : During the United States Presidental election all Mulan animatronics are replaced by Hillary Clinton. In Mulan, Mulan fights to be her own person and not what society wants her to be. Hillary Clinton will fight for Women's rights!
Nice job on using "Authentically Disney, Distinctly Chinese" to your advantage! I feel like that scene with the clashing armies would not only be climatic, but iconic:happy:. I like the pacing and feel like it would translate well into an attraction. Well done!

And of course, I think this is going to be our PPA winner:D.
(Presidential Potato Award)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom