Trip Report I still have a family (just) but what a totally different experience we had. ** completed

Hi my Disney friends

I’m back and to be honest it all feels like a total blur.

As the title suggests I do still have a family but there were some bumps in the road. I’ll share some details and thoughts as we go. Be warned though this won’t be like any of my other TR’s the magic whilst there was not as strong as previous trips and the whole pace was much slower. You might ask yourself where has Tracey gone? I asked myself the same thing - don’t get me wrong it was still fun and my nephews had the best time which was the main aim but some things that happened just took the gloss off.

I always used to look at big groups and imagine what fun it would be, but in truth it restricts a lot of things you do, everything happens much slower and not everything gets done - although I think I was probably the only one who noticed that.

Anyhow let’s start this......

So the background

This holiday as I mentioned in the PTR was the first for my sister in 14 years (a messy divorce left her to bring up my 2 nephews) my younger nephew had never been on a plane and my older nephew had only flown once when he was 2 (he doesn’t remember that)
We had booked it a year and a half beforehand for the whole family. Myself, Chris, sister her partner, 2 nephews, my brother and sister in law and my mum - 9 of us we’re going to Disney (they said Florida) but I knew different.

We were going from 19th Aug to 1st September 13 nights in a villa (you know I love POR) - we were trying to keep the cost down for my sister!

The WhatsApp group was in full use before we went - how much luggage can I take? Can I pack x in my hand luggage? Whose getting on TOT - we involve everyone in the pre holiday excitement.

Next up getting there - and some photos! (Sorry for the text heavy start)

Minnesota disney fan

Wow, Your picture taking is getting to be amazing! Great pictures of the SW area. I'm with you in that I'm not much interested in that area and neither is Roger. We might or might not visit in when we go again, depends on the crowds. So glad the 2 of you got to go by yourselves and enjoy the visit:)

PacNWTigger

I'm a little late, but following along. Kricket is wondering where the ice cream is...

Mchugs7

I'm late to the party, but following along. I love your enthusiasm for Disney and always enjoy your trip reports, so I can't wait to hear all of the details. I hope the extended family trip didn't ruin too much of your fun!!

Longers

Original Poster
Oops work got in the way yesterday...... well I was trying to update whilst at work :D

We started to walk out via the marketplace exploring as we went

B5B6ECBD-9E0A-41FF-BBF4-4C9D3B13A81A.jpeg

590D5F33-009E-4325-8586-E23DC92D476E.jpeg

DF7455B7-EA72-4804-9E02-B9AE3B217F5E.jpeg

2384169F-5B1E-4FC2-B7B1-931C44E43759.jpeg

I saw a restroom sign and whilst I didn’t need to go I was curious of what the theming would be like

Here it is - there was no one in there or I wouldn’t have been taking pictures!

DD21CFAC-6C75-41EA-B736-5C574427E2D2.jpeg

D58022AF-0149-408C-A8F8-B3043F74BEB8.jpeg

9D3D0C05-C1AC-4725-B8D8-3BDB17E998EE.jpeg

B545BF05-CAB1-47E6-A091-FBA0DA42B348.jpeg

We spotted the droid workshop - there were so many people walking around with their boxes - Disney is making an ice little profit with this idea - i 5ink they were $99 and during the previews it was busy but you could look inside and they were actively encouraging everyone to make one.

1B630C92-959D-411D-9B06-556199F461DF.jpeg

A5879D7B-449A-4531-9848-8E59AAA804F9.jpeg

Longers

Original Poster
We carried on making our way out - we’d received a WhatsApp asking how we were doing and were we still on schedule for a 7.30 meet at Target. we agreed but we didn’t rush out - we figured by the time we would be there maybe all the shopping would be done.

F3F693A1-E524-43E9-847D-87A257214638.jpeg

E6676BC6-A05E-40A2-AD72-E102CEDBD4F5.jpeg

0B2238E2-EF31-47B1-B2C6-8E99A5FE3842.jpeg

29A7AC22-619C-49A2-85ED-CD2602CAE4FF.jpeg

E7ABE239-C67B-4BD5-A54D-24DE031209BD.jpeg

E0AA135A-983D-4F6F-8B6D-B4892C27701F.jpeg

2AF440E1-F051-4A81-B14F-61B0D659409A.jpeg

We spotted these cool water stations - there was no water left in this one though!

F0F378CB-DADF-4417-82B0-71CB51450891.jpeg

This cast member obliged in a farewell photo

7714D424-060A-441B-A45D-C52CF1062FDF.jpeg

B4D54978-D66F-4DDA-987D-AF9B62D64148.jpeg

And in just over an hour we were out and in the car on the way to meet the rest of the family.

Now if you read my PRT you will know my mum had been poorly and at one stage we weren’t sure if she would come - well all the walking of the day had worn her out so she didn’t come to target.

Myself and Chris arrived at 7.45 and I was immediately updated with a hire place just outside that hired wheelchairs - they closed at 8pm and did have one we could take so my brother and I went to get it. Now I knew my mum wouldn’t be happy but she was shattered and we all wanted her there.

Our thought process was get it and even if we just wheel it about so be it - the option would then be there.

We finished at target - wheelchair and shopping in the boot and back to the villa we went.

I still remember telling my mum that night that we had hired a wheelchair she cried - I could see in her eyes her disappointment at being ill and on this holiday and it broke my heart. She is so active and wanted to walk but we kept saying if you use just when you are tired at least we have the option.
We told her we would leave in the boot of the car if she didn’t want it.
My nephews were great they said they would push her and give her some wheelies too.
She finally agreed she knew it was the right thing and we all agreed just to let her use it when she wanted.

Now also in my PRT were details of some post it notes I took to get my nephews to write down their memories of each day. Both of them on this day put down something similar

“Getting pranked on splash mountain by the little drop thinking it was the big one”

Mine was “getting to spend a day in Disney with my family and finally getting my nephews on the rides I love”

Day 1 was over and so far so good - but that was all about to change!

Longers

Original Poster
That tiny stormtrooper- 😍😍😍

I know too cute!

I'm here!
Traveling with a big group is definitely very hard - we have our big family trip in December but thankfully most of us have gone in the last few months so I don't feel the same pressure to make everyone happy

Hi, looks like you had a fab trip - I was following along jealous of you going so often.

Following along! I'm hoping for a big family trip sometime within the next few years, but I feel like it will be hard being the "expert" and keeping everyone happy. Can't wait to read more!

It certainly is hard and booking 9 FP had its challenges too.
Glad to have you on board

I'm a tad late, but following along! While not nearly as large, we went with my in laws last time, and I completely know where you're coming from about that magic feeling on the entrance not being there. I was so consumed with thoughts of getting things put together and organized that it didn't hit right away like I was expecting. Lots of great memories to look back on, but it is definitely a different experience!
But, all of those memories you helped to create for your nephews in just that first day are awesome! ;)

Better late than never :)
It certainly didn’t hit me like I was expecting. Chris was convinced I would be full on balling my eyes out at the sight of that castle - I normally cry but he was convinced that as I’ve waited 15 of years for this that I would be a nightmare but I just wasn’t - very different to previous trips

Following!
Thanks - welcome

Longers

Original Poster
Glad to see that your nephews were having a good time. 🤗 You never know how the will react at their ages. We took our son when he was 10 and he collected loads of autographs. Next time we went he was 14 and wasn't sure but took his book back with him and collected more. Our friends son is older and 'wasn't going g to do the childish things' bug as soon as we walked into MK and saw the lines to meet Goofy he rushed off to buy an autograph book. 😲😉
We reminded him of that recently as we're looking to plan avist in 2021- and that will be a large group of 12-15 but we won't be planning to all do the same things all of the time so may be easier than your trip this time.
I'm sure your next trip will remind you of all the special magic for just the 2 of you.

I was glad they did - I did wonder who smaller rides on the first day they might not like it but I wasn’t trying to get them to embrace the whole have fun no matter what age you are thing.
I actually gave them autograph books that morning saying I had waited over 13 years to give them to them but the honest truth is that they were never used!
I couldn’t imagine going with 12-15 family - good luck with that one!

Longers

Original Poster
I'm in. Great pics from SWGE!! I can't wait to see it in person!!

Thanks - I don’t think anyone could be disappointed in the detail but it’s a lot of theming for just 2 rides

Wow, Your picture taking is getting to be amazing! Great pictures of the SW area. I'm with you in that I'm not much interested in that area and neither is Roger. We might or might not visit in when we go again, depends on the crowds. So glad the 2 of you got to go by yourselves and enjoy the visit:)

Thanks - there’s no editing to any pictures it’s just a point and shoot!
I would say go just to see the detail (depending on the crowds!)

I'm a little late, but following along. Kricket is wondering where the ice cream is...
View attachment 410932

I know huge fail on day 1

I'm late to the party, but following along. I love your enthusiasm for Disney and always enjoy your trip reports, so I can't wait to hear all of the details. I hope the extended family trip didn't ruin too much of your fun!!

Welcome - I love Disney with a passion and even when I am not there I miss it terribly and make quotes during everyday conversations but some of it was dampened - details to follow

Fellow Brit, looking forward to
following along!

Thank you - welcome

MySmallWorldof4

Hi my Disney friends

I’m back and to be honest it all feels like a total blur.

As the title suggests I do still have a family but there were some bumps in the road. I’ll share some details and thoughts as we go. Be warned though this won’t be like any of my other TR’s the magic whilst there was not as strong as previous trips and the whole pace was much slower. You might ask yourself where has Tracey gone? I asked myself the same thing - don’t get me wrong it was still fun and my nephews had the best time which was the main aim but some things that happened just took the gloss off.

I always used to look at big groups and imagine what fun it would be, but in truth it restricts a lot of things you do, everything happens much slower and not everything gets done - although I think I was probably the only one who noticed that.

Anyhow let’s start this......

So the background

This holiday as I mentioned in the PTR was the first for my sister in 14 years (a messy divorce left her to bring up my 2 nephews) my younger nephew had never been on a plane and my older nephew had only flown once when he was 2 (he doesn’t remember that)
We had booked it a year and a half beforehand for the whole family. Myself, Chris, sister her partner, 2 nephews, my brother and sister in law and my mum - 9 of us we’re going to Disney (they said Florida) but I knew different.

We were going from 19th Aug to 1st September 13 nights in a villa (you know I love POR) - we were trying to keep the cost down for my sister!

The WhatsApp group was in full use before we went - how much luggage can I take? Can I pack x in my hand luggage? Whose getting on TOT - we involve everyone in the pre holiday excitement.

Next up getting there - and some photos! (Sorry for the text heavy start)
Late to the party, but here. Looking forward to your tr, the good and bad parts. I went to Disney with my extended family in 2010. Hasn't happened since.

Longers

Original Poster
Oh no! I know traveling with family can create heightened emotions. 😬
Hope you all bounce back!

It certainly did - more to come....

Late to the party, but here. Looking forward to your tr, the good and bad parts. I went to Disney with my extended family in 2010. Hasn't happened since.

I would think twice before doing it again - you certainly have to have the right people with you

Looks like a CM getting a picture for either that girl in white or for that family in front of the Falcon.

Correct

Great day 1. Such a cliffhanger 😬.
I know I don’t normally have any drama on my trips

Longers

Original Poster
Wednesday 21st Aug - day 2 Animal kingdom

Now over a year and a half ago when this trip was booked my nephews had both said they were not going to AK. They are vegetarian and don’t like captive animals – I kept telling them “it’s not a zoo” – do you remember those comments on the resort TV or was it Stacey?

I decided to just let it go and just drop gently hints about all the great things in AK and to just see where it ended up – I got the feeling the more I tried to convince them the more they would sway away from it.

So over the coming months I mentioned FOP and Everest and didn’t use it in any context of what park it was in.

I think it was 2 months before the holiday and we were all together and trying to plan things I mentioned to them all the parks and no comment was made when I mentioned AK so I took that in meaning everyone was happy to go.

I know you’re all thinking this is where it went wrong but actually it wasn’t.

Everyone was awake if not a little tired and ready to leave around 7.25am.

We piled into the 2 cars and we were off.

Now down the “traffic light” road as I call it – but it’s the one with the mile markers on it – there is a turning where you can come round the back of AK so you join on a little slip road just to the left hand side of the parking booths. Thankfully on our AK days this saved a lot of time as we didn’t go to mile marker 4 or 5 and then follow the AK signs (that’s one of the perks of knowing your way around I guess)

We were parking in the car park just before 8am for a 9am opening.

The plan of course was FOP.

We convinced mum to use the wheelchair – not only would we be walking from the car park but once inside it would be the usual dash to the ride and we didn’t want anyone knocking into her.

They started letting everyone in at approx. 8.15am and we followed the masses towards FOP – my family couldn’tbelieve all the running to get to the ride – I did make a comment that that running would only save them around 10 mins if that.

The queue moved really fast – we had all decided that we were all riding – even mum – she wasn’t sure but said she had heard me talk about this ride and she didn’t want to miss out.

We were split up in terms of the 9 to a row but it was kind of cool looking over to see some of the faces. When they got off they all admitted that they would queue and even get up really early to do that ride again – result – and we were on and off the ride by 9.08am

My nephew loved the chance to dress up and the cast member was fully encouraging it.

5353F782-EC6E-4A39-A895-9B47CD30747F.jpeg

4EBB993E-3341-4258-8683-A0C4599B8911.jpeg

We stopped for a quick photo

427FD38A-DE8A-4B85-975B-291D317B8558.jpeg

We then headed towards Navi which was I think a 20 min wait – my older nephew really like that ride and wanted to do it again later in the holiday but alas that didn’t happen and this was to be his only ride. We did have a FP for 1.15pm but that later got cancelled.

We then took time to wander round Pandora – I wanted them to get the full feeling and enjoy this part of the park as much as I do

We had a safari FP for everyone at 11.50am but decided that as it was really hot we would head over there straight away and cancel the FP. Our though process was maybe we would see more animals before the heat really kicked in.

I did worry whether this would cause any of them to make comments about the animals but everyone got off and seemed pretty happy – another tick and success in AK.

My younger nephew had been looking at the Mickey ice cream bars all the day before so he decided to get one – believe it or not I passed at this point as I didn’t fancy anything. Where had I gone? What had happened to me?

D6FA9238-105F-47F0-B5D7-170C5C0F5DFE.jpeg

Longers

Original Poster
Our next stop was Everest it was 11.30am and we had a FP for 11.50 – There wasn’t much of a queue so 7 of us just decided to ride - they wanted sleeping pictures! – leaving my mum and sister together outside. My younger nephew had his doubts about riding – my sister had said to him “have you seen that drop” “are you sure” but we just moved him away from her and said “if you don’t do it you’ll regret it” – as I had done for several years if you remember from previous TR’s

Both boys loved it! – it was another success for AK - from memory I think they took some spare FP and rode again together.

CE70217A-C6AB-4221-BAED-0026DE62B26A.jpeg

A9EFA809-49CB-42AB-BCB0-5D4C734D015F.jpeg

It looks like they had fun when they went round again

57356768-1559-48A6-8F68-F6653739CA3C.jpeg

Before we had left I had promised them a coke float as they have never had one – so we stopped and sat sweating in the shade enjoying them – no picture sorry as they were so fizzy everything had to be eaten quickly ;(

Everyone had decided they wanted to head back (I would have been happy to stay!) so I suggested ITTBAB in the air conditioning

Everyone was happy with that suggestion so we headed there

AE818589-D83A-4F8D-92A0-915D9F9C8CDA.jpeg

The wheelchair was used but not by my mum!

8195B3C5-2FE4-4116-AE18-3CA4D2C3FE1E.jpeg

They loved ITTBAB too - especially being stung and all the insects leaving at the end.

919255F2-19EA-4A07-951F-5F16D84F19F1.jpeg

We headed back to the villa for a break from the heat and before I was going to show them the MK fireworks.

Longers

Original Poster
Everyone chilled out while we searched the internet for places to have dinner.
F6878395-0F9E-4C2B-9C62-12D9BAAD8951.jpeg

My sister ended up cooking pasta for the boys and we ended up deciding to go to Denny’s and then going straight to MK as I’d cancelled 2 FP earlier I was able to get another Buzz and a pirates FP so we could do that and then watch the fireworks.

Now this picture will forever remind me of what was to come next rather than a happy time it should have been

B790AA77-A32A-400B-B277-F344C8700E53.jpeg

And this is where it might get a bit text heavy - you have been warned!

My sisters partners food came out slightly after ours but everyone agreed to eat rather than things going cold (the boys had some awesome desserts)

I guess in Denny’s when they think you might be finished they bring the bill over so without thinking we all looked and started to sort out money.

Now as you can see I was at the other end of the table but there was some commotion and my sisters partner finished his food and then just got up and walked out clearly fed up and with a total strop on. Not before my sister had made a comment about moving money which clearly he was not happy about.

Well I think things had been building as he had been behind us most of the day and to be honest I don’t really think Disney was for him. He had made the comments to me in MK on day 1 and ad mentioned rooms when we got to the villa so I was already getting fed up with him anyway.

Now I am such a happy person normally, life is too short and you just have to get on with people or stay away from anyone you can’t get on with - but this had my blood boiling.

I went to the restroom and when I came back he was still outside and my sister was still sitting at the table

I made a comment to her like are you really going to let this happen again with another man and was then calmed down a bit by Chris -thankfully my nephews hadn’t really realised what was going on.

I couldn’t believe that she had waited so long for a holiday as my nephews had and he in that moment was trying to spoil everything.

She finally headed outside to talk to him and fingers were being waved - I just got in the car I knew he wouldn’t go in with the boys and we waited.

Bless Chris he literally tried his hardest. The last thing he wanted was my sisters holiday to be ruined but it had all blown up over something so trivial.
There was a discussion in the other car and he finally came to shake my brothers hand as apparently it turned out to be something he had said that had sparked the exit.

We thought that would be it but oh no........

We travelled to MK and headed to pirates I can’t remember who rode but my sisters partner wasn’t one of them - I don’t know where he was and as we exited I think someone said he had left - to which I replied good. There had been tension building and his whole attitude had been spotted by everyone except my sister and the boys.

We headed to buzz where everyone joined the queue minus him and then someone looked out and he was there - Chris left the queue to speak to him and I could see finger pointing again - wasn’t this all finished? Clearly not!

I left the queue to join Chris to see if he was going on the ride but he said he would stay. The others went without me as I just waved them on. I needed time to not show how much this had upset me.

They got taken through to the disabled loading bay.

B32146EF-CD69-45CF-AD0F-922E0559B1ED.jpeg

As the others got off the rides tempers were clearly high and my blood was still boiling. I was doing my best to hide it for the sake of my nephews.

Now whilst writing this you might wonder why I was so upset and obviously there were other things that happened but I just can’t believe someone would overreact so much when my sister had waited so long for a perfect holiday with both her children.

Anyhow we decided to jump on the peoplemover and my nephew and I attempted a moving purple wall picture

I think we failed!

5C3937CA-5142-4EDA-9F0A-8015773F1417.jpeg

We all made our way to find a spot for the fireworks.

I don’t think anyone wanted to be at the front in the hub so we headed to the back end of Main Street so we could make a relatively quick exit.

There was clearly some more arguing going on as my sister stayed to one side with her partner which really upset me as she certainly couldn’t see everything and my nephews stood with myself and Chris staring right down the middle of main street

While the fireworks were on I could see words being had and I cried - my nephews were laughing at me crying as Chris told them I cry at the fireworks (which I do). But tonight I was crying because of everything that had happened.

We finished watching the fireworks and headed out clearly without much enthusiasm and with a lot of tension

Hopefully tomorrow would be better - but was it?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom