I won YOAMD prizes in the mail!!

Rob562

I've been addressing my entries to: Disney Dream Giveaway (that's the name of the contest).

I, too, have been addressing it to "Disney Dreams Giveaway". That's the name given in the address for U.K. residents to mail their entries in, so I carried it over to my entries. :)

Doing by mail has got to be expensive though right? All the postage?

Well, that's one reason to use postcards. It's cheaper. :) U.S. postcard rate is only 24-cents. If you buy the pre-stamped cards from the Post Office (just about your best bet unless you want to bother with buying large sheets of card and cutting them yourself) they only cost 2-cents more per card. So that's 26-cents per postal day, or about $6.76 for an average month of 26 mail days. (The equivalent first-class envelope rate would be $10.14 a month).

I pick up a few packets of the cards from the vending machine at the post office every few weeks. I'm sure they stock them at the counter, or you can order through the USPS website. (Side note, if you're looking for them on the USPS website, they're under the "stationery" section, the Pikes Peak stamped postcards, $2.60 for 10.)

-Rob

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Sorry, I misunderstood. I do put Disney Dreams Giveaway at the top of the address. I don't know why I thought you meant a "Dear so and so" kind of thing!

I too use the prestamped post cards from the post office. Don't buy the Disney ones by the way they're too big and cost more! For my family of four I'm spending about $25 a month. I won 4 prizes this month so that more than pays for it!!:)

Dizkneenut

Written?

For all of you who are entering by mail on postcards, are you HANDWRITTING or doing adhesive labels? I have terrible handwritting, but I can type like a bandit!:lol:

Dizkneenut

or does it?

I have read the rules and it says "written" not handwritten. The only place I can find handwritten in where you send in for a copy of the official rules and a list of winners. Does anyone know where to go for an official answer?:veryconfu

Rob562

For all of you who are entering by mail on postcards, are you HANDWRITTING or doing adhesive labels? I have terrible handwritting, but I can type like a bandit!:lol:

I, too, am curious as to whether people are handwriting or not. All along I've been handwriting my own info on the card. I also started out by handwriting the contest's mailing address, but just recently I decided to chance switching to labels for the mailing address only (still hand-writing my own). Did anyone win by doing this?

(I won a set of the ears from my all-handwritten entries, so perhaps I shouldn't mess with what works.) ;-)
-Rob

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Okay, here's where I got my info from - another board, someone wrote out all the tips, worked out all the odds, etc. Very interesting. If you want the link pm me and I'll send it to you. He interprets written to mean handwritten. Here's what he said.

"On the back of the card, fill in the following IN HANDWRITING (Block Printing is the best), this is a common rule in contests, and the Disney Dreams rules say "writing", do NOT use a printed label. (of course, use your full name, complete mailing address including postal code, daytime phone number and date of birth)."

He had been printing labels for the front of the postcard with the Disney Dreams address since those do not say written.

There are definitely a few stories of people winning with the wrong size cards, and probably with printed labels, but again, if Disney decides to start following their rules to the letter - I'm not taking any chances!!:)

sittle

Nope

I have read the rules and it says "written" not handwritten. The only place I can find handwritten in where you send in for a copy of the official rules and a list of winners. Does anyone know where to go for an official answer?:veryconfu

Yeah, I am reading the rules via the canadian site and it doesn't say anything about handwritten!! In fact here!!

*NO PURCHASE NECESSARY to enter or win. A purchase will not increase your chances of winning. Open only to legal residents of 50 U.S., D.C., Puerto Rico, Canada, Mexico & UK. Void elsewhere and where prohibited. Giveaway runs October 1, 2006 - December 31, 2007 (mail in entries postmarked starting September 18, 2006 & received by January 14, 2008 on 3.5 x 5 postcard with complete name, address, daytime phone#, birth date and proper postage sent to PO Box 8629, Elmhurst, IL 60126 USA). etc.. etc...

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Here's the section that says writing from the official rules website:

Also, starting on September 18, 2006, eligible participants can enter without being present in a Disney Property by writing their full name, complete mailing address (including postal code), daytime telephone number (including area code), and date of birth on a 3.5"x5" postcard and sending it with proper postage affixed to: (i) if a legal resident of the United States, District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Canada or Mexico: P.O. Box 8629, Elmhurst, IL 60126; or (ii) if a legal resident of the United Kingdom: Disney Dream Giveaway, 483 Green Lanes, London N13 4BS. Participants may enter once per day during the Giveaway Period. All mail-in entries must be mailed separately, postmarked by December 31, 2007 and received by January 14, 2008 or they will be void.

I did the bolding there!:D

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
So - to sum up - it does not say anything about handwriting the "Mail to" portion, and I think that would be fine to print labels.

The official rules do say "write" your personal info. This is apparently common in contests with mail in entries. Will Disney disqualify you if you do not handwrite them? I have no idea. But I've gone to a lot of work for these postcards and I'm not taking any risks. I know that handwriting will certainly not disqualify you!

I'm up to 3 mouse ears and 2 pin lanyards now!:D

sittle

Caveat?

Here's the section that says writing from the official rules website:

Also, starting on September 18, 2006, eligible participants can enter without being present in a Disney Property by writing their full name, complete mailing address (including postal code), daytime telephone number (including area code), and date of birth on a 3.5"x5" postcard and sending it with proper postage affixed to: (i) if a legal resident of the United States, District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Canada or Mexico: P.O. Box 8629, Elmhurst, IL 60126; or (ii) if a legal resident of the United Kingdom: Disney Dream Giveaway, 483 Green Lanes, London N13 4BS. Participants may enter once per day during the Giveaway Period. All mail-in entries must be mailed separately, postmarked by December 31, 2007 and received by January 14, 2008 or they will be void.

I did the bolding there!:D

I guess where I pulled my info from was the "No Purchase" instructions. I think if they really were adamant about handwriting certain information, it would appear that way, on both the Official Rule and the "No Purchase" instructions.

I guess it's up to you. I know personally I typed my front and back out, of course it's layed out in beautiful fonts. Good luck everyone!

disney1077

I have been handwriting all my postcards. I actually won two year of a million dream pins. I was so excited. :sohappy: I could not believe I actually won something!:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

MPitzen

Does anyone know where the best place is to get cheap post cards to send in everyday? I have looked for them at a few places and had no luck.
Thanks!

bandtrumpet

^ I think that i read in an earlier post that you can get pre-payed ones at the post office

can you just send in 3x5 index cards or do they need to be bigger?

GoofyMom2

Thank you for posting info! I didn't know about the mail-ins until this thread, either. :hammer:

I, too, bought some of the postage paid postcards from the PO...at 26 cents a piece I can't go wrong.

Hope I win something!! :D

Rob562

Thank you for posting info! I didn't know about the mail-ins until this thread, either. :hammer:

I, too, bought some of the postage paid postcards from the PO...at 26 cents a piece I can't go wrong.

Hope I win something!! :D

Yeah, the mark-up on the pre-stamped cards from the Post Office is only 2 cents per card. I looked everywhere, and couldn't find anything that beat that. A pack of index cards *might* work, but it might be too flimsy for the US Mail. Besides, a pack of 100 probably won't be less than $1, which is 1 cent per card, so......

For those whose post office doesn't carry the pre-stamped cards, or can't get to a Post Office, you can order them through the USPS website, www.usps.gov They're listed under "Stationery" in the shopping section.

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom