If any of us had authority to approve new rides/rehabs, we would bancrupt the company

PeterAlt

Original Poster
Think of this. Imagineers develop tons of concepts for new rides. Some of these concepts, such as Time Racers, are leaked to the public. But the great majority of their work is kept secret, and we may never know about these ideas until they decide to actually build it.

Knowing this, if any of us (by some incredible luck) were to become Disney's next CEO, we would have the authority to choose which of these ride concepts get funding. I bet you, if any of us get so lucky, the first thing we would do is go to Glendale, CA, and visit the Imagineer's model shop, where every ride that they ever dreamed of, built, or unbuilt, lay waiting for approval by any future CEO that may visit.

When Eisner was made CEO, and when he toured the model shop for his first time, he went with his son Breck, who saw the model of Splash Mountain. "Hey, dad, look at this! This is what Disneyland needs... a water ride!" And his father agreed and asked why it wasn't built. The answer was that previous management never okayed it. So Eisner said, "I'm, okaying it, so build it!" And it was built.

Delighted that Eisner just approved almost $100 million for a new ride, the head of Imagineering said, "While you're here, let me show you some other models..." They showed Eisner the model for The Great Movie Ride, which was being proposed for EPCOT. Eisner said that he tried to get Paramount be build a movie park while he was working over there, and that this ride would be a great centerpeice for a movie park at WDW. The Imagineers were delighted to hear this, as they had proposes for a movie theme park as well. Combining The Great Movie Ride and the movie park proposals, Imagineering were just authorized another $400 million.

"Wait, before you leave, let me show you some more models!" the Imagineering cheif must have told Eisner before he left because they got Eisner to approve Wonders of Life, Norway, Pleasure Island, Typhoon Lagoon, and Star Tours.

That one visit must have been the costliest visit any where by a single CEO of any company in history! (Well, I have no idea, but it's up there some where) When Eisner discovered that Imagineers were just full of ideas and concepts and that he had just barely seen all of them, Eisner decided it best not to spend so much time there and to keep his mouth shut.

As I read some where, he actually said "The stockholders are scared [of him going over to Glendale] because we end up with a huge bill because of a few words [of approval] I say [to Imagineering heads]."

Now, Imagine one of us being in his shoes. How could ANY of us say "No" to the creative concepts they dreamed up? I'm sure there would be many we don't like, but with so many great ideas there, we would be like Eisner on his first day there, with one exception: We won't be able to know when to stop approving things! And, unlike Eisner, and very much like Walt Disney himself, I'm sure we would make Glendale one of our favorite places to routinely visit in the company. (Eisner decided if he were to make routine visits there, he would bancrupt the company)

Fortunately for Walt Disney, he had his brother Roy to keep him in check and stop him from going crazy and approving everything Imagineering dreams up. If it wasn't for his brother Roy, Walt would have bancrupted the company simply by not having the discipline not to say "yes" to everything he likes.

I don't believe any of us would have such a disciple and we most certainly would drive the company towards bancrupcy. Just look at all the projects that never got built that we know about, such as Westerm River Expedition and even Time Racers. I haven't heard anyone here say they wouldn't build it. And that's just for the projects we know about! Multiply that by hundreds and that's the reality of the number of proposals waiting for approval. Just approving a handful of them would make the stock go tumbling down.

Even Don Tantum, CEO of Disney during the late 70's and early 80's had this problem. EPCOT was supposed to get built for $400 million, but ended up costing over $1.2 billion because Imagineering kept presenting him with great ideas for things to add to it. Tantum wanted EPCOT to be a success, and he was the first CEO outside the Disney family to build a theme park for the company. With such high expectations set because Walt Disney set the standards so high with the Magic Kingdom, Tantum took no chances on sacrificing anything that would make his EPCOT better. So, he approved most of what Imagineering recommended, adding much to EPCOT's final cost.

EPCOT's cost overrun almost bancrupted the company. When Tantum stepped down, Walt's son-in-law Ron Miller took over. Instead of controlling costs, he approved Horizons, The Living Seas, Morrocco, and the new Fantasyland at DL. With the company almost bancrupt, the Board of Directors fired Miller within a year, setting the stage for Eisner and company to move in. By the way, right before he was fired, he approved three more World Showcase countries and a Tron Arcade, but were never built.

So, you see why it would be dangerous if any of us were to become CEO? Maybe we'd spend all of the company's money's, but, you know what, we'd have fun doing so and Disney parks world-wide would have some pretty incredible rides in the process!!!!!

DisneyChik17

OMG! If I got to pick what went in and what came out I might just faint. First off...that is EVERY kids dream job. But...I would TOTALLY fix up PoTC, IASW, BTM, TGMR, ...ok I'm not sure what else...but those would be some NIVE parks when I get done with them. LOL! But I'm sure that's what everyone will say. So the rest of you guys come play CEO with me!

Brian_B

That was probably the most interesting post I've ever read on these boards...I personally think that Eisner takes a lot of undue criticism because he's the most visible member of the disney empire right now. I'm sure there are at least 50 people out there equally if not more responsible for the idiocy and tradition staving that makes us so mad these days.
-Brian

rainfully

I certainly don't think I could handle it!! My head just might very well cave in!

Remember: "With great power comes great responsibility!"

That was a very interesting post... thank you!

CaptainMichael

I could definitely be a responsible CEO. You need to look at what's best for the company when making high dollar decisions. Being in that position is just like drinking, you need to know your limit. Rides like Splash Mountain and Tower of Terror were great decisions made by Eisner to increase attendance. Hopefully, Expedition: Everest will have a positive impact on Disney's Animal Kingdom.

If it were monetarily feasible, the first projects I would greenlight would be the removal of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and replacing it with Western River Expedition and the addition of a family oriented ride to Disney's Animal Kingdom.

speck76

STR8FAN2005 said:
If it were monetarily feasible, the first projects I would greenlight would be the removal of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and replacing it with Western River Expedition....

WHAT!!!

speck76

I think many people do not understand that what is best for the company, may not always be what is the best for the public.....

CaptainMichael

speck76 said:

I love the whole concept of the Western River Expedition Mountain. If I remember correctly it had an attraction like Big Thunder Mountain and a cowboys and indians themed ride like the Pirates of the Carribean. Sorry if I got mixed up, it has been awhile since I've read about it! I think another attraction like Pirates of the Carribean would be great for the Magic Kingdom. I wish they would have just built both instead of choosing a cheap version of Disneyland's Pirates of the Carribean. If Western River Expedition Mountain could be done by adding on to Big Thunder Mountain, I wouldn't have a problem with that. It would probably be better to do it that way......you know, cut costs :cool:

speck76

STR8FAN2005 said:
I love the whole concept of the Western River Expedition Mountain. If I remember correctly it had an attraction like Big Thunder Mountain and a cowboys and indians themed ride like the Pirates of the Carribean. Sorry if I got mixed up, it has been awhile since I've read about it! I think another attraction like Pirates of the Carribean would be great for the Magic Kingdom. I wish they would have just built both instead of choosing a cheap version of Disneyland's Pirates of the Carribean. If Western River Expedition Mountain could be done by adding on to Big Thunder Mountain, I wouldn't have a problem with that. It would probably be better to do it that way......you know, cut costs :cool:

I think that we are past the day in which a cowboys and indians attraction can be added without offending many people...which is too bad, but understandable.

CaptainMichael

speck76 said:
I think that we are past the day in which a cowboys and indians attraction can be added without offending many people...which is too bad, but understandble.

I wouldn't mind it, I'm politically incorrect, but the majority of the world is the exact opposite. I hear where you are coming from Speck. I just really liked the whole concept of the Western River Expedition Mountain. People need to lighten up and stop playing the race card. A cowboy and indian attraction is meant to be offensive but fun and entertaining.........take you back to the Old West!

SirGoofy

If I could be CEO I would rip out JIIwF and rebuild the original JII. Then I would pump some life back into WoL and LS. That's about all I see wrong with WDW at this time. Epcot is losing what made it special, and I'm sure it wouldn't cost that much.

PeterAlt

Original Poster
STR8FAN2005 said:
I could definitely be a responsible CEO. You need to look at what's best for the company when making high dollar decisions. Being in that position is just like drinking, you need to know your limit. Rides like Splash Mountain and Tower of Terror were great decisions made by Eisner to increase attendance. Hopefully, Expedition: Everest will have a positive impact on Disney's Animal Kingdom.

Actually, the "most responsible" CEO Disney has ever had, besides maybe Roy Disney (Sr.) was Card Walker. He served from 1971 (when Roy died) until the late-mid 70's. He was that cancelled WRE from getting built, and the one who demanded that PotC got built in a hurry on a shoe string budget. One could argue that Space Mountain was also built under him, but development for Space Mountain actually started under Walt himself and adevanced under Roy, so I guess Walker felt obligated not to touch that one since it had Walt Disney's finger prints all over it!

Any way, my point is look where being the "most responsible" got Walker! His so-called responibility for the company ended up causing him to make two very bad decisions. Sacrificing qality will end up biting you back in the long run! Just look at California Adventure or the new Imagination ride!

Roy Disney, by the way, was also very responsible. He kept to his brother's dream (albeit with a delay in getting started). He was responsible to know not the company couldn't handle building both a resort and his vision for a futuristic city at the same time, so he decided to build the resort first and worry about the city later. Unfortunately, after he died, Walker had no interest for Walt's EPCOT, thus killing that dream until Don Tantum became CEO, deciding to build a second theme park instead, calling it EPCOT Center, in memory of Walt's now-dead dream. Deciding that Walt's vision of a futurist city was impossible, Eisner had Celebration built, a futurist city that was not impossible to build (albeit a totally different concept and idea as Walt's EPCOT) in the "spirit" of Walt's original idea.

So you have to play a balancing act. You can't be too responsible because you end up sacrifing quality or building something that could bring in new business.

CaptainMichael

By responsible I meant only spending what you have. If I couldn't build quality attractions with the money I have, I would wait until the money is available.

speck76

STR8FAN2005 said:
By responsible I meant only spending what you have. If I couldn't build quality attractions with the money I have, I would wait until the money is available.

Sometimes what you have is not really what you have....and doing nothing is never an option.

And to a post further above....renovations of existing rides will not convince the masses to come visit.....they will never generate the publicity of a Mission Space type attraction opening up.....I would not be surprised if a great deal of people who have been on all 3 versions of JII do not even know that they were changed.

AndyP

Sometimes the parks need a big spending spree to bring people back (1 ride won't do this!). Sometimes not. I would be a responsible CEO, but an even better Imagineer! If only you knew my ideas for Indiana Jones Stunt show area!

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Interesting Post

Great ideas presented, and yes, the general approach by most of us here would be to push to bancrupt the company.

What is needed is a regulated but ongoing plan for the addition and refinement of attractions. Rather than totally ignoring the parks for a decade or more, take the approach of tech and pharmaceutical companies that annually use over 10% of their profits for research, as research/new products are the lifeblood of the company. Approximately 70% of a company's profits come from products introduced in the last 5 years.

To translate to Disney, set a formal budget for annual new and improved projects. Say you will initiate 1 new project and 1 (major) refurb per park per year or two. So plan on adding one new country to Epcot and refurbishing of WoL beginning in 06. At MGM add a new Indy and refurb Star Tours (make 4 different tour options, maybe). At MK, start your E ticket at 20K and refurb Astro Orbiter or PoTC. AK...well I would like to see a larger planned scheme of enhancement (mystical creatures area), expanding countries of India, Australia, South America, more like Epcot countries...then 86 Chester and Hester's....but I drift into detail and financial ruin.

What I'm saying is follow up on the significant effort currently underway, pre-budget it an make WDW and DL the dynamic, ever growing environment that Walt dreamed of. By budgeting and only allowing Glendale to submit their ONE BEST idea, quality would be focused and money available.

Then again, Disney hasn't approached me with the CEO offer recently....

speck76

AndyP said:
Sometimes the parks need a big spending spree to bring people back (1 ride won't do this!). Sometimes not. I would be a responsible CEO, but an even better Imagineer! If only you knew my ideas for Indiana Jones Stunt show area!

I disagree.....in 1997, the Magic Kingdom had their best attendance EVER (3+ million more admissions than most years) and yet not 1 major e-ticket attraction was added to any of the parks, except a pink birthday cake overlay of Cinderella Castle, and a major marketing push.....

casualrdt

Great post... Cost is a huge factor. New rides are a plus. I guess my only beef with Eisner would be that he could have maintained the parks better over the past few years. Its nice to see it getting done now.

Nicole

Very interesting post! I'm relatively new to the Disney magic (my first visit of three total was in 1997, during the birthday "push") and while I agree that there are things that need improving, I don't know that things are anywhere close to the point where I wouldn't go back. Much as we would love some cool new attractions (which are being developed) I wonder how many WDW visitors really come more than two or three times in their life??

I think it's interesting that when you call Disney one of the questions they ask when deciding where to route your call is "have you visited WDW more than four times, with one visit after 1998?" I wonder what the percentage of callers is that say yes to that one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom