If Walt were alive, what ride or attraction would impress him the most?

PurpleDragon

I find it funny how people make wild speculations on what a man who has been dead for well over half a century would think of their favorite attractions today. Seems kind of pointless to me.:shrug:

Notice the wide range of responses, because everyone wants to think that Walt would agree with their views and no one elses.:rolleyes:

Figment632

I find it funny how people make wild speculations on what a man who has been dead for well over half a century would think of their favorite attractions today. Seems kind of pointless to me.:shrug:

Notice the wide range of responses, because everyone wants to think that Walt would agree with their views and no one elses.:rolleyes:

Well to be a fan a Walt is to wonder things like this if you don't like it don't respond.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.

Thats because unlike me everyone else will be wrong, especially them what thinks that posting on a message board has a true purpose in life.

DABIGCHEEZ

Agreed... just like everyone thinks they know what attractions/shows/wands/hats/restaurants should be removed or stay or changed and not changed in WDW. Gives a new meaning to Fantasyland!!

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Really out of everything in MK like Splash Mountain you think a cartoon 3D film would impress him?
I might have to agree with the poster and comment you are referring too. Animation was such a huge part of his career... why not. Besides, it is his opinion.

dweezil78

Spiderman.

Agreed! Walt would be furious that his company hasn't topped their competition in 10+ years.

While obviously anything discussed in this thread is more or less fiction, I personally don't see Walt going gaga for AA attractions in the year 2010. This was tech he started using in the 60s. From what I hear, Universal is going to be using a new hybrid hologram/AA in the new Harry Potter ride -- that's something Walt could appreciate!

Look at the giant leap in what Disneyland was doing in 1955 when it opened and in the late 60s w/ the new Tomorrowland, Pirates, Haunted mansion etc. In a matter of 15 years they had gone almost lightyears ahead of what they had started with. In the 40 years since Walt's death, I can't really say Disney has progressed as much as they did in those 15 years. Sure they've grown and grown and grown, but the speed of their innovation has slowed tremendously.

Walt was always about constantly pushing things forward which is something Universal does way more than Disney these days.

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
He was so fussy about The Haunted Mansion...I would really like to have seen how it would have ended up had he been around for the final decisions on it.

Ziffell

Agreed! Walt would be furious that his company hasn't topped their competition in 10+ years.

While obviously anything discussed in this thread is more or less fiction, I personally don't see Walt going gaga for AA attractions in the year 2010. This was tech he started using in the 60s. From what I hear, Universal is going to be using a new hybrid hologram/AA in the new Harry Potter ride -- that's something Walt could appreciate!

Look at the giant leap in what Disneyland was doing in 1955 when it opened and in the late 60s w/ the new Tomorrowland, Pirates, Haunted mansion etc. In a matter of 15 years they had gone almost lightyears ahead of what they had started with. In the 40 years since Walt's death, I can't really say Disney has progressed as much as they did in those 15 years. Sure they've grown and grown and grown, but the speed of their innovation has slowed tremendously.

Walt was always about constantly pushing things forward which is something Universal does way more than Disney these days.

Totally agree with this! Walt was what today would be described as a "techno geek". I think that he would either have become bored with AAs or Disney's AAs would be considerably more advanced than they are today. Considering the amount of time that has passed, Disney's AAs aren't really all that impressive relatively speaking. People go nuts over Lucky the Dinosaur, but I think it's quite a bit overrated given where they could have been by now.

T-1MILLION

If Walt were honestly alive to see his parks attractions...he would have a heart attack seeing the conditions in how they are run.

Disney does not do AA's period anymore. what was the last one they really did? Potatohead? Luxor. Luxor retired already and Yeti is bogus now. So really Potatohead and the new pirate movie AAs are the only thing we have gotten.

It is sad really because those should truly be amazingly advanced and convincing now considering The American Adventure was done about two decades ago.

NASAMan

I think Walt would be most impressed by the Monorail. It is a working, viable means of transportation that provides a safe, reliable service (last summer's tragic accident an uncharacteristic exception). Walt's fascination with transportation, from his hobby railroad to pioneering magnetic propulsion, would be highly satisfied with the Monorail.

RiversideBunny

I think Walt would be most impressed by the Monorail. It is a working, viable means of transportation that provides a safe, reliable service (last summer's tragic accident an uncharacteristic exception). Walt's fascination with transportation, from his hobby railroad to pioneering magnetic propulsion, would be highly satisfied with the Monorail.

Wasn't there a monorail in operation at Disneyland while Walt Disney was still with us?

:)

Mick G.

Celebration works better than Epcot... OK, that's a pretty wide open statement. Let me see if I can explain.

Urban planning concepts and architectural design from the late 1970s would not translate well into the real world of 2010. Look at the current state of Future World... Massive concrete structures that WDW is struggling to make look futuristic, or even current by adding neon, twirly wind things, new colors... The future has always been a problem for Disney, because it's a moving target. Design quickly becomes dated. It's a problem with Tomorrowland, so much so that they have redesigned it to show a vision of the future from the past, one old enough to be nostalgic.

With Future World, it's the same problem, but on a larger scale. With a full city like Epcot, the problem would have been massive. The center of the city would currently look like a shopping mall from the 70s, and would be requiring constant renovation. All of those fantastic transportation systems would also be requiring massive updates and maintenance, which makes the overhead of the operation really expensive, and results in a "city" that isn't sustainable from a cost or design standpoint.

Now consider Celebration. Instead of Tomorrowland, it's Main Street, with designs rooted in our collective past, private homes linked by walkways and paths and electric cars. No monorails to maintain, no massive central core of offices and apartments, no need to constantly update the architecture...

Compare Tomorrowland/Future World with Main Street. How much has Main Street been updated over the years? Except for some paint and the addition of retail space, not much.

In the end, we don't know what Walt would have thought. I get the idea that he was full of surprises. But I do know that just prior to his death, he was using the ceiling tiles over his bed to lay out the city of Epcot. Not a theme park. And I think the theme park, especially in its current state, would hack him off. "Future World? This is the future? Cars that go fast, time-traveling talk-show hosts, greenhouses and aquariums and a very dark imagination, a break-dancing space dude and an attraction that is mostly about the past, with the cartoon future playing out on a tiny TV for half of the ride? And a park full of people so interested in watching whatever is on their tiny phone screen that they can't be bothered to watch where they are going? WHERE'S MY FLYING CAR!!!"

In my imagination, I can see him walking through the city center of Celebration, commenting on how it reminds him of Marcelline, except for the fountain where the kids play, the bicycles and odd little vehicles scooting around, and the restaurants serving lunch outside, where you can overlook the pond and wondering where the alligators are.

And then Walt asks, "So where's the train station?"

Mick

LoriMistress

Celebration works better than Epcot... OK, that's a pretty wide open statement. Let me see if I can explain.

Urban planning concepts and architectural design from the late 1970s would not translate well into the real world of 2010. Look at the current state of Future World... Massive concrete structures that WDW is struggling to make look futuristic, or even current by adding neon, twirly wind things, new colors... The future has always been a problem for Disney, because it's a moving target. Design quickly becomes dated. It's a problem with Tomorrowland, so much so that they have redesigned it to show a vision of the future from the past, one old enough to be nostalgic.

With Future World, it's the same problem, but on a larger scale. With a full city like Epcot, the problem would have been massive. The center of the city would currently look like a shopping mall from the 70s, and would be requiring constant renovation. All of those fantastic transportation systems would also be requiring massive updates and maintenance, which makes the overhead of the operation really expensive, and results in a "city" that isn't sustainable from a cost or design standpoint.

Now consider Celebration. Instead of Tomorrowland, it's Main Street, with designs rooted in our collective past, private homes linked by walkways and paths and electric cars. No monorails to maintain, no massive central core of offices and apartments, no need to constantly update the architecture...

Compare Tomorrowland/Future World with Main Street. How much has Main Street been updated over the years? Except for some paint and the addition of retail space, not much.

In the end, we don't know what Walt would have thought. I get the idea that he was full of surprises. But I do know that just prior to his death, he was using the ceiling tiles over his bed to lay out the city of Epcot. Not a theme park. And I think the theme park, especially in its current state, would hack him off. "Future World? This is the future? Cars that go fast, time-traveling talk-show hosts, greenhouses and aquariums and a very dark imagination, a break-dancing space dude and an attraction that is mostly about the past, with the cartoon future playing out on a tiny TV for half of the ride? And a park full of people so interested in watching whatever is on their tiny phone screen that they can't be bothered to watch where they are going? WHERE'S MY FLYING CAR!!!"

In my imagination, I can see him walking through the city center of Celebration, commenting on how it reminds him of Marcelline, except for the fountain where the kids play, the bicycles and odd little vehicles scooting around, and the restaurants serving lunch outside, where you can overlook the pond and wondering where the alligators are.

And then Walt asks, "So where's the train station?"

Mick

Very good point!

RiversideBunny

It's very difficult to say what a person who's gone on would think about what's here today. One reason is that the person would not be the same person if all the new stuff that's here now is available for them to experiece and think about.

For example, people on TV sometimes sell replicas of Jaqueline Kennedy's jewelry as though it's something she would always and forever wear. I suspect that if she were here now she'd be getting new jewelry.

I see pictures of Marilyn Monroe and think that if she were here today she'd be working out and getting buff to fit the current trend in beauty.

If Mozart came back he might take up the electric guitar.

People are flexible. Times change. The environment around them changes. Are you the same person now that you were ten years ago? Do you think the same way you did ten years ago?

I once read a story where Shakespeare comes back to life in modern times but with a different body so nobody knows him. He enrolls in a college Shakespeare class. In the class they read selected portions of his works and then ask, "What did Shakespeare mean by this?". They gave tests on that. He wrote down on his test papers what he meant.
He flunked the class. His answers did not match what the instructor had decided were the correct answers.

Tks.
:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom