Trip Report I Will Survive.....Spring Break (with a hint of May) *COMPLETED*

At first I was afraid, I was petrified
Kept thinking I could never live among the Spring Break crowds
But then I spent so many nights thinking how I could be wrong
And I grew strong
And I knew I could get along....

Well that’s what I’m hoping for anyway. I’m not a newbie when it comes to navigating Spring Break at WDW. I’ve got a couple decades of experience under my belt. “Spring Break” isn’t a single week of cray cray crowds (like the week between Christmas and New Years) but is spread over March and April. Unfortunately one (or more) of those weeks can end up being cray cray....and these days, there is no way to predict which one.

Please don’t let it be this week.

But we are prepared. ADRs at 180 days. FPs at 60 days. Clothing for rain or shine. (Praying for shine ~ we’ve had enough rain over the last 4 months to set an ark afloat.) And attitudes willing to “go with the flow.” 🐢

My goal is to keep the updates live. Should I fail? There’s always Part “Tu”.

Who: Tuvalu, Woody and Em (the teacher whose schedule dictates when we go)
When: Sunday, March 31 - Sunday, April 7, 2019
Where: Port Orleans French Quarter
Why: Let’s hope we don’t ask ourselves this!
How: We’ve done the plane, can’t take the train....so it must be the automobile!

Will we be smiling at the end of the week? Stay tuned.

And if you don’t hang around for the smiles, you may want to peek in and see if there are any WDWMagic meet ups. I know of at least three forum friends I hope to encounter.

Now it’s off to bed! The alarm is set for zero-dark-thirty.

epcotisbest

Last edited:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Need to back the truck up for a moment....

After our very warm ride on LWTL (would a little more a/c kill them?) we exited the pavilion and headed towards World Showcase. The park, while busy, felt manageable for a late Sunday afternoon. The path we chose put us right in front of The Citrus Blossom booth ~ where, lo and behold, the elusive Orange Bird slushy cup was in stock! I had read that the Orange Bird cup was harder to snag than the popular rose gold Mickey ears from a couple years ago.

Now I have loved Orange Bird many, many, years before he became “a thing.” I drank juice from the original Orange Bird plastic orange in the 70s. Just looking at Orange Bird makes me smile. If anyone has a right to a slushy cup it’s me!

I bought two, under the pretext that one will be for Tuvalette and the other for Tuvaleen. But they will live in my house. 😉

As for the drink inside? After one taste by each of us, Em and I poured the contents of both cups into a nearby trash can. The concoction was not “slushy”....in fact it was warm-ish and had the consistency of melted ice cream. And it was too sweet.

(Later we met a CM who noticed our cups and asked how we liked the drink. We said we didn’t. He said that is the opinion of 90 percent of the guests he has surveyed.)

After a quick stop at the Norway restrooms to rinse out our cups, we rode Frozen Ever After. Our ride photo has not appeared in MDE but I do have photographic evidence of the spot where we were stuck for a little while. (Not 22 minutes....but we discussed how an evac from FEA would be cool!)

Rista1313

Need to back the truck up for a moment....

After our very warm ride on LWTL (would a little more a/c kill them?) we exited the pavilion and headed towards World Showcase. The park, while busy, felt manageable for a late Sunday afternoon. The path we chose put us right in front of The Citrus Blossom booth ~ where, lo and behold, the elusive Orange Bird slushy cup was in stock! I had read that the Orange Bird cup was harder to snag than the popular rose gold Mickey ears from a couple years ago.

Now I have loved Orange Bird many, many, years before he became “a thing.” I drank juice from the original Orange Bird plastic orange in the 70s. Just looking at Orange Bird makes me smile. If anyone has a right to a slushy cup it’s me!

I bought two, under the pretext that one will be for Tuvalette and the other for Tuvaleen. But they will live in my house. 😉

View attachment 360542

As for the drink inside? After one taste by each of us, Em and I poured the contents of both cups into a nearby trash can. The concoction was not “slushy”....in fact it was warm-ish and had the consistency of melted ice cream. And it was too sweet.

(Later we met a CM who noticed our cups and asked how we liked the drink. We said we didn’t. He said that is the opinion of 90 percent of the guests he has surveyed.)

After a quick stop at the Norway restrooms to rinse out our cups, we rode Frozen Ever After. Our ride photo has not appeared in MDE but I do have photographic evidence of the spot where we were stuck for a little while. (Not 22 minutes....but we discussed how an evac from FEA would be cool!)

View attachment 360543

That is a bummer to here the drink wasn't good, but the container is too cute for it to matter I suppose. I also had juice out of those plastic oranges, and I always have to explain to people that the Orange Bird is not a "new" thing.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Since this trip is primarily Em-centric (it is her spring break after all) she picked our ADRs.

Tonight’s dinner was here.

Although the menu did not have the item she wanted (and had a lesser version of the item I wanted) we were satisfied with our meals.

Afterwards the birds went for a boat ride.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Online check-in actually worked today. I received our “room ready” text about a half hour prior to arriving at POFQ so we went straight to our room.

We are pleased to have a corner location. The extra set of windows provides more natural light.

A larger TV and an armoire have been added since our last visit in April 2018.

The beds are elevated with storage for luggage underneath.

And looky looky.....a fan!!

But the most unusual feature of our room is the bathroom. To quote our President, “IT’S YUGE!”

Rainfall shower head and soap dispensers.

We have frequented POFQ enough to know that this is not a typical room.
I had booked Garden View, which was the room type listed on my reservation.
But now in MDE the room type is: Gd FISpclAcc OptHr 2Q.

If you like what you see, you’ll need to request Gd FISpclAcc OptHr 2Q for your next visit....then be sure to let us know how that works out for you!

Shane7694

Online check-in actually worked today. I received our “room ready” text about a half hour prior to arriving at POFQ so we went straight to our room.

We are pleased to have a corner location. The extra set of windows provides more natural light.

View attachment 360592

View attachment 360593

A larger TV and an armoire have been added since our last visit in April 2018.

View attachment 360594

The beds are elevated with storage for luggage underneath.

View attachment 360595

View attachment 360596

And looky looky.....a fan!!

View attachment 360601

But the most unusual feature of our room is the bathroom. To quote our President, “IT’S YUGE!”

View attachment 360597

View attachment 360598

Rainfall shower head and soap dispensers.

View attachment 360599

View attachment 360600

We have frequented POFQ enough to know that this is not a typical room.
I had booked Garden View, which was the room type listed on my reservation.
But now in MDE the room type is: Gd FISpclAcc OptHr 2Q.

If you like what you see, you’ll need to request Gd FISpclAcc OptHr 2Q for your next visit....then be sure to let us know how that works out for you!

Are they still remodeling rooms?

misslynds

Kinda new here, but I am loving your live action TR! I hope spring break treats you guys well. :)

I have a seemingly silly question.. My son and I are booked for POFQ in July (so excited!) but all the pictures I see of the beds look like they don't have a blanket, just sheets. If that top part is actually a blanket, is it warm enough when the AC is cranking?

Just wondering if I should pack one of my blankets! I like the room cool, but my body cozy.

susan lees

Kinda new here, but I am loving your live action TR! I hope spring break treats you guys well. :)

I have a seemingly silly question.. My son and I are booked for POFQ in July (so excited!) but all the pictures I see of the beds look like they don't have a blanket, just sheets. If that top part is actually a blanket, is it warm enough when the AC is cranking?

Just wondering if I should pack one of my blankets! I like the room cool, but my body cozy.
There is a blanket between two sheets and we have always been comfortable with this. I actually prefer to have the a/c a bit lower and the fan on instead while sleeping.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Oh you’re off again! And to the POFQ 😍!
Have fun!!
I'm in:) Watching this as I stare out the window at 2 feet of snow still on the ground......sigh.........….Can't wait to see some pictures of green grass and beautiful flowers. We also stay at POFQ and love it.
I will take some pics of the lovely resort grounds for you ladies. 🌴🌼

Following along and longing for some WDW
Hope VR of WDW will do!

I'm looking forward to this report. We did spring break in 2013 and I wasn't too traumatised by it!! 😀
I’ll be thinking of you during our POFQ stay!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
sonny's is one the best bbq places here..i like a side of horseradish sauce for fries and sammich🆒
I love Sonny's, especially the sliced pork and the sweet sauce. They usually have good fries and slaw too. I really like it when they have AYCE ribs or chicken, or both.
Don't care for the cornbread though, it is more like cake.
Woody and I discovered Sonny’s.....well not quite as long ago as it is celebrating....during our pre-kids years in South Florida. Then we introduced our kids during our family vacations to WDW. Em and I love the sweet sauce (Woody’s an “original” guy) with the sliced pork. We really enjoyed our lunch. :hungry:

I’m happy to wait until the crowds die down.
Umm....aren’t you going in June? 😉:joyfull:

Thank you so much i have not listened to this in at least 10 years and i know what i am playing the moment i pick up my parents in august.
Your comment made me smile! Holiday Road always starts our vacations on the right foot.

Following along, I love your trip reports! Have fun!🐱
So nice of you to follow!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Living vicariously through you and following along!
Welcome!

love the photo bomber in pink!
THANK YOU for pointing him out! I scrolled back to look at the picture and laughed out loud!
(I’m sure @amjt660 appreciates your correct usuage of photo bomber. 😉)

Count me in for the report! Are you guys from the south?
Georgia

A day late, but I am IN! POFQ rooms look a lot different than my last stay there in 2007!
They sure do!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom