Im a bad parent

drp4video

Thinking this way is already doing your kids a disservice. Worrying about how your kids will react is not helping them. Of course they wont like it that they are not going but that's too bad. I tell my kids all the time that life is not fair. I am not going to plan my life around my kids feelings. I have been going places and doing things without them their whole life so that is "normal" for them. In fact I think it actually helps my daughters see that a wife and Mom can live a life for herself as well as for her family. My Mom was not "allowed" to do anything without my Dad's say. There is no way I would become a slave to others either husband or kids. My children are well cared for and are happy and they actually enjoy their time alone with their father.

Not sure where this reply to my comment is coming from. I have never had this problem, never been a slave to my husband or my daughter. I was mostly concerned that the OP wasn't going to tell his kids which would be wrong because kids find out and lying would make this a bad situation. Sorry about your mom

lostpro9het

Personally, I wouldn't sweat it! We've taken 3 adults only trips in the past 3 years with our 4th coming this fall, including a Disney cruise. We don't feel bad about it because we take the DD every Christmas and or May so it's not like she is deprived. For the longest time we would spend our anniversary at a cabin when we figured what's the real difference to the DD if we are in Tennessee or Orlando? As far as the DD is concerned, we are not at home but on a trip for our anniversary, the location is really moot so long as we can wish her a good night before bed time each night.

I hope you have a great time, I'm fairly certain you will, as a parents only Disney trip can be pretty awesome!

jaklgreen

Not sure where this reply to my comment is coming from. I have never had this problem, never been a slave to my husband or my daughter. I was mostly concerned that the OP wasn't going to tell his kids which would be wrong because kids find out and lying would make this a bad situation. Sorry about your mom
Sorry if I misread your post. I also agree that you should tell the kids where you are going.

Disney Stine

As a child of parents who have done this to me before - GO FOR IT! I'm the youngest of my family, and while we love Disney World, and were disappointed at first, we eventually got over it. In matter of fact we were more interested in trying to pick out a gift for them to bring us back.
Flash forward many years later - I don't have any kids. I've been to Disney World with my boyfriend and a year later with him again and my niece and nephew. Both trips were very different, both had pros and cons. Sometimes it's nice to go without any kids and do more adult things in the World.
Maybe a suggestion to have your kids involved would be to have them pick out your fastpasses (or one each day...) and a restaurant for you and your wife to go to. Or, for your next trip give them all the choices! They can pick out the hotel to stay in within your budget, restaurants, activities, etc. Just a thought!

ItlngrlBella

All parents need adult time! I forced my husband to go to Disney with me before we had kids (we went twice) because when you go with kids I knew it would be a different experience. Tell them it's your honeymoon and that's about all they need to know. You deserve the time alone and to make memories with you and your wife - happy belated honeymoon!

yensid67

Why not tell your kids you and the Misses is going on a Honeymoon trip that you never got to take, don't tell them where you are going, just that you and Mommy need to get away together, they will spend their time with Grandma and Pap and then when you come back you will have a surprise for them...

The surprise will be little gift announcing where they will be going in 2016 or 2017 for a 2 week trip together. You could even say that Mickey and Minnie or Tinkerbell were vacationing at the 'same place' as you and that's how you got the gifts! Kids that age would believe anything!? Then when you start planning you trip with the kids, include them in the planning so they feel its their trip!

You can make it what you want with your kids, but I would tell a little lie so you could surprise them when you get back!!!!

Just my idea!

copcarguyp71

We are the other end of the spectrum in some aspects. We Have been married 20 years this October, we stayed kid free for the first 7 though and did a bunch of camping/travelling during that time. Once our daughter was born we have always gone away together as a family. I do not judge so please do not misunderstand my tone but I get so little vacation time as it is running my own business that I could not fathom leaving our DD behind on any vacation much less one at Disney. We love our time together as a family and those are the treasured memories that we hope our daughter carries forth with her in years to come that we always shared our time together as a family and we hope that she brings that to her family some day as well.

My own experiences though are part of what shape this attitude. As a young boy my grandparents took me on many vacations with them. They were not affluent or well-to-do but nonetheless they took me along with them to many locations around the world because they loved spending time with me and we were family. I always kept those memories with me along with the realization that the autumn years trips are the ones you typically become the most selfish with because you worked your entire life to be able to take them and yet they chose to take them with me and show me the world despite the fact (I now realize as an adult) that having a kid along must have hampered them at some level from true enjoyment of some things in lieu of showing me the world.

I guess my thoughts are that having kids involves levels of sacrifice and we all need to develop those levels based on our own backgrounds, needs and wants but for me I could not fathom a Disney vacation in your instance knowing how badly my daughter wanted to go and yet leaving her behind. Once again though...everyone is entitled to raise their kids their own way and it is only my opinion based on what I would do with my own family but I have to think that if you did not want to hear the opinions that you would not have come on the forum with the thread title that you chose.

We leave this November for our 20th anniversary trip over Thanksgiving to Grenada and not for one second did I think of or wish that we could leave our daughter (now 12) behind. I want her to see the world and broaden her horizons with exposure to new surroundings, cultures and the beauty of the world and as long as I get to plop my butt in the sand for a while in that beautiful place then I will be happy knowing that 20 years was gotten to as a family and not just a couple.

Nemo14

Why not tell your kids you and the Misses is going on a Honeymoon trip that you never got to take, don't tell them where you are going, just that you and Mommy need to get away together, they will spend their time with Grandma and Pap and then when you come back you will have a surprise for them...

The surprise will be little gift announcing where they will be going in 2016 or 2017 for a 2 week trip together. You could even say that Mickey and Minnie or Tinkerbell were vacationing at the 'same place' as you and that's how you got the gifts! Kids that age would believe anything!? Then when you start planning you trip with the kids, include them in the planning so they feel its their trip!

You can make it what you want with your kids, but I would tell a little lie so you could surprise them when you get back!!!!

Just my idea!
^^^This is just wrong on so many levels...

Courtney6682

So my wife and I were about 70 days out from going on a cruise when she decided yesterday that she just wasnt feeling the cruise and how awesome it would be to go to Disney. Now its me, my wife, and two daughters (8 and 7) and even though Ive been 3 times to Disney, when we went in January of 2014 it was all their first time. We went on and 8 day trip and enjoyed every minute of it. Well, obviously over a year later we are having withdrawls and have been for a while. The kids are always asking when we are going back.

So I got online yesterday and after much discussion we are canceling our cruise and going back to Disney World in June instead for about five days. Now since my wife and I were going by ourselves on our cruise, we decided that it will be just me and her going to Disney, without the kids. They dont know and we dont want them to know to be honest, but my wife and I have been married 8 years and have never been anywhere together, not even a honeymoon. Last time we went it was magical, but because the kids were so young we missed out on a few things that we as adults really wanted to do. The kids will be staying with my parents which they really enjoy doing, but it still feels bad sometimes that they wont be going with us. Regardless, my wife and I decided that we just needed to get away from it all, and what better way to do it than Disney. I'm excited to be going back and its going to be less stressful without the kids this time. We do plan on going again with the kids when all the construction is finished in a couple of years, so its not like we will never be taking the kids back.

I dont post on this forum a lot but I do enjoy coming over here from time to time to look at all of yours. Really puts me in the Disney mood and I'm glad to be a part of it. Just wanted to share this today and say 67 days to Disney. Life is good.

You're an adult and you certainly don't have to answer to your kids! They are KIDS...we are in charge and don't ever have to explain ourselves to them! Go and enjoy every second of your alone time with your wife!! I know I can't wait to to Disney alone with my husband someday!

Tom 55

I have been to Disney World so many times I don't want to say it is boring but I enjoy bringing kids. To the point that we " borrow" or best friends boys to take with us. I tell people they are rentals. We treat them like grand kids anyhow. I like showing off all I know about Disney to make their experience the best experience it can be. On the other hand when we were first married we had two trips to Disney before the kids. Now our kids are in their 30's so we have gone a number of times without them.

Attachments

• IMG_0044.JPG
    IMG_0044.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 37

HRHPrincessAriel

I don't necessarily think of that as a bad thing. Would your kid even enjoy it as much having to do what the dance team group would want to do and have to sit through their performances? Since you are going for the dance team it wouldn't be the same as a family vacation and just seems like it might be a lot less enjoyable.

It would be the same as any school group going and the teacher taking their kid along. It just doesn't seem nearly as fun.
Actually she'd love it. My girls would love it. I'm working though so it's not possible.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Someone once told me that the most important thing to make central in a marriage is the MARRIAGE, not the kids. I think it was my mother, lol. I wouldn't have a problem going without kids, especially since in 8 years of marriage, you've never done anything without them, including a honeymoon. So go, just the two of you. And consider this trip that much delayed honeymoon. Enjoy yourselves.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom