If you could choose? Live by WDW or travel to it?

kodiak5bears

After last years trip, my 6 year old says when he grows up he is going to live in WDW.

I think I like living far away from WDW. I appreciate it more when I DO get to go! (13 more days till I'll be appreciating it!)

JMishy

When we lived in Jacksonville, I loved living close to WDW and especially loved getting the Florida resident discounts! However, that was one of the only things I liked about Jacksonville.

Now, I'm over a thousand miles away. I do miss being so close. :(

peter11435

rainfully said:
I've done both.

I got sick of getting depressed when I got home from Orlando, so I decided to make Orlando my home.

And now I live 5 minutes away from WDW. And I go all the frickin' time. And you know what? It's sooooooo much more enjoyable for me. I can really really enjoy it. The little things. I can just pop in for an hour or two and just sit on a bench and enjoy people watching. Or browsing in the Emporium. Or getting a craving for a Dole Whip and just getting up and getting one. Or being able to hear that one of my favorite rides is going down for rehab and being able to go and ride it one last time.

Yeah.. I'm much happier now.
I agree. I think I enjoy Disney more now that I can (and do) visit nearly everyday. When you make that long trip to WDW for a few days you rush to get everything done and wipe yourself out. Your often exhausted by the time a night show comes around. Now I can spend little bits of time at the parks avoiding the crowds and avoiding the heat while never feeling rushed. And best of all it doesn't cost a dime. The AP is already paid for so other than a bit of gas and the possible citrus swirl it doesn't cost a thing. In fact here I am spending a normal Friday afternoon at home and tonight I plan on heading over to the studios for Fantasmic.

spoodles

Great topic. Man was I struggling with this last summer. I'm in upstate NY and always dreamed of living down there. We have 3 little ones and had been thinking if we're going to do it, let's do it now before they get any older and more entrenched (school, friends, etc.)

Anyway, we vacationed in WDW last April. Hadn't been since '97, so it was everything you talked about -- the anticipation, build up, complete escape of reality.

Then I went back to interview (WDW IT position) in July. While I was driving around near DTD I got this overwhelming feeling that this needs to be a place I escape to, not live. I'm sure this had to do with the fact that I was just there a few months before.

I ended up being offered the job. It was gut-wrenching decision time. The offer came in low (big surprise) and I ended up turning it down.

While I was going through the process, I talked with so many people about this very question. Many who moved there still feel the magic, and I think I would too, but it would be in a different way. As much as I still dream of living there, I'm careful what I wish for, and for now I'm content with it being an occasional escape. I only wish we could afford to go more often, but I'm working on that!

Since1976

I've dreamed about living close to Disney, but I can see myself reaching a point where I'd take it for granted.

Think about the major tourist attractions near where you live, and how often you go... I've got the nation's capital, Baltimore's Inner Harbor, and a couple of amusement parks near me, and I only visit these places every 3 or 4 years. Granted, I didn't move here *because* of those attractions. So, moving to Orlando might be a different story, as WDW is a major, major draw for me!

CaptainMichael

I would like to live closer than I currently do (9hrs). Close enough to have an annual pass a go a few weekends each year but not too close (within 3hours would be acceptable.)

inDisney

I live in Miami and it's just perfect. About 3 1/2 hours away; not too far, not too close. I think that living too close to Disney takes away from the magic, away from the excitement I get when preparing for a trip. I could make it a one day trip whenever I want. I love it. I am leaving on wednesday for 3 days, can't wait.:hammer:

dandaman

I'd choose to live by WDW. Why? For starters, a warmer climate than up here! :lol:

Also, I wouldn't visit WDW every single day! I could experience other Florida attractions, as well. (Always had a yearning to go to Busch Gardens.)

I've also always longed to work in WDW. Sure, I could get a low-paying job, but I'd strive to move up in positions. For example, even if I start out as a janitor, I could very well become a "Jammitor"! :lookaroun ;)

Lee

Adventurer
Corrus said:
You really mean that??? Just to be closer to the magic??? Jeez!!! :D :D :D

Yep. The wife could have gotten into several different med schools...Miami won out simply due to.....location, location, location.

Oh, and Ringo8n24....diggin the LeBon avatar. :cool:

DMage

rainfully said:
I've done both.

I got sick of getting depressed when I got home from Orlando, so I decided to make Orlando my home.

And now I live 5 minutes away from WDW. And I go all the frickin' time. And you know what? It's sooooooo much more enjoyable for me. I can really really enjoy it. The little things. I can just pop in for an hour or two and just sit on a bench and enjoy people watching. Or browsing in the Emporium. Or getting a craving for a Dole Whip and just getting up and getting one. Or being able to hear that one of my favorite rides is going down for rehab and being able to go and ride it one last time.

Yeah.. I'm much happier now.

This is exactly how I feel I will be once I move in a months time!

Pongo

I live an hour away, and even I wish I was closer. What with gas these days and tolls, I have to make any trip a day trip just to make it worth the money to get there and back.

I ALMOST went today after school. I was seriosuly thinking about it. But then I decided not to because of all the money it takes drive. Unless I take US 192... which would take about 7 years.

I am a Florida native that moved away 7 years ago. I miss Disney terribly. :cry: My family and I visit Disney and family every Feb. and June, we always opt to stay on property not with family (they understand, completely) I miss it that much. Twice a year isn't enough. I loved it when I lived there and I hope to return one day to possibly live in Celebration. My husband and I were looking at real estate in Celebration in February. :D It is the possibility of returning to the Disney area that keeps my hopes and dreams alive.:wave:

thejohn

mbroschak said:
I don't know if many people on this site can relate, but I have had both the opportunity to live within a 30 min. drive of WDW and live thousands of miles away. Before I lived close to WDW I always felt that everyone living in central Florida were so lucky to be able to go whenever their heart's desired, but now that I have lived within a short drive, I think I can honestly say that making it a vacation preserves the magic even more for me.
Let me explain: my wife and I are disney obsessed (two week honeymoon at AKL and Disney Wonder) and travel to DL and WDW every year. I love the weeks leading up to the trip when I start riding the attractions in my head, and can think of that feeling I get up my spine when I first hear the music walking up to the gates at EPCOT. The anticipation alone is a huge rush for me. When I get off that plane and I'm in vacation mode, reality dissapears and stays that way until I sadly get back on the plane at the end of the trip.
When I lived close to WDW, we would get up Saturday morning after working all week, deal with the traffic in Orlando and realize that the interstate is right beyond a few trees once we made it into the resort. Not to say that I don't love it either way, but their is just something to be said about removing yourself from reality all together. Isn't the old saying "absence makes the heart grow fonder". I don't know if anyone would agree with this and I never thought that I would feel this way until I had the chance to live close by. :)

I know what u mean but id rather live near Disney world

PamelaNiebergal

I would just love to be close enough to drive or to at least be able to find affordable plane tickets. Right now our flights make up the majority of our vacation dollars. I think if I lived within a days drive I would go every long weekend and then for at least a week straight every year. That would be perfect. Now we go for two weeks at a time but can only afford to go once a year at the most. Our goal is to someday retire in Orlando or at least live there for the winter but that's a long way off (we're still in our 20's). In the meantime I don't think I would chose to live that close. I love that WDW is our vacation destination. The excitement of looking forward to a trip, of planning for it, saving for it and then the thrill of getting off that plane and smelling that Florida air knowing the next two weeks will be amazing, that in itself is priceless.

bhg469

DMage said:
Hey BHG469, I am right by you in Niagara. Will be moving down to Orlando in mid April. Definitely looking forward to being able to keep my car on the road 365 days a year!

http://www.deloreanreborn.com
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2238202

OMG you have a deloran!!! That is awesome!!!!!!!!! OK if you want to come to a scca even this year i would love to take you for a ride in my sti if you would take me for a ride in yours. it doesn't have to be an auto x ride but just a ride around the block. That is just great man beautiful car by the way.. and hopefully we can cross paths in central florida sometime while we are trying to get over the heat in march.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom