If you hate all that is Disney?

brb1006

Just because someone is critical of TDO, it doesn't mean they are trolls. I think some people who have seen the changes over the years are frustrated and would like someone to hold Disney accountable for their actions.

Some of it is rose colored glasses, but even if you look at the past 5-10 years, the negative changes outweigh the positive. Look at the amount of closures, empty spaces, and privatization of formerly public spaces. There also seems to be laziness that was not present in the first 2 decades of WDW. Seems to be- I barely remember the 80s!

I don't mind @ford91exploder - I don't agree with some of what he says or his method, but at least he doesn't outrightly attack others on this forum. I like this forum because there isn't a cabal of popular posters who abuse those who disagreed with them. This is a pretty well-mannered place, for the interwebs.
The only type of members that appear to hate Disney despite joining the forums is @Madame Medusa who was very active this summer especially during this year's D23 and suddenly disappeared sometime in September.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
No matter how much they dislike Disney changes, or people running Disney, no matter how much they long for the past, theres some small part of Disney they can still find to like. I dont think these negative posts show complete, utter hatred for Disney. They can still see a glimmer of hope that Disney will recover to what they want. When they post negativity they get more attention and responses. Post a negative comment and then sit back and watch more firestorms flare up than if you only post positives. The more negativity they can get the more notice Disney will take note.

There is a difference between hating Disney and hating the way WDW is run, I fall solidly into the latter category, WDW is used as an ATM to prop up the rest of the company and we receive a constantly declining product at a constantly increasing price point.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Just because someone is critical of TDO, it doesn't mean they are trolls. I think some people who have seen the changes over the years are frustrated and would like someone to hold Disney accountable for their actions.

Some of it is rose colored glasses, but even if you look at the past 5-10 years, the negative changes outweigh the positive. Look at the amount of closures, empty spaces, and privatization of formerly public spaces. There also seems to be laziness that was not present in the first 2 decades of WDW. Seems to be- I barely remember the 80s!

I don't mind @ford91exploder - I don't agree with some of what he says or his method, but at least he doesn't outrightly attack others on this forum. I like this forum because there isn't a cabal of popular posters who abuse those who disagreed with them. This is a pretty well-mannered place, for the interwebs.

Precisely - I've been DVC since the time park admission was included when you stayed on points, It's gotten to the point where it's time to sell because of the constant cutbacks in the resort experience and the maintenance problems which until 2013 were non existent yet are now constant. But the MF's go up and up and the experience degrades and I don't see an end to it.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Original Poster
I think the question he is asking is not if you're a fan or not, why do you still stay in the middle of it. For many that do spend hard earned money to go and still enjoy at least 90% of it, it's easy to understand why they might vent about the things that they don't like and otherwise were better or remember when it was. But, if they no longer go there, they don't have a horse in the race, why place a bet on it.

I think the ones he is asking is those that never have anything good to say, appear to hate the entire of concept, management or even change, which is strange since they don't like what is there. Why sit here and constantly respond with some boilerplate, non-verifiable hate massages about this place. That isn't love unless you consider loving to constantly put something down that they don't even utilize any longer. Why? Indeed. If there is something I don't like or it upsets me to the point of constantly spewing hate, then it is a very strange obsession. Unfortunately, the message is that the rest of us are fools for still enjoying it so in reality they are putting us down, not Disney.

Myself, have been accused on occasion of being toxic and negative. I'll tell you that I react to immaturity because in spite of Disney being a place where a lot of use find a moment of youth, I lose my cherub like demeanor when the topics are picky and just a waste of cyber space. That I react to! I will have a calm and, at least, attempted back and forth on specifics, but, when I read someone condescending, erroneous attempts to make us believe that they are capable of running a multi-billion dollar company it just gets the hair on my head bristle and I feel forced to comment before someone starts to believe the garbage and it doesn't matter whether it is some, allegedly, in the know poster or someone just wanting their 15 minutes of fame. The expectation of perfection in a man-made environment also boggles my mind.

It does get tiring to have to decide what is fact and what is opinion. Hell, we might be talking with Iger himself for all I know (I doubt it though), but, when something seems trite or loaded with bull, I react.

This is exactly what I meant. I love Disney as a whole, but I too am critical about parts of the whole. The post was aimed at people who have not had a single good thing to say in the last 5 years, yet they continue to post negative thoughts daily. Hence my reference to being a troll. Discussion and constructive criticism is great and I feel that what this forum is for.

winstongator

If you’re madly into sports would you still support your favourite sports team if they started to loose more games than they won?
Absolutely yes. Always support. I'm not going back to college, so my college team will remain so forever. In all kinds of weather, we all stick together.

Now, suggesting a coach be fired for performance and 'more than wins and losses' reasons, of course that's always going to be there. Wanting them fired for not being perfect? That hurts the team.

winstongator

I am not sure if this is the correct place to post, but it seemed to be appropriate. I have stalked the forum for 10 plus years, but I have just recently become active in posts. There seems to be a common thread that links us all together. We all love Disney. Hence the confusion. I regularly see the same tired posts from the same people that hate what Disney is now. Disney has changed over the years and will continue to do so. My question is this: If you hate what Disney has become why are you still making posts? If you hate everything why re-live it over and over. Live your Non Disney life and stop posting here. I would exclude people like @DisneyJoe who don't visit but are a great help to others. If all you want to do is make troll posts, then go find a political forum. You can stay busy there. If your entire life revolves around making negative posts in Disney forums then maybe you need to rethink your reasons to be here.
I think I am one of the few people that enjoy Disney more than I did as a kid 30+ years ago. I've come to grips with some of the biggest negatives: crowds & cost, and I enjoy it for what it is.

jloucks

They still like Disney, just not today's Disney.

Maybe it is venting, comradery, or just simple (and often hilarious) trolling.

That and people have been trained, and continue to be trained, to complain in order to get what they want. It is to the point that complaining can be done without even the complainer knowing what they are trying to accomplish.

TwilightZone

I just dislike complaining if the attraction/land has very little information or hasn't opened yet. If you don't know that much about it and haven't experienced it via in person or youtube then why complain? there are certain situations where it is understandable, like the lack of new dark rides in pixar pier, something you will find me angry about forever until they open one, but besides those understandable instances, is it really worth it?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Same for us for our 15th. :(

It's a nice experience but not 15K nice, 15K buys a LOT more on Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket and neither of those places are cheap. It just seems that Disney has lost all sense of reality with pricing, We did see a 100K wedding in progress there the bride had the crystal coach etc quite nice but I can think of a lot better uses of 100K.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
They still like Disney, just not today's Disney.

Maybe it is venting, comradery, or just simple (and often hilarious) trolling.

That and people have been trained, and continue to be trained, to complain in order to get what they want. It is to the point that complaining can be done without even the complainer knowing what they are trying to accomplish.

When every fan knows that DEMAND will far outstrip CAPACITY in the so called 'land' yes it's fair to criticize, The last SWW had traffic backups for miles and the park hit phase close multiple times, And that was just for SWW there was no notice that that was the LAST SWW,

When SWL opens in DL it's gonna be a replay of DL's opening day Anaheim is going to be in gridlock for weeks, Orlando's SWL when it's FULLY OPEN - not just the shops/restaurants (probably 2021) the chaos will be unimaginable.

What SHOULD have been done is a fully realized SW Gate in Orlando instead of two half baked lands without the capacity to satisfy demand.

Note I'm NOT a SW fan, But I DO understand it's cross generational popularity unlike Disney who appears not to.

Pixieish

It's a nice experience but not 15K nice, 15K buys a LOT more on Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket and neither of those places are cheap. It just seems that Disney has lost all sense of reality with pricing, We did see a 100K wedding in progress there the bride had the crystal coach etc quite nice but I can think of a lot better uses of 100K.
They really have! I just commented to hubby during the special that aired earlier that they're out of their ever-loving minds plugging giving someone a complete vacation as a Christmas present.

In 2000, we spent $5500 (including flights from MA) on our honeymoon trip - 11 days/10 nights at Dixie Landings, with the very topmost dining plan (it not only included gratuity, but also our pics on the stones in front of Epcot and limited edition pins), 10-day tickets with park-hoppers and water-parks, and tickets to MNSSHP. Today, that same exact trip would cost around $8000 MINUS the gratuity and extra stuff. We love doing table-service meals - nothing fancy, mostly buffets, but those tips add up quick! And the experience just isn't as good with the parks as crowded as they are.

EDIT: $15,000 is about what we spent on our wedding and honeymoon COMBINED...and it was beautiful...not some cheesy thing.

Last edited:

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
When every fan knows that DEMAND will far outstrip CAPACITY in the so called 'land' yes it's fair to criticize, The last SWW had traffic backups for miles and the park hit phase close multiple times, And that was just for SWW there was no notice that that was the LAST SWW,

When SWL opens in DL it's gonna be a replay of DL's opening day Anaheim is going to be in gridlock for weeks, Orlando's SWL when it's FULLY OPEN - not just the shops/restaurants (probably 2021) the chaos will be unimaginable.

What SHOULD have been done is a fully realized SW Gate in Orlando instead of two half baked lands without the capacity to satisfy demand.

Note I'm NOT a SW fan, But I DO understand it's cross generational popularity unlike Disney who appears not to.
Will remind you of this when SW:GE opens fully in 2019 .

Rumrunner

I am not sure if this is the correct place to post, but it seemed to be appropriate. I have stalked the forum for 10 plus years, but I have just recently become active in posts. There seems to be a common thread that links us all together. We all love Disney. Hence the confusion. I regularly see the same tired posts from the same people that hate what Disney is now. Disney has changed over the years and will continue to do so. My question is this: If you hate what Disney has become why are you still making posts? If you hate everything why re-live it over and over. Live your Non Disney life and stop posting here. I would exclude people like @DisneyJoe who don't visit but are a great help to others. If all you want to do is make troll posts, then go find a political forum. You can stay busy there. If your entire life revolves around making negative posts in Disney forums then maybe you need to rethink your reasons to be here.
You seem to be irritated about people that complain about Disney and I understand that but I am sometimes irritated by the few that are apologists for every thing Disney does. Many of the decisions the last few years have not been customer friendly or considerate of the patrons.

GeneralZod

Most of the negativity on this site is really driven by the vocal minority who compare everything to their nostalgia-coated memories. The best analogy I can think of is music. Everyone believes the music they listened to during their formative years will forever be the pinnacle; I'm guilty of this myself. In my opinion, 80% of the music post-90's is garbage, with few exceptions. Now add on top of that the need for many people to feel accepted by the site celebrities and it can just become toxic. I will say that helps tremendously if you ignore people like @ford91exploder who have some weird desire to be the wdw curmudgeon .

I've tried to go back and watch some of the earlier attractions that are set on a pedestal around here and they are so cringe-worthy I cannot even finish them. It would be terrible unfortunate for them to dwell in the past as many do here. Disney has made some poor decisions over the past few years, but they have also made some great ones...that just doesn't fit the narrative of the aforementioned minority.

Chef Mickey

Disney is still winning and doing an overall great job, despite what you read on these boards.

I have been extremely critical of their lack of expansion. It's been substandard, no other way to say it.

However, they do such a phenomenal job executing what they do have that these warts have been and are covered for a long period of time. The new offerings recently announced and under construction will help, but they need more.

pax_65

Speaking for myself, it is my passion for Disney that fuels my current negativity. The whole vision that Walt had, that there should be a place where kids and parents can have fun together, has had such a tremendous impact on my children. No matter how crazy our lives got, we would take breaks and go to Disney. We would have fun together, and Disney would make us feel so special every single trip. It truly was magical, and I am sincerely grateful that we had the ability and opportunity to give our kids these wonderful experiences and keep our family really close in the process.We loved Disney, we believed in Disney and we bought in fully - Disney Vacation Club Members, Disney Annual Passholders every year, Disney stockholders. We took 2-3 trips per year. We recommended WDW trips to our friends and coached them to have amazing trips like we had.

My kids are growing up and in a few years we'll likely be thinking about taking grandchildren to WDW. I'm sad because the Disney World that my kids enjoyed so much is unlikely to exist (in so many ways, which I have droned on endlessly about in other posts but will spare you the repeat here). Will we still go? Probably, but not nearly as often. For our grandkids, I fear Disney will just be a place they went on vacation a couple of times... not nearly the magical place our children knew and loved. :(

jimbojones

Speaking for myself, it is my passion for Disney that fuels my current negativity. The whole vision that Walt had, that there should be a place where kids and parents can have fun together, has had such a tremendous impact on my children. No matter how crazy our lives got, we would take breaks and go to Disney. We would have fun together, and Disney would make us feel so special every single trip. It truly was magical, and I am sincerely grateful that we had the ability and opportunity to give our kids these wonderful experiences and keep our family really close in the process.We loved Disney, we believed in Disney and we bought in fully - Disney Vacation Club Members, Disney Annual Passholders every year, Disney stockholders. We took 2-3 trips per year. We recommended WDW trips to our friends and coached them to have amazing trips like we had.

My kids are growing up and in a few years we'll likely be thinking about taking grandchildren to WDW. I'm sad because the Disney World that my kids enjoyed so much is unlikely to exist (in so many ways, which I have droned on endlessly about in other posts but will spare you the repeat here). Will we still go? Probably, but not nearly as often. For our grandkids, I fear Disney will just be a place they went on vacation a couple of times... not nearly the magical place our children knew and loved. :(
It occurred to me that perhaps your declining interest ( and mine) is also a result of just getting a little tired of Disney after going so much? I find that as I get older everything seems to lose its shine a bit and I need to keep looking for new activities, destinations and stimulation. I have also grown to appreciate all the amazing things in the real world that there are to see and experience much more than I did as a kid and I find myself much more interested in being in nature than in being in places like theme parks and cities as I get older. But I find friends that are making their first visit are just as wowed as I was as a kid in the 80s.

I have already said something similar on another post but I'm gonna say it again. Like the OP I watched these threads for awhile (only about 8 months though) prior to my vacation. I had only been to WDW twice before and the last time was in 2010 so I wanted lots of advice. I did find lots that I'm grateful for, but I also got to a point reading these forums where I was honestly worried about sinking so much money into a vacation that so many people seemed to hate. I've read all the comments and I understand that you all love what Disney used to be and it upsets you but I just wanted you to know what's like for a newbie like me. I really started to become terrified it was going to be awful. Thank god I told myself to ignore those thoughts. We had a WONDERFUL time in October. I found the crowds totally manageable and the lines not very painful. I enjoyed the food and aside from a couple of Meh customer service people, found everyone nice and helpful. My family loved taking the busses. Not everything was perfect but it never will be, but I had a fabulous time and now I can't wait to go back. I felt like a little kid lost in the world of Disney. I enjoyed it more than my kids. I'm glad these forums exist and luckily so far no one has been rude to me even when I disagree, but I thought I would just give the opinion of this newbie.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom