If DLP closes, move everything to WDW

cloudboy

First a request - please try and write out a full name at least once before using the acronym - it get's hard to decipher sometimes, especially when people use different ones for the same thing - my mind can only hold so much.

Now, as far as the logic of Paris... Back when they were looking at where to build the park, Spain did not have the high-speed railroad links that Paris had. Plus, of you placed the park near Paris, you were within a day trip of one of the most populated cities in Europe, and with the Chunnel a quick train ride from another one.

Unfortunately it turned out that 1) being a day trip didn't make a trip to Disney special enough and (this is my opinion, by the way) people didn't dedicate a while vacation to it, and 2) As it turned out it was cheaper for people from Britain to come to Florida than to go to France!

I think the media in particular likes to pick on Disneyland Paris becuase they made such wild predictions about being profitable in a few years. I agree they are having financial problems, but they are making headway. Give it some time and I think it will turn around.

As far as what I would do to make it better, I think they need to do something very different there - make it unlike the other Disney parks, so that there is a reason to go there instead of Florida.

donsullivan

Premium Member
grandmath had it right earlier in stating that the underlying problem at Disneyland Resort, Paris was that they severely overbuilt at the beginning. The result was a massive debtload that they couldn't possibly keep up with no matter how successful they were.

What ever gave them the idea that they should build 6 enormous hotels when they only had one park for guests to visit? And on top of that, you could easily cover the whole park in a day to day and one-half.

If you look carefully at the actual attendance stats over the early years and even up until now, you'll find that the numbers are right up there with what they expected them to be and are certainly the types of numbers that should result in success. However, like any new business enterprise on this scale there are a lot of kinks that need to be worked out in the first couple of years. Some of these were operational issues, and many of them were cultural issues where Disney just wasn't paying attention to what was going on around them and tried to do everything the same way they do in Orlando. Well they learned the hard way that it wasn't going to work that way. Many Europeans meal habits are different from what we are just fine with here. They don't purchase every t-shirt and other merchandise with Mickey on it the way visitors to the US parks do.

As a result, in the beginning while the guest numbers were there, the overall revenue wasn't quite what they had based their financial models on. The hotel occupancy levels were ridiculously low, the spending per guest was less than anticipated. All the while the mortage payments still had to be made each month.

When you line all of this together, all of a sudden you don't have any financial flexibilty for the operational stuff and your upside down financially from the start. Okay so they went back and restructured the debt load. Well that just pushed the problem into the future. Now they build the new park under the management team that made a mess out of WDW and was behind the cheasiest park yet (Disney's California Adventure) and you have a recipe for a financial mess.

Now they've gotten themselves so deep into this whole thing, they don't have much choice but to ride it out and hope that over the next 10 years they can get their financial house in order so that the press about some bad management decisions made in the development of the site stops tarnishing the reputation of a truly wonderful palce to visit.

DarkMeasures

I say Disney eats some of the revenues from the Movie part of the company to pay off DLP all together..

I can really see though. They build their biggest and bestest park ever not caring about money when they have to pay unlike Tokyo Disney which has practically an infinite budget.

Jiko

Originally posted by Pumbas Nakasak

I do like France but the Parisians are the only people on earth that could make new Yoikers seem understated.

Why don't you think a bit before speaking? :mad:

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Originally posted by Jiko

he speaks the apparent truth...

why don't the New Yorkers that give their city a bad name move to New Jersey?..

New York and Paris, although they are both great cities (I still hate the Yankees and most Parisians however), their residents seem to have a superiority complex in regards to other cities when they're presented with an out of towner or when they're elsewhere....

I deal daily with people from all over the world, and I only notice these attributes with those from NYC and Paris...

now, that's not saying that all residents of those cities are like that... but there certainly are enough out there to make me think twice about ever going there.

Jiko

Originally posted by mkt
he speaks the apparent truth...

why don't the New Yorkers that give their city a bad name move to New Jersey?..

New York and Paris, although they are both great cities (I still hate the Yankees and most Parisians however), their residents seem to have a superiority complex in regards to other cities when they're presented with an out of towner or when they're elsewhere....

I deal daily with people from all over the world, and I only notice these attributes with those from NYC and Paris...

now, that's not saying that all residents of those cities are like that... but there certainly are enough out there to make me think twice about ever going there.

Why don't you stop with the generalizations? I deal with people from all over the world, too. I see them as I pass by ground zero everyday, and I have discovered that people are people. Until you get to know them, don't make such blanket statements.

When someone mentioned Spain, you were quick to the defense. So let me do the same for myself.

Jiko

Originally posted by PhotoDave219
Ive thought about it, he's right. Besides, wouldnt your rather be a New Yorker than French? :D

Well, though I'm a New Yorker, I am partly of French descent. :D

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Why don't you stop with the generalizations? I deal with people from all over the world, too. I see them as I pass by ground zero everyday, and I have discovered that people are people. Until you get to know them, don't make such blanket statements.

When someone mentioned Spain, you were quick to the defense. So let me do the same for myself.

reread my post....

btw, I was born in Boston... i'm legally obligated to hate you..

:lol:

PhotoDave219

On the whole, every brit Ive talked to about DLP wont go to DLP because they have issue with the French.

Kinda like how i will never go to Busch Gardens in Tampa because i have issues with Tampa. Makes perfectly good sense to me....

Punkss

I have read in the British Daily Telegraph (broadsheet, proper news!) that Disneyland Paris has the right figures for attendance but got the demographics wrong! They are suprised that despite the fact that less Brits go it is made up for by the French in numbers.

What ever gave them the idea that they should build 6 enormous hotels when they only had one park for guests to visit? And on top of that, you could easily cover the whole park in a day to day and one-half.

I think this is true and i think only now with a second park will more stay overnight and use these hotels, i for one will be next year!

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.

I did and having conducted extensive studies posted my findings. And thanks to your post it would indicate that my initial research was fairly accurate.

Did I ever mention how much I love fishing?

Pumbas Nakasak

I see them as I pass by ground zero everyday, .

What’s the significance of this in relation to a post about arrogant French and goby Noo Yoikers ?

Oh I see you mention your part French and a new Yorker, so doubly blessed in the charisma department then.

I like watching salmon.

guwag

Originally posted by Pumbas Nakasak
Anyone who has endured the Paris ring road at rush-hour will know what i mean.
Oooh oui, J'adore le Périphérique, there's nothing more scary than being in a car that is towing a caravan during rush-hour there! :dazzle: I've never understood why the exits just appear out of nowhere, along with the way that entering vehicles get priority :hammer:

As for the English V French thing, I really don't see why so many of us "rosbifs" seem to have such an aversion to the French. I think the thing is that not much is generally known about France, bar the stereotypes of Frogs Legs, Snails, stripey top and beret.

If I had been told before coming to Montréal that my best friend here would turn out to be from Marseille I would not have believed it - I had never imagined the French (not to sound offensive) to be so "normal" but thankfully neither did I have any preconceptions.

So many English go on holiday to France yet do not integrate with the residents in any way which, IMHO, is a shame - they're like any of us, just with a different language! (Which doesn't bother me any more after living and operating mainly in French since July :) )

grandmath

Originally posted by PhotoDave219
On the whole, every brit Ive talked to about DLP wont go to DLP because they have issue with the French.

English is the second largest audience for DLRP, 1 out of 5 guest is brit, so let's not say they don't come. And I would say that thoses thoughts are stupid, to go to DLRP is not equal to going to France. :)

cam_origine_visiteurs_en.gif

Pumbas Nakasak

Originally posted by guwag

If I had been told before coming to Montréal that my best friend here would turn out to be from Marseille I would not have believed it - I had never imagined the French (not to sound offensive) to be so "normal" but thankfully neither did I have any preconceptions.

Last time I looked Marseille was a good bit south of Paris, again a gross generalisation but the northern French and Parisians in particular are just too for me.

Just in case you think Im biased Corsica is my favourite part of Europe, but then they’d probably argue that their not French either:)

And Im not even going to mention French Canadians:zipit:

grandmath

Originally posted by guwag
I've never understood why the exits just appear out of nowhere, along with the way that entering vehicles get priority :hammer:

Well perhaps you didn't understand anything! :lol: Cause it's the other way round, entering vehicles don't have priority (some take it though), and all exits are indicated well in advance, along with estimated time to arrive to the biggest exits.

But just don't criticize because it is not like at home for you.
:wave:

We could also say a whole lot about americans or other countries :D What about those IDIOTS coming out from the France pavillion at Epcot and being surprised at the fact that yes, we have cars in France too? :hammer:

As for me, I really like american people. But hey, it's the same for every country: there are as.holes everywhere! :lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom