If the MSEP is returning to Disneyland, what happens to Magic Happens?

wtyy21

Celebrating MSEP's 50th at wrong park (DL) seems odd from WDW prespective giving that this is WDW 50th anniversary (ran from this month until April 2023). Why not celebrating MSEP's 50th anniversary in the Magic Kingdom with combination of Spectro and PTN tech, and giving DL Paint the Night and Magic Happens instead.

doctornick

Celebrating MSEP's 50th at wrong park (DL) seems odd from WDW prespective giving that this is WDW 50th anniversary (ran from this month until April 2023). Why not celebrating MSEP's 50th anniversary in the Magic Kingdom with combination of Spectro and PTN tech, and giving DL Paint the Night and Magic Happens instead.
Just to be clear: 2022 is the 50th anniversary of MSEP debuting at Disneyland and the version still in existence is the DL original (MK’s copy has been lost). It would be odd to do anything except feature it at DL next year

MaryJaneP

It seems as though the transition to a projection-based fireworks show has forced severe crowding to occur in the MK hub area, thereby significantly complicating any other use of those areas for things such as parades and/or cavalcades. Whereas the prior fireworks shows (Wishes and Fantasy in the Sky) could be enjoyed throughout the many lands, and did not require viewing the front of the castle, the current use of projectors makes non-front-of-castle viewing, while possible, majorly suboptimal. It would, indeed, be surprising, given these limitations, for there ever to be a parade and fireworks show anytime close to one another in the MK.

Goofyernmost

It seems as though the transition to a projection-based fireworks show has forced severe crowding to occur in the MK hub area, thereby significantly complicating any other use of those areas for things such as parades and/or cavalcades. Whereas the prior fireworks shows (Wishes and Fantasy in the Sky) could be enjoyed throughout the many lands, and did not require viewing the front of the castle, the current use of projectors makes non-front-of-castle viewing, while possible, majorly suboptimal. It would, indeed, be surprising, given these limitations, for there ever to be a parade and fireworks show anytime close to one another in the MK.
Oh, but listen, those in the know are saying that it is not only worth what they used to charge when all that stuff existed as part of your admission price, but that todays stuff is so much better that it is worth whatever Disney decides to charge. Because... Magic!

fgmnt

I think this is a really funny trio of discussion points.

Paint The Night deserves to go to DHS, then. It’s current situation matches the description, IMHO. And it would spread crowds. Or give Epcot it’s evening pageant back. Or fix RoL. Or put Drones into Disney Springs to serve the crowd-mopping function Pleasure Island had. Or do it all! Crowding in terms of re-entry can be easily fixed if there are many different things going on, and this is the way it used to be. Disneyland was able to handle two night parades, three major nighttime spectaculars, and a dance party that was likely a WAY better alcohol-seller than many of the gimmicks tried at Orlando. Heck, even Disneyland Paris is getting parades and fireworks back soon. I don’t see why, with the blessing of size, this has consistently been a stumbling block with TDO, and why the parks haven’t had at least six or seven evening experiences running consistently.
tired brain: bring back rivers of light to animal kingdom
inspired brain: send harmonious floats to animal kingdom
galactic brain: tear down the sound theater, expand echo lake, and clone world of color for DHS

I find it difficult to select the most cynical cutback/limitation TDO has had inflicted on itself or inflicted on their parks in the last decade+. Slashing nighttime hours and nighttime entertainment at the castle park is probably a dark horse for number one. I remember very distinctly being in the park very, very late in the summer, running something like an 11:00 PM SpectroMagic, getting in line for Space Mountain, and rolling out the gates well after midnight. Compounding increasing demand for the product with cutbacks of hours and nighttime attractions has been one of the most wild things to witness them do.

Disneyson

tired brain: bring back rivers of light to animal kingdom
inspired brain: send harmonious floats to animal kingdom
galactic brain: tear down the sound theater, expand echo lake, and clone world of color for DHS

I find it difficult to select the most cynical cutback/limitation TDO has had inflicted on itself or inflicted on their parks in the last decade+. Slashing nighttime hours and nighttime entertainment at the castle park is probably a dark horse for number one. I remember very distinctly being in the park very, very late in the summer, running something like an 11:00 PM SpectroMagic, getting in line for Space Mountain, and rolling out the gates well after midnight. Compounding increasing demand for the product with cutbacks of hours and nighttime attractions has been one of the most wild things to witness them do.
I’d have to agree with that. Those late-night hours with the spray of Splash on you as you looked out onto the purple-blue castle in the Florida humidity at 11:00 pm, watching Spectro come down Frontierland. That’s the magic.

Raineman

Rumor is, the new nighttime parade at MK will just be Chapek walking along the parade route, holding a sparkler and collecting cash from the people watching.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Paint the Night is the parade equivalent of Mickey's Mix Magic. Absolutely horrendous soundtrack with no grandeur or magesty whatsoever. I genuinely can't understand why people like it so much. It's an embarrassment for a castle park. It's like a toddler with a Disney+ subscription got ahold of some cocaine and a box of Christmas lights.
I almost always agree with you, good Captain. But we part company on this one.

ToTBellHop

I suppose I was overly harsh. I don't hate the show in an abstract sense. I'm perfectly fine with the idea of it in DCA or DHS. But it's wildly out of place rolling down Main Street.
The tone does not match MK at all. DL doesn’t really shy away from the party atmosphere, but MK has always presented itself with classy grandeur that was epitomized by the likes of SpectroMagic or Wishes (HEA, as well).

PtN would be a great fit for DHS and solve the issue of fireworks in that park. PtN with Fantasmic! would be a great nighttime package just like it works with WoC. Here it would work even better, arguably, since they could schedule things to sequester F! guests from PtN guests (e.g. have PtN step off at 9 pm and show F! at 9:30 pm). That would also make people extend their vacations by a night, Bob!

1635337556264.jpeg

CaptainAmerica

That would also make people extend their vacations by a night, Bob!
I'm not convinced they WANT people to extend their vacations by a night. Two families staying 4 nights each are more profitable in total than one family staying 8 nights. Obviously they'd like to capture both, but occupancy was pretty dang high for most of the 2010s and room inventory is static in the short term.

pdude81

The tone does not match MK at all. DL doesn’t really shy away from the party atmosphere, but MK has always presented itself with classy grandeur that was epitomized by the likes of SpectroMagic or Wishes (HEA, as well).

PtN would be a great fit for DHS and solve the issue of fireworks in that park. PtN with Fantasmic! would be a great nighttime package just like it works with WoC. Here it would work even better, arguably, since they could schedule things to sequester F! guests from PtN guests (e.g. have PtN step off at 9 pm and show F! at 9:30 pm). That would also make people extend their vacations by a night, Bob!
I'd be worried about traffic flow in DHS if they had a nighttime parade. I like the idea, but I think that would work better down the road if they end up creating a new path through Animation Courtyard.

As for DL getting MSEP back, I'm favorable as I personally love that parade. PTN is better IMO but that doesn't mean I can't be excited about the original. I'm just not clear on what this Parks Tiktok means. Some future return? I'd assume the Christmas parade would return first, but it would be awesome to have MSEP for a week or two and then Christmas Fantasy for the rest of the year, and back to MSEP for 2022. Hopefully we learn more soon.

Vegas Disney Fan

Paint the Night is the parade equivalent of Mickey's Mix Magic. Absolutely horrendous soundtrack with no grandeur or magesty whatsoever. I genuinely can't understand why people like it so much. It's an embarrassment for a castle park. It's like a toddler with a Disney+ subscription got ahold of some cocaine and a box of Christmas lights.
I enjoy the Paint the Night music… I think it’s the Magic Happens music that sounds like Mickeys Mix Magic.

Either way the trend for dance music rather than Disney hits is troubling.

SpectroBro

In the Parks
Yes
Maybe I'm being naïve, but I feel like if they are going to run a regular parade at DLR, they'd probably also plan to bring back FoF in the same timeframe. unless staffing prohibits. I thought folks on here have mentioned that there are plans to bring FoF back.
That’s supposed to be the plan. Post-holidays..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom