I'm not excited for Avatarland/Other attractions I wish would be built

JIMINYCR

I've never even seen it nor do I care to. That kinda stuff just doesn't appeal to me. I've never seen or read HP either. I have no desire or plans to watch it either.
That said I'm glad something new is coming to AK!

Same here. Anything new will be welcomed... at least until I can experience it. Then I'll make my judgement call. Time to give us something to draw crowds to.

copcarguyp71

I will state again that I am not a huge supporter of the premise of Avatarland but I am keeping an open mind. To those so vehemently opposed resorting to name calling, tell me... are you a huge fan of Twilight Zone...Song of the South...Snow White...Swiss Family Robinson...etc? Or, do you enjoy the rides for what they are?

I will not call anyone names here as others have done because I really really do not understand this black and white mentality of "you will submit to my opinion or else.". Why oh why can't we ever have a point/counterpoint without it turning into a dang Barbie Doll fight? Sorry to rant but geeze...civility people.

Edit: let me stop you...yes, I know the Treehouse is not a ride;)

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I will state again that I am not a huge supporter of the premise of Avatarland but I am keeping an open mind. To those so vehemently opposed resorting to name calling, tell me... are you a huge fan of Twilight Zone...Song of the South...Snow White...Swiss Family Robinson...etc? Or, do you enjoy the rides for what they are?

I will not call anyone names here as others have done because I really really do not understand this black and white mentality of "you will submit to my opinion or else.". Why oh why can't we ever have a point/counterpoint without it turning into a dang Barbie Doll fight? Sorry to rant but geeze...civility people.

Saturday Night Live proved that a Point/Counterpoint format will result in name calling.

mergatroid

Pretty good first post.

Avatarland: I don't see it ever being competition for Potter. Not even sure many people know about or even like Avatar. It is somewhat along the lines of Beastly Kingdom, sort of.

Magic Kingdom: Long time coming for the update it is getting. Last time I was there they were just getting started on New Fantasyland. From all the pics I have seen, I like it already. The hub, not so much. I understand the concept though.

MGM: Stagnant is the best word for it.

Epcot: The Frozen thing will only draw to Norway. It is not a kiddie park, it is an adult interest park. From foodies to people who like alcohol, and a mix of both, it is for adults. They pack in the adults for food and wine, and flower and garden festival. In fact many of our dining reservations are in Epcot whenever we go.

I'll go a step further, the Market place or Downtown Disney or Disney Springs or whatever the name will be in 10 years: It is cramped, crowded, and does not offer too much. They are trying to turn that around, but it will still be horribly crowded at any rate. And with Pleasure Island gone, not even the smallest competition for City Walk.

Have to agree with that. Let's face it how many people will have ever heard of the concept of 'Beastly Kingdom'? I'd guess only Disney fan types like us who will undoubtedly know about Avatar Land being built anyway If Disney announced the building of 'Beastly Kingdom' people would just think "Oh a land about made up animals that don't really exist". For those who do or don't know about Avatar (a lot do know about it) they'll equally think "Oh a land about made up animals that don't really exist".

If it's done right I believe people will travel in numbers to visit from far and wide not particularly because they're Avatar fans, but because there's something incredible at Disney to see. This would be the same with a well done Beastly Kingdom, I don't really see too much difference once the idea is accepted.

BigRedDad

Avatar is not going to be as big as Harry Potter. Harry Potter is not that great either after visiting (pre Daigon Alley). Avatar fits into Animal Kingdom. There is space there for a few rides and attractions. AK offers a lot of what Cameron believes with Avatar in preserving the planet. With 2 more films coming out, this is going to build for the grand opening.

Brad Bishop

I agree on some things and disagree on some as well. You can't not like avatar land when it hasn't even opened yet. I think it will actually look pretty awesome. Let's not forget that avatar has more movies coming out, so it will still be current when movies come out, much like Harry potter at UO. I do agree with you on I hope they put more countries in WS. I think they're adding Puerto Rico, but doesn't seem like from what I've heard, that it will be a full on county in WS, kinda like African outpost type thing. I do want to see a country or 2 added to WS though. And I do think HS is gonna be just fine. Star Wars land if they do that will be a huge hit. That and a few other additions will keep the park crowded. HS is my least favorite park I really just to ToT and Aaerosmith and see a show or 2 then park hop.

When you think about it, adding a country or two to Epcot, even without sponsorship, would be one of the easiest ways to add something to Epcot. Put in a restaurant or two, some shops, and right there it's making money. They don't even have to add a ride. If they did it'd be a bonus but they certainly wouldn't have to. Any addition to World Showcase would be welcomed by all. It seems like a dead-easy addition to do.

With regards to Avatarland:

In my mind it just doesn't fit in Animal Kingdom. Well, it fits in the same way Ewoksland would fit. You could make the same arguments:
- Ewoks lived in a lush forrest - it fits!
- Ewoks were cute and cuddly - it fits!
- Imagine huge trees everywhere with suspended rope bridges connecting it all - plus it's Star Wars and everyone likes Star Wars. Ewoksland will be a great addition!

The problem, for both Avatarland and Ewoksland is that I don't see people seeking it out (obviously there are always the die-hard people who would). For example, people will actively go to Universal and Islands for the Harry Potter experience. Avatar land is more like, "..since we're already here in AK, let's check out what they did with the Avatar stuff.."

I fully believe that they are doing Avatarland to compete with Harry Potter down the road but it's really a poor competitive stance:
- Harry Potter had a rich ensemble or characters and places and things which everyone identifies with. People know Harry Potter, Ron, Hermione, etc. They know Hogwarts. They get Harry Potter.
- Avatar was largely a mediocre script with forgettable characters and soundtrack. The one thing that made it special was 3D. It was awesome 3D. After which every movie had to be 3D and the public has largely rejected it. I know I'll go into a 2D version of a movie and skip the movie if 3D is all that's available. James Cameron's prediction was that all movies would be 3D by now. Even as I type this I realize, "I'm talking about the main aspect of Avatar and it has nothing to do with the plot, characters, or locations - it's just about the technology to get it to my brain." I think that's a problem. I know that Cameron has two more epic Avatar movies stacked up but, really, I can't imagine many going to see these. You went to see Harry Potter sequels to see what happens next to Harry & the gang. You went to see the Star Wars sequels to see what happens next to Luke, Leia, and Han. No one cares what happens next to the forgettable characters in Avatar. I barely remember Sigourney Weaver in it. Basically, that seems to be the problem. You're building an entire land, which really doesn't fit in AK, based on a largely forgettable movie - oh, but the 3D was amazing (and it really was)!

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member

Against all odds, you named all my favorite movies/franchises in the exact order that I would rank them.

DisneyMusician2

Main conclusion is, please WDW don't go overboard with the Frozen rides. I know the merch can be replaced but when a new movie comes out and years from now, Frozen may be just an old memory and it would be foolish to sink a lot of money into a bunch of Frozen rides right now. Focus on the Norway ride and Anna/Elsa and then hold off on anymore.
Actually I think one of the big mistakes Disney ALWAYS makes, including Avatar, is waiting TOO long with new popular things until its too late and the buzz is gone. Strike while the iron is hot!

And to be honest, I think Frozen is more of an instant classic than ANYTHING Disney has put out in a decade. I'd be shocked if the impact its had on kids doesn't resonate with them for the next 30 years and make Frozen an experience they'll share with their kids for the nostalgia factor. Just a thought.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Avatar was the prettiest friggin' movie I've ever seen. DAK is the prettiest theme park I've ever seen. Avatar is about conservation, living in harmony with nature and all that bullcrap. So is DAK. It is a fine fantasy addition to the park and I think it is going to be the first piece of visual Disney theme park stunnery that will blow our socks off since, well, DAK was built. It will be around long after the movies are forgotten. It will be popular long after the movies are forgotten. That is my prediction.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Actually I think one of the big mistakes Disney ALWAYS makes, including Avatar, is waiting TOO long with new popular things until its too late and the buzz is gone. Strike while the iron is hot!

And to be honest, I think Frozen is more of an instant classic than ANYTHING Disney has put out in a decade. I'd be shocked if the impact its had on kids doesn't resonate with them for the next 30 years and make Frozen an experience they'll share with their kids for the nostalgia factor. Just a thought.

I'd also be shocked if hard core EPCOT fans aren't walking by that ride in 20 years with fists shaking and voices at full volume. The biggest mistake Disney makes is not what what franchises to include, but where and how they are included. And the occasional acceptance of mediocrity. What makes a good theme park attraction is partially uncoupled from what makes a good franchise. What makes a good theme park is almost wholly uncoupled from any franchise inclusion at all.

Well we are on this topic what if Frozen was where IaSW is now and IaSW was used at one end of WS or the other to kind of set the tone for all the countries of the world being 50 feet from each other and living in peace?

My list of ways Frozen and Norway are related - 1)Jack 2)

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Avatar was the prettiest friggin' movie I've ever seen. DAK is the prettiest theme park I've ever seen. Avatar is about conservation, living in harmony with nature and all that bullcrap. So is DAK. It is a fine fantasy addition to the park and I think it is going to be the first piece of visual Disney theme park stunnery that will blow our socks off since, well, DAK was built. It will be around long after the movies are forgotten. It will be popular long after the movies are forgotten. That is my prediction.
Why do you people continue to post in a thread whose premise doesn't match your own opinions?

Didn't the thesis statement scare you away?

Now where is that Tomato Forum?

;)

DisneyMusician2

I'd also be shocked if hard core EPCOT fans aren't walking by that ride in 20 years with fists shaking and voices at full volume. The biggest mistake Disney makes is not what what franchises to include, but where and how they are included. And the occasional acceptance of mediocrity. What makes a good theme park attraction is partially uncoupled from what makes a good franchise. What makes a good theme park is almost wholly uncoupled from any franchise inclusion at all.

Well we are on this topic what if Frozen was where IaSW is now and IaSW was used at one end of WS or the other to kind of set the tone for all the countries of the world being 50 feet from each other and living in peace?

My list of ways Frozen and Norway are related - 1)Jack 2) ****
You may be exactly right about the fist shaking, I do it all the time walking into the old WoL pavilion.

I just am a bigger fan of action and experimentation by the parks people than the stagnation and decay they so often seem to favor. I'd always prefer original ride concepts and ideas, but seeing Frozen helps my kids connect, so even the admittedly tenuous connection to Norway I can work with for the time being.

And although we can debate the placement of all the inclusions all over the World (especially stuff in Tomorrowland), I have always been a bigger fan of character inclusions in the Showcase. I think it makes it more kid-friendly touring with my family, and they get to be exposed to all the more adult toned stuff I want to see. But again, to each their own.

I would actually think that IaSW would make an excellent move to the American pavilion if there was room, perhaps with something on Disney's World's Fair involvement.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom