Illuminations Disappointment

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
I watched Illuminations on 5/6 for the 1st time since 2004 and was unimpressed.
I remember the day when all of the countries were involved with their lights and lasers and now it's all about the globe.

My opinion: more fireworks/countries, less globe. I understand the POINT of the globe, and the technology is cool and all but I was completely unimpressed with the show. :shrug:

DisneyHamm

I remember the day when all of the countries were involved with their lights and lasers and now it's all about the globe.

I couldn't agree with you more. I think they still should and know they could still incorporate the different countries and thier lights, lazers, and music with the globe to do a more representful show of all that is both the world and the world showcase.

palminnie

I feel the same way. My DH and I were there a few nights during our stay and while we liked the fireworks portion of the show we think the globe is boring. I used to love Illuminations when they used lazers, fountains and the countries were involved.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
The countries are still lit and are part of the show. However the emphasis since 1999 was on the creation and evolution of Earth.

DisneyHamm

The countries are still lit and are part of the show.

It has been 4 yrs since I have last seen the show, and will be there to see it again next week. That being said, last time I saw the show, yes the countries are lit up, but I don't remember them changing. In the older days, they lit up and turned off with the music, each country lighting up on their own to single themselves out.

Does this still happen? Or are they just lit up the entire show, or portion there of?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
It has been 4 yrs since I have last seen the show, and will be there to see it again next week. That being said, last time I saw the show, yes the countries are lit up, but I don't remember them changing. In the older days, they lit up and turned off with the music, each country lighting up on their own to single themselves out.

Does this still happen? Or are they just lit up the entire show, or portion there of?

They are lit in portions of the show in groups. They don't flash like the Osborne Lights or anything like that. It is subtle, but very effective. It's a very different show to the old Illuminations, but a much better show in my opinion. Hope you enjoy it!

ThatMouse

Most, if not all, the lasers are still in place and functional. They probably stopped using them because the fireworks produce less smoke than the 80's & 90's shows. The lasers can still write on Spaceship Earth, but I think they only do this for the Peace on Earth finalle. Last time I was there they played the Tapestry of Nations after as well as Promise and We Go On. The music is the best of all park soundtracks. I did like the classical music of the past too, with Gershwin representing USA.

The TV screen ball is just an upgrade from the previous ball which didn't open up or light up. The lasers would project rotating patterns, including a globe. You couldn't really see it very well, and this TV ball has the same problem unfortunately. They bring it out during the day which to me ruins the magic of it.

I agree they could do more with the countries - each of the countries' lights allow some animation - I don't remember if they still animate.

It's still my favorite light show anywhere. I heard they were refurbing the fire barge, so maybe that was gone when you saw it. It really adds to the show.

blueboxdoctor

Yeah, it is pretty unimpressive. Nothing really happens anymore, there's just the globe, which isn't overly exciting. I did get the CD from the show, and it's very well written, it just has nothing as great to go with it. Wishes is still the best of the firework shows IMO. Fantasia is neat, I just saw it a lot so I skipped it the last two times (probably a good time to go back).

Rob562

I watched Illuminations on 5/6 for the 1st time since 2004 and was unimpressed.

My opinion: more fireworks/countries, less globe. I understand the POINT of the globe, and the technology is cool and all but I was completely unimpressed with the show. :shrug:

FYI, the show is still the same since you last saw it in 2004... It's been the same Reflections of Earth show since the fall of 1999.
The only difference right now is that the Inferno barge is currently out for refurbishment, so the opening few minutes don't have as big of a "wow" factor.

-Rob

gallerie

I love Illuminations and it's highs and lows. What I miss is the old Epcot Parade with the huge drums. I know it congested things up for too long but I sure loved watching it.

klineski96

We haven't seen it in probably 3 or 4 years, yet we've stayed down there at least a dozen times in that same span... that should tell you what we think of the overall show.

Give me Wishes and / or Fantasmic instead.

forevermickey

I will be seeing the show in Sept. for the first time in about 10 years.... Wow! The last time I remember the show the countries did lite up individually... I am interested to hear the new music that accompanies the show... as well as the pre-show music

Contrast

I never got the pleasure of seeing the countires being lit up individually as my first trip was last year. Will have to look on YouTube to see if there's any clips. Personally though I really loved the show, I was really impressed and am shocked that people are saying it was better before. Must have been pretty spectacular!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom