I know it's been said but the pixie dust is going away fast for me.

sublimesting

Original Poster
To be honest Disney is starting to lose a lot of it's charm and pixie dust for me. I hate typing that out but they are rapidly evolving into just another business following the business model of make as much cash as possible as quickly as possible. Strip it all down, if it doesn't turn a profit get rid of it, if one person is willing to give us an inconsequential profit then damn the other 100,000 people....it's all pure mathematics and nothing more. But they fail so badly to grasp what their true product is. And in doing so they alienate more and more of the fan base. Eventually true Disney fans will erode away and be gone. What will remain are those people that come every few years but spend a lot. Gone will be people that loved Disney for the quality, well done rides in favor of "fancy technology" like computer screens. Gone will be people that loved the Polynesian's fountain and bay view for people who never knew those existed and say "Wow honey imagine if we save up enough we can stay in a bungalow and get a bay view and SEE THE MAGIC KINGDOM FROM HERE!". Gone are those of us who enjoyed multiple, park hopping fast passes for those that will enjoy the "FREE" 3 fast passes.
Sadly Disney has become another business where share holders and the rich drive every last decision. Make money money money money!!!!! As much as I can get my hands on because I care absolutely nothing for your parks, your movies, your memories and dreams or even your product at all. I've never been to Disney in my life and never will go BUT I want it to make me as much money as possible right now!!!
Walt has got to be hating what his company has become. It's not a playground anymore for Daddy's and their little girls. It's a cash cow for the rich to get richer and nothing more.

Uncle Remus

eh. I guess its what you make of it. I have a 12 year old daughter, a 7 year old son, a 6 year old daughter and a soon to be 5 year old son. It's just as magical as ever for us. Maybe its because they are so young and we see it through their eyes. I get some of what youre saying. There is room for improvement but it's still our "happy place"

rsoxguy

I have been going to WDW parks for the past 25 years or so with varying degrees of regularity. I have owned many annual passes, and I have stayed away for as long as a year and a half, give or take a few months. I must say that I have never experienced this pixie dust or magic that everyone is always clamoring about on this forum. Pixie dust and magic are corporate marketing tools, not realities within life. I am always somewhat befuddled by some of the things said on this forum, particularly when others speak of things such as their offense at someone mislabeling an attraction or stating that the park in Florida is Disneyland. This level of personal association with a corporate theme park is, in my humble opinion, socially and emotionally unhealthy. I have gone to WDW as often, if not more often, than many people here. I, however, prefer to see it for what it is; a nifty little place that functions for the sake of making money while entertaining others. The rest is just a matter of corporate marketing and consumer gullibility. I will stop going to WDW when I finally grow tired of waning quality and comparatively exorbitant pricing. Until that ever widening line is finally reached, I will continue to view it as a place that offers fairly clean-cut and well themed entertainment while providing an opportunity to spend time with my family in a place that offers good memories while also building new ones. I do not require pixie dust or magic, but my need for value will indeed be the judge of future participation in all things Disney. If I may employ the use of candor, Walt's opinion is inconsequential. My opinion is all that matters to me.

The Tuna

I don't get all the negativity. I have gone almost every year for the past 15 years and I love it just as much every time I go. First without kids and now with or without them, it's still the best place in the world. I loved Horizons, and World of Motion, I have their old symbols tattooed on me. But that doesn't mean because they got ripped out my childhood did as well. Alot of rides I loved are gone but new things have come along which blow my mind and that of my inner child. When I first saw Turtle Talk with Crush I thought how in awe I would have been at 8 years old. When I took my son and he was talking with Crush he acted exactly as I thought I would have. Crush was alive and real. When I go on Expedition Everest and I see the Yeti for the first time I almost mess my pants because it is huge and scary looking. I went on it when he moved and wasn't disco yeti and loved it, but I love it still, it doesn't change the fun of the ride or derail the story. Last year I thought he was fixed and moving but he wasn't. For the amount of time you see him it doesn't really ruin things.

Broken light bulbs, chips of paint, and the odd broken animatronic won't ruin a trip for me. I have had a few experiences where I look and see an extinct dinosaur where one was on my last trip, and I have seen animatronics that don't move that once did, but if you focus on that you miss out on why you went there in the first place. Vacation. A vacation from regular life, from work, from coworkers, from household chores. You went to be with your family in a place designed just for that. Yes Disney is a corporation, and yes they are out for profit as is every other company. If they don't make money then the place doesn't exist.

Would I love a new state of the art ride every year? yes. Would I like everything in 100% perfect running order every time I visit? Hell yes. But being there, walking around, hearing the music, watching fireworks, riding the rides and being with my kids and watching them loving what I love is what it is about, always has been about, and always will be about.

I hope you find your happy place again, wherever that may be. It is what you make of it.

DVC4bestvacations

I have been going to WDW parks for the past 25 years or so with varying degrees of regularity. I have owned many annual passes, and I have stayed away for as long as a year and a half, give or take a few months. I must say that I have never experienced this pixie dust or magic that everyone is always clamoring about on this forum. Pixie dust and magic are corporate marketing tools, not realities within life. I am always somewhat befuddled by some of the things said on this forum, particularly when others speak of things such as their offense at someone mislabeling an attraction or stating that the park in Florida is Disneyland. This level of personal association with a corporate theme park is, in my humble opinion, socially and emotionally unhealthy. I have gone to WDW as often, if not more often, than many people here. I, however, prefer to see it for what it is; a nifty little place that functions for the sake of making money while entertaining others. The rest is just a matter of corporate marketing and consumer gullibility. I will stop going to WDW when I finally grow tired of waning quality and comparatively exorbitant pricing. Until that ever widening line is finally reached, I will continue to view it as a place that offers fairly clean-cut and well themed entertainment while providing an opportunity to spend time with my family in a place that offers good memories while also building new ones. I do not require pixie dust or magic, but my need for value will indeed be the judge of future participation in all things Disney. If I may employ the use of candor, Walt's opinion is inconsequential. My opinion is all that matters to me.

Although I don't always agree with your posts. This time you're spot on. Up until the early 90's Disney did a good job making you feel it was not about money. Now there is no doubt it's all about the money. I see more time passing between our WDW vacations 5 maybe 6 years at the least.

Goofyernmost

eh. I guess its what you make of it. I have a 12 year old daughter, a 7 year old son, a 6 year old daughter and a soon to be 5 year old son. It's just as magical as ever for us. Maybe its because they are so young and we see it through their eyes. I get some of what youre saying. There is room for improvement but it's still our "happy place"
You know, that has been said many, many times. "See it through their eyes", well, OK but I don't think I have ever seen it through their eyes, I have seen it through mine. I started at a later date, I was 35 years old, but even then with a 6 and 8 year old in tow, that's not how it worked for me. In fact, quite the contrary, they saw it through my eyes. It was my enthusiasm that influenced them back then and to a much lesser degree, still does.

It sounds kind of cold, but, if I hadn't seen the magic for myself, we probably would never have gone again. Now that I'm old, on my own, I still go there usually once a year. I go by myself and I still love it. I haven't had their eyes to look through for many years now, however, it is different. I have been vocal about how a lot of the magic is gone. It's not anything you can see it's a feeling in the air. Without that feeling the experience is less enjoyable. It's was almost electric.

I have stated that my fear is that the electricity that once was Disney's alone took an invisible monorail up the road to Universal. I say that because after many years of not visiting Uni, I went there this year and there was that feeling, it was there. I don't know if it's just imaginary or not, but I do know that empty attraction buildings, closed restaurants, bored looking CM's and almost nothing new to see has taken it's toll on me. You have no idea how much I hate saying that, but, through my eyes, it has happened.

Stu29573

I left another forum because I was crucified for saying this very thing. Yes, I know Disney is a business. Yes, I know there is no such thing as "magic." The point is; there used to be. The magic was the effort the company put forth to put out a product far above anyone elses. The magic was the care and respect they had for every one of their guests. The magic was how they made you think it wasnt about the money as much as it was about quality. This isnt doom and gloom. This is a wish to return to a business ethic that made the company great.

tare

We still have so much fun and love love disney. But the service has gone downhill to an extent and I think it was run much better when Michael Eisner was CEO. With that said we still go every year if not twice and still continue to give $$ to disney.

sublimesting

Original Poster
We go every year and will for the forseeablefuture as we have a 3 year old. She's a Disney nut like her Mom and Dad. But I have seen in the last decade how things have declined. It's not the little stuff either like chips of paint or broken lights. It's the big stuff like the night time parade at Magic Kingdom, the ever dwindling holiday offerings like the abbreviated less spectacular Hallowishes and the Lights of Winter going by the wayside, the broken yeti, the excruciatingly long time it seems to take them to announce and then finally build a new project compared to, oh...everyone else in the world who builds anything, talk of losing the Polynesian fountain, sunset point and water view for bungalows, the dwindling operating/extra magic hours, the downgrade of attractions such as JIYI or elimination to empty buildings such as WOL or AC or the cost cutting to save a buck on SM, SE.
We get less quality, less time to do it in, and less to do BUT they increase ticket prices way past the rate of inflation. It's beyond an affordable place for families to go and spend time together. It's now a luxury vacation destination for those of us who either have enough money to blow or save up enough to blow. I know that can be said of any vacation but not to this excessive amount. When you figure out ticket prices and parking for a day and factor in that you ride about 19-20 rides per 13 hour day that's about $6/attraction. Kind of stings wen you look at it like that. But it used to be less money and it used to be offset with loads of extras and intagiables. These are being taken away for more profit.

George1995

While it is fairly obvious that WDW in many ways is not as high quality of a place that it used to be, in my opinion is still far superior to any other theme parks. This being said, I've never been to Universal so I can't really compare the two but in my opinion it's the little things in WDW that make the experience better for me. For example I love some of the interactive queues that they have put in. I love that if I'm waiting in an hour and a half line for Space Mountain, I can entertain myself a little bit with little games on the side of the line. I don't know of anywhere else where something like this exists. While I know that some things in Disney are definitely starting to deteriorate, I like to focus more on what still is great about Disney World.

PUSH

I don't see how someone pointing out the flaws is doom & glooming. This is a discussion board, and people are allowed to express their opinions.

As for the actual topic itself, I agree with the OP. Disney is losing some of it's "pixie dust" (I use that term roughly because it's not real...). I've been one who had always wanted to go to the World no matter what. And lately, especially since my last trip, I haven't been ready to go back. In June I saw more CMs who were cranky and just trying to earn some money. I saw a large amount of attraction breakdowns that I had never seen before. I saw a stale product. All of this while the price rises. If you're raising the prices, and I'm paying $4,000 for a vacation, there shouldn't to be dust on Soarin's projector. There shouldn't be chipped paint everywhere. There shouldn't be mold on the walls. All this, plus more, adds up to me having no real interest in going back for a while. I honestly want to go to Universal over WDW right now, and I think if you all really think about it, it's not really a terrible idea.

You may now call me a doom & gloomer and shun me for expressing my opinion.

DMut

When I think back to all my visits as a kid and young adult, I try to remember what it was that made it so special. I think it was the level of detail, and the immersion. On my last trip, as I raced around with my fast passes trying to get everything in, I realized how much the FP was taking away from the "magic" I remember. Look, no one wants to wait on long lines, but there was something to be said about the anticipation. As you rounded corners, seeing the next bit of the pre-show or story, trying to figure out just how much longer the wait would be. And when you got on that ride, it was worth it! I remember always thinking how amazing ToT was, not just for the ride, but when you first get into the lobby of the hotel and see the detail the Imagineers put into the place. Knowing the backstory, and seeing putting it together with the visuals made the ride, and even the wait, way more special. Now, I use a fastpass, and just blow right through all that. Same for Star Tours, Everest, Test Track, etc. Of course I am glad to not have to wait on lines, but now my trips feel more like any other theme park as opposed to this "magical" place. And as others have said, seeing empty buildings and even empty food carts make the place seem like its no longer "fresh", even if there are a few more attractions.

That being said, last year, I took my then 2 and 4 year olds for the first time. We took the boat from WL to MK on the first day, and the excitement and anticipation in their eyes from the moment we got on til we docked and walked to the entrance was one of the best moments I have had with them. Watching my daughter hug Belle, her favorite princess and my son go nuts to meet Donald showed me that while adults who have been going for years may notice a difference, to the little ones, the place is just as special as its always been. WE are going back next month, and the kids have not stopped talking about it. Everyday, they want to start to get ready. They want to pack. They are picking out outfits to wear to meet their favorite characters. They are drawing pictures to give to them. THATS whats its all about to me now. So yes, to ME, the dust has faded, but looking through the eyes of my children, its still there and going strong. Isn't that all that really matters?

WDWLOYAL1971

Yes, not all is as it was back in the day, however, Disney is growing with the times and so has it's attendance, making it quite difficult if not impossible to successfully please every single guest. Though I am aware we all pay plenty to visit WDW, I don't depend on them to define that magical moment for us. I feel I too have to create that magical moment, put that amazing smile on my DD face. I have encountered CM that are a hoot and some that have no CM skills what so ever. I have noticed things in need of a paint redo or a simple dusting, however to us visiting WDW is more than the paint, the dust or the CM's. It's always only about US!

disney4life2008

I somewhat agree with you - though with time always comes changes. I have been going to WDW yearly since 1994. Back in 1994 - I remember the type of crowd that was there. I remember alot of international visitors (especially those from Asia and the UK) as well as middle and upper class Americas. Back then - you had to afford to be able to go to WDW. Up until at least 2005 - if you could afford to go to WDW - you were part of a special club. Today, pretty much anyone and everyone is going (not that this is bad).

I have made it clear that I am not happy about the MM+ and FP+ enhancements. However, I am eagerly looking forward to seeing it be rolled out in the coming months.

I am distraught that Spectromagic will never return. For me - to watch spectromagic on my 1st and last night was worth the trip to WDW alone. I understand a new parade may come eventually but nothing can ever replace spectromagic.

However, I am still dedicated and will be returning in January.

Uncle Remus

You know, that has been said many, many times. "See it through their eyes", well, OK but I don't think I have ever seen it through their eyes, I have seen it through mine. I started at a later date, I was 35 years old, but even then with a 6 and 8 year old in tow, that's not how it worked for me. In fact, quite the contrary, they saw it through my eyes. It was my enthusiasm that influenced them back then and to a much lesser degree, still does.

It sounds kind of cold, but, if I hadn't seen the magic for myself, we probably would never have gone again. Now that I'm old, on my own, I still go there usually once a year. I go by myself and I still love it. I haven't had their eyes to look through for many years now, however, it is different. I have been vocal about how a lot of the magic is gone. It's not anything you can see it's a feeling in the air. Without that feeling the experience is less enjoyable. It's was almost electric.

I have stated that my fear is that the electricity that once was Disney's alone took an invisible monorail up the road to Universal. I say that because after many years of not visiting Uni, I went there this year and there was that feeling, it was there. I don't know if it's just imaginary or not, but I do know that empty attraction buildings, closed restaurants, bored looking CM's and almost nothing new to see has taken it's toll on me. You have no idea how much I hate saying that, but, through my eyes, it has happened.

Makes sense. If I hadn't grown up going to Disney I very well might feel the same way. I guess the point I'm trying to make when I say "see it through their eyes" is that I know the emotions they're experiencing. I went when I was 4 and every year since. So I can relate to them from that standpoint. If I hadn't gone until I was an adult it more than likely would be an entirely different place and experience for me

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom