Illness Linked to DAK's Wild Africa Trek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patricia Melton

Actually Patricia, the most common method of norovirus transmission is it actually being on food items that are subsequently consumed and not through casual contact with surfaces it may reside on.

Couple that with the fact that infection can occur via exposure/ingestion of a mere 10-100 actual virus particles and it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility of certain individuals being exposed and not everyone.

Where has it been determined that this was norovirus?

Magenta Panther

On one of my recent visits to WDW, I caught a cold from somebody and was sick the last couple days of the trip. I did not of course stay in my hotel room, drink lots of fluids and get plenty of bed rest. Instead I ran the hell all over the Magic Kingdom, probably scattering magical motes of cold germs wherever I went. :p When I finally went home, I was sick as a DOG. But it was worth it. No way I was gonna miss out on my traditional final glimpse of the Castle and viewing of Mickey's Philharmagic before going home.

misterID

Always remember this: if human beings were as fragile as Dateline or some of these other shows that hype the dangers of germs would have you believe, humanity would have gone extinct millennia ago.

You are alive today because you are the product of generations of successful humans who survived in a much more hostile and unsanitary environment than we have today...and in your genes is the beautiful and miraculous tools that keep you alive despite all the McNasties that are out there in the micro verse.

Do not be afraid of germs...you are to them what Superman or Supergirl is to comic book villains, only with very few shards of kryptonite in existence that can cripple you.

Only in rare instances does a germ get through your defense system. If you were an athlete, your body would be the best goalie in the history of soccer because of how few things get past its defensive skills.

Look, you take in germs anyway, whether you use hand sanitizer or not. You're not handicapping your immunity, but you are cutting down the risks significantly of getting unnecessary germs, bacteria, illnesses that do not help your immunity (but may in fact cripple it) and cut down your risks of getting sick.

We're not talking about walking around in a hazmat suit 24/7, but intelligently and responsibly cutting down the spread of illness and germs. More people need to do it.

You're not going to die using hand sanitzier for a lack of germs to "boost" your immunity. Ask any doctor what the #1 prevention of getting sick is: washing your hands, keeping hand santizer with you.

alissafalco

I think there are very few facts being given and a lot of conjecture.

I can only report that I speak for 6 people who took the Trek recently and we were all fine afterwards. So whatever mystery contagion was administered to others was not given to us. Maybe it was because I was nice to our guide and kind to our bus driver that day.

Just because you and you're group didn't get sick, doesnt mean that there isn't something going on in the trek... Consider yourselves lucky. Maybe something different was done on the day of your trip to differentiate your trip from the others.

Patricia Melton

Just because you and you're group didn't get sick, doesnt mean that there isn't something going on in the trek... Consider yourselves lucky. Maybe something different was done on the day of your trip to differentiate your trip from the others.

Just because some people are claiming "something is going on in the Trek" doesn't mean that's true.

I see a lot of people are quick to blame Disney when it does not seem to me that there are many facts yet as to what is "going on in the Trek".

I was there firsthand and am reporting my experience. Nothing bad happened that I could see. Which means whatever is happening is not happening ALL the time.

There are many variables at work it seems and far too facts present to be able to say WHAT is happening and where people are catching whatever it is.

I personally think these people are all being exposed to something not in the food but during some part of the trip where they catch it by drinking water or riding a vehicle or something where they are picking up a bug together.

Clearly wherever that is, my family and I did not go because we were fine. I do not think people are getting sick on the Trek itself but somewhere leading up to taking part in the Trek.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
All kidding aside, I would take this whole article with a grain of salt. About halfway through the reporter names Dis boards as his source and then starts quoting people who posted there. We all know from experience that not everyone who posts on these boards is who they say they are. It would not surprise me if at least one of the people quoted was not at Walt Disney World at all at this time let alone on this tour.

I know where I live this has been a terrible year for the stomache bug. I had it twice myself and I rarely get sick.

Mammymouse

Every time I put my hands on a shopping cart at Walmart I think if this whole germ scenario. I still shop there though.

luv

All the people at the DoH didn't wake up one day and decide, individually, that they wanted to target Disney. They didn't then all go to work and start whispering in corners about how they could, working together, get Disney.

A bunch of people got sick. After researching, the DoH found out the one thing they had in common was the Trek.

It isn't an issue of pointing fingers at anyone. They try to figure out where it is coming from so that they can fix it and prevent further illness.

Although it totally sucks for the people who were so ill, it isn't a big enough deal to be worth all this anger.

kylewr86

Germs are everywhere. People with weaker immune systems will no doubt catch a illness.Hand washing is the best practice, while i do agree with using antibacterial sometimes,it actually makes bugs worse.We have worse germs today than years ago because some germs that do not get killed with the antibacterial become immune to them.Then they replicate and pass this on to the rest of the germs that is replicated from the original.
Best practice get enough sleep, proper nutrition and be smart about your choices.Do not touch things like handrails when you don't need help walking. Don't try to sue everyone just because the company has tons of money. You dont see me suing my patient that coughed in my face and gave me his pneumonia. He deserved it though, never tried to cover his mouth. Problem solved

The Mom

Premium Member
Just out of curiosity, was there plain water available, and what sort of containers were used to store it?

I ask, because several years ago 3 members of my family had the exact same symptoms as those mentioned in this story while we were all on vacation for a family reunion.

We are fortunate to have a family member who was (now retired) an Epidemiologist with the CDC. He was able to do a history. The one thing all 3 had in common was playing a round of golf at the Ritz on an extremely hot and humid day with a 4th family member, who was not ill that evening into night. The only thing different about him is that while they were guzzling water from the water coolers (those big orange guys)located all around the course, he "unwisely" drank some cold beers instead - they all had the same lunch items. I notified the Ritz, and they replaced all of the coolers, just in case. There was also a slight time lag between symptoms. One felt "off" so did not join us for dinner - he was quite ill when we returned. The other two (same family and condo) became ill after midnight.

If these water coolers were just rinsed and refilled after use, it is quite possible that they could become contaminated over time. My BIL was pretty sure that was what happened, but with food borne illnesses you can never be 100% unless you can get cultures of all potential sources. So it's a more likely than not diagnosis if no one gets ill enough, or not enough people are affected, to warrant further investigation.

I have used similar coolers as a sports team mom. I sanitized them after every event, and replaced the spigot once a year.

If WDW had individual water bottles, then it must have been something else. But I think we all know that food served outdoors in hot weather can lead to problems. Not always, but it does happen from time to time.

It would be interesting if some past guests could describe the food set-up. Were there open containers/tubs of loose ice holding water bottles, etc? Was hot food kept hot, and the cold food kept cold? Was it covered to prevent any insects landing on it. Were there hand sanitzer and paper towels? I can't tell you how many times I've seen people use sanitizer, and then wipe the excess off on their clothing.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I just looked at the CD and the food is packed in a meal ration container of stainless steel. Inside is 3 small stainless steel bowls about 2". It looks like it is all cold food in each of the 3 dishes. Beverage in a stainless steel coffee mug. My son just did this Trek and I'll have to ask how water inbetween was handled.

The Mom

Premium Member
I just looked at the CD and the food is packed in a meal ration container of stainless steel. Inside is 3 small stainless steel bowls about 2". It looks like it is all cold food in each of the 3 dishes. Beverage in a stainless steel coffee mug. My son just did this Trek and I'll have to ask how water inbetween was handled.

Thank you!

wdwfan22

I think there are very few facts being given and a lot of conjecture.

I can only report that I speak for 6 people who took the Trek recently and we were all fine afterwards. So whatever mystery contagion was administered to others was not given to us. Maybe it was because I was nice to our guide and kind to our bus driver that day.

Well if you were as nice to them as you have been on here in some of your post, we can scratch that theroy off.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Thank you!

And the ManChild said:

My son was given a very, very nice travel type water bottle. They refilled their beverages out of a very nice vat. So who knows what the cleaning procedures for those vats are or what the travel type water bottle that they get to keep was washed in or was it washed prior to being passed out?

Might never know if the procedure changed for cleaning procedures.

E102_Gamma

Sounds weird.
Then again,can't you get sick anywhere in Disney?
I remember getting cold on the plane ride back one year.
Adding my two cents on this matter, and expanding the idea of the main topic at hand, there is always a chance of sickness, no matter where you are. Perfect Example?

Many years ago, where my family stayed at Fort Wilderness Campground, I order out Pizza from Trail's End to take back to the family. My dad took one of the slices and told me "It Tasted Funny".

After getting a shower at the comfort station, I come back to the RV to find my dad on the floor puking nonstop on the floor, couldn't even stand up. From what my mom told me it started after a few minutes of leaving the RV. It turned out to be Food Poisoning. It lasted for an hour or two... :( Dad did eventually got better and notified the manager about what happen. Consider it was that only one slice, anyone of us could of ate that slice and gotten sick. When I ask my dad about it, he told me "It felt like fighting for your life"...

You may never know...

The Mom

Premium Member
And the ManChild said:

My son was given a very, very nice travel type water bottle. They refilled their beverages out of a very nice vat. So who knows what the cleaning procedures for those vats are or what the travel type water bottle that they get to keep was washed in or was it washed prior to being passed out?

Might never know if the procedure changed for cleaning procedures.

Interesting - by vat I assume you mean one of the big plastic water coolers that you see on golf courses, work sites, etc? Just like the one that was the culprit in my story?

A lot of people take the attitude that "It was only water, in a closed environment, so I don't have to worry about cleaning the container that well - it's not as if anyone put his mouth on it, or there was anything that could go bad in the liquid."

After the golf incident I became OCD about water coolers. The athletes would fill their individual water bottles, or a cup, from the larger container - just like on the golf course. ASAP after each event, I soaked it with a bleach solution, and then rewashed it with dish soap & water a couple of times to remove all traces of the bleach. Then I replaced the spigot at the end of the season. The first time I was in charge, I took the spigot off while cleaning in preparation for the race season, and there was definitely old mildew, etc in it! I went so far as to purchase a new container, and then instituted my cleaning procedure.

GrumpyFan

After the golf incident I became OCD about water coolers. The athletes would fill their individual water bottles, or a cup, from the larger container - just like on the golf course. ASAP after each event, I soaked it with a bleach solution, and then rewashed it with dish soap & water a couple of times to remove all traces of the bleach. Then I replaced the spigot at the end of the season. The first time I was in charge, I took the spigot off while cleaning in preparation for the race season, and there was definitely old mildew, etc in it! I went so far as to purchase a new container, and then instituted my cleaning procedure.

Reading this is making me paranoid about a similar container we have at home and use on occasion. I'm going to have to go home and give it a thorough cleaning!

You brought up some good points though about some of the potential trouble areas that could have caused this mystery illness. Hopefully the food inspectors were as diligent and able to identify and make corrections to prevent it from re-occurring.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Just because some people are claiming "something is going on in the Trek" doesn't mean that's true.

I see a lot of people are quick to blame Disney when it does not seem to me that there are many facts yet as to what is "going on in the Trek".

Well that's why the county hires actual 'experts' and THEY are the ones studying the issue - not some rumors on a website.

Your posts on this have been humorous. It wasn't saying 'everyone' got sick, so the fact a few didn't get sick really doesn't mean anything (nor does it ever in food born illnesses).

When many people get sick like this they try to find commonalities to find suspects.. and obviously the health department made this connection with those that were on the trek.

So there is likely a virus hiding out somewhere there that was going unaddressed or there are some behaviors or policies allowing it to popup.

jakeman

Only in rare instances does a germ get through your defense system. If you were an athlete, your body would be the best goalie in the history of soccer because of how few things get past its defensive skills.
That's is completely true, however, everyone's body is completely different in what it is susceptible to. We all have slightly different immune system, not necessarily better or worse than the next person, just different. With the risk of taking this conversation reducto ad absurdium, it's, at the extreme, why one person can smoke their whole live and never get cancer, but another person with the same amount of cigarette consumption can be dead at 20.

With that said, it's important to remember just because the commonality was link to the Wild Africa Trek was found, doesn't mean that Disney has done anything incorrectly. If sanitation procedures were 100% effective there would never be sepsis caused by hospital stays.

Viruses and bacteria aren't smart, but they evolve quickly and are persistent. Now that the root location has been found, hopefully Disney will address the issue quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom