I think I might be done with WDW.

21stamps

This is true. But I’m trying to emphasize that for many, it’s not as much personal enjoyment as it is wanting to see Disney succeed. It’s true that nobody can change what exists right now, the point is to try to prevent the same mistakes being made again and again, which is what WDI is doing. It’s hard to find someone who likes SGE these days, and it’ll be hard to find someone who really enjoys Mission: Breakout in about five years. That kind of constant updating leads to losses, or if it isn’t updated at all, it’s just a quickly-outdated attraction. It’s lose-lose for Disney.

I personally still quite enjoy all four Florida Disney parks as they are right now, and will still be going and enjoying myself. But if every attraction is replaced with soulless, corporate cash-grabs, that’ll change for me, and most likely for countless others. It’s our job as consumers to show Disney what works and what doesn’t, and there are only two courses of action when it comes to theme parks: voicing your opinion, or not going at all. Because of this, I can’t be expected, as a consumer, to bite my tongue every time Disney destroys thematic integrity within their parks or mindlessly shoehorns an IP that’ll last a solid three weeks I nto an otherwise-unchanged attraction.

I don’t get this argument. Disney is succeeding, as evidenced in their attendance year over year.
People can voice their unhappiness, but they are the minority, not majority...although they’re not willing to accept that, and want to think that they are in fact the majority.

I’m glad you still enjoy the parks. :).

Lou Filerman

Some people do think its the best show. everyone has different opinions. I think it’s garbage, but others like it. That’s life.
So given the size of the audience, the Kardashians is a great show? If the biggest issue was desert parties I dont think people would have a big issue.
Some people do think it’s a great show. I don’t, I think its garbage but I don’t care that others like it.

OneofThree

People can voice their unhappiness, but they are the minority, not majority...although they’re not willing to accept that, and want to think that they are in fact the majority.

I completely agree that those holding consistent with the OP likely do not represent majority. The extent to which these believe that -I have no idea. If you experienced WDW back before the 90's, you recognize just how diminished the experience is today. I'm not the sort to begin conversation about it, but I will voice my perspective when the opportunity presents itself. I still enjoy WDW, and do not find myself lamenting these things while I'm there. This isn't because there's nothing to complain about so much as it really just amounts to a choice to enjoy what is there. I do think there's value in the voicing of a variety of perspectives -majority, minority, dissenting, whatever. Data regarding what we're doing wrong is at least as valuable as what we're getting right, IMO.

Disneyhead'71

I mean, in the Norway pavilion there’s a whole building explaining how Norway inspired the architecture and clothing of Frozen. So the ride definitely fits in Norway despite what some people think.
That is why I am fully in favor of them building Luke Skywalkers childhood farm house and calling it The African Pavilion.

It would be an awesome learning experience. Most people have no clue how much Tunesian culture influenced Star Wars.

Only in America would "Frozen" be considered an educational film.

Last edited:

erasure fan1

I mean, in the Norway pavilion there’s a whole building explaining how Norway inspired the architecture and clothing of Frozen. So the ride definitely fits in Norway despite what some people think.
So you won't mind them combining America and Japan and making a big hero 6 ride because San Fransokyo was inspired by San Francisco and Tokyo? Sorry I just can't buy that logic.

Disneyhead'71

Some people like educating. Most people feel it is immoral not to take advantage of those less intellectually sophisticated.

I like the Mr. Rogers-esque DisCo. more than the Donald Trump-esque DisCo.

21stamps

I completely agree that those holding consistent with the OP likely do not represent majority. The extent to which these believe that -I have no idea. If you experienced WDW back before the 90's, you recognize just how diminished the experience is today. I'm not the sort to begin conversation about it, but I will voice my perspective when the opportunity presents itself. I still enjoy WDW, and do not find myself lamenting these things while I'm there. This isn't because there's nothing to complain about so much as it really just amounts to a choice to enjoy what is there. I do think there's value in the voicing of a variety of perspectives -majority, minority, dissenting, whatever. Data regarding what we're doing wrong is at least as valuable as what we're getting right, IMO.

Yes, it’s completely normal to voice one’s opinion, good or bad.
It’s when people start saying things like “Disney is no longer magical” “Disney has gone down hill” “All upcharge events are horrible money grabbing nonsense that will ruin Disney” etc etc etc.. and stating it as a fact, instead of an opinion, that’s when it gets a little weird.

I also want to add.. I think it’s odd to read people say “if you experienced Disney pre 90s you’d understand”
This is where the weirdness comes in.. Many of us have been going to Disney World for over 3 decades, and don’t share that opinion. People have to realize that an opinion is not one size fits all.

Last edited:

MrConbon

So you won't mind them combining America and Japan and making a big hero 6 ride because San Fransokyo was inspired by San Francisco and Tokyo? Sorry I just can't buy that logic.

I mean, sure that sounds pretty cool and would be a nice transition area between America and Japan.

Starlight67

It is what you make it. Nothing can change what exists right now.
Either someone enjoys it, or they don’t.

These threads are the same.. over and over. We are talking about a theme park.. not a child or a spouse.. it’s ok to grow away from something like a theme park. Even when you love it. Cherish your memories, but cut the cord if it brings you pain and negativity.

Seriously, it just doesn’t make sense to constantly complain about things that can’t be changed.

I don't think anyone is complaining here. It seems the whole thread has been an interesting and respectful discussion, and we are in the Discussion Forum area after all. I find that reading opinions that differ from mine interesting, and also can give me a broader perspective on issues. And I am always up for broadening my HORIZONS :).

21stamps

I don't think anyone is complaining here. It seems the whole thread has been an interesting and respectful discussion, and we are in the Discussion Forum area after all. I find that reading opinions that differ from mine interesting, and also can give me a broader perspective on issues. And I am always up for broadening my HORIZONS :).

I think so too.. which is why I voiced my opinion of the parks, and what I would do if I was no longer happy when visiting the parks. :)

Disneyhead'71

Nobody said that Frozen was an educational film. I’m arguing that it fits in the Norway pavilion as Frozen was inspired by the architecture, fauna, landscapes, and clothing of Norway.
I absolutely think a display linking the inspirations of Frozen to Norway is appropriate. I also have no problem with the Meet & Greet. But passing off a Disney movie as the main showcase of Norwegian culture is intellectually dishonest. It smacks of crass commercialization.

MrConbon

I absolutely think a display linking the inspirations of Frozen to Norway is appropriate. I also have no problem with the Meet & Greet. But passing off a Disney movie as the main showcase of Norwegian culture is intellectually dishonest. It smacks of crass commercialization.

And the banjo playing Canadians wearing plaid is super accurate of Canada too right? All the countries are very superficial and borderline racist at times at how face value they take their countries. When people think of Mexico they think of crystal skulls and margaritas, when people think of Italy they think of pasta and pizza, when people think of Norway they think of Frozen.

Tony the Tigger

I'm just really into education. After interviewing the young lead Imagineer on the Frozen project, I understand why it has the intellectual depth of a kiddie pool.

What obligation has a theme park to be educational? First obligation is entertainment. Use that as a delivery system to throw in some facts, great. I’m not taking a class, I’m going to Disney World - to see all the Disney specific stuff come to life. For education, I can watch PBS for a lot less money.

Some people like educating. Most people feel it is immoral not to take advantage of those less intellectually sophisticated.

I like the Mr. Rogers-esque DisCo. more than the Donald Trump-esque DisCo.

It’s hardly Trump-esque. You’re so smart, is that the reaction you’re looking for?

Well, so am I, but I still always found school boring. In fact, especially because I’m smart, I found school boring. How much is a theme park going to teach me?

I appreciate a few tidbits here and there. I paid extra for a Mexican lunch with tequila pairings and learned something about tequila. That was fun. It was my choice to do that.

I can’t meet your disdain in splitting hairs between “real” Norway (which was never real, but representative) and fake Norway (which has a location name with a few letters off.)

That’s what Disney is: commercialization. I’m sorry if you interpreted it otherwise.

POLY LOVER

I think the bottom line is that the disney company is way to big to respect the parks and the history they are responsible for. It's maximizing profits for the corporation. Disney can't be faulted for wanting to make money but they have a product that needs people who respect its history. It would be like coke forgetting it's winning formula and watering it down because they can make more money. Now we know they tampered with the formula and had the good sense to pull it back and restore the classic. it was partially because the public revolted and sent the message to coke and coke responded. I think that's what it will take for Disney to make the adjustment and correct course. As long as the turnstiles keep turning the people at the top will be blinded.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom