I know it's wrong, and I feel bad for it, but I admit I judge people for...

Status
Not open for further replies.

musketeer

Original Poster
...having leashes on their kids. It isn't a conscience thing, and I immediately realize that I'm doing it and stop, but I do look at people and judge them negatively for it. I have twin 4 1/2 year olds. I've had them at Disney, Sea World, Busch Gardens, Sesame Place, Cedar Point, etc etc etc and I never had a need to put them on a leash. That's how I justify not feeling TOO guilty for judging them.

Again, I know it's wrong, and it's just a reaction that I quickly realize is wrong and I even tell myself it's wrong. But it's something that I do.

CaptainessKylie

I was on a leash as a kid and I'm fine! Why is it an issue?
I used to get distracted and walk away all the time, and disappear into crowds, this greatly stopped that problem and it wasn't due to parenting, I'm the middle child and the only one that had the problem of getting lost.

My 18 month old is very independant and likes to make a run for it whenever she can. I take her to the parks all the time but she hates being in the stroller, I'm just about to click buy for a "leash", and I can assure you its not because my child is a bad child or because I'm a bad parent. Judge away but don't be upset when you are judged for something you do parenting wise :)

Sweet Melissa

I don't have kids, so I don't know what I would have to do to keep track of them. I know that I would do what I felt was right to keep them safe, though. And that sometimes holding hands is not enough. It's not that different than people who shove their kids into strollers to contain them.

Our home's original owners took their family to Disneyland when the park was new and their youngest was 4 or 5. They were across the street when the boy spotted the park for the first time. He got so excited that he slipped from his mom's hand and darted in to traffic. He was hit by a car and died. Can you imagine? This obviously was decades ago, but his parents and siblings were fans of the leashes when they became popular.

Disnee4Me

I believe the leash I had for my DS had Mickey on it (just about everything he had as a baby/child did). We didn't use it a lot but just whenever we felt there was big crowds around and he could easily disappear.

Weather_Lady

...having leashes on their kids. It isn't a conscience thing, and I immediately realize that I'm doing it and stop, but I do look at people and judge them negatively for it. I have twin 4 1/2 year olds. I've had them at Disney, Sea World, Busch Gardens, Sesame Place, Cedar Point, etc etc etc and I never had a need to put them on a leash. That's how I justify not feeling TOO guilty for judging them.

Again, I know it's wrong, and it's just a reaction that I quickly realize is wrong and I even tell myself it's wrong. But it's something that I do.

Essentially, you're falling victim to what may of us do: judging people because they are not like us. Clearly your 4 1/2-year-old twins are nicely behaved and don't need to be restrained to stay with you. My children are similarly good about staying with us. On the other end of the spectrum, I have a friend whose son suffers from several disorders which affect his impulse control. He'll see something he likes, wriggle out of her grasp (kicking and biting if necessary) and tear off after it like a shot. He runs like the wind: in a crowd, he can disappear instantly. Without a leash, she couldn't take him anywhere safely. With the leash, both of them can have a nice time somewhere and the worst thing they have to endure is the eye rolls of people who just don't "get it."

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member

Don't feel guilty for judging me. I couldn't give a crap about what you think of me.

Goofycanuck

As the saying goes....Don't judge a book by its cover. Just be thankful that your children don't have any type of underlying condition that warrants the use of a leash/harness. I can assure you that some situations are in the childs best interest and not from the lack of parental skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom