Illuminations without fireworks...

Frank Stallone

Original Poster
villageidiot1.jpg

...Sure was neato tonight...I love me some laser beams...yeehaw!

WDW Monorail

This is very interesting. As mentioned, probably storm related.

If I'm not mistaken, the only other times that IllumiNations was shown without fireworks was during long draught periods back in the mid '90s.

Could also be either a *test* or major malfunction which seems to be unlikely. Ah! so much happening with RoE these days and I doubt I'll be able to stay on top of it since I move to school tomorrow.

goodolgm

I have seen a primarily-pyroless production of RoE before. In my fall 2006 College Program, a line of severe thunderstorms was coming through and just as the big bang went off, it started to downpour and thunder like crazy. Winds had kicked up hardcore at this point too. Inferno barge was set off, as well as the first round of aerials, those red things that cracked in the air. As short-duraiton as those were, they were still blowing into the crowd, still lit. At that point, what happened could have been equated to a e-stop of all pyro, as everything up through the Earth Globe's move to the center of the Lagoon did not fire. Celebration and the finale were EXTREMELY limited...no bursts in the air, and the finale was only the white comets, no bursts in the air.

THAT was interesting.

hpyhnt 1000

Wow, what I would have given to have been there for it. I bet it was interesting to say the least. Probably is Fay related.

Rob562

While not pyro-related, I've seen two malfunctions during the show.

One was the Earth Globe barge having engine troubles. It kept starting and stopping during its move across the water. It would only get about 10 feet at a time. The "rescue boat" did zoom over to it eventually, and tried to help. Knowing the show so well, it was actually exciting to watch, wondering whether they would inhibit the pyro or not. The point where the pyro starts again was fast approaching, and I knew that the globe was nowhere close to being in-place. In the end, they were finishing maneuvering it into place and docking it when the pyro portion started up again.

The other time, a couple of the remote show computers must have been off in their timecode clocks. The first thing noticable was that the torches and walkway lighting didn't go out on-cue. They stayed on until a good minute or more into Chaos. At the end of the show, the lighting stayed dark until that same delay after the show finished.
Also, Canada's lighting was off, probably by the same amount. So it didn't "sparkle" with the other countries, and then a minute or two later it randomly decided to sparkle all on its own... (I don't recall if it was the same trip, but I've also seen the Canada strobes sparkling away in the middle of the day... Even have video of it, I think. Maybe Canada was having lighting controller issues)

As for the Globe refurb, I'm glad it's finally getting the upgrade it so badly needs. And on a purely selfish note, I hope that the refurb speeds along and finishes quickly, because I'll be there in 2 1/2 weeks... :lol:

-Rob

castlecake2.0

They made an announcement over the Park's PA around 8:30-8:45 stating that it would be a limited performance tonight. It was very weird to see the show without the fireworks, wasn't quite the same haha. I'm thinking the water was too rough to bring all the barges out. The Friendships were also not operating today.

I watched Wishes tonight, and they only used about half of the normal amount of fireworks. It wasn't extremely noticeable until the finale, lol. Also, no Tink of course :D

Figment82

I got to watch a fireworks-free IllumiNations back in December when they were practicing for the New Years tag. It's amazing the details you pick up on the lighting of the countries when there are no fireworks to distract! It was a great sight to see.

EPCOT Explorer

It must have been a sight to see...Can anyone elaborate on the Laser Effects?I saw some odd ones in a show last week and I'm wonderring of they were the same/diff.:dazzle:

MythBuster

It must have been a sight to see...Can anyone elaborate on the Laser Effects?I saw some odd ones in a show last week and I'm wonderring of they were the same/diff.:dazzle:

The laser effects are all exactly the same, but sometimes you can see more of them or different ones become more visible depending on where the wind blows. The laser reflect off any particulate matter in the air. So a good rainy night or when the smoke just sits there on a humid night, there seems to be more laser effects, but it just that more of them are visible.

And some nights, if it doesn't seem like there are any lasers, then look around and see if you see some airplanes or helicopters flying around, they have laser spotters which terminate the laser scan if an airplane or a helicopter is in that scan pattern.

EPCOT Explorer

The laser effects are all exactly the same, but sometimes you can see more of them or different ones become more visible depending on where the wind blows. The laser reflect off any particulate matter in the air. So a good rainy night or when the smoke just sits there on a humid night, there seems to be more laser effects, but it just that more of them are visible.

And some nights, if it doesn't seem like there are any lasers, then look around and see if you see some airplanes or helicopters flying around, they have laser spotters which terminate the laser scan if an airplane or a helicopter is in that scan pattern.
Interesting! You are a wealth of info on ROE!:sohappy:

How do you get all this info?:)

MythBuster

And the reason for no fireworks was because of the wind speed. I hope they don't have really windy days when the Globe is out for rehab.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom