Iger Confirms Star Wars Domestic Parks Presence

Gomer

Groot was created in the 50s. Most of the other characters in the film are from the 70s, if I'm not mistaken.
But GotG in its current form and lineup was a property created in the 90's, correct? I'm honestly not all that familiar with it. I was always loyal to the X-men lines of comics and didn't really stray outside of it too much.

Matt_Black

But GotG in its current form and lineup was a property created in the 90's, correct? I'm honestly not all that familiar with it. I was always loyal to the X-men lines of comics and didn't really stray outside of it too much.

If I'm not mistaken, the current line-up was made within the past ten years. The characters, though, were all existing characters. I believe Cosmo (who's not in the film, fingers crossed for the sequel) is the only original one of the bunch. The only character from the 90s is Jack Flagg (also not in the movie, and unlikely to show up).

Mike S

If I'm not mistaken, the current line-up was made within the past ten years. The characters, though, were all existing characters. I believe Cosmo (who's not in the film, fingers crossed for the sequel) is the only original one of the bunch. The only character from the 90s is Jack Flagg (also not in the movie, and unlikely to show up).
Cosmo is in the after credits scene.

Cesar R M

Groot was created in the 50s. Most of the other characters in the film are from the 70s, if I'm not mistaken.
the film version characters were separate.
Star Lord had its very quirky (kirk like) comic series... and most of them were created in the 70's and 80's.. but the real original "Guardians of the Galaxy" (including Yondu, Charlie..etc..) were from the 80's if I remember correctly. Also labelled as "the tomorrow's avengers" or "future avengers")

Current incarnation Started during the "Annihilation Saga" of the marvel universe. (still missing Mantis, Bug, Jack Flag, Adam Warlock,Quasar,Moondragon, Phyla Vell and sometimes Nova (Prime) and Major Victory)

*edit*
Wiki mentions 1969 as the starting point of the Guardians of the Galaxy first iteration.

PhotoDave219

Yep, let's lobby for a Walter Cronkite attraction.

It seems like you are missing my point. Yes, I know you all love Star Wars - I get it. But that was then - this is now. Kids don't fawn over Princess Leia because she looks like their grandmother. Also movie theaters are pretty empty compared to the past, and most kids have their nose buried in a phone. Network television is dying and what they say in the evening news matters to very few.

Times change, tastes change, and we don't live in the past.

You just killed your point. We love Walter Cronkite.

Launchpad McQuack

I've used this argument in support of Avatar/Pandora before, and I will use it for Star Wars now...

You don't have to love a franchise/movie to love an attraction. A great attraction is a great attraction. Think of all the WDW visitors who have never seen (and many never even heard of) Song of the South, yet they LOVE Splash Mountain. My brother has never seen/read anything Harry Potter, but was blown away by the stuff at Universal. My wife has never seen Star Wars (and, unfortunately, has no desire to), but she really likes Star Tours.

I say bring on a whole Star Wars section (as well as Indiana Jones expansion). Even if the movies' popularity fades, if the attractions are good, people will enjoy them.

That being said, the Star Wars popularity is still extremely high.

bhg469

I've used this argument in support of Avatar/Pandora before, and I will use it for Star Wars now...

You don't have to love a franchise/movie to love an attraction. A great attraction is a great attraction. Think of all the WDW visitors who have never seen (and many never even heard of) Song of the South, yet they LOVE Splash Mountain. My brother has never seen/read anything Harry Potter, but was blown away by the stuff at Universal. My wife has never seen Star Wars (and, unfortunately, has no desire to), but she really likes Star Tours.

I say bring on a whole Star Wars section (as well as Indiana Jones expansion). Even if the movies' popularity fades, if the attractions are good, people will enjoy them.

That being said, the Star Wars popularity is still extremely high.

Felt the same about Hogsmeade. I had no knowledge of potter other than the few movies I saw. Hogsmeade was the best expansion in orlando in a long time. Diagon is supposedly even better so again they are moving the bar. It's Disney's move, and they have every opportunity to do it the right way. I would Looooooooove for them to so something in each park and pull a universal and make me want a park hopper.

Beiste1

Omnimovers are like vanilla ice cream. People complain about how bland they are but ignore what can be done with them. The ride mechanics are a base layer for a far more interesting experience. Just like a banana split, hot fudge sundae, or vanilla milkshake, if you put in the effort on the rest it can still be a unique and interesting experience. But if you cheap out and only throw on some sprinkles every time, you might get sick of it quickly.

If Disney creates compelling and unique rides based on omnimover attractions, then there is no reason to concern yourself with what kind of vehicle you are on. For the most part, Disney's boat rides are still some of their best so people don't complain with those. But rides like Nemo and LM have exposed the omnimover to some criticism as people unfairly blame the omnimover, not what was done around it.

That was the point I was trying to make. Omnimovers are fine, if they do something interesting with them. Too much of anything is boring.... yes, maybe there are only 5 Omnimovers, but they are too similar.

Gomer

That was the point I was trying to make. Omnimovers are fine, if they do something interesting with them. Too much of anything is boring.... yes, maybe there are only 5 Omnimovers, but they are too similar.
In that case, i wouldn't come down on the Omnimovers themselves then. I would never even think of Haunted Mansion and Spaceship earth as too similar. Those are two very unique and distinctive rides. You could make just as strong an argument that there are too many rides with animatronics, or too many rides with video screens (oops probably shouldn't go there).

The omnimover is uniquely tailored to the story structure of a theme park ride in a way that I think exceeds the capabilities of a boat, flume, or coaster (or robotic arm, simulator, or whatever the next big thing is). I'd sign up now for a Disney World with only Omnimovers if they were all the quality of HM or SSE. But as with any of the ride mechanics, its what they do with it that is most important.

I get what you are saying, but I think the omnimover is just the language by which Disney is telling us boring stories. I don't blame the English language for a bad book, I blame the writer and the story.

twebber55

Felt the same about Hogsmeade. I had no knowledge of potter other than the few movies I saw. Hogsmeade was the best expansion in orlando in a long time. Diagon is supposedly even better so again they are moving the bar. It's Disney's move, and they have every opportunity to do it the right way. I would Looooooooove for them to so something in each park and pull a universal and make me want a park hopper.
I never saw a Potter movie either before visiting WWOHP went straight home and watched all of them in a matter of a week.....
im not a huge iP guy im a huge do it right guy

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Filmmakers today try to create formulaic tentpoles. GOTG was simply a 'Fun Summer Movie' and people responded to that as people go to movies to be ENTERTAINED TMNT is in the same vein and people went to see that. I really don't know why moviemakers try to make political statements and/or the next 'Heavens Gate or Xanadu'...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom