I'm breaking ranks and going West

happyrdhead

Interesting, as we are thinking of our first trip to DL in October, instead of our usual WDW trip...one question I have is how many days would be a good length of time to plan on spending? We go for a week to WDW, but it is my understanding that DL is much smaller, so just wanted an idea from some experienced DL'ers! Kids are 4, 10, 14.

Donna

GiveMeTheMusic

Donna, there's a lot of info in the "Guide to DLR for WDW Veterans" thread contributed by many DLR experts here, but a good length of stay to thoroughly see both parks is about 4 days (3-5 give or take).

teacherlady19

We stayed at the Candy Cane Inn last summer and enjoyed it there a lot. They put on a fantastic breakfast (at least, for us it was great), have a shuttle over to the Parks, but it's close enough to walk it if you don't want to wait for the every-half-hour shuttle. You are also close enough to several restaurants and fast food places, to walk, for eating outside of the Parks.

Candy Cane Inn:

IMG_2239
by jeanniesisters, on Flickr

Candy Cane Inn Shuttle:

IMG_2238
by jeanniesisters, on Flickr

The pool isn't especially elaborate. It's small. The cost per night in July was around $140, which appears to be the summertime going rate for the smaller two-star hotels in the area.

My daughter and her husband stayed on the other side of the park in another hotel that they'd found through Priceline. In retrospect, they won't stay there again, but only because it was a 15 minute walk to the park.

Donna

zooey

The DL on-site bubble is much different than WDW, but there is still a bubble, if you want that. I stayed at the Disneyland hotel and off site both last year on the same trip, and it was much nicer when we stayed at the DL hotel. It's a gorgeous place, Trader Sams is incredible, Steakhouse 55 has the most reasonable breakfast deal ever (and delicious, too), and while the walk through DTD is a little long, its fun to be in the atmosphere. If you CAN afford to stay at the DL hotel, I recommend it, personally. If you're really vacationing there and not just going for a day or two, the Disney resorts are still the way to go.

gboiler1

We'll be joining you later in the summer. Our last trip in 08 we stayed at the Disneyland Hotel before all the rennovations and really enjoyed it. We could see ESPN from our window, but the walk all the way thru Downtown Disney was a bit long, but yes, you can take the monorail in too.
This year we are doing cheaper and I'm thinking about a Choice Hotel since I am a rewards member and can get much better rates.
Checking with MouseSavers is a good idea too. You never know what might be available.
DL is still my fav and in most cases the rides are a bit better then WDW.

DisneyDelirious

Super structures are my specialty!
Premium Member
Original Poster
80 days until I walk in Walt's park. Our WDW trips are always a "surprise" to the kids, even though we have done them annually for a bit. They have no idea we are going to Disneyland. They will figure it out at the airport gate or sometime thereafter. It feels great to be this excited about a Disney trip again.

Californian Elitist

80 days until I walk in Walt's park. Our WDW trips are always a "surprise" to the kids, even though we have done them annually for a bit. They have no idea we are going to Disneyland. They will figure it out at the airport gate or sometime thereafter. It feels great to be this excited about a Disney trip again.

That's cool you're keeping it a surprise. Makes it more exciting.

JillC LI

Thanks.
Yeah, Grad Nites are horrendous at WDW...and i have heard it can get fairly ugly at DL too during that time.

We only have 2 non-changeable days at DLR in May. We will not have early access. The first one is an early entry day at DL so we are going to DCA, and the crowd level is predicted to be an 8 there. The second day is a Grad Nite and is early entry at DCA so we will spend that day in DL. The crowd level is predicted to be a 4. WIll it really be worse at DL on a Grad Nite day (I know the grads have access to both parks, but only DCA closes early for them) than it will be at DCA the day before?

rob0519

Congratulations and good luck. We changed this year's WDW trip to a DCL cruise and looking at DLR for 2015. It's hard to stay away from WDW after all those trips though.

goonie007

We are heading out to DL June 17th - 27th and found a good deal through VBRO.com

They have condo rentals within walking distance of the parks around your price range :)

It is nice to have a full kitchen and multiple bathrooms as well :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom