Illness Linked to DAK's Wild Africa Trek

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisM

That's is completely true, however, everyone's body is completely different in what it is susceptible to. We all have slightly different immune system, not necessarily better or worse than the next person, just different. With the risk of taking this conversation reducto ad absurdium, it's, at the extreme, why one person can smoke their whole live and never get cancer, but another person with the same amount of cigarette consumption can be dead at 20.

This is absolutely true. In fact, folks with a certain blood type (AB, I believe), are far less susceptible to norovirus than those with the other blood types.

Gucci65

I'm think maybe it could be the water as well. My daughter and I did the Trek in early June. I remember the stainless steel water bottles they gave us and we filled them up with warm water (got ice cold water out by the crocs.) but then I remembered they have huge cans of bug spray - I was told the deer flies were really bad, so I put some on my legs. And then had nothing to wash my hands off with. I was careful not to put my hands on my face, so it got interesting when we sat down to eat our lunch with the wooden spoons provided LOL. Just makes you wonder if some people ate their smoked salmon with a side of pest repellent.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Interesting - by vat I assume you mean one of the big plastic water coolers that you see on golf courses, work sites, etc? Just like the one that was the culprit in my story?

A lot of people take the attitude that "It was only water, in a closed environment, so I don't have to worry about cleaning the container that well - it's not as if anyone put his mouth on it, or there was anything that could go bad in the liquid."

After the golf incident I became OCD about water coolers. The athletes would fill their individual water bottles, or a cup, from the larger container - just like on the golf course. ASAP after each event, I soaked it with a bleach solution, and then rewashed it with dish soap & water a couple of times to remove all traces of the bleach. Then I replaced the spigot at the end of the season. The first time I was in charge, I took the spigot off while cleaning in preparation for the race season, and there was definitely old mildew, etc in it! I went so far as to purchase a new container, and then instituted my cleaning procedure.

OK, found the ManChild again, he said similar theory to the water coolers for sports but fancy like for a wedding or a fancy buffet.

My DD is a lifeguard instructor at a large water park. Every night they dump the water out and wash the cooler jug out and let soapy water through the spout and rinse. By the photo's I saw of the food too it could have been anything really, thinking of the wrap, salads, fruits. It is possible that it wasn't the prep maybe just one single item in the food, remember last year the problem with the cantelope? Betting we will never really know.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Every person I know that has been on an "actual" trek in Africa, has been sick at some point during their travels. Could it be that Disney wants to make the Jungle Trek as authentic as the real thing? Theming at it's absolute best!

Seriously though....not fun to be sick on a trip. I feel for those of you that have come down with a "bug" on a Disney trip, or any vacation for that matter.

Eeyore55

I just read all these messages and just want to post a question~~I see all the Dates and every Blog or Article about this illness outbreak is after July 24, 2012. If there was a problem with a possible illness wouldn't you want to now BEFORE you go. This all started in early June and continued through July. The health dept interviewed 136 people, not counting visitors from far away and other countries (public record and a very interesting, if long, read) and they all had varying degrees of illness, from mild to severe. There are also people who did not go on the Trek who got sick. It very well came from the water (since it was apparently not food bourne) and sludge people were walking through. Did they touch their shoes or legs and then their faces??

My reason for this posting is that I have the answer as to why it was not released. I became ill at AK on June 27 (I was at DW from June 23-June 30) and picked up a bacteria there. I was ill the 28 and 29 and in my room in bed most of the time. We left on the morning of the 30th and by the time I got home (7 hours later) I was in shock and near death. I ended up in the Hospital in I.C.U. for 7 weeks and 15 surgeries. I had contracted Necrotizing Fasciitis through a blister in my foot from the nasty runoff at the Safari Ride. Disney called my husband July 24th while I was in the hospital and was told what had happened~~that is when the "illness" story came out. How do I know where it came from~this disease has a 72 hour incubation period and I had all the symptoms.

Hand sanitizers would not have helped me.

backinaction

I just read all these messages and just want to post a question~~I see all the Dates and every Blog or Article about this illness outbreak is after July 24, 2012. If there was a problem with a possible illness wouldn't you want to now BEFORE you go. This all started in early June and continued through July. The health dept interviewed 136 people, not counting visitors from far away and other countries (public record and a very interesting, if long, read) and they all had varying degrees of illness, from mild to severe. There are also people who did not go on the Trek who got sick. It very well came from the water (since it was apparently not food bourne) and sludge people were walking through. Did they touch their shoes or legs and then their faces??

My reason for this posting is that I have the answer as to why it was not released. I became ill at AK on June 27 (I was at DW from June 23-June 30) and picked up a bacteria there. I was ill the 28 and 29 and in my room in bed most of the time. We left on the morning of the 30th and by the time I got home (7 hours later) I was in shock and near death. I ended up in the Hospital in I.C.U. for 7 weeks and 15 surgeries. I had contracted Necrotizing Fasciitis through a blister in my foot from the nasty runoff at the Safari Ride. Disney called my husband July 24th while I was in the hospital and was told what had happened~~that is when the "illness" story came out. How do I know where it came from~this disease has a 72 hour incubation period and I had all the symptoms.

did you sue ?

flynnibus

Premium Member

I'm not sure what you are getting at. You think news of your infection triggered the inquiry? Or you think the news broke because of you?

I'm sorry about the infection you picked up.. but it doesn't really sound related to the digestive illnesses that everyone else encountered due to the food handling. You even said yourself (on the other forums you joined to post the story and never post again) that you got it walking through runoff.

When you walk through @#$% - it's gonna be dirty. Not Disney's fault there.. you're in a wild animal area.

Bolt

Steve - who is our resident attorney that handles suing Disney for our board members?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I'm not sure what you are getting at. You think news of your infection triggered the inquiry? Or you think the news broke because of you?

I'm sorry about the infection you picked up.. but it doesn't really sound related to the digestive illnesses that everyone else encountered due to the food handling. You even said yourself (on the other forums you joined to post the story and never post again) that you got it walking through runoff.

When you walk through @#$% - it's gonna be dirty. Not Disney's fault there.. you're in a wild animal area.

If the OP really did contract it there, is there really anything Disney could have done to prevent it? Preventing bacteria in food is one thing, but how do you prevent it in a natural environment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom