Trip Report I still have a family (just) but what a totally different experience we had. ** completed

Hi my Disney friends

I’m back and to be honest it all feels like a total blur.

As the title suggests I do still have a family but there were some bumps in the road. I’ll share some details and thoughts as we go. Be warned though this won’t be like any of my other TR’s the magic whilst there was not as strong as previous trips and the whole pace was much slower. You might ask yourself where has Tracey gone? I asked myself the same thing - don’t get me wrong it was still fun and my nephews had the best time which was the main aim but some things that happened just took the gloss off.

I always used to look at big groups and imagine what fun it would be, but in truth it restricts a lot of things you do, everything happens much slower and not everything gets done - although I think I was probably the only one who noticed that.

Anyhow let’s start this......

So the background

This holiday as I mentioned in the PTR was the first for my sister in 14 years (a messy divorce left her to bring up my 2 nephews) my younger nephew had never been on a plane and my older nephew had only flown once when he was 2 (he doesn’t remember that)
We had booked it a year and a half beforehand for the whole family. Myself, Chris, sister her partner, 2 nephews, my brother and sister in law and my mum - 9 of us we’re going to Disney (they said Florida) but I knew different.

We were going from 19th Aug to 1st September 13 nights in a villa (you know I love POR) - we were trying to keep the cost down for my sister!

The WhatsApp group was in full use before we went - how much luggage can I take? Can I pack x in my hand luggage? Whose getting on TOT - we involve everyone in the pre holiday excitement.

Next up getting there - and some photos! (Sorry for the text heavy start)

Longers

Original Poster
A wonderful report despite all the drama! I can’t wait for the day that your nephew is a tumble monkey.. I’ll be sitting there cheering him on! 😉

I can’t wait for that day either - and obviously I have told him that he will need me living there with him as he can’t be there alone at only 16 years old (actually at any age I would tell him I need to be there too)

SharonD

Chiming in, as I’ve just finished your excellent report. I’ve been in charge of large family trips, and it IS DIFFICULT to stop worrying about everyone and occasionally let them take care of themselves. But, very impressed with all you managed to do - and you and your husband did keep the group together and facilitate a wonderful trip for your nephews. And you had the added complication of getting everyone to and from offsite accommodations - well done!

lindawdw

I appreciated your TR so much because it was so honest. Whenever you take a trip to WDW with large groups, there is usually someone that has their selfish moments and your TR was a relatable one because no family is perfect. I wish your sister's partner put the boys before his own needs. I'm glad that the boys created some magical moments together and with their mum too. Hope you and your DH get back to WDW together soon! :)

Longers

Original Poster
I enjoyed reading this! I love that your nephews had a wonderful time. You're an amazing aunt to them!!

Thank you - I’m just glad I managed to create some long lasting memories for them to treasure forever.

Chiming in, as I’ve just finished your excellent report. I’ve been in charge of large family trips, and it IS DIFFICULT to stop worrying about everyone and occasionally let them take care of themselves. But, very impressed with all you managed to do - and you and your husband did keep the group together and facilitate a wonderful trip for your nephews. And you had the added complication of getting everyone to and from offsite accommodations - well done!

Thank you - I’m not sure I would ever do it again - I am looking forward to our next trip with it just being the 2 of us!

I appreciated your TR so much because it was so honest. Whenever you take a trip to WDW with large groups, there is usually someone that has their selfish moments and your TR was a relatable one because no family is perfect. I wish your sister's partner put the boys before his own needs. I'm glad that the boys created some magical moments together and with their mum too. Hope you and your DH get back to WDW together soon! :)

Thank you for your kind comments. I must admit when the trip started I didn’t expect it would turn out as it did so this TR report was not what I expected to write. That said the boys had the best time so that’s what I am holding onto - I can of course go again (and I will). I can’t see them going anytime soon as my sister literally saved up forever for that trip.
Our next trip is not booked yet but it will be.

Longers

Original Poster
So due to a few comments I came back to this TR and thought I would give you a quick update! (And I changed the title to completed as I forgot)

We arrived back in the UK on 1st Sept - as you know I spoke to my sisters partner and had my say!

My brother and him still haven’t spoken and it’s been 3 months!
This is not what was meant to happen from this holiday.

My brother is stubborn but he hasn’t done anything wrong so he isn’t budging. And my sister partner thinks it’s my brothers fault - stalemate.

It’s going to come down to me again to sort but I’ve only been to visit once since our return too as I’ve been too busy.

Xmas could be interesting..........

lindawdw

So due to a few comments I came back to this TR and thought I would give you a quick update! (And I changed the title to completed as I forgot)

We arrived back in the UK on 1st Sept - as you know I spoke to my sisters partner and had my say!

My brother is stubborn but he hasn’t done anything wrong so he isn’t budging. And my sister partner thinks it’s my brothers fault - stalemate.

It’s going to come down to me again to sort but I’ve only been to visit once since our return too as I’ve been too busy.

Xmas could be interesting..........
Sounds like you're the peacemaker in this one which always seems to be my role in my family. I hope it all gets worked out for your sister's sake. Hope you have a Merry Christmas!

MinnieM123

Premium Member

It’s going to come down to me again to sort

So, here's an idea. Why not just let the two men sort it out? You put so much good energy into making everyone's trip a happy experience. You've done more than most people would. I say, let the guys figure it out, and you use your time to do something nice for yourself.

Longers

Original Poster
Sounds like you're the peacemaker in this one which always seems to be my role in my family. I hope it all gets worked out for your sister's sake. Hope you have a Merry Christmas!

Exactly I think my sister might be waiting for me rather than sorting it herself!
Happy Christmas to you too.

So, here's an idea. Why not just let the two men sort it out? You put so much good energy into making everyone's trip a happy experience. You've done more than most people would. I say, let the guys figure it out, and you use your time to do something nice for yourself.
I would love to do that but I am still thinking of my nephews. They have been through so much with my sisters divorce - they both live apart from each other with different parents I just want everything to be ok for Christmas.
I can’t see it being fixed before then though!
I’ve tried speaking on the phone to both my sister and brother but it’s not working and I know it would work better face to face (they live 1 1/2 hours away) so in the interim I’m just living my life away from it all.

I will get it sorted (eventually)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom