Trip Report I still have a family (just) but what a totally different experience we had. ** completed

Hi my Disney friends

I’m back and to be honest it all feels like a total blur.

As the title suggests I do still have a family but there were some bumps in the road. I’ll share some details and thoughts as we go. Be warned though this won’t be like any of my other TR’s the magic whilst there was not as strong as previous trips and the whole pace was much slower. You might ask yourself where has Tracey gone? I asked myself the same thing - don’t get me wrong it was still fun and my nephews had the best time which was the main aim but some things that happened just took the gloss off.

I always used to look at big groups and imagine what fun it would be, but in truth it restricts a lot of things you do, everything happens much slower and not everything gets done - although I think I was probably the only one who noticed that.

Anyhow let’s start this......

So the background

This holiday as I mentioned in the PTR was the first for my sister in 14 years (a messy divorce left her to bring up my 2 nephews) my younger nephew had never been on a plane and my older nephew had only flown once when he was 2 (he doesn’t remember that)
We had booked it a year and a half beforehand for the whole family. Myself, Chris, sister her partner, 2 nephews, my brother and sister in law and my mum - 9 of us we’re going to Disney (they said Florida) but I knew different.

We were going from 19th Aug to 1st September 13 nights in a villa (you know I love POR) - we were trying to keep the cost down for my sister!

The WhatsApp group was in full use before we went - how much luggage can I take? Can I pack x in my hand luggage? Whose getting on TOT - we involve everyone in the pre holiday excitement.

Next up getting there - and some photos! (Sorry for the text heavy start)

MoragL

I have been with a group of 4 and 5. Would prefer never to go with an odd number again. I am curious to read how a larger group navigated through the wonderful world of Disney...

youngdeb

Following along! Our last trip to WDW was a group of 10, so I totally know how you feel. I'm looking forward to our next trip just us 4.

Ariel1986

Count me as another who has been there! We were a group of 10. NEVER AGAIN! You realise how different you are to your family. Very stressful! I still love most of them lol, but nope no way nuh uh, I am nooot doing that ever again! Not in my happy place.

Know that when you return as yourselves again though, so does the magic & the slight shine that wore off your trip :)

Longers

Original Poster
Looking forward to it!!!! We did a big group trip with both my side and Matt’s side. I don’t think I would do it again lol....

I would certainly think twice before doing it again

Hi Tracey! I've been anxiously looking for your trip report, and thinking about you a lot, especially wondering if you were there during the hurricane scare! Welcome back:)

Hi Ruth - we made it out before the hurricane so all was good

I hate that I missed meeting you too but I am very excited to hear all about the BTMRR ride with @Tuvalu !

We had a lot of fun :D

Following along! We did a trip with a group of 7 in 2016 and I found myself one evening crying out of frustration in a stall of the restrooms by Casey's! There’s just something about big family trips apparently! 🤦🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️😂

I think it depends who goes from the family - I’ll explain more as the trip unfolds.

Yay welcome

Another happy reader here.

Welcome

I have been with a group of 4 and 5. Would prefer never to go with an odd number again. I am curious to read how a larger group navigated through the wonderful world of Disney...

It was certainly not as easy as the 2 of us.

Leave to run errands and miss the start of @Longers trip report! Late, but here!

Glad you made it

Following along! Our last trip to WDW was a group of 10, so I totally know how you feel. I'm looking forward to our next trip just us 4.

I’m looking forward to it just being myself and Chris.

I made it! 😂

Welcome

I’m very excited about reading your report!

I hope I don’t disappoint.

Oh i can't wait to hear how this goes!!

Not quite as I’d hoped.

Welcome

Hi
You not remember me
I used to post a lot
Hope it’s ok but I am going to try to follow along

Max

Of course I remember! Good to have you here

Yay

Following along. Interested to see how things went with such a large group!

Certainly different to just 2!

Count me as another who has been there! We were a group of 10. NEVER AGAIN! You realise how different you are to your family. Very stressful! I still love most of them lol, but nope no way nuh uh, I am nooot doing that ever again! Not in my happy place.

Know that when you return as yourselves again though, so does the magic & the slight shine that wore off your trip :)

This made me chuckle - lol

I'm glad to see your report has started. I'm looking forward to reading about your adventures.
Thanks

Longers

Original Poster
Monday 19th August - travel day

We woke around 5.30am - the other family members had I think just left. They had a cab pick them up and drive them to Gatwick.

We had a leisurely morning, showers etc and then made our way to drop the car off at the long stay car park.

As we got out of the car with the bags and we’re locking the car a Virgin Atlantic 747 literally went right above our head in to land. (I kicked myself for not having the camera out) my nephews face was a picture!

“That’s probably the plane we are flying on” we said to him. He was just in awe. His obviously seen planes in the sky but you forget having never gone to an airport his never been that close to a plane.

We couldn’t have timed the parking of the car any better.

We got on the bus to the terminal and found the rest of the family all waiting for us!

We had all logged in online the night before but it wouldn’t let my brother log in so as they had arrived before us he took the opportunity to check in.

We dropped the bags off and made our way through security and onto breakfast. We found somewhere to eat and then waited for our gate to be called.

We had booked and paid additional money for seats upstairs on the plane - as it was to be my nephews first flight we wanted to make it special.

We sent the boys to the front so the stewardess could say to them - “upstairs”.
As they were walking upstairs they were both grinning. It was so lovely to see them both together, laughing and just taking it all in.

I approached the air stewardess asking if the captain did finish his checks early could the boys go to the cockpit. She did say they didn’t normally do it until landing but she would see.

As luck would have it - they finished early.
She approached us and said they would have to go now. We hadn’t said anything to the boys so when we said quick come with us they both looked a bit stunned.

The result

3905844A-E511-4FF5-8D30-6DD44E05E399.jpeg

That was such a great start we thanked everyone for allowing it and we took our seats for take off

DD8C6B6D-8F79-4AD2-8DC4-1AEEE0015073.jpeg

Behind us my sister , younger nephew and partner
And behind them my brother SIL and mum.

Here we go.....

F23C15A6-62ED-4AD5-9603-835C28B39A20.jpeg

My nephew didn’t want a picture taken

F23CE5A8-EF4D-4DF5-9924-93F8615142E5.jpeg

I wasn’t having much luck

51FF2864-BA46-4B9F-AF9C-AD5D948B8F89.jpeg

The flight seemed to drag - we watched some films, talked a bit and enjoyed afternoon ice creams

3FF75951-7643-46B1-A8A2-A24BE14F8454.jpeg

They used to do Fab lollies which I was really looking forward to so Imagine my disappointment when these raspberry type lollies appeared. I obviously still had it and that was ice cream 1 for the holiday.

We landed in Orlando and joined an hour queue for customs and then as there was so much luggage on the carousel they had stopped it working and ours wasn’t there.

So we probably waited another 45 mins for luggage. My older nephew was really suffering with hayfever so a few of us were anxious and we were all tired.

We got the monorail and headed to the parking garage for the cars - now most of you who have read previous reports will know this is the only time myself and Chris argue. He gets so stressed in this garage for the perfect car. I decided to take a back seat and waited with the 9 suitcases to avoid the usual stress and argument.
There was the usual tension with him, couldn’t find a good car etc etc but we ended up with a big car to seat 7 so everyone was happy.

It took a while but it was finally decided and we were all in the cars with all the luggage on the way to our villa

CaliKris

I have not had much time lately to read trip reports, but I have been checking for yours to start! I don't know you, but yet I feel like I do. In August, I found myself wondering how you were doing with the family, how it was being off property, and dealing with the heat and potential hurricane headed to Florida. I just love the joy that Disney brings you and it comes through in your writing. I enjoy reading your trip reports. I am so glad you are writing one!

Longers

Original Poster
I have not had much time lately to read trip reports, but I have been checking for yours to start! I don't know you, but yet I feel like I do. In August, I found myself wondering how you were doing with the family, how it was being off property, and dealing with the heat and potential hurricane headed to Florida. I just love the joy that Disney brings you and it comes through in your writing. I enjoy reading your trip reports. I am so glad you are writing one!

Ah thank you - I feel like I know a lot of people on here too - it’s like an extended Disney family all of us with the same passion. It’s nice to know that the time writing a report is appreciated.
I’m glad your here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom