Trip Report I Vowed Never Again ~ Yet Here We Are! *COMPLETED*

Wait, what?

WDW-obsessed Tuvalu actually vowed never again ?!?!

Must. Read. More.

Clickbait! :joyfull:

But there is truth in my statement. I did vow not to visit the world whenever our spring break...always the first week in April....aligns with Easter. The first week of April typically brings heavy crowds since most southern school systems are out. I can handle heavy. But add in additional volume from schools that coordinate their break with Easter and “heavy” becomes INSANE. (Not quite the insanity of Christmas week....I am smart enough to avoid that, thanks to a one-day trip in 1994.)

But I’ve BEEN THERE ~
In 2009 (during the recession) when it took 40 minutes just to get through the Epcot parking booth....and the line for the boat ride in Mexico was out the front door of the pavilion....and Magic Kingdom was closed due to capacity.

In 2010 when the mid-morning standby wait for Test Track was 240 minutes (that’s 4 hours, people!) and the wait time for Nemo (Nemo!) was 150 minutes.

In 2015 when we watched the 6:45 am MK Welcome show in the dark because we wanted to ride a few attractions before the hordes descended.

Long lines to use the restrooms (always filthy because attendants couldn’t keep up); no available tables in quick-service locations, forcing guests to sit on the ground outside the restaurants; and a general atmosphere of cranky/angry guests who didn’t like dealing with the multitude any more than I did.

So I declared, DONE THAT!

Or so I thought.....

My darling daughter Em lives for spring break. As a student she vacationed (Disney or beach) every year but one ~ and there was nearly a mutiny! Now that she’s a teacher, going away for spring break has reached an even higher level of importance. 😉 With this year’s Easter/spring break overlap, we began researching other warm-weather destinations.

Guess what we discovered. Transportation, resort and dining costs were cheaper if we went to WDW! And having APs means our entertainment would be free. Em’s teacher budget would not be strained. The practical side of me could not argue....and the mom side of me could not disappoint my daughter.

We leave on Monday. We’re prepared. And we’re gonna be LIVE!

BB429FCD-F668-4041-835B-D5BAFEDFD831.jpeg

A few Magic meet-ups are in the works. Hope to keep them a surprise (as long as @Zipitidoda doesn’t spill the beans! :cautious:)

Despite declining MagicBands for our upcoming stay, these arrived in yesterday’s mail ~

B65C6FED-62FE-4F60-AC49-54D2F3BA526E.jpeg

Yeah, like we’re gonna wear the UGLY gray ones.....🙄

See Ya Real Soon!

Tuvalu

Original Poster
“Mom, I don’t feel like waiting 25 minutes to ride TTA so let’s go do it now.”

Request granted.
19922DB1-2215-44E9-AF3E-AC4229A61E34.jpeg

Though you can hardly see it, I took this picture for the train. It was the closest we’d get to the MPB this trip. ☹️
02C9505B-E948-4E8C-9A30-DFE750AD8D3D.jpeg

When did Stitch’s Great Escape become a meet and greet?
C5F6BEB6-9898-45C6-AC04-528792B4B8E1.jpeg

(We did not stop. Not Stitch fans. At all.)

Tony the Tigger

I insisted we go to Pooh as our first attraction figuring the line would still be short (it was). As much as I enjoy Pooh, I had an ulterior motive. When we’d ridden Pooh on Tuesday one of my favorite effects was broken ~ the one where Pooh is falling asleep and his dream sequence begins. There was a bright light behind Pooh (where it is normally dark) and we witnessed how the effect is achieved. I thought if the effect was still broken I could get a picture (because inquiring minds would want to know!)

Alas.....
View attachment 281058
....floating Pooh effect working as it should.

Em got to pick the next ride. It was one we hadn’t visited yet.
View attachment 281065
The entire queue smelled like stinky feet. :hungover: Not sure what was going on with that!

We had not had breakfast yet and it was time to satisfy our empty stomachs. Em was hankering for a cinnamon roll from Gaston’s.

View attachment 281059
(Crowds were still light at this point!)

Em is a coffee drinker. I am not. I usually just have water when we go to Gaston’s but I was really in the mood for hot chocolate. I remembered the AMAZING hot chocolate I had in December during MVMCP and although that was from Pinocchio’s Village Haus, I figured hot chocolate should be the same at all locations, right?

Not so.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you the World’s Worst Cup Of Hot Chocolate ~
View attachment 281060
Light brown scalding-hot water with foam. Not even a hint of chocolate flavor. I burned my tongue and the roof of my mouth with the first awful sip. Like the Ham and Gouda pretzel from last night, this cup of mystery liquid went right into the trash.

All was not lost though.....Gaston’s chair was back in its rightful location.
View attachment 281061

I don’t drink coffee, either. But I do enjoy a nice hot chocolate. I’ve had some very good ones at Disney, sorry yours was too light and too hot!

“Mom, I don’t feel like waiting 25 minutes to ride TTA so let’s go do it now.”

Request granted.
View attachment 281073

Though you can hardly see it, I took this picture for the train. It was the closest we’d get to the MPB this trip. ☹️
View attachment 281074

When did Stitch’s Great Escape become a meet and greet?
View attachment 281075
(We did not stop. Not Stitch fans. At all.)

He always eats the page.

TheMouseFan

Wow! Finally caught up! Sorry to blow up your alerts!! Real life got in the way of my report reading (darn kids and all their activities)!! Love, love, love the pic of you two on the bench in Epcot. So jealous you were there for Flower and Garden! I really, really want to try that violet lemonade! Maybe someday!! Can't wait to read more, I'll try not to get so far behind again!

Tuvalu

Original Poster
Wow! Finally caught up! Sorry to blow up your alerts!! Real life got in the way of my report reading (darn kids and all their activities)!! Love, love, love the pic of you two on the bench in Epcot. So jealous you were there for Flower and Garden! I really, really want to try that violet lemonade! Maybe someday!! Can't wait to read more, I'll try not to get so far behind again!
No apology necessary! Enjoy having you along as always. :happy:

susan lees

I insisted we go to Pooh as our first attraction figuring the line would still be short (it was). As much as I enjoy Pooh, I had an ulterior motive. When we’d ridden Pooh on Tuesday one of my favorite effects was broken ~ the one where Pooh is falling asleep and his dream sequence begins. There was a bright light behind Pooh (where it is normally dark) and we witnessed how the effect is achieved. I thought if the effect was still broken I could get a picture (because inquiring minds would want to know!)

Alas.....
View attachment 281058

View attachment 281065
The entire queue smelled like stinky feet. :hungover: Not sure what was going on with that!

We had not had breakfast yet and it was time to satisfy our empty stomachs. Em was hankering for a cinnamon roll from Gaston’s.

View attachment 281059

Em is a coffee drinker. I am not. I usually just have water when we go to Gaston’s but I was really in the mood for hot chocolate. I remembered the AMAZING hot chocolate I had in December during MVMCP and although that was from Pinocchio’s Village Haus, I figured hot chocolate should be the same at all locations, right?

Not so.

View attachment 281060
Light brown scalding-hot water with foam. Not even a hint of chocolate flavor. I burned my tongue and the roof of my mouth with the first awful sip. Like the Ham and Gouda pretzel from last night, this cup of mystery liquid went right into the trash.

View attachment 281061
I like a hot chocolate in the morning and sometimes it would be a bit weak so I would try another machine and it would be lovely. Maybe the person making the mix skimping on the cocoa:confused:

Tuvalu

Original Poster
I don’t drink coffee, either. But I do enjoy a nice hot chocolate. I’ve had some very good ones at Disney, sorry yours was too light and too hot!
I like a hot chocolate in the morning and sometimes it would be a bit weak so I would try another machine and it would be lovely. Maybe the person making the mix skimping on the cocoa:confused:
Yuk! I had that happen somewhere recently too but I can't remember where! Brought it to the attention of the server and they replaced it explaining that it meant the machine had run out of hot-chocolate powder.......
The hot water/cocoa ratio was definitely off! There were only two CMs working at Gaston's and there was a HUGE line (otherwise I would have requested a replacement.) It was easier to cut my losses.

But I will probably think twice before ordering hot chocolate again. :bored:

Fankle

It was easier to cut my losses.

Yup! I completely get that. Sometimes it's just not worth the hassle. The worst/funniest thing is when you've had a sub-par meal and, for whatever reason, you just can't be bothered making a fuss, figuring you'll chalk it up to experience and simply won't return. Then the waiter goes and asks "And how was your meal?....." and you groan internally, thinking to yourself "If only you hadn't asked.... but now that you have, I'm not going to lie...."

Tuvalu

Original Poster
Friday, con’t

Two funny things happened upon our entering the Haunted Mansion. First, a lady beside us whispered, “It even smells like a Haunted Mansion.”

What I want to know is......just how many Haunted Mansions has this woman been inside that she recognizes “the smell”?

The second incident happened in the stretching room. Just as the Ghost Host said “To find a way out!” and the room went dark, the CM loudly instructed: “Look up!”

Did he think no one would notice the corpse hanging from the ceiling? 🤔

Ballroom fun
5203658B-0951-4B68-9E3A-730EA242C0C8.jpeg

Tuvalu

Original Poster
It was necessary to crisscross the park again for our next two attractions. We were certainly upping the Fitbit count today!

Though it is one of a favorites, we avoid Splash Mountain during the cooler months because we don’t like to walk around wet and cold. Today’s greatest risk would only be wet. Time to head for the Briar Patch.

2C1FCEAF-8CC2-4542-B8CE-E175C2C19C64.jpeg

As soon as we were assigned Row 4, we breathed a sigh of relief knowing that any splashing would have minimal impact.

During the ride Em kept instructing me on how I should pose for the picture....and I kept getting it wrong....and she kept laughing at me....which made me laugh....

.....and this was the result. The fact that I am pointing at the bird is purely coincidental, as neither Em nor I knew of this “magic shot.”
0AB808C3-CFCD-405C-A38F-92F50EC18EB5.jpeg

Of course after seeing the picture we laughed even harder!

Tuvalu

Original Poster
Forgot to mention two t-shirts we saw on other guests:

DISNEY
Because Adulting Can Be Really Hard

I’m Here For the Mountains:
Space, Splash and Big Thunder

Speaking of Big Thunder, this would be Ride #2 for @Longers.
8D44B842-711A-44FF-9909-3321E0BC176A.jpeg

In the car directly behind us was a teenage girl and her grandmother. It was clear when we boarded that the teen had never ridden BTMRR and absolutely FEARS rollercoasters.

“Grandma, I’m gonna fall out!”
“No dear, the lap bar will protect you.”
No it won’t! I can fall out the side!”
“Put your arm through mine. I’ll hold you in.”

The teen wasn’t buying it. She continued to protest as the train started to move. Then her pleas grew more desperate.....and LOUDER.

“I’m afraid!”
“There should be seatbelts in this ride!”
“I want this to be done!”
“Grandma, I am so scared right now!!”
“WE’RE GOING TO DIE!!”

Grandma is chuckling at this point while trying to reassure her. She mentioned that she’s ridden this ride for years, it’s very safe, and if the teen falls out, well Grandma would be coming with her!

I couldn’t help but be amused. After all, this was a TEENAGER and not a little girl.

As the train pulled into the station, Grandma asked: “Now that wasn’t so bad, was it?”

I fully expected to hear a meek “no” or something similar. Instead the teen declared: “It was AWFUL and I am NEVER doing that again!”

Guess we won’t have to worry about her stealing the title, will we @Longers? 😉😂

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Two funny things happened upon our entering the Haunted Mansion. First, a lady beside us whispered, “It even smells like a Haunted Mansion.”

What I want to know is......just how many Haunted Mansions has this woman been inside that she recognizes “the smell”?

More to the point: just what exactly would the "smell" of a haunted mansion be?! :rolleyes: (rotting corpses? :p )

susan lees

Forgot to mention two t-shirts we saw on other guests:

DISNEY
Because Adulting Can Be Really Hard

I’m Here For the Mountains:
Space, Splash and Big Thunder

Speaking of Big Thunder, this would be Ride #2 for @Longers.
View attachment 281232

In the car directly behind us was a teenage girl and her grandmother. It was clear when we boarded that the teen had never ridden BTMRR and absolutely FEARS rollercoasters.

“Grandma, I’m gonna fall out!”
“No dear, the lap bar will protect you.”
No it won’t! I can fall out the side!”
“Put your arm through mine. I’ll hold you in.”

The teen wasn’t buying it. She continued to protest as the train started to move. Then her pleas grew more desperate.....and LOUDER.

“I’m afraid!”
“There should be seatbelts in this ride!”
“I want this to be done!”
“Grandma, I am so scared right now!!”
“WE’RE GOING TO DIE!!”

Grandma is chuckling at this point while trying to reassure her. She mentioned that she’s ridden this ride for years, it’s very safe, and if the teen falls out, well Grandma would be coming with her!

I couldn’t help but be amused. After all, this was a TEENAGER and not a little girl.

As the train pulled into the station, Grandma asked: “Now that wasn’t so bad, was it?”

I fully expected to hear a meek “no” or something similar. Instead the teen declared: “It was AWFUL and I am NEVER doing that again!”

Guess we won’t have to worry about her stealing the title, will we @Longers? 😉😂
This made me laugh. First time I braved rockin roller coaster I was 40 and only went on as my family assured me it didn't go upside down. Once on said coaster and realising they had lied to me I berated my poor hubby the whole ride but I absolutely loved it and is now one of my favourites😂😂

Songbird76

Alas.....
View attachment 281058

View attachment 281065

View attachment 281059

Not so.

View attachment 281060

View attachment 281061
The worst hot chocolate I had was at Tusker House. Like you said, no chocolate flavor, and it was only luke warm, IF that. It had been raining outside, and even with our ponchos, we were a bit damp, and they had the air co cranked up so high we were FREEZING in there and hot chocolate had sounded so good to warm us up. I gave the CM a heads up about it being weak and cold, he brought back a warmer version of the same watered down concoction. Terrible, and that from a table service location!! Guess where WE won't ever be going back? (well, not just because of the hot chocolate..it was a bad experience all around...terrible food, freezing, dirty bathrooms...) I'm sorry you aren't having the best luck!! Did you not let them know they have a celebrity in their midst? Your Shirley status should count for something!!!

Songbird76

Friday, con’t

The second incident happened in the stretching room. Just as the Ghost Host said “To find a way out!” and the room went dark, the CM loudly instructed: “Look up!”

Did he think no one would notice the corpse hanging from the ceiling? 🤔

Ballroom fun
View attachment 281225
There's a corpse hanging from the ceiling in the stretching room? Well....Guess I will have to distract DS if I convince him to do HM next time!!! Thanks for the heads up!

Tuvalu

Original Poster
Em decided she wanted to eat lunch at Columbia Harbor House so we crisscrossed the park for the third time. She took a couple pictures of the view from our table while she waited for me to bring the food.

4144F1CB-3C36-4D62-8076-35BBD5DBB6FC.jpeg

82FB2533-B0EC-43B2-9E9D-E6DA51E8FE52.jpeg

You can tell the crowds had definitely picked up.

Lunch was chicken nuggets and fries....although I almost ended up with shrimp due to a miscommunication....not so good for one with a shellfish allergy!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom