I just found out....mind blown.

Goofyernmost

It still blows my mind that Disney chose in the late '80's to make a a major E-ticket themed off of Song of the South.
Actually, it has the music from "Song of the South", but, it is really themed off The Uncle Remus Stories which existed long before SotS was ever made. It's the music that everyone is familiar with. Have a Zip A Dee Doo Dah Day. That is why we have it. The movie was filled with stereotypes and deservedly not approved by a big group of people. Since the movie had been out of circulation for many years, they figured that the story of Brer Rabbit along with music that was not stereotypical would be OK. For the most part, they were correct. You really have to use a lot of imagination to connect the story line of SotS with the ride since the literature is really the basis and was only the cartoon part of the movie. In other words, if the movie had never existed the ride could still exist with different music.

BasiltheBatLord

Actually, it has the music from "Song of the South", but, it is really themed off The Uncle Remus Stories which existed long before SotS was ever made. It's the music that everyone is familiar with. Have a Zip A Dee Doo Dah Day. That is why we have it. The movie was filled with stereotypes and deservedly not approved by a big group of people. Since the movie had been out of circulation for many years, they figured that the story of Brer Rabbit along with music that was not stereotypical would be OK. For the most part, they were correct. You really have to use a lot of imagination to connect the story line of SotS with the ride since the literature is really the basis and was only the cartoon part of the movie. In other words, if the movie had never existed the ride could still exist with different music.

Yeah I know it's just the cartoon part of the movie. Imagine the outrage if there was an Uncle Remus animatronic in the ride (although they basically substitute B'rer Frog for Remus in the WDW version)

Don't get me wrong I love that Splash Mountain exists given that it's the only lifeline that Song of the South has these days (aside from some of the video games) but I've just always thought it was odd that Disney, for one of its biggest E-tickets ever, chose a property that company policy has generally dictated for years that they shouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

I've just always thought it was odd that Disney, for one of its biggest E-tickets ever, chose a property that company policy has generally dictated for years that they should not touch with a 10 foot pole.
Song of the South had a relatively successful theatrical rerelease in 1986. The film was not yet banished to the Vault when Splash Mountain was initially approved and built.

BasiltheBatLord

Song of the South had a relatively successful theatrical rerelease in 1986. The film was not yet banished to the Vault when Splash Mountain was initially approved and built.
That's interesting considering that the NAACP came out swinging against it as soon as it was first released. I guess the company's current blackout of SotS came about as PC culture began ramping up in the '90's? I certainly hope that Splash's current theme doesn't one day become a victim of that rapidly intensifying culture, as happened to the red head.

Anyway let's get this thread back on topic, I'm sure these forums have seen countless SotS arguments over the years and don't need anymore.

Jedi Stitch

That there used to be boat rides at Animal Kingdom, that gave you a glimpse to a possible beastly kingdom. That there were animontronics and thrill ride portion of the safari.

Jedi Stitch

Ever watch the Rosanne episode where they go to WDW. At the time was MK and EPCOT. That episode made me think Disney Characters would just walk up to you and great you. Dan Conners was the first man to Drink Around the World.

EricTheRed

Ever watch the Rosanne episode where they go to WDW. At the time was MK and EPCOT. That episode made me think Disney Characters would just walk up to you and great you. Dan Conners was the first man to Drink Around the World.

I watched that episode just last week! Lots of fun, but it has one of those "park hopping" premises where they made MK and EPCOT into one park. While Dan is drinking around the world in EPCOT the rest of the gang is enjoying MK. Roseanne then just happens to bump into him in Germany. *Shrug*

MrConbon

The ride is still based of Song of the South though. If you watch any of the Disney documentaries where they talk about Splash Mountain they will mention it’s based off the Disney film Song of the South not off Uncle Remus Stories.

Goofyernmost

The ride is still based of Song of the South though. If you watch any of the Disney documentaries where they talk about Splash Mountain they will mention it’s based off the Disney film Song of the South not off Uncle Remus Stories.
They mention it, but, it just isn't true. Splash mountain could have been made if SotS never existed because that part of the movie was directly from Uncle Remus Stories. I'm not sure how that can be denied. None of the characters of the live action part are anywhere to be found. It is easier and, so much more newsworthy, to claim that it is based on SotS. Way to much explaining has to be done to see it from the reality point. So, if you want to believe that it is based on SotS, I will never convince you otherwise, but, other then the songs used its base has nothing at all to do with the movie. SotS isn't even in the name of the attraction. It's so easy not to recognize the literary connection, and go with the talking points. Simply put, years ago Disney created a movie based on the U.R. Stories (the cartoon parts are the UR connection) Many years later Disney created a park attraction based on the U.R. Stories (the show scenes and the story lines are the UR connection). And there is no other connection other then music, which theoretically could have been composed without ever having the movie..

MrConbon

They mention it, but, it just isn't true. Splash mountain could have been made if SotS never existed because that part of the movie was directly from Uncle Remus Stories. I'm not sure how that can be denied. None of the characters of the live action part are anywhere to be found. It is easier and, so much more newsworthy, to claim that it is based on SotS. Way to much explaining has to be done to see it from the reality point. So, if you want to believe that it is based on SotS, I will never convince you otherwise, but, other then the songs used its base has nothing at all to do with the movie. SotS isn't even in the name of the attraction. It's so easy not to recognize the literary connection, and go with the talking points. Simply put, years ago Disney created a movie based on the U.R. Stories (the cartoon parts are the UR connection) Many years later Disney created a park attraction based on the U.R. Stories (the show scenes and the story lines are the UR connection). And there is no other connection other then music, which theoretically could have been composed without ever having the movie..

How can Disney themselves say that Splash Moutnain is based off Song of The South and you say it’s not true? The first sentence in the Wikipedia page even says it’s based off Song of The South. The story of Song of The South is based off Uncle Remus however the ride is inspired from the film. That would be like saying Frozen Ever After is not based off Frozen but really The Snow Queen by Hans Anderson.

disneyworlddad

How can Disney themselves say that Splash Moutnain is based off Song of The South and you say it’s not true? The first sentence in the Wikipedia page even says it’s based off Song of The South. The story of Song of The South is based off Uncle Remus however the ride is inspired from the film. That would be like saying Frozen Ever After is not based off Frozen but really The Snow Queen by Hans Anderson.

So you are citing Wikipedia as a reliable source? I"m not saying Splash and Song of the South aren't connected but come on.

MrConbon

So you are citing Wikipedia as a reliable source? I"m not saying Splash and Song of the South aren't connected but come on.

I’m just saying it’s a common known fact that Splash Mountain is based on Song of the South that it’s even in the first sentence of the Wikipedia entry and not a hidden detail like how some people don’t know that Space Mountain is based off the film Mission to Mars.

Bairstow

Saying that "Frozen" is based off of "The Snow Queen" is already a stretch and a half.
"Inspired by" is probably more accurate.

Bairstow

I’m just saying it’s a common known fact that Splash Mountain is based on Song of the South that it’s even in the first sentence of the Wikipedia entry and not a hidden detail like how some people don’t know that Space Mountain is based off the film Mission to Mars.
I thought it was "Mars Needs Moms".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom