If you could choose? Live by WDW or travel to it?

justducky78

Good topic! My husband and I have talked about this before. If both of our families weren't all living up here in Chicago, we would choose to live somewhere warmer, but probably not FL for the very reason that we really enjoy planning the trip, getting off the plane, feeling the anticipation of driving up to the resort and knowing we're on vacation at WDW. But two hours by plane is plenty - no more than that!

We both agreed it just wouldn't be the same if we lived close by...I think, for us, it would just lose some of it's magic. I don't know if I could get off work and head over to Disney for dinner or on a Saturday only -- I don't want to even associate Disney and 'real life!' For that matter, I don't think I could work there either...I like being a guest.

Dragonrider1227

Being all the way in Rhode Island, getting to WDW is more of a trip, thus making it much more special once we get to it. But i'd still love to live closer to it.

RickEff

I think my ultimate plan (in retirement in another, oh...20 years or so) will be to have a place to go in the Winter somewhere in Florida.

I can't STAND the heat there in the summertime.

20 years is a long time though. If my lottery-win retirement plan happens though, it'll be earlier!

Sparkle81

I've often wondered whether living near to Disney would take away some of the magic, but my gut feeling is that I'd get over it :D

Ringo8n24

Having been laid off from my job due to Hurricane Katrina, my husband and I have been discussing moving to Orlando lots lately since this presents the perfect opportunity in timing. However, I am in the group saying I would miss the anticipation of the trip planning, hotel check in, etc. for WDW. But...If I could actually work at WDW if I lived in Orlando, I would do it, though.:D I would have to still do "vacations" on property every now and then staying in their hotels as if we still lived away from the magic.

tracyandalex

well, we live 4 hours away and that is perfect for us. it's close enough to take a long weekend trip, but far enought that it is still a trip. we still stay in a disney hotel and plan all the meals, it just means that we don't have to pay for air fare so we can go more often :p

tracy & alex

PatsRule

For us, the anticipation of getting away from the New England weather is as much a part of the fun as Disney itself. When we go down we leave the stresses of work and everyday life behind. If we lived close or worked there the stresses of the job and normal things in life would still be close by. For us, the escape from adulthood is the best part of all.

ryguy

I agree this a great thread. I grew up in New York going to WDW everyear, than I went to college at Stetson in Florida. I worked as a vacation planner for a year, and than moved to Michigan. SO I have done both and for me I like living far away. I love the hotels. For me this is the main reason for me to go Disney. The food is great as well. Sometimes on my trip I don't even go in the park. There is nothing like freezing your butt off in the middle of winter and planning a trip to WDW. I love the anticipation for several months of planning out my trip. When I was living and working for Disney it was great but just not the same, in the end it was still a job. Maybe if I grew up in Orlando I would feel differently. The problem for me is when I travel to other places I am always disappointed because it never compares to WDW. I am always thinking I wish we were at Disney instead of this boring beach!! Everybody's different so I can see where some people would love to live close to the magic. But for me at this stage of my life, I like being farther away.

captcanada

I can say, with all honesty....
I would move near WDW without a second though, if I could.
If I were an American....I'd live there now :)

Mmmmmm, American citizenship, Mmmmmm.

WDWPrnces02

Well I guess id owe it all to my Uncle, (ex Auntie and cousin) who took my mother and i to WDW when I was ..i think 10years old...(25 in december)(wow almost 20 or so years)...Loved it ever since......Something about the warm weather (yes occsional thunderstorms too).....helps me emothionally......Nothing can beat a great vaca to the mouse.......

Hopefully it will turn to a reality next year......(ill have my car payed off by next summer).........

Living here in michigan stinks...theirs nothing to do but go to work, hibernate durring the winter under thousands of blankets, and drive more than 20 miles just to get drunk.......Im tired of it.....and im bored too.....

PigletIsMyCat

Well, Mr. PigletIsMyCat and I will be living within commuting distance of Disneyworld as of July 1st. Friends of ours moved down there from Long Island to get jobs at WDW. While one of them is not entirely happy in the job with Disney, they love being able to go to the parks once or twice a month, if not more. DH and I are going to WDW for the third time since September this May (and to look at some apartments) and would absolutely love to be able to just hop over to Le Cellier for dinner, or have the opportunity to go to MK during Christmastime to see the decorations. We absolutely cannot wait.

bhg469

My girlfriend is finishing up her special education degree which when she is done we will hopefully be moving down within the next 2 years. Now i am a little nervous......ok alot nervous about fiding myself a job down there, but if i have to sell my car i guess i will be able to do it at that point. Another reason i would love to go down there is that i enjoy auto crossing and taking my car to the track. Being in buffalo the auto-x season is only from april till september. In florida its 365 days a year and no snow tires!!!! but thats also sad because snow drifting is so much fun...

I probably have to deal with alot of nascar fans down there though....

DMage

bhg469 said:
Being in buffalo the auto-x season is only from april till september. In florida its 365 days a year and no snow tires!!!! but thats also sad because snow drifting is so much fun...

I probably have to deal with alot of nascar fans down there though....

Hey BHG469, I am right by you in Niagara. Will be moving down to Orlando in mid April. Definitely looking forward to being able to keep my car on the road 365 days a year!

http://www.deloreanreborn.com
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2238202

tick said:
Travel to it coz i'm contented of where i am right now...i just love to visit and enjoy it...:D

I agree. I'd like to visit WDW more often and that will happen in the future, but I couldn't say good-bye to New York.

Nemo14

My DH and I have had this discussion often, but I seriously don't think I could ever get tired of Disney. Just the thought of going out to dinner at Epcot, or dashing in for a quick turkey leg, or (my new favorite) a cream-cheese stuffed pretzel in Tomorrowland, would be just amazing. Hopefully we'll be making thje move in about 5 years when he retires! :sohappy:

rainfully

I've done both.

I got sick of getting depressed when I got home from Orlando, so I decided to make Orlando my home.

And now I live 5 minutes away from WDW. And I go all the frickin' time. And you know what? It's sooooooo much more enjoyable for me. I can really really enjoy it. The little things. I can just pop in for an hour or two and just sit on a bench and enjoy people watching. Or browsing in the Emporium. Or getting a craving for a Dole Whip and just getting up and getting one. Or being able to hear that one of my favorite rides is going down for rehab and being able to go and ride it one last time.

Yeah.. I'm much happier now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom