Imagineering Weekends : One Sentence Competition Season 2

spacemt354

Chili's
Lab 82
Merging the optimistic view of Future World and the international essence of the World Showcase will be Lab 82 at The Odyssey. Guests are invited by The EPCOT Center's leading "food scientists" to try out their versions of dishes from around the world with the twist of using innovative techniques and ingredients. The restaurant will use a preset menu set-up similar to The Garden Grill with seasonal changes and updates. The dining room will be a minimalistic mix of white, metal, and glass so that the two focal points of an open kitchen, and the kinetic landscape of Future World merging into the World Showcase shown through giant glass windows dominate the space.
I really love the ideas here for this one. I'll probably say the same thing I said to DlpPhantom, in that - this restaurant feels like it would fit so amazingly in the Land Pavilion, next to Living with the Land in particular. Imagine using the food they grow in that attraction specifically for the restaurant, using new growing techniques etc. Granted they do use some of the foods for a variety of the restaurants in Future World, but overall it's a great pitch, I just think it would work better in a different location - keep up the nice work though!:)

spacemt354

Chili's
Sorry I missed the last challenge - combo of work and travel got the better of me. Moving on:

Epcot's Wonderful World of Flavor

Simultaneously presenting food and educating guests on how to prepare it, this new, one-of-a-kind restaurant will boast a dining room and a "kitchen theater" which will have daily competitions among local and national chefs as they create new and intriguing dishes in a wide variety of cuisines. The restaurant portion will feature the most popular winning items from previous competitions and the menu will be updated on a regular basis, with some menu items achieving "hall of fame" status. The theater will offer both major-scale competitions as well as "quick takes" during the day offering smaller-scale cooking tips and techniques. A culinary gift shop will be stocked with gadgets and tools that every kitchen of the 21st century will want to have.
Hey welcome back michmousefan!

Another very interesting concept here. This feels like a "wonderful" restaurant, and I really admire the gift shop and and the edutainment aspects of the show, though for some reason, I'm seeing this restaurant being placed elsewhere other than Future World. It may just be me, and don't get me wrong, this is a fabulous concept, for me it would probably work better in distinct setting rather than a themed land like Future World. Though great job nonetheless.

spacemt354

Chili's
Food Fest
full

Taking a page from Epcot’s dedication plaque, Food Fest promises to entertain, inform, and inspire guests in this new sit down restaurant located in the Odyssey building using the many innovative cooking techniques that are growing in prominence. For Lunch, guests are treated to a menu inspired by Fusion Cuisine, such as French Vietnamese and other combinations, sure to inspire the palate with such tasty treats as Wasabi Tuna Sliders, and Baked Pumpkin Wontons (a mix of pumpkin, cream cheese, and spices). Dinner is sure to entertain guests with its emphasis on Molecular Gastronomy (and other disciplines), and if you are the lucky table, a chef will prepare your food using thermal immersion baths, centrifuges, and possibly liquid nitrogen for the enjoyment of all of the restaurant guests out in the main dining area. If your table is not quite ready, please enjoy a relaxing beverage at Sippers, a bar located outside the main dining room with a wide array of spirits and non-alcoholic beverages. If you sign up for one of the Food Showcase Tours, you can meet the head chef of Food Fest where he or she will not only show you around the kitchen and inform you on how the kitchen is run daily, but also teach you and your party to make a signature dish of the restaurant.
As soon as I saw molecular gastronomy I was like...okay...this sounds interesting:p:bookworm:

Preparing food with liquid nitrogen:eek:
373233-liquid-nitro-embedder.jpg

Much like michmousefan's this is a very interesting choice - the one thing I will give this credit for is it elaborated on specifics and on the theme of World Showcase type foods. That gave it credence for being in this location, yet also incorporating a "food from the future" type vibe - a very inspired decision!

spacemt354

Chili's
CommuniCore Terrace

Themed similar to the Tomorrowland Terrance in the Magic Kingdom, this quick service restaurant will be an extension of CommuniCore, continuing the futuristic themes of the area. The restaurant will be very modern, and house interactive elements such as robotic servers that take your orders, lighting above tables that lets you know if a table is open, and automated trashcans that recycle your garbage on sight. CommuniCore Terrance will embody the spirit of Future World in a bold new way.
I like the emphasis on connecting CommuniCore with the outside area, and especially the recycling aspect and gearing towards the future. I'm a little concerned on the robotic servers, unless you're talking about just automated ordering techniques, but nevertheless, I do appreciate the connection with the surrounding elements of Future World!

spacemt354

Chili's
img_a4c7-5d15__85092_zoom.jpg

Starship NOVA

Starship Nova, inspired by the new craze in outer space due to box-office hits like Star Wars, seats guests inside of a train-like spaceship, in which windows show views of various planets (with some Star Wars cameos) and other galactic bodies.

The restaurant opens into a star dock lounge, which connects to 3 “loading docks” where the three “spaceships” are.

Meals take around an hour, cast members then get 30 minutes to prepare the starship for the next wave of guests, so that new guests can be shuffled in every hour and thirty minutes per starship.

Guests are encouraged not to leave their spaceship during their stay, as there will be everything one needs on board (including bathrooms, changing stations, etc.)

This restaurant will be reservations only and will have a prefix menu served with food from all around Earth to show our unification in the new galactic age.
Last but certainly not least!

I like how the name is a combination of Star Trek (Starship Enterprise) and Guardians of the Galaxy (NOVA Corps):p:D That being said I think I will echo the same sentiments I gave David in his review. I love the concept of a futuristic style restaurant, though something this futuristic to me feels like it belongs moreso in Tomorrowland rather than Future World, for the same reasons I gave to David. Though again, this doesn't discount that the creativity is ther - I'd probably just put this great idea in a different location!:bookworm:

spacemt354

Chili's
Prompt 5 - October 1982 - Results

Another very (very) tough round - you all put out fabulous work - again words can't express how I'd love to give all of you 1st place, but some did stick out in the end

Without further delay - here are the results!

honorable-mention.jpg

Goes to @OvertheHorizon for World Culinary Odyssey
and @Fox&Hound for The Neighborhood
and @FigmentPigments for Food Fest

Bronze Medal...
bronze_medal.png

Goes to @Tony the Tigger for the quick service/table service Odyssey

Silver Medal ...
94e277b35b521e8bfef0d840a52aceab.png

Goes to @Disney Dad 3000 for Rails

Gold Medal...
gold_medal.png

Goes to @Magic Feather for Four Winds Cafe

Participation Awards!
last+place+loser+tropy+ribbon+funny+loser+sports+charlotte+bobcats+last+place+detroit+lions+worst+team+mets+loser+trophy+basketball+funny+news+funny+sports+news+funny+making+fun+of+players+sports+athlets.jpg

Thank you for submitting and for your great ideas - let's get to the next challenge!:)

spacemt354

Chili's
Medal Leaderboard - Updated 9/8/2016

G = Gold
S = Silver
B = Bronze
HM = Honorable Mention

Magic Feather - 2G 1B
OvertheHorizon - 1G 2S 1B 1HM
FigmentPigments - 1G 2HM
Tony the Tigger - 1S 3B
David2319 - 1G 1S
Brer Robbie - 1G 1B
Fox&Hound - 1S 1HM
Disney Dad 3000 - 1S 1HM
michmousefan - 1S
kmbmw777 - 1B 1HM
DlpPhantom - 1HM
Angels and Disney's - 1HM
tcool123 - 1HM

FigmentPigments

Prompt 5 - October 1982 - Results

Another very (very) tough round - you all put out fabulous work - again words can't express how I'd love to give all of you 1st place, but some did stick out in the end

Without further delay - here are the results!

honorable-mention.jpg

Goes to @OvertheHorizon for World Culinary Odyssey
and @Fox&Hound for The Neighborhood
and @FigmentPigments for Food Fest

Bronze Medal...
bronze_medal.png

Goes to @Tony the Tigger for the quick service/table service Odyssey

Silver Medal ...
94e277b35b521e8bfef0d840a52aceab.png

Goes to @Disney Dad 3000 for Rails

Gold Medal...
gold_medal.png

Goes to @Magic Feather for Four Winds Cafe

Participation Awards!
last+place+loser+tropy+ribbon+funny+loser+sports+charlotte+bobcats+last+place+detroit+lions+worst+team+mets+loser+trophy+basketball+funny+news+funny+sports+news+funny+making+fun+of+players+sports+athlets.jpg

Thank you for submitting and for your great ideas - let's get to the next challenge!:)
Great job, everyone and congratulations to Magic Feather! Horizon, it looks like you've got one of each. ;)

spacemt354

Chili's
Prompt 6 - October 1993
Horizons+-+Vista+Teaser.png

Jumping ahead to 1993 - General Electric's contract with Horizons has ended, and unless WDI is able to renegotiate a contract with GE, the attraction will have to be shut down. GE's requirements are that the attraction gets a face lift, a full refurbishment, and an attraction that will entice guests for decades to come.

The Challenge:
In this scenario, you are tasked with designing an "elevator pitch" for a full-scale refurbishment of Horizons. This can be anything from a complete reworking of the interior, to a new narrative; all resources in 1993 are at your disposal to make sure this attraction doesn't get shut down, and you have an attraction that will entertain guests into the 21st century and beyond.

Like last round, you can include 1-5 sentences in your description. You may also include an image and music if it helps.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask! Horizons 1 is now departing....

This project will be due on Sunday September 11th at 8 PM EST (but you can turn it in early if you wish!)

Good Luck and Have Fun Imagineers!:)

Daveeeeed

Prompt 6 - October 1993
Horizons+-+Vista+Teaser.png

Jumping ahead to 1993 - General Electric's contract with Horizons has ended, and unless WDI is able to renegotiate a contract with GE, the attraction will have to be shut down. GE's requirements are that the attraction gets a face lift, a full refurbishment, and an attraction that will entice guests for decades to come.

The Challenge:
In this scenario, you are tasked with designing an "elevator pitch" for a full-scale refurbishment of Horizons. This can be anything from a complete reworking of the interior, to a new narrative; all resources in 1993 are at your disposal to make sure this attraction doesn't get shut down, and you have an attraction that will entertain guests into the 21st century and beyond.

Like last round, you can include 1-5 sentences in your description. You may also include an image and music if it helps.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask! Horizons 1 is now departing....

This project will be due on Sunday September 11th at 8 PM EST (but you can turn it in early if you wish!)

Good Luck and Have Fun Imagineers!:)
I got this one:D

DlpPhantom

Horizons Century 4
Sponsored by General Electric
horizons-3[1].png

The update of the beloved Epcot Center attraction Horizons will update the ride for the next generation. the original ride vehicle and track would be used. The message of the original would be retained along with the theme song. The ride would have James Earl Jones as its new narrator. The queue would still take guest through a airport of sorts. The ride would then quickly touch upon Jules Verne and what we though the future would be like in the 80's. It's a big Great beautiful Tommorow would play during these first couple of scenes. The ride would feature what life on the moon and mars could be like. It then takes guests back to earth to explore under water farms. In this scene submarines would tend to crops. Afterwards shows how robots will help us in the next century. This segment includes a cameo from the butler robot and the kitchen robot from the original.
4458764149220332be465e0da38b9d7c[1].jpg
It also shows us how they will be used to save lives in the medical field. The ride shows a robot do a surgery. One final segment would show a train that uses magnets to propel its self and is capable of going 200 miles an hour. The finally would have us pick between flying to mars, following a jet pack around a city and take a submarine to the under water farm.
The ride would exit into a room full of interactive activities.The exterior will be repainted with a black and blue color scheme along with added supports.
3227749610_53426c7ef6_z[1].jpg

Attachments

• 3227749610_53426c7ef6_z[1].jpg
    3227749610_53426c7ef6_z[1].jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

Good Things On The Horizon - sponsored by G.E.

Each guest begins seated and strapped into their own individual open pod, though the pods move together in rows of three, and a single slowed-down, barely recognizable instrumental line from "There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" plays at the beginning.

As each pod slowly follows the outline of the ride, each historic G.E. invention is highlighted by the narrator, and a demo of that invention lights up in the center of the room, and stays lit as the others come to life - from the light bulb to the laser to the Gemini V spacecraft - as the narrator wraps with "...but you've heard all this before" (and everything goes dark again.)

Each pod then goes up to the next level where we see "the present" era from the 1978 electric car to the 1983 MRI to the 1986 lighting of the Statue of Liberty and the brand new 1992 Mars Observer built for NASA.

1992-Mars-Observer.jpg

Finally, each pod ascends to the top level with easily updated pictures of new projects in the works including hints at medical, space, and energy advances, and that your own personal vehicle may one day follow the path of the Mars Observer. At that moment, a clear shield comes around the front of your pod, and you realize you have been in a small rocket-ship type vehicle all along, which then goes straight up into the sky and you can see outer space projected above you (and the rest of WDW all around you on your way back down the light-bulb shaped attraction.)

OvertheHorizon

horizons21

Horizons 21

The Horizons pavilion has been operating for ten years, but since its edutainment objective is for us to consider what innovations are possible “just over the horizon” we will adjust the story line as follows: 1) Replace what the “future looked like in the past” with a creative look at dreamers and doers, the visionaries and achievers who saw the future and made it happen, utilizing AA’s of pioneering scientists, inventors and explorers, such as Tom Edison, Marie Curie, George Washington Carver, and Neil Armstrong in vignettes depicting their achievements, 2) Update the Ominmax portion of the ride by adding images from the Hubble Space Telescope, in vitro fertilization, and the new World Wide Web, while updating portions related to space rockets, microprocessors and the cityscape, and 3) Tweak the existing city/desert farm/space/sea colony with additions of innovative energy solutions (solar, wind, undersea turbines) and updated communications technology. Physical refurbishment will involve cladding the pavilion in silvery panels and lining the ribs on the roof’s surface with thin strips of rainbow colored lights, while the omnimover vehicles will be changed from orange to periwinkle blue. Although Horizons has always focused on the journey to the 21st Century, these improvements will merit re-naming the pavilion to Horizons 21.

FigmentPigments

New Horizons

latest

Horizons was originally designed to be a sort of sequel to Carousel of Progress, but you were merely an observer of the future, passing by scenes without really experiencing it; New Horizons will take you into the heart of the future to really get the feel of the endless possibilities, and this new take will drive the point home: the future is all up to you.

Along with the outside of the building being repainted with lighter neutral tones, a new theme song will take center stage, as well as the ride vehicles getting rid of their boxy appearance for a rounder, lighter look with the clear emblem of HORIZONS 1 embossed on the front.

(start at 10:57)

The early ride scenes (Looking Back At Tomorrow) will be part of the queue that you can either stop and look at or bypass (as it will not impact the ride experience), and then you will enter into the Futureport (a space port with updated effects complete with baggage claim) to board your shuttle to the many possible futures narrated by Morgan Freeman.

Traveling into the future, you smell the sea salt before diving into the oceans (simulated with lights and projections) with aquatic vehicles and marine life passing above, below and to the sides, you enter into the underwater habitat to dry off and witness the classroom scene, then you rise out of the water amidst a field of green fruits (fruit smell) before soaring above the crops where the vehicle will tilt slightly to let you gaze over the automatic farming machines and the woman overseeing the operations, you then weave in and out of the flying cars of the cities, and lastly blast into space (which will utilize the updated technology of OmniMax IMAX screens) where you will actually travel through the gravity wheel as it rotates around you with the occasional person (or dog) floating overhead.

On the way back to the Futureport, you still get to choose your ending but with more choices (what you want to do, where you want to live, and how you want to get there) and the screen will display each unique collection of choices into a specialized presentation; but before leaving make sure to stop by the Passport booth that will take your photo to print out a “passport” stating where you live (Mesa Verde, Brava Centauri, Sea Castle, or Nova Cite) and what your occupation is (teacher, agricultural engineer, surgeon, etc) with the New Horizons mission statement printed at the bottom: If we can dream it, we can do it, as long as we reach for new horizons.

spacemt354

Chili's
Everyone's proposals have been fantastic. I have to do this one:bookworm:

New Horizons presented by G.E.

What made Horizons so special was not only its connection to the Carousel of Progress and vision for the future, but that it was the only Epcot attraction to deal with all the themes that Epcot embodied; communication, transportation, health, land, air, sea, space, and imagination.

In 1993, Horizons was updated for a brighter tomorrow, being renamed New Horizons, the attraction will be refurbished and upgraded for the next few decades, with the first upgrade taking place in the queue - showcasing different travel posters and worlds to explore along with the flight chart, in addition you can hear the old Horizons "space" music being played in the background as a nod to the former version.
nasa_8.jpg

As the attraction begins, the narration has changed to people of the future, showing you the future, and then traveling (backwards in time) to the present day - almost like the reverse of the original attraction and of Spaceship Earth). By using this method, the attraction drifts backward in time, showing the first colonies in space, air, and, land, and then traveling a little further back to show that ordinary people in this world make it extraordinary, and that these seemingly science fiction realities on the horizons are in fact possibilities that we can achieve.

The attraction ends with a time warp of the last few decades showing the progress in science, communication, and all of the other Epcot themes, with inspiration music booming in the background, and a final image of present day Epcot showing where we are today, before returning to the spaceport for the unload procedure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom