Trip Report I Vowed Never Again ~ Yet Here We Are! *COMPLETED*

Wait, what?

WDW-obsessed Tuvalu actually vowed never again ?!?!

Must. Read. More.

Clickbait! :joyfull:

But there is truth in my statement. I did vow not to visit the world whenever our spring break...always the first week in April....aligns with Easter. The first week of April typically brings heavy crowds since most southern school systems are out. I can handle heavy. But add in additional volume from schools that coordinate their break with Easter and “heavy” becomes INSANE. (Not quite the insanity of Christmas week....I am smart enough to avoid that, thanks to a one-day trip in 1994.)

But I’ve BEEN THERE ~
In 2009 (during the recession) when it took 40 minutes just to get through the Epcot parking booth....and the line for the boat ride in Mexico was out the front door of the pavilion....and Magic Kingdom was closed due to capacity.

In 2010 when the mid-morning standby wait for Test Track was 240 minutes (that’s 4 hours, people!) and the wait time for Nemo (Nemo!) was 150 minutes.

In 2015 when we watched the 6:45 am MK Welcome show in the dark because we wanted to ride a few attractions before the hordes descended.

Long lines to use the restrooms (always filthy because attendants couldn’t keep up); no available tables in quick-service locations, forcing guests to sit on the ground outside the restaurants; and a general atmosphere of cranky/angry guests who didn’t like dealing with the multitude any more than I did.

So I declared, DONE THAT!

Or so I thought.....

My darling daughter Em lives for spring break. As a student she vacationed (Disney or beach) every year but one ~ and there was nearly a mutiny! Now that she’s a teacher, going away for spring break has reached an even higher level of importance. 😉 With this year’s Easter/spring break overlap, we began researching other warm-weather destinations.

Guess what we discovered. Transportation, resort and dining costs were cheaper if we went to WDW! And having APs means our entertainment would be free. Em’s teacher budget would not be strained. The practical side of me could not argue....and the mom side of me could not disappoint my daughter.

We leave on Monday. We’re prepared. And we’re gonna be LIVE!

BB429FCD-F668-4041-835B-D5BAFEDFD831.jpeg

A few Magic meet-ups are in the works. Hope to keep them a surprise (as long as @Zipitidoda doesn’t spill the beans! :cautious:)

Despite declining MagicBands for our upcoming stay, these arrived in yesterday’s mail ~

B65C6FED-62FE-4F60-AC49-54D2F3BA526E.jpeg

Yeah, like we’re gonna wear the UGLY gray ones.....🙄

See Ya Real Soon!

Tuvalu

Original Poster
The Hall of Presidents reopened shortly after our last trip in December so today was our first chance to check out the refurbishment.

C5C4798C-60EC-4115-A59F-A8C1AB2E7560.jpeg

Once seated, we noticed two permanent security guards stationed on either side of the theater. I am ashamed that security guards are necessary at an attraction that honors the history of the Presidents of the United States. It is not a political rally and guests should not act like it is one. Besides, “booing” or “cheering” at audio-animatronic figures is just plain silly.

474EED96-72C6-4103-B63B-29081C36C3E9.jpeg

82061050-B443-4A2B-B3E5-CED97433794F.jpeg

For as divisive is our country is now, I think Disney did a fine job with this non-partisan presentation.

289F721A-7885-4389-BAA7-D5CFA804E7C5.jpeg

0E67FF3A-FC2B-4278-86EE-87ADD74D03B2.jpeg

Love the cellphone screens in the lower part of this picture!

Tuvalu

Original Poster
“I want ice cream,” said Em.

“Okay, where from?” I asked.

Em listed the various pros and cons of each ice cream location inside the MK and ultimately decided she wanted an All American Sundae from the Plaza Ice Cream Parlor. (It’s got peanut butter in it. 😉)

0A7A74BD-B134-4BE2-A4E9-831DE8FBEFE0.jpeg

Nothing better than ice cream on a warm day! Although it appears the hostess at the Plaza Restaurant did not consider it a warm day.

628CB4B4-0A01-421E-A036-6545FE71141B.jpeg

Is that her winter coat?!! I know that Floridians have thin blood but this seems a bit extreme!

93boomer

Premium Member
Forgot to mention two t-shirts we saw on other guests:

DISNEY
Because Adulting Can Be Really Hard

I’m Here For the Mountains:
Space, Splash and Big Thunder

Speaking of Big Thunder, this would be Ride #2 for @Longers.
View attachment 281232

In the car directly behind us was a teenage girl and her grandmother. It was clear when we boarded that the teen had never ridden BTMRR and absolutely FEARS rollercoasters.

“Grandma, I’m gonna fall out!”
“No dear, the lap bar will protect you.”
No it won’t! I can fall out the side!”
“Put your arm through mine. I’ll hold you in.”

The teen wasn’t buying it. She continued to protest as the train started to move. Then her pleas grew more desperate.....and LOUDER.

“I’m afraid!”
“There should be seatbelts in this ride!”
“I want this to be done!”
“Grandma, I am so scared right now!!”
“WE’RE GOING TO DIE!!”

Grandma is chuckling at this point while trying to reassure her. She mentioned that she’s ridden this ride for years, it’s very safe, and if the teen falls out, well Grandma would be coming with her!

I couldn’t help but be amused. After all, this was a TEENAGER and not a little girl.

As the train pulled into the station, Grandma asked: “Now that wasn’t so bad, was it?”

I fully expected to hear a meek “no” or something similar. Instead the teen declared: “It was AWFUL and I am NEVER doing that again!”

Guess we won’t have to worry about her stealing the title, will we @Longers? 😉😂
😂😂

93boomer

Premium Member
“I want ice cream,” said Em.

“Okay, where from?” I asked.

Em listed the various pros and cons of each ice cream location inside the MK and ultimately decided she wanted an All American Sundae from the Plaza Ice Cream Parlor. (It’s got peanut butter in it. 😉)

View attachment 281252

Nothing better than ice cream on a warm day! Although it appears the hostess at the Plaza Restaurant did not consider it a warm day.

View attachment 281253
Is that her winter coat?!! I know that Floridians have thin blood but this seems a bit extreme!
Hope she didn’t pass out from the layers!

Tuvalu

Original Poster
Em and I left MK around 1:30 pm, pleased with all we had accomplished. While the park was definitely busy, the crowds did not seem as crushing as they had been earlier in the week.

We thought we would have plenty of time for relaxing at the pool until we discovered the housekeeping cart outside our door....which led to Em’s awkward encounter with the CM in the food court....and we hung out until our room was housekeeper free.

Pool chairs were at a premium. We found two singles and moved one over so we could sit together. We ended up at the pool less than an hour; an obnoxious family behind us wore our patience down.

It was probably a blessing in disguise anyway as then we were not rushed on our return back to MK. Em took a few pictures after we checked in at BOG for dinner.
D054C77B-8996-4AED-8784-2FCCB96D4AC5.jpeg

186ABF5B-2747-4C20-AE2C-9A6B80EFB32C.jpeg

BCE57E10-F658-4B53-AB24-CD2D289DA64C.jpeg

“Hey Mom, turn around!”
C96BDC9B-DA5D-4379-98B7-BDBA17F5BECB.jpeg

I requested our preferred room location, the Rose Gallery, but was told it was full and would require an additional 40 minute wait. I inquired about the West Wing (since Em has never dined there) but that too was full. We resigned ourselves to the noisy Ballroom.

Tuvalu

Original Poster
Little did we know that when booked BOG for dinner, it would be our last dinner there. The upcoming prix fixe menu does not appeal to us (and neither does the increase in price!) Hopefully lunch will retain its “non-signature” status.

Our table was in the middle of the room.
91309A2C-2229-4F23-92DE-7DA503931689.jpeg

Rolls were good.
F30A0685-742B-4E23-A2E1-4807A1F26832.jpeg

Em went with the steak and fries. She enjoyed it.
58FDB2A9-4675-4306-9079-D89755D5F179.jpeg

I tried the chicken. It was delectable!
3056A2AA-3084-4C35-9C5D-AEF30A4CBD74.jpeg

The radishes were a tasty touch. I love radishes.

Dessert ~ strawberry cupcake for Em and grey stuff for me.
C552BFB3-20A6-4917-97B1-9C6EC7DB8FDD.jpeg

0E884AFA-C080-4195-9AE5-FD8E8468BE7B.jpeg

Both of us agreed we’d order our meals again. And both of us are sad we won’t be able to.

We didn’t meet the Beast last time we had dinner at BOG because the line was 40 minutes long. We expected to encounter a similar line tonight, but popped our heads into the room anyway to scope out the situation.

No line!
65D606B2-350E-4C63-940B-05BBABE0A7B9.jpeg

19823F92-9F2E-4FEC-B183-903F5948F138.jpeg

Tuvalu

Original Poster
Darkness had descended at last. Time to use our final FP on the ride we most relish at night.

21F871F0-11EA-4271-841C-C44148F00B0F.jpeg

BUT.......it was down! 😫NO!! This can’t be happening! It’s our last night!

We hung around for a bit hoping for a restart. But we also wanted to see Happily Ever After (Em was wearing the shirt, after all.) And we weren’t sure we would have a good view of the fireworks from the entrance of BTMRR.

So we made our way to a place where we could see them.
B54A3D8C-80A1-4B27-9E39-C76EDDF2DC81.jpeg

Not the Hub! At 8:15 pm there was a park-wide announcement that Main Street and Cinderella Castle viewing areas were at capacity.....45 minutes prior to the start of HEA! :jawdrop: Never heard that before!

Tuvalu

Original Poster
Then we raced back over to BTMRR......which was now open! 🎉

1F10E5E7-388F-4683-B744-B22E83F01582.jpeg

We made sure our final BTMRR ride of April 2018 was sublime....last car, baby!

Then the attraction I forgot we rode!
C735F2B4-331B-48C1-B70B-13164744197F.jpeg

EA229AF0-7C4E-446F-8660-1C7613044558.jpeg

(Geesh, I even had photographic evidence! :facepalm:)

Just because there was no line ~
93C28F11-5A89-48AD-8610-7070DA8A9117.jpeg

When Arabian Nights ended, so did our night at MK. It was a grand one!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Once seated, we noticed two permanent security guards stationed on either side of the theater. I am ashamed that security guards are necessary at an attraction that honors the history of the Presidents of the United States. It is not a political rally and guests should not act like it is one. Besides, “booing” or “cheering” at audio-animatronic figures is just plain silly.

Agreed on all the above. I did have a silly thought though. Instead of someone booing or cheering one of the more current presidents and getting hauled out of there by security, wouldn't it be bizarre if someone cheered and made a big deal for one of the lesser known ones, like William Henry Harrison? Everyone would be looking at the person, trying to figure out why the heck someone was making a "scene" about William Henry Harrison? :p

Not sure how much $$$ those coins add up to, but it would be a nice donation to Give Kids the World.

I've heard down through the years, that Disney donates that money to children's charities, usually a medical facility.

Tuvalu

Original Poster
Back in 2014 (per Attractions magazine), they donated the total amount collected to help Foster children in Central Florida. That’s the earliest article I could quickly find.
I've heard down through the years, that Disney donates that money to children's charities, usually a medical facility.
Very encouraging info ladies! Thanks for sharing.

I did have a silly thought though. Instead of someone booing or cheering one of the more current presidents and getting hauled out of there by security, wouldn't it be bizarre if someone cheered and made a big deal for one of the lesser known ones, like William Henry Harrison? Everyone would be looking at the person, trying to figure out why the heck someone was making a "scene" about William Henry Harrison? :p.
:joyfull: :hilarious:

Tuvalu

Original Poster
Saturday, April 7

Our last day of vacation had dawned. Spending it at AK (our least favorite park) was an anomaly for us, yet necessary if we wanted a Flight of Passage FP at a reasonable hour. Seems the popularity of Pandora is forcing guests to put off AK until the end of their vacations....I wonder how Toy Story Land will factor into itineraries when it opens this summer. Scoring fastpasses is like playing the lottery!

AK had 7 am EMH and if we weren’t able to make a 7 am EMH yesterday at our favorite park, there was no way we’d make it for AK. We also had the added tasks of packing, dropping off luggage and obtaining boarding passes before leaving the resort. Knowing we could not accomplish the impossible, we opted not to rush around.

A final morning POFQ pic.
35345E0A-013C-45E0-B72B-6D33DE7535DA.jpeg

Neat playground for kids!

We fueled up with sugar (French toast and a muffin), did the aforementioned tasks and hopped a bus to AK.

No long entry line for us!
603B3D81-E858-4E78-8790-D9F9E0026D34.jpeg

It was necessary to document this rare Tuvalu and TrolleyFollower AK sighting.

5E44CF44-B2EE-49AA-9130-95474F698FF4.jpeg

55D50855-6BD3-4CD4-AEDE-D0A14479A7EA.jpeg

4EBF300E-B418-485B-AE39-E856AEBAF88A.jpeg

Does anyone else besides me get a little woozy looking at “crooked frame” pictures?

Tuvalu

Original Poster
We decided to take a walk through Pandora first. It is quite the unusual landscape which we are learning to appreciate.

5E2345A9-9F4D-4A73-9EAC-24280EF7F884.jpeg

F5FE8938-F013-4553-BF03-78691EB9F6FD.jpeg

A337F45E-ED14-4E43-A27D-FF148B790A00.jpeg

88648510-512D-4538-A4D4-6CCD7FAF835B.jpeg

Any “fleeting” thoughts we had about riding Na’vi River Journey standby floated right away! :joyfull:
ABD0AF3D-47A0-4647-8755-EBC079DACA86.jpeg

Em and I agree we would like to try NRJ again....surely it can’t be as bad as we remember?....but only if the wait is 15 minutes or less. (Which may be another 5 years from now!)

No fleeting thoughts about waiting almost 3 hours for FoP! But thankful for our FP.
63242E9C-3770-4732-AA05-3CD7D940F823.jpeg

Tuvalu

Original Poster
After reading so many glowing reports about the Night Blossom drink, I insisted we try it.

9E979DA6-4551-42BF-B4FC-BE737108A923.jpeg

Frozen limeade with apple and desert pear flavors topped with passion fruit boba balls
B587890D-E0AB-4A8D-BBC8-FDD1E5855EFD.jpeg

The last time I had “boba balls” in a drink was during a lunch with my parents at Skipper Canteen. Mom and I both ordered a Schweitzer Slush ~ frozen apple juice and passion fruit with bursting green apple boba balls.

“I like the way these balls feel in my mouth,” was Mom’s now-infamous comment.

So after my first sip of the Night Blossom what did I do?
DF19E170-32C7-439A-9F3E-01D42AC3BC79.jpeg

I FaceTimed Mom, of course! So we could finally “have a moment.” :hilarious:

Em and I declared the drink refreshing, though not a must-have. What we may be tempted to try on our next visit to Pongu Pongu is the Colossal Pretzel ~ no lie, the LARGEST hot pretzel we have ever seen! Of course we would need Woody to help us....and possibly 2-4 others!

riverside

The Hall of Presidents reopened shortly after our last trip in December so today was our first chance to check out the refurbishment.

View attachment 281247

View attachment 281248

View attachment 281249

For as divisive is our country is now, I think Disney did a fine job with this non-partisan presentation.

View attachment 281250

View attachment 281251
Love the cellphone screens in the lower part of this picture!
Very well said!! I never thought about it that way but you're right--booing/cheering animatronic figures is silly & doesn't really make any sense at all!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom