I'm not excited for Avatarland/Other attractions I wish would be built

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
You may be exactly right about the fist shaking, I do it all the time walking into the old WoL pavilion.

I just am a bigger fan of action and experimentation by the parks people than the stagnation and decay they so often seem to favor. I'd always prefer original ride concepts and ideas, but seeing Frozen helps my kids connect, so even the admittedly tenuous connection to Norway I can work with for the time being.

And although we can debate the placement of all the inclusions all over the World (especially stuff in Tomorrowland), I have always been a bigger fan of character inclusions in the Showcase. I think it makes it more kid-friendly touring with my family, and they get to be exposed to all the more adult toned stuff I want to see. But again, to each their own.

I would actually think that IaSW would make an excellent move to the American pavilion if there was room, perhaps with something on Disney's World's Fair involvement.

What they should do in WS is have historical/famous/culturally significant icons in each pavilion. Myriad ways they could include them. You see Louis the XIV come out in France in his crazy sun king get up. I'd wait in line to meet him. Ninjas crawling all over Japan at night. If they tag a kid, the kid gets a sticker saying a ninja got 'em. If a kid can sneak up on a ninja, they get a "I beat the EPCOT ninjas" pin or something. You could have the old and new. Meet Shakespeare and Doctor Who in the UK. You get the idea. And if you really want to update WS, you've got half a dozen expansion pads. I believe the last new country was 1988. They need to quit being such complete wussies and realize that education and entertainment can be one in the same. They used to know that.

DisneyMusician2

What they should do in WS is have historical/famous/culturally significant icons in each pavilion. Myriad ways they could include them. You see Louis the XIV come out in France in his crazy sun king get up. I'd wait in line to meet him. Ninjas crawling all over Japan at night. If they tag a kid, the kid gets a sticker saying a ninja got 'em. If a kid can sneak up on a ninja, they get a "I beat the EPCOT ninjas" pin or something. You could have the old and new. Meet Shakespeare and Doctor Who in the UK. You get the idea. And if you really want to update WS, you've got half a dozen expansion pads. I believe the last new country was 1988. They need to quit being such complete wussies and realize that education and entertainment can be one in the same. They used to know that.
As a teacher I agree, but I'd point at the old Epcot numbers and tell you it didn't always work with the general public.

And all those cultural icons will not resonate with a 8 year old unless they're being introduced by Phineas and Ferb

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
As a teacher I agree, but I'd point at the old Epcot numbers and tell you it didn't always work with the general public.

And all those cultural icons will not resonate with a 8 year old unless they're being introduced by Phineas and Ferb

Disagree. Kids would find that stuff cool. Don't underestimate them. I'm not saying EPCOT didn't need to change. I'm saying it is not changing for the better, whereas DAK is. Methinks, we're not changing each other's minds so I will let you have the last word if you so desire.

DisneyMusician2

Disagree. Kids would find that stuff cool. Don't underestimate them. I'm not saying EPCOT didn't need to change. I'm saying it is not changing for the better, whereas DAK is. Methinks, we're not changing each other's minds so I will let you have the last word if you so desire.
Other than thanks for a good exchange here it is: I hope the park does change for the better! You have the ideal right, I just don't know if it can ever be the reality.

TXDisney

MK and Epcot are full day parks maybe even 2 day parks now. HS and AK need additions to make them more then 1/2 day parks.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto

Can you point me to the old Epcot numbers? I've searched high and low for attendance numbers between 1986 and 1996 and have never been able to find them. In fact, from 1982 - 1986 I can only find "combined" numbers between MK and Epcot, and some of the 1996 - 2001ish numbers I have to take with a grain of salt since they were very hard to find official validation on them.

And cultural icons could resonate with 8 year olds, if done in the correct fashion. Make it entertaining and you're all set. How can Duffy be any sort of popular, when kids know nothing about him other than "He's Mickey's Teddy Bear because we said so, not because you've seen him for years in cartoons"? Just sticking the characters out and doing nothing with them, yes, it would not resonate. Give them an entertaining story to tell, or activity to do, and you could make them resonate, entertain, and educate. I've seen large groups of people around each country's "Santa Claus" or cultural appropriate variation, even if that character does not resemble the big jolly red fella that we here in the US recognize, because they give an entertaining presentation.

Wait, what thread am I in? Oh yeah.

I'm excited for Avatarland. Bring on the bioluminescence!

They need a good thrill ride to draw people in at Epcot, or another thrill ride at MK. I'm tired of these kiddy rides that last 20 seconds. EE was an awesome draw, now they need to make another type of it.

Brad Bishop

They need a good thrill ride to draw people in at Epcot, or another thrill ride at MK. I'm tired of these kiddy rides that last 20 seconds. EE was an awesome draw, now they need to make another type of it.

I'd argue that it doesn't have to be a thrill ride, in fact, it may be better if it weren't. It does need to be a really imaginative ride. Something like Pirates - 50 years later and everyone still likes riding Pirates. That's freaking awesome and it was based on just an idea (not a "ride the movie"-type ride).

yedliW

I haven't seen Avitar, and at this point, have little interest in doing so. There is no denying the popularity when it was in the theater, but as was pointed out, there is almost no one (outside of Disney Fan Forums) talking about it now. That will change when the sequels are closer to theaters, but for now.. crickets.. I would rather they have done something with Star Wars, but they started Avitar long before they bought LucasFilm. I'll reserve judgement on Avitarland for when it opens.

As far as other things I think they should do, I would like to see them incorporate the Jungle Book, Sword in the Stone (more than the hilt behind the castle), The Brave Little Taylor and Robin Hood into something.. either dark rides.. or shows or something..

I really like the idea previously posted of adding Australia to DAK, that would be really cool.. they already have kangaroos, expand on that.

I'd argue that it doesn't have to be a thrill ride, in fact, it may be better if it weren't. It does need to be a really imaginative ride. Something like Pirates - 50 years later and everyone still likes riding Pirates. That's freaking awesome and it was based on just an idea (not a "ride the movie"-type ride).

I meant like, we don't need another little-mermaid, finding nemo type ride.

Chef Mickey

Kids can be smarter than you're giving them credit. The things that captivated me as a child didn't always have a "kid" theme. I remember loving EPCOT more than any park. And that was classic EPCOT.

DisneyMusician2

Kids can be smarter than you're giving them credit. The things that captivated me as a child didn't always have a "kid" theme. I remember loving EPCOT more than any park. And that was classic EPCOT.
It doesn't have to do with intelligence, I was the 12 going on 30 kid which is why I'm obsessed with the old EPCOT Center now. But I see hundreds of kids move through my classes every year, and I simply see kids that need a different kind of tie-in than many of us used to. I say add the element, but couch it with a character they know and love and let them have an adventure together.

I don't think its selling kids short, its understanding that if you want to appeal to the majority of those kids in a different way.

cheezbat

-Beastly Kingdom
-Journey to the Center of the Earth
-Mystic Manor
-Fire Mountain
-20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (TDS version)
-Jungle Book dark ride

Build all that and you've got a very full day!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom