I think I might be done with WDW.

POLY LOVER

For some things I agree but not on this one. Things were better before hands down. Just thematic integrity alone makes the past better. Thats not including things like ride and park maintenance. @FettFan is right on. TWDC has become ROI first. The problem is, you became what you are by blazing a trail of quality first and the people will come because quality sells. Now it's "hey frozens popular what should we do?" "I got it, lets just throw it in Norway, no one really cares about Maelstrom anyway!" When what should have happened was they planned expantion in the lazy new fantasy land so when the opportunity came up they had a place to put frozen that would make sense. The funny thing is I have come to the conclusion that I must be the crazy one. The prices have gone through the roof, 3/4 of a park is shuttered, ride maintenance is terrible, rides closed years ago still sit empty yet the people still show up in hordes. All I can do is not show up. And thats exactly what we've done.

I guess it's got to be a taste of tough love.

erasure fan1

I guess it's got to be a taste of tough love.
It is tough love. I can't justify the cost anymore based on what they are offering right now. Our next trip isn't being planned until after star wars and toy story are open. So with Avatar open now, that trip will have enough new to justify it. You have no idea how hard it is to stay away as a family who up until our 2016 vacation only missed 2 trips in 20yrs. And I personally have been going for almost 40yrs.

Starlight67

Now we know they tampered with the formula and had the good sense to pull it back and restore the classic. it was partially because the public revolted and sent the message to coke and coke responded.

I remember that whole New Coke debacle well (and wow did Pepsi capitalize on that mess!). Though it had been advertised in heavily prior to it's introduction, basically the replacement happened overnight. One night 'our' Coke was on the shelves, next day replaced by the imposter New Coke. Boom. Coke was just GONE. The public freaked out, coke responded (because this sketchy decision hit their profits ASAP). With Disney it's different, not so clearcut and not an overnight thing. More of a gradual chip away (in my opinion)....

However, unlike a soft drink, Disney DOES need to change, to evolve as time goes by. But decisions like dropping Frozen in Norway leave me scratching my head. Makes me wonder if Spaceship Earth is likely to fall victim to becoming the 'Tour Through (insert latest Disney animated film)' attraction.

But Disney will keep drawing guests and getting their money. And some of that money will be mine. I still plan to keep on visiting, But I also like having a place to come to converse about this stuff.

Oddysey

If someone says there is a new trend at Disney, and because of it they may never go back again, this concerns me as I too take my family to the parks. If there is something going on that I have not seen myself, is it safe to ask details? You might have experienced things I haven't, but should still be aware of. Since you mentioned it to begin with, all I was asking was for a little more detail so I could keep a open eye. If you do not want to elaborate further that is fine.

I have been an annual passholder for 14 years so I am in no way a Disney hater. In fact, my family and I very much enjoy visiting the parks frequently. However, you asked for a single example of "political correctness" in the parks of a poster who would not provide one, but I am happy to give an example. Also, not trying to turn this into a political discussion thread just answering your original question to the poster who said the parks were moving towards political correctness.

The American Adventure has practically all flags from Americas past and present in the escalator corridor leading to the theater save for one notable exemption. The rebel flag that was removed approximately 2 to 4 years ago. While I don't display the rebel flag on my private property or anything that I own, it is part of the American Adventure whether we agree or disagree with its symbolism. I suspect this is the type of thing the poster you were questioning may be alluding too.

Last edited:

jimbojones

Burning out on the Disney parks is a common occurrence for many long time fans. Just be thankful that you don't have a DVC membership that you have to unload.
Exactly this, if all you ever do with your vacation time and money is go to WDW it is not shocking that you might get tired off it , even if you can't quite admit to yourself that you are tired of it and ready for change. I think this is particularly true for folks who grew up as Disney fanatics and are now approaching or in middle age and maybe a a kids/family resort is not what fulfills them as adults. After suffering from similar feelings as the OP, I just recently realized that going more than once every three years or so is probably too much WDW for me. I am still looking forward to a visit this summer but plan on it being the last for a few years. So many folks on these boards seem to do Disney vacations exclusively and that is IMHO a recipe for boredom or dissatisfaction .

I like chocolate cake but that doesn't mean I want to eat it for every meal, variety is the spice of life.

Last edited:

wagner1225

We have been going since 1973, and have seen a lot of changes, I don't mind so much the changes as the generations do change, but I do mind is the costs over the years is getting a little out of hand. I understand its still crowded and they get what what they ask, Its just a little frustrating sometimes to go and not be able to do what you want for the price...

draybook

And the banjo playing Canadians wearing plaid is super accurate of Canada too right? All the countries are very superficial and borderline racist at times at how face value they take their countries. When people think of Mexico they think of crystal skulls and margaritas, when people think of Italy they think of pasta and pizza, when people think of Norway they think of Frozen.

Mexican isn't a race. Please don't play the martyr for us. We're good and we like that pavilion. Thanks.

OneofThree

While there's a measure of truth in saying that we sometimes romanticize the past, suggesting that it's not possible to compare WDW past and present objectively is equally anecdotal. For example, it's easy to observe the extent to which Disney fills every conceivable space with trinkets and snacks, in a most obtrusive and carnival-like manner. Does anyone who saw the place 30-40 years ago really feel this creates a better atmosphere?

Jedi Stitch

For first timers Disney will still be magical. 16 was the first time to WDW. I had been to DLR plenty of times, but never to WDW. Even then I have only really had seen 1/2 of everything. When I go back there will be still new things to see, and as well as new land to check out. I plan to go to DLR in the near future. Haven't been in DCA yet, so I have a new adventure awaiting. I don't go often enough to make it seam like it is the same thing everyday.
I do Agree that rides like the PotC with the PC squad correcting our PC lenses are just wrong, and that make me just want to scream shut up and don't ride it if it offend you. History is not PC. THen I have to ask what do I hate more, riding my favorite changed ride, or not getting to ride it at all, for some weird new one?

larandtra

WDW, as with the rest of the world is ever changing. Nostalgia is nice, and yep, lots to do to fix the messes created lately but does that mean I wont go anymore? Likely not. Just means Ill be more picky about when.

disneyflush

Exactly this, if all you ever do with your vacation time and money is go to WDW it is not shocking that you might get tired off it , even if you can't quite admit to yourself that you are tired of it and ready for change. I think this is particularly true for folks who grew up as Disney fanatics and are now approaching or in middle age and maybe a a kids/family resort is not what fulfills them as adults. After suffering from similar feelings as the OP, I just recently realized that going more than once every three years or so is probably too much WDW for me. I am still looking forward to a visit this summer but plan on it being the last for a few years. So many folks on these boards seem to do Disney vacations exclusively and that is IMHO a recipe for boredom or dissatisfaction .

I like chocolate cake but that doesn't mean I want to eat it for every meal, variety is the spice of life.

Agreed. If WDW gets 100% of all of your savings every year or every 2 years or you feel comfortable purchasing a lifetime contract with them via DVC then your sensitivity/frustration to price increases is going to cause feelings that can lead to 'burnout' more acutely. Folks approaching middle age were able to go as kids and see a park half as full as it is now and for prices that weren't barriers to entry at the level they are currently. We obviously can't go back to that era from a crowd perspective or price perspective but its fun to think about.

Kingtut

I don’t get this argument. Disney is succeeding, as evidenced in their attendance year over year.
People can voice their unhappiness, but they are the minority, not majority...although they’re not willing to accept that, and want to think that they are in fact the majority.

I’m glad you still enjoy the parks. :).
We can't know who is the majority/minority at this time. The population increases every year so just a raw increased attendance doesn't tell you anything except what this quarters number will be. It is clear that Disney has determined that they want the Florida parks to be at this size for some reason. I doubt I will live to see a fifth gate and even with the current construction there is not much additional capacity beyond what has already been there. Disney is and has been for a while primarily an entertainment company - not a theme park company. To my mind the current approach is to milk as much money out of the parks as possible to finance the development of the new entertainment delivery platforms which are needed for the future. If the US parks didn't exist - today's Disney would not build them. Parks are only being built where Burbank believes they must have them to increase branding awareness in new markets.

In my little world of friends and acquaintances - I have seen a shift from lets go to Disney for vacation - to we have done that lets go somewhere else. To me this says that Disney is alienating repeat customers which is normally not considered a good thing to most business people since it costs more to acquire a new customer than keep an old one. The counter argument is that Disney doesn't need/want repeat customers since there are so many new ones available. That only works as long as there is a legacy of goodwill that Disney can draw upon. Every complaint or disappointment written about on these forums is a sign of this goodwill being reduced. The question is do the new customers experiences refill that bucket of goodwill? enough? I can't answer that for everyone only for myself and in my case the answer is no - my trips have become more infrequent and shorter - spending less money with Disney. Once the parks become just another amusement park it will take a monumental effort to educate potential visitors that Disney parks are better than .....

At it's prime nobody could imagine Sears failing either.

Damon7777

But you could help me understand. Just elaborate on which examples of political correctness demonstrated at the parks would cause you to que

I'll jump in at the risk not producing the kind of example to which Jim S is alluding:

Place: Magic Kingdom.....stage in front of Cinderella's Castle.
Goofy came on stage with the most feminine/girly looking parasol I have seen. He was dancing and "goofing" around with it for a few moments and then handed it off to a non character backup female performer.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Bummer to have WDW burnout.....I did not go til an adult in my late 20's.....and at most I go once a year but not every year. So what has been fun for me is to understand it's history and read all about Walt and the evolution of the company and the parks. I made me appreciate all the little details and it became all the more special to me. Of course there are many changes I have disagreed with, and things I would love to see them improve on and pay attention to, to maintain the past things I love.....I do believe Walt never intended for any parks to be "done"....but that begs for the changes to be improvements and new experiences of quality....and somewhere there that has missed the mark. BUT change is life, and personally I still hold a lot of value in the little things that remain constant for me. SURE I wish the prices didn't keep going up....I have many trips of wonderful memories with my family that are priceless....and reemerge each time I visit. Having navigated many changes and having to relearn and discover how to plan a trip in advance to meet the bucket list of things we want to do....is work....but the payoff of having a flexible plan helps me to enjoy it all the more when the trip happens. Most of my favorite things still exist....and sometimes the new things become new favorites.....I refuse to believe that imagination will ever disappear....its the harnessing of good imagineers that can read what will make Disney fans happy and create those experiences to tell both the old and new stories to entertain us and create value, for Disney, and for families......that will determine the future of Disney's success. I can understand burnout no prob.....and empathize, at the same time hope I never feel that way myself. :angelic::happy:

In an age where a great decline of customer service in general leaves a LOT to wish for.....maintaining a higher standard is hard to do but necessary to set Disney Parks above and apart from joining into the "new normal" we seem forced to accept elsewhere. I pray and hope and expect Disney to strive to maintain quality and invest in talent and management to secure that. Ok and maybe a huge jar of Pixie Dust won't hurt either.....:happy:

MrConbon

Mexican isn't a race. Please don't play the martyr for us. We're good and we like that pavilion. Thanks.

I’m not. I’m saying that each country isn’t a truly accurate representation of what each country is actually like. I will never be a martyr for you Mexicans. Don’t worry.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom