I know it's wrong, and I feel bad for it, but I admit I judge people for...

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCheatle

I had to wear a leash as a kid! I ran away from my parents at Disney World. I actually have a faint memory of it. I wanted a drink of water, and took off to get it. My parents found me like 3 hours later riding the carousel! After that, they put me on a leash. It was just for the rest of that trip, but in the end, well...I think I turned out okay???

I look at parents now who do that and I'm torn. Having been the kid on the leash, I see the need for it in certain situations. But, I find it hard to believe that all of the kids on the leashes actually need them?? There are sooo many! There are definitely kids who wander and need them for their own safety. But, given the amount of them, I think there are some parents who use them when they probably shouldn't.

SRisonS

Before I became a father, I definitely frowned down on them. But now that I am a dad, and tend to hear quite a bit about how some kids behave, I'm a little more understanding. But I think it's probably a little more overdone in the parks. Most of the kids I see with them seem very well behaved.... Some, not so much.

EOD K9

I don't have a problem with kiddie leashes, it's the choker collars that I don't like.
Chokers work wonders. On another note, in about 5 months I will be parents of twins, and as of now, I don't see a problem with a leash tether. It allows the child some mobility, without having to hold the parents' hand. I'll get back to all of you on this when my girls start walking.

JohnD

I know it's wrong, and I feel bad for it, but I admit I judge people for...

Going back to the title of the thread, if you were looking for ways to complete that sentence, here goes: Their size, particularly if they need to drive around in a scooter. I know, I know, there could be medical issues, etc. But "I know it's wrong and I feel bad for it"

DJMoore2011

I am torn, some children need them due to underlying conditions that we don't know about or could even dream about. Those I understand and you can see them pulling trying to go where THEY want or what they've seen.

There are other children that look well behaved but on leashes I kinda wondered why especially when watching them the never strayed from the parents.

I am not sure if I could do that to my kids if they were little. I was lucky while my Daughter liked to wonder off when she was walking, she liked being in her stroller better. And I am not talking about one of the big ones. Just a small umbrella one she could sit in and watch the world. She has some issues that makes it hard for her to understand impulse control, even now at 19 years old we are still working with her. My Son on the other hand, loved to walk and hold my hand when he was little. So no worries about him wondering off.

It all boils down to this: a parent has to do what is right for their families safety. What others think is what they think and it's rare you can change their opinion.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Before I became a father, I definitely frowned down on them. But now that I am a dad, and tend to hear quite a bit about how some kids behave, I'm a little more understanding. But I think it's probably a little more overdone in the parks. Most of the kids I see with them seem very well behaved.... Some, not so much.
Same thing happened to me. I had all these grand ideas of what my kids would and would not do. Then I actually had kids and all that high and mighty fairy tale crap went right out the window.

I have been lucky in that none of my kids needed them, but I have plenty of friends that were not so fortunate. I was witness to one of those monkey back pack leashes saving my friends' son from being under a city bus, so they do have their place. I have also seen people who use them because they are paranoid of someone swiping their kid.

Disneyfamily4

I was on a leash all the time growing up. But it was not my fault. All these stupid neighborhood cats, bunnies and squirrels kept walking around in my neighborhood so I kept running away trying to rip them apart.

Sincerely,
Grover.

EOD K9

Makes you look like a lazy parent. Doesn't matter the logic, many people will be thinking that and saying that about you.
And I realize your reply, but as another poster said, I don't care what others are thinking. If I cared about what others are thinking about me, I probably wouldn't be able to get through the day.

Obi

we would've had my youngest grandniece on a leash while in wdw, but since there were 5 adults there, we felt we had enough supervision to keep a close eye on her. if it would've been just a couple of adults, she would've definitely been on a leash. she has no fear and has a high impulse to go and do whatever. she tried, several times, to go off and do her own thing, but one of us managed to keep her from getting away.

Pixie VaVoom

Hell's bells - I would like to have one to put on my MOTHER !! For a 72 year old overweight woman with a bum knee, when we go shopping - I can lose her faster than I can say "charge it please". I would LOVE to know that all I have to do is wind the cord backwards and at the other end would be my dear mother. She darts off at least ONCE every store we shop at. She looks at EVERYTHING !! I might as well just give it up at WalMart !! If she wanders out of the short racks at Ross or J C Penneys- I abandon all hope !! I once lost her for 20 minutes at the Amusement park "Silver Dollar City" in Branson...Where did I find her??? She was out behind one of their outdoor grill huts - swapping recipes with the granny !! (she did get a good one for succotash, though)

Heck with Kid leashes - I want one fo rmy MOTHER !!

luv

Having a child on a leash is a personal decision. I don't think I the children suffer for it. It's really not a bad idea for taller people who don't want to hunch down, holding a little hand. Saves the back! I'm a little pro-leash, since it can help and isn't harmful.

It can become a problem when the parents allow the kids to wander a bit without watching the child's surrounding. Other people get held up by the leash. Someone who wasn't looking down low enough could trip.

If you use a leash, you need to pay even more attention to the child, not less! :)

Mawg

I wonder if they could use the new bracelets for tracking your child. Maybe even issue an in-park Amber alert so if the child tries to leave the park with the bracelet an alarm goes off or if it is noticed that a child leaving a park does not have one security could ask to see it. just thinking out loud, Probably wouldn't work and cause too much guest inconvenience as kids probably go missing all the time for a few minutes to an hour....Best to just but a leash on them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom