If any of us had authority to approve new rides/rehabs, we would bancrupt the company

PeterAlt

Original Poster
AndyP said:
Sometimes the parks need a big spending spree to bring people back (1 ride won't do this!). Sometimes not. I would be a responsible CEO, but an even better Imagineer! If only you knew my ideas for Indiana Jones Stunt show area!

Well, even though I am convinced that I would be a responsible CEO as well, when I think of the things that must be done, the list becomes astronomical... and that's just the "must do" list, so even with my best intentions of being responsible, I don't think there's enough money even available for the "must do" list.

When Don Tantum didn't find the money within the Company to build EPCOT, he issued 30-year bonds to pay for it, which the company is still paying off. Eisner built both MGM and AK with money the company had in the bank. Since EPCOt was Don Tantum's baby, he put all of the company's resources into it (in addition to the bonds) and declared the Magic Kingdom "finished" thereby excusing him from investing anything more into it, including new attractions and rehabs.

By letting the Magic Kingdom deteriorate, you end up paying the bill in the future, as the company is doing now with the Magic Kingdom. So, if you keep investing a small amount of money each year to upkeep all the attractions at all the parks, you won't be hit with such a bill in the future, which may be one way to keep everything fresh and new, while controlling costs.

Every park should also get a new $100 million plus E-ticket ride every three years. Out of hundreds of candidates for that money, the CEO must have the self-discipline to choose only one.

Disneyland1970

Very cool info!
I just find it kind of ironic that on Eisners first visit to Glendale he had the courage and foresight to greenlight 4 rides,1 country,a waterpark and a late night dance concept. All in one visit! What happened? Where is this force of creativity we call EISNER??
Heck,odds are the guy he talked to at Glendale is now working somewhere else due to Eisners lack of funding for creative projects. I wonder if there is that many good ideas down the pipe anymore? The cheap rides and parks of late do not reflect the NEW GUY of the 80's..... I sure miss him!

Disneyland1970

Oh yeah,

Look at all the money he could spend before he dicovered BRANDING!!

I still think the bottom line is better now than the mid 80's! What is the excuse Mike?? Hmmmm maybe that is where he gets his bonus money from!

PeterAlt

Original Poster
Disneyland1970 said:
Very cool info!
I just find it kind of ironic that on Eisners first visit to Glendale he had the courage and foresight to greenlight 4 rides,1 country,a waterpark and a late night dance concept. All in one visit! What happened? Where is this force of creativity we call EISNER??
Heck,odds are the guy he talked to at Glendale is now working somewhere else due to Eisners lack of funding for creative projects. I wonder if there is that many good ideas down the pipe anymore? The cheap rides and parks of late do not reflect the NEW GUY of the 80's..... I sure miss him!

What happened was the stockholders jumped down his neck. Convinced that what he approved would bring in new business, rather than drain company resources, in 1990 he approved "The Disney Decade" -- a plan that would build multitudes of new attractions over a 10-year period, rather than all at once. In other words, attractions planned for the future were pre-approved years in advance. This plan was on-track until the recession of the early '90's, which basically cancelled the Disney Decade, as each project that was built after that was approved on a per project basis.

Much of what was supposed to get built under the Disney Decade and was actually announced by a huge press conference by Eisner in 1990 was never built. From the top of my head, here are some: Hollywoodland for DL, Roger Rabit's Hollywood for MGM, Muppet Land for MGM, Switzerland for EPCOT, Mt. Fuji and a Gizi shopping district for Japan at EPCOT, Russia for EPCOT (with a Kremlin replica!), a new AA show at MK about cowboys and indians, Journey to the Center of the Earth addition to backlot tram tour at MGM, a Little Mermaid dark ride for MK, there might have been an Aladin dark ride for MK too (I'm not sure), and many more. The Roger Rabit land at MGM was to include a dark ride called ________ Tracy's Crime Stoppers, Roger Rabit's Cartoon Spin, Benny the Cab (a flight sim ride), and trollies. The Muppet land was to include the Great Muppet Ride, a spoof of the Great Movie Ride. (I've seen the concept art for all of these and they looked amazing!)

The Disney Decade was also supposed to have dozens of new elebrorate hotels built. The hotel build-out has happened, and continues to this day, but "cheap" hotels, like the All Stars, was added, and replaced the expensive eleborate hotels that were to get built, such as the Meditteranean (sp?). Some attractions that were never on the list of Disney Decade ended up getting built, such as the Tower of Tower (originally listed in the Disney Decade as an actual hotel resort, not a ride) and Rock 'N Roller Coaster.

The New Tommorland was part of the Disney Decade, but the plans I've seen had a lot more to it than what was actually built. "A fouth theme park" was also part of the Disney Decade but Eisner was not ready to announce the theme of it in 1990 other than saying that the company would build a fourth park in 1998. Those plans didn't change and AK was planned all along. The only change in the AK plans was the shelving of Beastly Kingdom. Disney's Boardwalk was part of the Disney Decade, but the announced plans in 1990 had carnival rides included as part of it, and it was to be another "mini-park", or "mini-gate", and even include a night-time lightshow called "Noah's Ark" that would have been staged on the water. I'm pretty sure Blizzard Beach was also part of the Disney Decade, but I'm not sure.

speck76

PeterAlt said:
What happened was the stockholders jumped down his neck. Convinced that what he approved would bring in new business, rather than drain company resources, in 1990 he approved "The Disney Decade" -- a plan that would build multitudes of new attractions over a 10-year period, rather than all at once. In other words, attractions planned for the future were pre-approved years in advance. This plan was on-track until the recession of the early '90's, which basically cancelled the Disney Decade, as each project that was built after that was approved on a per project basis.

That was the major problem with such a large announcement that covered a huge time frame....once the recession occured, and attendance tanked, the company could not afford to fund such a huge venture AND keep a decent relationship with the major stockholders. (BTW...NO company cares about the mom and pop stock holders). Also, as quickly as the economy changes, so do the tastes of the general public.....much of the MGM expansion was to do with ________ Tracy, which turned out to be a not-so-popular movie. Also, a lot was to do with Roger Rabbit, but after conflicts with Amblin, the projects were cancelled......(which is too bad, as the Roger Rabbit shorts are some of the best shorts to be created in recent years).

Disneyland1970

PeterAlt said:

Much of what was supposed to get built under the Disney Decade and was actually announced by a huge press conference by Eisner in 1990 was never built. From the top of my head, here are some: Hollywoodland for DL, Roger Rabit's Hollywood for MGM, Muppet Land for MGM, Switzerland for EPCOT, Mt. Fuji and a Gizi shopping district for Japan at EPCOT, Russia for EPCOT (with a Kremlin replica!), a new AA show at MK about cowboys and indians, Journey to the Center of the Earth addition to backlot tram tour at MGM, a Little Mermaid dark ride for MK, there might have been an Aladin dark ride for MK too (I'm not sure), and many more. The Roger Rabit land at MGM was to include a dark ride called ________ Tracy's Crime Stoppers, Roger Rabit's Cartoon Spin, Benny the Cab (a flight sim ride), and trollies. The Muppet land was to include the Great Muppet Ride, a spoof of the Great Movie Ride. (I've seen the concept art for all of these and they looked amazing!)

The Disney Decade was also supposed to have dozens of new elebrorate hotels built. The hotel build-out has happened, and continues to this day, but "cheap" hotels, like the All Stars, was added, and replaced the expensive eleborate hotels that were to get built, such as the Meditteranean (sp?). Some attractions that were never on the list of Disney Decade ended up getting built, such as the Tower of Tower (originally listed in the Disney Decade as an actual hotel resort, not a ride) and Rock 'N Roller Coaster.

The New Tommorland was part of the Disney Decade, but the plans I've seen had a lot more to it than what was actually built. "A fouth theme park" was also part of the Disney Decade but Eisner was not ready to announce the theme of it in 1990 other than saying that the company would build a fourth park in 1998. Those plans didn't change and AK was planned all along. The only change in the AK plans was the shelving of Beastly Kingdom. Disney's Boardwalk was part of the Disney Decade, but the announced plans in 1990 had carnival rides included as part of it, and it was to be another "mini-park", or "mini-gate", and even include a night-time lightshow called "Noah's Ark" that would have been staged on the water. I'm pretty sure Blizzard Beach was also part of the Disney Decade, but I'm not sure.

It's a shame all of these good ideas went to the way side or were cut to the bone. It just seems that once the economy picked up after the early 90's, the theme parks (WDW and DL) were left to spoil, for DLP, ABC & ESPN. Not much was done in the parks or the ones being built to capture that excitement and creativity that Eisner had at the start. I blame Eisner and the people Eisner hired for all these issues that are just starting to fester now. During this time period is where $$$ became the focus of Disney and not Magic. It seems the Disney Decade sure pooped out!

You stated that the stockholder were all over him and he had to scale back the building, well I wish Eisner would listen to the stockholders now. Either start putting magic back in the Disney name or please bow out gracefully and with some class. I know that new construction and rehabs seem to be everywhere you look lately. IMHO it is well needed, overdue and pretty much required to get the theme park division back to par. It seems to be the only thing doing well for Disney as of late.

It will be a great day when EE opens and we all get to ride it for the first time, but if they let the ride fall into disrepair like SM for example, then I say why bother. It is just awful to ride Splash and not enjoy the ride for what it is, but instead look for all the AA that is not working. The little things make the difference, but as long as the tickets slide into the readers at the gates, it seems nobody cares. This leads into another problem, why the cut back in maintenance?? I know money was the main reason, but it has proved to be very expensive now, judging by all the walls and tarps covering buildings and attractions. Even a life was lost due to this cost cutting bologna, I think a vast majority of people would do without one new- e-ticket ride to ensure the rides that are built are working as advertised, clean and SAFE!!

But again it is the little things... How come Disney does not give you lotion and shower caps in the resort rooms anymore?? How much money is saved by Disney for these little things. Heck even the toilet paper in the parks is of the cheapest quality, little things. It always seems everything is done now reactive, instead of proactive,which was a Disney trait from the start. It's the fine details that used to set Disney apart, which seem to be lost now. Even Card Walker knew the people expected a Disney Park when they walked thru main gates.Clean,safe and working. He may have cut ride budgets, but he never let the infrastructure fall into the condition it is in now. I know he was CEO for a short time, but you list him as the worst. I feel Eisner, POST 1995 as the worst enemy of the theme parks.

Now with each passing addition of cheap and lesser creative rides the parks are slowly moving towards the Six Flags state of a park. In all of your above statements,Disney,was the leader in the theme park world, today the competition has not only caught up, but even surpassed in a few areas. All of your above accounts of a better, more creative time have passed, its not the late 1980's, early 1990's anymore. Eisner needs to step up again, llike he did in Glendale if he wants my vote next March.

LordHelmut

From someone who has been at the parks almost every year.... not that it makes a difference

IMHO, managment of the parks, in addition to the rest of the Disney legacy is overwhelming to say the least. Could any of us approve rides/rehabs, certainly. I would almost welcome the opportunity, but it would most likely come at the cost of enjoying the magic of the parks.

Most folks do not realize the incredible effort, compromise & trade-offs that occur during development and roll-out of these attractions. Imagine for just one moment anywhere in the US that you could even begin to place WDW with the latitude that Disney enjoys. Then attempt to deal with the massive bueracracy and talking heads telling you what the kids will want to see this year.

As others have stated, certainly one of the first things needing attention are those things that have always made WDW different from every other theme park, attention to detail. I cringe when I visit the parks sometimes and find parts of the magic that have either been let go, or badly repaired. (Patches in the 'rotating rooms' screen in COP, AA effects not working over extended periods anyone ?)

One of the keys to future rides, is something that I have not seen very much of recently (TOT R&R American Adventure being some of the exceptions), that is the ability to find an concept that will hold up to re-visitation year after year, and not get dated or boring. How many of you could stand up without a seatbelt in the Star Wars ride, and not fall over because you know exactly what is going to happen next ? Now compare that to how many times you went thru HM before you thought you noticed every detail about the ride ? I am 30+ years old, I still am finding/noticing new things on the 'classic' rides.

Finally (yes its a long post) a clear head needs to remain in control of the urge to make every ride a rollercoaster like a six-flags. Adventure is great, and has its place, but Disney is, and should always be a place for the family.

speck76

LordHelmut said:
Adventure is great, and has its place, but Disney is, and should always be a place for the family.

That being said, should it be a place for a family with very young kids, or teenagers, or a couple with no kids.....define family. :wave:

LordHelmut

Ok, family.... interesting point.

Again, this is only my own viewpoint,

Family has meant many things to me over the years. When I was 4, the world as I knew it consisted of sedate rides, and all was good. My parents enjoyed the rides with me (hated lines and tickets) Disney was affordable as the Days Inn over towards the airport was around $10.00 a day. My Dad worked extra furniture refinishing jobs so that we could afford the trip.

As I grew up, Space Mountain, Big Thunder moved into play, and again all was good. My parents did not always ride the more adventuresome rides, but we all had something in common that we enjoyed (like POtC). At this time, my grandparents were able to come to the park and enjoy a couple of days of attractions.

Towards/during the high school years I sought out more of the rides/attractions/shows that I was not able to ride due to height/age restrictions. I was even able to show my parents a many places that had been built over the decade that they didnt know existed.

(fast forward)

Now that I have a family of my own, I can still visit the MK and take in every ride, even though most terribly bore my 15yr stepdaughter. Unfortunely she missed 'growing up Disney', it took 3 trips in one year (it was a VERY good year) for her to start to appriciate the magic (and to get a autograph book and pursue every character in sight) My wife has even started to go on the roller coasters.... although I think TOT is still out of reach. My parents still go, although with the passing of the years, their stamina to stay in the parks for a long time is way behind them.

(Future)
I hope to visit with my children, and their children, and tell them of the good times I have had.

So, a family is something that is almost always changing and evolving. It is a 'thing' that is all of those categories you have mentioned. Part of what makes Disney, well... Disney is that all of those ages can enjoy the parks. With the exception of some of the smaller, family-run parks I defy anyone to show me where this exists elsewhere.

Disneyland1970

LordHelmut, I have to agree whole heartedly with your family definition! I love the recent trips we have taken with my parents, and my 4 year old all able to enjoy something together! :)

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Yes

That being said, should it be a place for a family with very young kids, or teenagers, or a couple with no kids.....define family. Speck76

And the answer is yes. A family environment is where your various groups and any number of others...just teenagers, grandparents, singles etc. can ALL feel welcome and enjoy.

When it comes to imagineering, where else is that achieved but Disney. It is the essence of successful rides and attractions, and one of the main underlying themes of many posts here. [Successful attraction like PoTC = family entertainment, recent "cheap" attraction ie Hester and Chester = same old amusement park]

spectrodanny

What I would take out:

SpectroMagic

What I would put In:

Dreamlights

Seasonal Attractions:

Country Bear Jamboree would show ALL 3 shows.

January -May:Original
Late May-Late November: Vacation
Late November- January: Christmas

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom