I'm not excited for Avatarland/Other attractions I wish would be built

MousekateerAsh

Original Poster
I'm not excited at all for the Avatarland. It's not gonna compete with Harry Potter World, sorry Disney.
I could whine and fuss and complain about it but I'm not because it will bring some much needed rides to Animal Kingdom. However, I wish they had made the expansion into a mythical creature land like they had originally planned to do. To compete with Universal, at some point there is going to need to be a big large roller coaster with a real drop to it (not 7DMT)
Plus with animals there are so many rides you could make there. As in the theme. Lion King ride anyone? Or bring a Matterhorn bobsled version to Animal Kingdom.

Hollywood Studios: Used to be my favorite park. I still call it MGM, but it needs updates badly or they need to lower the ticket price. An Oz themed ride, something like that.

Epcot - I know there is spaces for 8 more countries, but I kind of like how it's a restful/chill park. You don't have to run around as much and it's more relaxing with less kids. Now with Frozen it'll be overrun.

Magic Kingdom - BRING BACK WISHES FIREWORKS. Also, don't waste the time for 7DMT. It's a cute little ride but unless you have a fastpass, I wouldn't wait 150 minutes for it. Honestly, I think MK is doing great and maybe it's time to take a break on expanding that and focus on the other parks. Especially since they just did Fantasyland.

Main conclusion is, please WDW don't go overboard with the Frozen rides. I know the merch can be replaced but when a new movie comes out and years from now, Frozen may be just an old memory and it would be foolish to sink a lot of money into a bunch of Frozen rides right now. Focus on the Norway ride and Anna/Elsa and then hold off on anymore.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Lion King ride anyone? Or bring a Matterhorn bobsled version to Animal Kingdom.

An Oz themed ride, something like that.

restful/chill park. Now with Frozen it'll be overrun.

Also, don't waste the time for 7DMT.

Frozen may be just an old memory and it would be foolish to sink a lot of money into a bunch of Frozen rides right now.

We already have Festival of the Lion King and Circle of Life: An Environmental Tale. How bout something new.. Like, I dunno.. Beastly Kingdom. Put a Hercules ride in there somewhere and have everyone ride pegasus (or however you spell it).

Expedition Everest IS Animal Kingdom's Matterhorn.

Oz is in the Great Movie Ride.. Unless you want an "Oz the Great and Powerful" attraction.. Heck, they might as well put that in Animal Kingdom. It makes just about as much sense as putting Avatarland in there.

Epcot is a problem because Disney probably isn't making that much money over there.. I'm pretty sure Frozen will definitely fix that.

7DMT must be doing something right if it's still so popular.

The nice thing about theme parks is that when Frozen DOES die out... Which it won't.. For years. They can replace the attraction. I can see Frozen being permanent in EPCOT. Princesses never die out. The only time that ever happens is if the movie was a flop from the beginning (*cough* atlantis)

MissingDisney

image.jpg

MousekateerAsh

Original Poster
I was just throwing out stuff that Disney actually owns. And Beastly Kingdom is what I was talking about as it was supposed to be in the original AK (the dragon on the sign)

I know many of us agree that there are some updates/changes needed. So glad they're removing the Mickey Hat.

7DMT is popular because it's still so new. Give it a few years, and non peak seasons and you'll be able to walk on like you can sometimes with BTMR.

Also, just because we have one Lion King/OZ/etc thing doesn't mean we can't have more. I miss Mike Eisner, he was always pushing forward.

Victor Kelly

Pretty good first post.

Avatarland: I don't see it ever being competition for Potter. Not even sure many people know about or even like Avatar. It is somewhat along the lines of Beastly Kingdom, sort of.

Magic Kingdom: Long time coming for the update it is getting. Last time I was there they were just getting started on New Fantasyland. From all the pics I have seen, I like it already. The hub, not so much. I understand the concept though.

MGM: Stagnant is the best word for it.

Epcot: The Frozen thing will only draw to Norway. It is not a kiddie park, it is an adult interest park. From foodies to people who like alcohol, and a mix of both, it is for adults. They pack in the adults for food and wine, and flower and garden festival. In fact many of our dining reservations are in Epcot whenever we go.

I'll go a step further, the Market place or Downtown Disney or Disney Springs or whatever the name will be in 10 years: It is cramped, crowded, and does not offer too much. They are trying to turn that around, but it will still be horribly crowded at any rate. And with Pleasure Island gone, not even the smallest competition for City Walk.

MousekateerAsh

Original Poster
Thank you, Victor!

I agree with what you said about Avatarland. I swear, they shouldn't have let those laid off imagineers take the dueling dragons idea away.

I think what makes me a little sad about Frozen is that it's sort of taking away some of the love from the other princesses. The princesses I grew up with.

Hopefully the survey's at HS means they'll be listening to our suggestions.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I'm not excited at all for the Avatarland. It's not gonna compete with Harry Potter World, sorry Disney.
I could whine and fuss and complain about it but I'm not because it will bring some much needed rides to Animal Kingdom. However, I wish they had made the expansion into a mythical creature land like they had originally planned to do. To compete with Universal, at some point there is going to need to be a big large roller coaster with a real drop to it (not 7DMT)
Plus with animals there are so many rides you could make there. As in the theme. Lion King ride anyone? Or bring a Matterhorn bobsled version to Animal Kingdom.

Hollywood Studios: Used to be my favorite park. I still call it MGM, but it needs updates badly or they need to lower the ticket price. An Oz themed ride, something like that.

Epcot - I know there is spaces for 8 more countries, but I kind of like how it's a restful/chill park. You don't have to run around as much and it's more relaxing with less kids. Now with Frozen it'll be overrun.

Magic Kingdom - BRING BACK WISHES FIREWORKS. Also, don't waste the time for 7DMT. It's a cute little ride but unless you have a fastpass, I wouldn't wait 150 minutes for it. Honestly, I think MK is doing great and maybe it's time to take a break on expanding that and focus on the other parks. Especially since they just did Fantasyland.

Main conclusion is, please WDW don't go overboard with the Frozen rides. I know the merch can be replaced but when a new movie comes out and years from now, Frozen may be just an old memory and it would be foolish to sink a lot of money into a bunch of Frozen rides right now. Focus on the Norway ride and Anna/Elsa and then hold off on anymore.
Feel free to join the discussion over here for years upon years of arguments over the pros/cons of Avatar

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/forums/avatar-land.136/

Tom

Beta Return

It IS going to compete with Happy Potter....just a few years too late, and not on the same level of popularity. But it's exactly what DAK needs.

I could whine and fuss and complain about it but I'm not because it will bring some much needed rides to Animal Kingdom. However, I wish they had made the expansion into a mythical creature land like they had originally planned to do.

So......the inhabitants of Pandora aren't mythical creatures? Seems like it fits the bill perfectly - a mythical land with mythical creatures and a very immersive environment.

To compete with Universal, at some point there is going to need to be a big large roller coaster with a real drop to it (not 7DMT).

No, there isn't. That's not what Disney is about. People can get their thrills at one of the 500 cookie cutter thrill parks around the country. When you start building stuff like that, you completely isolate the target demographic you've been catering too since the 60s: families.

Does everything have to be a ride? They have a Lion King show, which is pretty dang popular and just got a brand new theater. And a Matterhorn......in the same park as Everest? Sure, let's build a lamer version of something we already have in this park.

OZ is an MGM property. Disney is no longer affiliated with MGM. But they do have a fantastic OZ scene in the Great Movie Ride.

Besides, they're obviously updating and expanding the park in the very near future. I'm sure they'll reduce the ticket price in the mean time though.

They're overlaying one attraction with Frozen in Epcot.

Have you actually been to the Magic Kingdom? The one in Florida? Aside from the special holiday versions, they run Wishes every single night.

I believe they are doing just that - focusing on the Norway pavilion, a few Meet-n-Greets, and a show in the studios. I'll take this Frozen fad over the Stitch overrun from years ago. That was nauseating.

Daniel Johnson

How can you say a ride, or attraction, or future show will/won't compete with anything? I would rather give disney and universal credit on doing anything new, outside the box, and against the grain of the newest hottest thing. At least give an unbiased look at future attractions before dismissing any thing within the grasp of modern theme parks. We have all been pleasantly surprised by new attractions once or twice.
who knows if potter will be a hit tomorrow? other well known franchises have fallen from popularity. How do you know that avatarland will not spark New interest in the film? Other not so big franchises have risen to later popularity. It's a lot of open ended question only the future will answer.
Yes, avatarland might not trump Hogwarts. 7 dwarfs might be the last coaster ride built on Disney property. And the price of Turkey legs might quadruple by 2015 and Will no longer be a delicacy at theme parks. The sun might burn out tomorrow...

I know it's not a popular view, but I am kinda excited for avatarland. I enjoyed the movie...the land, if done right could be amazing. And another not so popular thought is that I for one could care less of Harry Potter. But, the attraction at universal is breathtaking imho. But, I thought the same of the mummy when it opened...but I can't enjoy Brendan Fraser in anything after Encino Man, he was that good, I have seen the first mummy movie...none after....the ride still puts a huge smile on my face

I do agree with you about the matterhorn ride. Pop it up next to Everest, call it the twin peaks of wdw. And to bring wishes back...the holiday version isn't the same.....lol

Last edited:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member

I can't wait to here the rest of your conclusions.

BoarderPhreak

I'm not a fan of the Avatar franchise, but can appreciate just how lush and themed Avatarland will be. I think it'll be incredibly gorgeous, if NFL is any indication. And AK needs some serious love. As for competing with Mr. Potter, I couldn't care less - I've never seen it and chances are slim that I will any time soon.

Chef Mickey

You make it sound like Universal is the leader and Disney needs to catch up by doing things like rollercoasters to be more like Universal.

Remember, Disney is #1 in nearly every measurable category. Disney isn't ever going to put in big rollercoasters because that's not what makes them the most visited parks in the world and #1 in everything.

Can they improve? Of course. We are all critical of Disney on this board, but too many of your points are off base or just flat out wrong to even be taken seriously. I'll make a quick list of things you really don't understand or completely goes against Disney's core values.
  • Rollercoasters with big drops - not happening at Disney
  • Wishes - They do it nightly
  • Avatarland - You might not like the content, but it absolutely competes with HP
  • You aren't going to get Matterhorn and Expedition Everest. Everest is a much better ride anyway.
  • EPCOT - I hate ruining Norway with Frozen too, but you're overstating the impact in my opinion. They are just doing one Frozen ride, so they aren't really going overboard with "Frozen Rides."
  • MGM/Hollywood Studios was never supposed to be the only park you visit during your stay. Lowering the price to $50 to enter really does nothing because nobody buys a 1 day ticket to HS and goes home.

Last edited:

216bruce

Two cents worth- Avatar is VERY well known and could easily be as immersive an environment as Potter at Uni. I just don't know how appealing the story and characters are. Beautiful place on film. I liken it to Paris- beautiful place but unappealing inhabitants.
But the ultimate Potterswatter is Star Wars. If Disney does anything reasonably well with the SW franchise , people will forget about visiting Harry in large numbers. Now, if JK Rowling decides to write more books to keep the characters alive (and the movies of those books get made), we have a real competition again. Competition for Disney can only be good and the stronger the competition the better!

TXDisney

I agree on some things and disagree on some as well. You can't not like avatar land when it hasn't even opened yet. I think it will actually look pretty awesome. Let's not forget that avatar has more movies coming out, so it will still be current when movies come out, much like Harry potter at UO. I do agree with you on I hope they put more countries in WS. I think they're adding Puerto Rico, but doesn't seem like from what I've heard, that it will be a full on county in WS, kinda like African outpost type thing. I do want to see a country or 2 added to WS though. And I do think HS is gonna be just fine. Star Wars land if they do that will be a huge hit. That and a few other additions will keep the park crowded. HS is my least favorite park I really just to ToT and Aaerosmith and see a show or 2 then park hop.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I'm not excited at all for the Avatarland. It's not gonna compete with Harry Potter World
I think Hogsmeade and DA were the best thing that could have happened for a WDW fan. Potter turned out great and it only forces Disney to do better. Im sure they went back to the drawing board for a few things to turn it up a notch for Avatar Land. Potter more than likely also played a role in what Disney decided to do for Star Wars. We should 'thank the maker' that Uni built Potter.

Nick Wilde

I think Hogsmeade and DA were the best thing that could have happened for a WDW fan. Potter turned out great and it only forces Disney to do better. Im sure they went back to the drawing board for a few things to turn it up a notch for Avatar Land. Potter more than likely also played a role in what Disney decided to do for Star Wars. We should 'thank the maker' that Uni built Potter.
I agree 100% on this. I even heard some rumor that after visiting DA, some Disney execs asked for more money for Avatarland. And it was apparently granted.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I agree 100% on this. I even heard some rumor that after visiting DA, some Disney execs asked for more money for Avatarland. And it was apparently granted.
Ya, I think someone even posted a few pics of the Disney execs at Uni. I could care less about Avatar, but it will be nice to have more to do in AK and Im sure it will be much better than originally planned thanks to Potter. Whats the word on how many attractions? Ive heard 2 new attractions and a new show. Hopefully it will be more, if not, thats still not too bad as long as one of the attractions is good, im sure the other one will be a spinner:confused:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom