Illuminations Disappointment

NeedMoreMickey

The fireworks are very nice but the globe goes on a little too long especailly if you have small children who can't see because of the crowd. I'm not taking a small child and having them wait at the fence an hour ahead of time just to see the globe. Less globe more things in the sky so everyone can see.

WDW Monorail

I find it funny that the same poeple who say they liked the older versios of IllumiNations are the same ones that say that there aren't enough fireworks in the current one or something like that.

People just can't seem to equate a story with a fireworks show. If it's not going boom in the air, it's not spectacular.

Rob562

I find it funny that the same poeple who say they liked the older versios of IllumiNations are the same ones that say that there aren't enough fireworks in the current one or something like that.

People just can't seem to equate a story with a fireworks show. If it's not going boom in the air, it's not spectacular.

Especially when most of the pyro in the original IllumiNations was pretty basic and rudimentary. I still maintain that peoples' memories are much nicer than actual reality. (I know there's a term for that which is escaping me at the moment)

Yes, it was a ground-breaking show for its time, but RoE goes leaps beyond it.

Does no one remember that the very first pyro shell in original IllumiNations didn't come until 10 minutes in? Until that point it was lasers (very basic ones by today's standards), fountains and lights. Are people really complaining about 3 1/2 minutes of Earth globe video and fountains?

-Rob

Mansion Butler

Especially when most of the pyro in the original IllumiNations was pretty basic and rudimentary. I still maintain that peoples' memories are much nicer than actual reality. (I know there's a term for that which is escaping me at the moment)
Kind of like MSEP. I have such fond memories of it from childhood, but when it came back, I realized "yeah, this is fun and nostalgic, but Spectro is better."

graphite1326

Sorry to say this but, I was never too impressed with the ball to begin with. Furthermore, I don't feel like standing around for an hour so I can be up front and be able to see it. Just give me more fireworkds and lasers, less ball.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

Yes, it was a ground-breaking show for its time, but RoE goes leaps beyond it.

Does no one remember that the very first pyro shell in original IllumiNations didn't come until 10 minutes in? Until that point it was lasers (very basic ones by today's standards), fountains and lights. Are people really complaining about 3 1/2 minutes of Earth globe video and fountains?

-Rob

Reflections of Earth doubled the amount of pyro that was used in the original Illuminations. As you say, it's leaps and bounds ahead.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

imagineer boy

Magic Memories & You > Illuminations

IMHO Magic Memories and You < Illuminations times 1000.

I agree the globe segment goes a bit too long, but if they added some WOC type fountains in this segment then the problem would be solved I think.

But as a whole when it comes to thematic structure and music I adore ROE.

TimeTrip

I wasn't a very big fan of ROE until I took the time to watch it from the Showcase Plaza on the sloped area. Up until that point, Wishes was my favorite show, and ROE bored me. But after having seen it from Showcase plaza with everything being in symmetry and being pretty close up to the action, ROE is now my favorite. The things that really sold me were the "spaced red/green" laser effect just before the globe comes out (9:07-9:08 http://vimeo.com/8414644 ) and especially the big rainbow-laser "BAM" moment just after the "sparkly pavilions" at 15:05 in that same video. There is so much going on with the lasers and lights on the pavilions that I always catch something new every time.

Everyone who is a "fence-sitter" should really watch the video at http://vimeo.com/8414644 . There is so much going on :) Although I will still have to agree that immediately after Chaos is waaaay too much globe and not enough action.

TimeTrip

so i can see the back of everyone's head

Head to the world showcase plaza sloped section. If it's not roped off for a special event you should still get a good view... especially if they open the "stage" since that tends to siphon off a large group of people from the sloped area just before showtime. Was able to do this on an evening during the 2 weeks around Easter and still got a good view 10 minutes before showtime even though the "stage" remained closed.

Spike-in-Berlin

I loved the original IllumiNations. Terrific show.
Since they changed it to "Reflections of Earth" or how it is called now, I watched it once and then never again. It lacks all the qualities of the new show, especially the involvement of the nations of WS. I cannot even understand why they still call it IllumiNations.
I don't even bother to watch it when I am in EPCOT when it's shown, rather prefer to do rides instead.

Rob562

I loved the original IllumiNations. Terrific show.
Since they changed it to "Reflections of Earth" or how it is called now, I watched it once and then never again. It lacks all the qualities of the new show, especially the involvement of the nations of WS. I cannot even understand why they still call it IllumiNations.
I don't even bother to watch it when I am in EPCOT when it's shown, rather prefer to do rides instead.

RoE differs from original IllumiNations because its focus was not on the nations standing separate and different from one another, but rather how we are all humans sharing the same planet, and how we are the same. That was the over-arching message of the entire Millennium Celebration.

-Rob

mikeymouse

I couldn't agree with you more. I think they still should and know they could still incorporate the different countries and thier lights, lazers, and music with the globe to do a more representful show of all that is both the world and the world showcase.

Yes Yes Yes! That was awesome! I watch this vid the most out of Martin's entire collection. The fireworks aren't sync'ed very well in the original IllumiNations, but the dedication to the (participating) countries is super sweet!

DisneyMusician2

RoE is my favorite night show on property, and I don't really get the dislike of the show. It is much more original and meaningful than its previous iterations, poorly scored and stereotypical nationalistic music.

In the original score and a beautifully well done synchronization, Disney has achieved something truly original, which is something that people complain isn't around enough in the parks anymore and should be appreciated. And the globe is a wonderful piece of tech and great to observe.

That being said, this is just my opinion. To each their own!

DisneyHamm

Yes Yes Yes! That was awesome! I watch this vid the most out of Martin's entire collection. The fireworks aren't sync'ed very well in the original IllumiNations, but the dedication to the (participating) countries is super sweet!

Yeah what I am trying to say that I think a lot of people mistook on here is that I would personally like not to see the globe part itself changed, but to do more of an incorporation of what was good from the old and combine it with the new of the globe.

I believe that they could find a way that still singles the individual countries, lasers and lights, and the new globe showing the combined world and put on an awesome show. I don't need more explosions or fire, just incorporate the old with the new.

We as a people tend not to like change and do remember things more grand than they probably were. After change has occurred, we typically forget how it was in the past. I would like to see a blend of the two. To give tribute to the past show, but also to improve and grow the new. The imagineer that is able to accomplish both these tasks at the same time is the true hero of the show.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom