If you lived near DisneyWorld....

bigfatdonna

I have lived in a small town between Tampa and Orlando all of my life (33 yrs). It takes me about 45 minutes to get to Disney. I honestly believe if I could afford it (and they would allow it!) I would build a house on that little island in the 7 Seas Lagoon. I have always joked that if they would just give me one tiny room at the top of the castle that I would be the happiest person alive! We do visit monthly and I NEVER tire of it. If it weren't for my husband I would visit much more often. I have always dreamed of working there, but the flexible hours required (I have a 5 year old and my first priority is being available for him) and distance to drive (factoring in the huge pay cut I would take) would not work out for my family. My plan, however, is after my son is older, I will take on a job as a cast member. I'm a make-up artist by trade but would be willing to switch careers to scrubbing up bird pooey in the parks while on all fours, wearing an extra furry character costume in 100 degree weather ("Oh, did I mention Mister/Madame Disney Recruiter that I would be willing, no HONORED, to use my own personal toothbrush?!") just to be in my beloved Disney on a daily basis.

You mentioned that the pay is less in Florida but you must take into consideration that the cost-of-living corresponds with that quite nicely! But, whatever you do, DO NOT drive through Celebration (Disney owned community) while house-hunting unless you can afford it. My husband had to pull over twice while driving through to aid me in regaining consiousness. It's as if you've stepped into a storybook and you really do expect to see Belle singing and twirling by the fountain in town square. I once met a cast member working at "One Man's Dream" (my favorite attraction) that lived in Celebration. It took all my strength not to wrestle her to the ground and pluck her nose hairs out one by one. OOOooh, bitterness can get ugly!

cloudboy

What do they have for jobs in Central Florida - is there anything besides hospitality or retail (anotherwords omething that DOESN'T involve heavy customer contact)? What is the economy like down there?

And what is there to do besides Disney and theme parks?

Kwit35

Not crazy at all!

Orlando is a great place to live. So much to do and so many opportunities, career wise. It just keeps growing. We are going to move back down, when we retire. Of course that is many years down the road. I plan on spending my retirement working at Disney.
Go for it.

Chape19714

I was born in Daytona Beach and have lived here my entire life. It is fun expecially because it is close to WDW. I hate the Beach, so i have an AP to WDW. I probally go 1-2 times a month and i never get tired of it. I could live in the parks and probally never get tired of it. Before i got the AP i went about 1 time a year. it is nice to live so close, but silly as it sounds, i want to live closer!!

luvJC4saken

To be honest, I don't think I'd go to WDW as often as I do if I lived in Orlando. I'd be sucked into the philosophy of, "Hey, it's just down the street... I'll go next weekend... or next weekend... etc."

Plus, I need an excuse to stay in the resorts. I think that's one of the best parts of WDW. The attention to detail at the resorts is incredible.

Then again, Disney's a lot cheaper when you don't have to travel as far or stay in a hotel.

Glasgow

I think I'd be too worried that I'd get tired of going to Disney - as it is, going every 1 1/2 to 2 years makes it very exciting each time, and as someone mentioned you get to see something new on each visit.

However, growing up in the Tampa bay area I know what's it's like to be closer to WDW. The heat is so intense though - you'd better be sure you like the sun before going there!

DivineMadness7

Originally posted by Bill
You ARE crazy. UoF is just too far from WDW. If you plan on going to WDW on weekends, you shouldn't live more then one hour away. Two hours for a monthly (if even that) visit. Trust me, the driving is insane. Plus I-4 is all torn up now. Of course, I'm not sure on the status of the turnpike. But even if it was in good condition, UoF is too far for weekend visits. Go to UCF or USF. I'm sure most people here will agree with me. However, with all this said...

You might want to forget about Disney... it shouldn't be your main choice for college. You'll have plenty of time for Disney after college. :)

Well, I WAS joking after all...
It's on my list because the fact that they have a great program for what I want to do.

I realize it's not very close, but when you consider a drive from PA to Florida and a drive from Gainesville to Orlando...there's quite a difference!

Lee

Adventurer
I will be a resident of the Miami area as of this August, and I can honestly tell you that I will make at least 2-3 trips a month.
I manage 4-5 a year living in Tennessee, so the drive from Miami doesn't phase me one bit.

kbmb

Originally posted by cloudboy
What do they have for jobs in Central Florida - is there anything besides hospitality or retail (anotherwords omething that DOESN'T involve heavy customer contact)? What is the economy like down there?

And what is there to do besides Disney and theme parks?

That's what I am looking into right now. I'm in the IT industry (web development to be specific) and we are looking on moving to Orlando. So far it's not looking too good. But I've just started, so who knows.

The more I read, the more I'm finding that Florida is a good place for businesses to move to. So I'm hoping this will bring good jobs to the area.

-k

Pippa

If I lived right near WDW I would also be an annual passholder and be at the Adventurers Club on every possible night. One day I'd love to have a villa so all my friends could have a free holiday and I could spend 6 months of the year in the UK and 6 at WDW!

One day...........

NemoRocks78

Seized
Originally posted by DivineMadness7
Well, I WAS joking after all...
It's on my list because the fact that they have a great program for what I want to do.

I realize it's not very close, but when you consider a drive from PA to Florida and a drive from Gainesville to Orlando...there's quite a difference!

Actually, WDW is only less than two hours away from Gainesville. I don't know why Bill thought it would be too long of a drive though. I'd definitely consider the University of Florida. :)

Brooke

I live about 20 minutes away from Disney World and I go all the time. Especially when it's not busy, then I go more often.

Foolish Mortal

Without a doubt. If I lived in Orlando, i'd be at one of the parks every free second I had. I could never get tired of it. Every time I go I get closer to transferring down since my company has locations in and around Orlando. Even as much as I hate opressive heat, I think i'd learn to deal with it. H*ll, working outside in the Philly area during summer is'nt exactly a picnic either.

Like others, I'd live in the MK if I could. But i'd live above the ice cream shop facing the castle. What a way to start and end the day.....looking at the castle.

ltbeach

I have been planning to move to orlando for a few years now, however it may be 2 years 8 months from now. Since i am military, i have to wait until i retire from the military to get there since there aren't any air force bases there.

So far everyone in this thread have given positive feedback about living in orlando. However, i want to retire from the military and then work at WDW. is there anyone here that has moved to orlando just to work at WDW and how did that change how often they visited leasurely as opposed to being there for work? is the magic ruined once you work there?

i am not concerned with the pay, since it will just be myself and my wife and i will have my retirement pay to boost my income.

all input is welcome
thanks in advance
Larry

DDuckFan130

Originally posted by Lee
I will be a resident of the Miami area as of this August, and I can honestly tell you that I will make at least 2-3 trips a month.
I manage 4-5 a year living in Tennessee, so the drive from Miami doesn't phase me one bit.

Hey just wanted to say that I hope you enjoy living down here. Wow I wish we could drive up there twice a month or something. If we could, we would, but we can't :lol: Definitely not a long trip it's like 3.5 hours around there without rest stops and sometimes with rest stops. It's about the same distance as from here to Key West and believe me, WDW is a better place to go than Key West :D

BeachClub

If we lived in Orlando..I would have to say that I would think that I have died and gone to heaven. As this has been our long time wish for many long years.

One day, one day...we will be there.:wave: Until then, we have our well planned and much anticipated vacations.

KaliSplash

As much as I love it. And I do love it. I think it's better to be a few hours away. I do like the anticipation and the planning,etc.

I'm afraid if I was too close I wouldn't go as often. I once had a sister-in-law who lived in the Maryland side of Washington suburbs and we took her to the Smithsonian. She'd never been.

I'm sure I wouldn't be that bad, but you do tend to take the things you are used to for granted. I get excited visiting my in-laws in Cocoa and getting really fresh oranges and orange juice. They get excited visiting us in South Carolina and getting fresh peaches, something I've always taken for granted since there was a peach orchard less than 100 yards from my back door.

Having said all that, we are doing the annual pass every other year thing, which gives us an excuse to drop by for a day or two at Christmas, to see the wonderful decorations and not feel like we have to try to ride everything in the park as we do in our annual summer visits.

And I could see retiring in the area someday.

Pixmel

Originally posted by ltbeach
is there anyone here that has moved to orlando just to work at WDW and how did that change how often they visited leasurely as opposed to being there for work? is the magic ruined once you work there?

We basically moved to Orlando so I could work for WDW. Granted, my folks live here, so there was a nice cushion to start over. We had to move out of our hometown area, but we could have moved to Chicago for my husband to get a computer/network job. However, he was really understanding and willing to make the move knowing how much I had dreamed of working for Disney most of my life.

I still go to the parks whenever I can. Yes, I don't go all the time as I have to work around my work schedule, availability of all 3 of us having the time off together (not as much fun without the family), etc. But, I still go alot and still love it as much as I ever did.

I would also have to say even though "having the inside track" does make a difference, it really doesn't change it that much. When I work, I'm a cast member. When I go to the parks, I'm a guest.....and have the perks of being friends with some of those who are working there.

I guess, for me, it puts a whole new perspective on it. It's an added bonus for me. I'm no longer visiting, I'm coming home. It's a thrill for me to know that I'm now a part of it all......like living a double life........one who can enjoy experiencing the magic while knowing that I can also create a little of it myself.

There is never a single time that I drive onto WDW property that I am not thrilled to be a part of it. I see the Main Gate or a monorail goes by and my heart still skips a beat and wants to burst. :sohappy:

Bill

Account Suspended
Originally posted by NemoRocks78
Actually, WDW is only less than two hours away from Gainesville. I don't know why Bill thought it would be too long of a drive though. I'd definitely consider the University of Florida. :)
2 hours too long. lol

Gotta be less then an hour. Well, for me anyway.

Plus, gas is EXPENSIVE!!!!

njchris65

Originally posted by KaliSplash
I'm afraid if I was too close I wouldn't go as often. I once had a sister-in-law who lived in the Maryland side of Washington suburbs and we took her to the Smithsonian. She'd never been.

Hehe.. I just thought this was funny.... comparing visiting the Smithsonian to visiting WDW? Heheh

Next time I walk into the Smithsonian, I'm going to ask where the Transit Authority is..... :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom