Idol Winner on Feb 7

imamouse

Congratulations and thanks for sharing your wife's success story and the pics. I was wondering about her wardrobe - she's wearing high heels and appears to have changed her slacks for the finale performance. What's up with that?

Edit: I just looked at the pics full size and noticed the bag she brought along. Smart lady to bring fashionable shoes and a change of clothes for the finale.

hawkwood

Original Poster
At 12:50 she went to the backstage door. Here she left us to go to hair, makeup, and voice coaching. Each contestant does get time with an actual voice coach, then move on to makeup and hair. Makeup is mostly to remove any shine (must be showbiz thing..), and I guess they need to have all long hair up or out of the way, as they put a tracking device on your shoulder so the lights can follow you on stage. (Pretty cool!)

Next they went to rehearsal, where they are told what will happen, where to go on-stage, etc. They also get to run through their song on stage. At this point the technicians are adjusting sound settings, which are then stored in computer for each contestant.

As VIP guests of contestants, we needed to get there at 1:30 so they could seat us. We were seated about 5 rows back on the far left.

They started general seating around 1:50. Prior to being seated, there are pre-show hosts that start getting the crowd charged up. They continue this once people are seated. They do an excellent job of pumping up the energy level in the audience.

The show starts pretty much like the TV show complete with theme music, Ryan Seacrest (recorded video, obviously, but still cool), and the whole light show.

There are three contestants in the afternoon shows. The contestants each get interviewed briefly, then perform, then get critiqued by the the judges. The judges are patterned after Randy, Paula, and Simon, though the Simon character is definitely toned down to Disney friendly. (I did learn later that the judges were selected for their real-life experience in the entertainment industry. I think some came from Pleasure Island venues, but I'm not sure on that.)

After all the contestants have finished, it's time for the voting. Each seat has a number keypad on it. You get a quick video recap of each performance, then you have 10 seconds to select a number and lock in your vote. Once voting closes they bring everyone out on stage.

They really play the tension out on announcing the winner. (Did I mention Sandy won? HEE!)

After the show she met us just outside in front of the attraction, and several people came up and congratulated her, and said that they voted for her. Very fun.

She got another paper detailing when and where she needed to be for the finale show at 7.

(Continued)

hawkwood

Original Poster
Pretty much the same process for the 7pm show. She showed up about an hour early for makeup and hair. Us VIPs showed up a half hour early, and got seated in the same area to the left of the stage.

I will tell you that there is a LOT more electricity in the air for the finale. Where the early show we saw there was about 400-500 in the audience, this final show the theater was almost to capacity. I'd guess there was about 900 or so in the audience, and they were pumped up!

The format was pretty much the same as the earlier shows. Each person performed, then the audience voted at the end. This time there were 6 contestants, one winner from each of the earlier shows. (Sandy was number 4.)

I do have to mention that after Sandy was finished, the audience gave her a standing ovation, which I have to admit had me a little teary eyed. (I've already relinquished my man card.) They actually brought the house lights up so she could see. The MC just smiled and told her to step forward and take another bow.

Well, after the audience voted, they once again stretched out the tension on the winner, slowly eliminating contestants just like on the real show, until they were down to two, Sandy and one other gal (who was also an incredible singer; I was really sweating it right up to the end). He announced Sandy as the winner, and the music goes off, the confetti flies, and the audience goes crazy.

It's an awesome experience, both for the contestants and for the audience. If you (or a friend or family member) decide to audition, be prepared to possibly having it take up most of your day. While there is some free time between before shows, you tend to not want to wander too far. It is totally worth it though!

hawkwood

Original Poster
She did bring different shoes and slacks with her for performing, though she didn't change into the slacks until the finale performance. She had the jeans and sneakers for comfort during the day (something about not wanting to wear heals walking around Disney...)

What I also found amazing was how much the audience got into the whole event. After she won the finale and came out of the building, people kept coming up to her and asking for her autograph, and wanting their picture taken with her. It was so cool, and something that my wife will never forget. I wish I could thank those people, as it made my wife feel like a million bucks!

SWatsi

Congrats on the win. Hope she was very proud of herself too.

Not my kind of attraction, but one that I am somewhat happy to see. So far so good by all accounts.

ttalovebug

Aww, that's really great! Good for her.

I didn't really like the premise of this attraction, but I'm starting to see it's potential. Singing onstage is a life-long dream for a lot of people, and so few get to do it. It's nice that this attraction is letting people achieve their dreams.

Since1976

Great pictures!

Wow! If the production values are anything like the now-defunct Millionaire Play It!, I'm sure this will be a show worth experiencing.

New2WDW

Thanks for sharing the inside story and the great pictures! Can't wait to see the show in person. My daughter would love to try it but she is only going to be 12 when we are down this Fall.

hawkwood

Original Poster
I'm fairly sure that they said the minimum age is 14, and anyone under 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian at ALL times backstage.

New2WDW

I'm fairly sure that they said the minimum age is 14, and anyone under 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian at ALL times backstage.

That is what I have read also! I think my daughter would still love to see the show and if it is still around in a couple of years she can try it!

hawkwood

Original Poster
I thought no cameras were allowed? :veryconfu Maybe that was just CM previews though.

Photographs are allowed, both in the audition areas and the theater, as long as you don't use a flash. They stressed the no flash requirement; something about messing up the camera guys during the show. Video and audio are NOT allowed due to song copyright restrictions.

When I went to the passholder preview (december?), they did not allow photos, because the attraction had not opened yet.

blestmom

We were at the show...all four of us voted for your wife. She was amazing. I loved the standing ovation. Congratulations to her for a terrific performance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom