Ice/Norway 2015 cruise Lets discuss our trip plans

stalkingmickey

Original Poster
Just realized the ice land/norway cruise will be sailing between ports in norway on the evening of July 4th and no fireworks on the 4th is a bummer!!!

MaryJaneP

It is not the same as fireworks, and it may be too expensive for DCL, but red/white/blue glow-sticks/necklaces/bracelets would maybe be an attractive alternative. Might make some nice photos.

ChuckElias

Just realized the ice land/norway cruise will be sailing between ports in norway on the evening of July 4th and no fireworks on the 4th is a bummer!!!
It is not the same as fireworks, and it may be too expensive for DCL, but red/white/blue glow-sticks/necklaces/bracelets would maybe be an attractive alternative. Might make some nice photos.
1) I was on the Wonder in Alaska for Fourth of July in 2011. No fireworks, but they did a big dance party with characters in star-spangled costumes. Kind of fun.

2) There will obviously be a very large non-American contingent on these cruises, since they depart from Europe. Not sure those folks would care so much if our Independence Day is celebrated. Not saying that a reason for not doing it; just that it's not really a big deal to a very large segment of passengers on that sailing.

MaryJaneP

True True, Chuck. Some passengers may not be enthusiastic about Independence Day (although it is hard, given current events, to understand why). However, many flags have red, white, and blue as their colors. Anyone not wanting to have a glow-stick, like those who do not participate in pirates night or choose not to wear any costume, could choose not to participate or attend. Kinda an idea for an opt-in alternative for fireworks. We're interested to hear if anything takes the place of a fireworks display. The dance party, to us, is kinda a repeat of the sail-away party, but is makes some sense if it is pirates night anyway.

stalkingmickey

Original Poster
Well nothing I can really do about it but this gal is a little bummed :(. I don't usually get out to see the New Year Eve ones in Boston because it is COLD :cyclops: but I love love our 4th of July ones over the Charles River. Perhaps I will be able to stream them to get my fix :cautious:.

Does it really not get dark until after 10pm or just not dark enough? I know they have longer day light hours just wasn't sure when exactly that time is yet. I have not gotten that far in my cruise trip research :eek:

ChuckElias

I found this website, which I think is the "official" site of the Reykjavik tourism board. There are some really interesting museums listed.

http://visitreykjavik.is/what-to-do

(Although I think I'll stay away from the Phallological Museum. . . http://visitreykjavik.is/icelandic-phallological-museum )

Seems like a lot of the art museums and galleries focus on contemporary art, which is not my fave. But since I'll likely never get back, I may do one of them. And I'll probably have to visit one of the geothermal locations. Maybe a horse ride, or bike tour. . .

How many days do we have in town???

stalkingmickey

Original Poster
I found this website, which I think is the "official" site of the Reykjavik tourism board. There are some really interesting museums listed.

http://visitreykjavik.is/what-to-do

(Although I think I'll stay away from the Phallological Museum. . . http://visitreykjavik.is/icelandic-phallological-museum )

Seems like a lot of the art museums and galleries focus on contemporary art, which is not my fave. But since I'll likely never get back, I may do one of them. And I'll probably have to visit one of the geothermal locations. Maybe a horse ride, or bike tour. . .

How many days do we have in town???

It shows us pulling in mid day not sure how late the boat stays open for returning passengers on an overnight port?

I would love to see one of the the geo-thermal places. I was also hoping for some type for snow mobile excursion I know there are tours but have not looked into it completely.

Does anyone have an idea when they will have port excursions on the website I am curious to see what disney will offer.

stalkingmickey

Original Poster
so I was checking out the link @ChuckElias provided on visiting Reykjavik. I think a half day at the blue lagoon looks very relaxing!

Although I am sure DH will want to veto it. He wants to see some natural things like the waterfalls and icebergs. At least he is participating in the planning of this trip. I usually go it alone with the planning of 99% of out vacations

stalkingmickey

Original Poster
Just got the email on the change to one of our ports for the 11 night Norway/Iceland cruise. We can add Scotland to our stop after Iceland instead of the Faroe Islands. I for one am excited about this change!!!

ChuckElias

You just beat me! I came here to post the change. :)

I'm torn, to be honest. I think the Faroe Islands would've been very cool, since there's no other time that I would ever visit there. But I think Scotland will be more generally appealing.

Bolna

My parents one had a vacation on the Faroe Islands. Nothing more boring than their trip pictures! I think that is a good change - depending on where in Scotland you will stop. Not everywhere in Scotland can be beautiful! ;)

PensFan

I wonder if this change is due to the controversial annual whale slaughters in the Faroe Islands. I was actually pretty surprised that Disney was stopping there because of that. Opinions differ widely on the subject, but I would imagine Disney would face some criticism for having that port on their itinerary. Just a thought!

I'm actually quite excited about Scotland. Just a quick google search on Kirkwall looks intriguing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom