I just bought my FIRST EVER DISNEY SNOWGLOBE But . . .

FairytaleMagic

Original Poster
I just bought my FIRST EVER DISNEY SNOWGLOBE yesterday!:sohappy:
Unfortunately, I just saw the Disney Catalog website that says they're having a sale everyday! I found that I could've saved $5 on that snowglobe today! :mad::cry: Is this the first time that Disney ever offered a 7 day sale? If Disney does this often, do you know if there will be a discount on snowglobes? I assume that the special sale can be combined with the free shipping and handling that I did receive.

Oh by the way, It's the Waltzing Princesses snowglobe. Yay.
I've been waiting for a snowglobe with more than 4 princesses on it. In the past they always sold golbes with Cinderella, Belle, Snow White, and Sleeping Beauty. But NO Ariel. This one has Ariel! :sohappy:

Becky

Just checked. If you had used the special $5 off for the Snow Globe you would have had to pay shipping. It is in the fine print.

I bet the shipping would have been more than $5.:eek:

Scooter

My wife and I collect the Musical Disney Snowglobes.

We have 21 displayed on a wall in a spare bedroom.

I see no end to this :hammer:

The ones that don't sell real well usually go on sale after a while.
Unfortunately you never know what's going to be hot or not.

If we see one we really like we buy it ASAP before it is sold out.
More than once the one we bought went on sale later. :(

We saw one we really wanted in a Disney Catalog but it was already out of stock when we tried to order it. It was one of Mickey on a rocket and it said Tommorrowland on it. I'm keeping my eye out for it on EBAY.

ALSO: I reccomend that you buy these at your local Disney Store rather than online or having them shipped from The Disney Parks.
They have alot of detail on them and more than once they have arrived via UPS and showed up damaged. Then we had to ship them back and wait for a replacement.:cry:

They're fun to collect but can run into some serious money.

Taking them all down and DUSTING them isn't much fun either.:hammer: :lookaroun :zipit:

FairytaleMagic

Original Poster
Originally posted by Scooter
ALSO: I reccomend that you buy these at your local Disney Store rather than online or having them shipped from The Disney Parks.
They have alot of detail on them and more than once they have arrived via UPS and showed up damaged. Then we had to ship them back and wait for a replacement.:cry:

Taking them all down and DUSTING them isn't much fun either.:hammer: :lookaroun :zipit:

Darn! I knew I should've went to the Disney store to buy it. I ordered it through the catalog. This one has all of the princesses twirling around on it,too. Which means very detailed and very fragile! Well if it is broken when I receive it, I will definitely return it to the Disney store and exchange it on the spot!
21 SNOWGLOBES! WOW! I could only afford 1! At $79 it's way too expensive for me to build a snowglobe collection! You get snowglobes from the park? The globes at the park are REALLY nice, but I just stare at them with a faraway look and a smile :D :dazzle:(At that moment I'm imagining that I'm winding it up to play and I'm admiring the work of art for years to come and then I'd pass it along to future grandchildren) and when I check the $100+ price tag, a tear comes to my eye (because I can't afford it on my penny budget) and I move on.Ah well.
I've always wanted a Disney snowglobe since I was little and now I finally have one. :sohappy:

EchoOfOphelia

Originally posted by Scooter
My wife and I collect the Musical Disney Snowglobes.

We have 21 displayed on a wall in a spare bedroom.

I see no end to this :hammer:

Wow, 21!!! That's fantastic. I currently have 6 snowglobes, I just love them. But most are expensive so I usually ask for them as gifts instead of buying them for myself. I'll bet that wall looks fantastic! I've been wondering where exactly to display mine.

Scooter

Did I say we had 21 Musical snowglobes?

I was wrong ...we have 22 :hammer:

My wife ordered another one yesterday....it's one of Belle from Beauty and The Beast.

This Disney Credit card is gonna kill me...:lol:

wdwforus

We have bought our girls a couple of globes each and they both brought one back form our trip last April. I have also had good luck on ebay without any breakage but dont think I would press my luck. I am hoping that I am starting a little collecting tradition for them. The older one loves Cinderella and the younger its Aurora.

FairytaleMagic

Original Poster
Originally posted by jaimjaim25
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthre...15&highlight=what do you collect&pagenumber=2

check out my pictures of all my snowglobes

can't figure out why i cant paste them in this post, when i could in the other....

I really like the Lady and the Tramp snowglobe. What's the one near the back with Donald and Mickey? I've never seen that one before.

I can't help but notice that you have an extensive Disney video collection,too. Impressive. Right now I'm waiting for the Disney Princess videos on DVD. I have Belle on DVD. Sleeping Beauty is supposed to come out on DVD during the summer. I can't wait. I buy the DVD's through Disney just to get the free lithographs:sohappy:

jaimjaim25

Originally posted by FairytaleFreak
I really like the Lady and the Tramp snowglobe. What's the one near the back with Donald and Mickey? I've never seen that one before.

I can't help but notice that you have an extensive Disney video collection,too. Impressive. Right now I'm waiting for the Disney Princess videos on DVD. I have Belle on DVD. Sleeping Beauty is supposed to come out on DVD during the summer. I can't wait. I buy the DVD's through Disney just to get the free lithographs:sohappy:

The one in the back left, is the 'share a dream come true' snowglobe. It plays that theme. I love that one. Came out about 2 years ago. Yeah, most of my Disney Movies are the original release videos.. Little did I know back then, that DVDs would come out.. so now I have a lot of doubles. Just got Beauty and the Beast on DVD, and ordered Lion King (which come out in October) But Im mad, since I missed ALaddin.. Guess I have to wait 7 years!? heheh

FairytaleMagic

Original Poster
Originally posted by jaimjaim25
The one in the back left, is the 'share a dream come true' snowglobe. It plays that theme. I love that one. Came out about 2 years ago. Yeah, most of my Disney Movies are the original release videos.. Little did I know back then, that DVDs would come out.. so now I have a lot of doubles. Just got Beauty and the Beast on DVD, and ordered Lion King (which come out in October) But Im mad, since I missed ALaddin.. Guess I have to wait 7 years!? heheh

Oh NO!!! I missed Aladdin too! When the heck did that come out on DVD? I must've missed it when I stopped getting the Disney catalogs for a while. DARN!! I didn't know Lion King will be out in October. I know I'll be buying that one too.
What makes the DVD's so good is all of the extra stuff they put on it (games, interviews, music videos, animation stuff). And the great sound that comes out of the home theater speakers when a movie is playing. Otherwise I would've stuck with VHS. I would still get the free great Lithographs with VHS anyway.

Coree

Aladdin is supposed to be the new IMAX release for 2004 (just like Lion King was for 2003). I'm guessing that means there will be a DVD release in October 2004. It has not been released on DVD yet in the U.S.

FairytaleMagic

Original Poster
Originally posted by Coree
Aladdin is supposed to be the new IMAX release for 2004 (just like Lion King was for 2003). I'm guessing that means there will be a DVD release in October 2004. It has not been released on DVD yet in the U.S.

Thanks Coree, that's great. Now I can look out for it next year.:sohappy:

PurpleFigment

I just checked my Disney snowglobe collection...I've got 40 on display plus more still in boxes. I can't find any place to display them all!

I have found that the quality of them has gone way downhill in the past year or so. They are looking a lot more "plastic"...most of them just aren't as elegant as they use to be.

Scooter is right...if you see one you love, buy it immediately because you never know which ones will sell out. I'm kicking myself for not buying the recent Cinderella coach, the Tomorrowland that Scooter is also looking for and the list goes on and on. I ordered that same one Scooter's wife did. Sadly, it arrived with a broken chair AND it is sold out so it cannot be replaced. :cry:

If you're going to start a collection, there are a few things you may want to keep in mind. BOXES ARE IMPORTANT. You must have the box for it's collectibility value. Some of the snowglobes are available at both the store and through the catalog. They offer different boxes for these. The ones at the store have a "collector" box, but there's a huge hole in it and the styrofoam so you can see it without opening the box. Some people like this, others loathe it. Personally, I want a complete box...no holes! I only purchase from the catalog because of this. Another thing is airbubbles. Most collectors don't like airbubbles and won't purchase them if there's one in it. Unfortunately, they just happen and there's no way to 100% prevent one from forming. It is best to keep them out of sunlight or direct lightbulb light.

When I started collecting, I had no idea that these things would be worth some major money. I've got several that I paid $30 for on sale that are now going on eBay for $300. I didn't keep the boxes, though. For the most part, I don't buy them intending to sell them, but it's nice to know that if I had to get some quick cash in an emergency, selling a snowglobe is an option. Take care of them, keep them out of the hands of small children!

You may want to look on www.disneyauctions.com or www.disneydeals.com for them, too. A lot of times Disney Deals has the same snowglobes available on www.disneystore.com but at a cheaper price. Disney Auctions often has limited editions and prototypes of snowglobes available. If you buy from www.disneystore.com search online for coupon codes...I always get 10%-15% off my order from codes I find online. I normally combine it with free shipping and it makes everything a lot easier to afford! You may want to check disneystore.com this Friday...I have a feeling it will be another one of their 15% off everything days, and that 15% can be combined with a coupon code so you get 25% off your order. You must be a registered user to redeem a coupon code, though. Registration is free.

WDW does carry a lot of snowglobes that aren't available elsewhere - including the entire collection from the Share a Dream Come True Parade. They often also have retired snowglobes or ones that are no longer available from the catalog or in the stores. Plus there's all the smaller park exclusives.

Good luck!

Coree

Lots of good info in your post PurpleFigment--thanks. I've been collecting Disney globes for about 10 years and have about 30. I need to check out the Web sites you mention. I'm always very careful to make sure there aren't air bubbles in them when I buy them, but they're inevitable and usually develop over the years--definitely the downside to this collectible. One note about the boxes. Some of the globes from the Disney Store come in the boxes with the cut-out window you mention. However, many of them still come in the "complete" blue box. Jungle Book II and the new Sleeping Beauty "double bubble" globe are two fairly new ones that come in the non-window box. Just don't want folks to discount purchasing at their local store because of the box issue. Especially since the downside of ordering through the catalog is that you can't check them out before purchasing for damage or bubbles.

Happy collecting, everyone!

PurpleFigment

Coree -- true about those blue box snowglobes currently being sold at the Disney Stores. I remember seeing them last time I was in the store. I didn't like either one of those, so I kind of blocked them from my mind! I've probably bought 20 of my snowglobes from the catalog online...shockingly not even one of them has arrived with a bubble! I have received broken ones, though...including that Belle one. They are very good about issuing refunds for damage, though. If you call and tell them it arrived broken, they'll normally refund your money without making you send it back. They do sometimes require proof of damage in a form of a photograph. And don't forget, there are several snowglobes at www.disneystore.com that never hit the Disney Store retail locations.

Also, if you search www.disneydeals.com be sure to search "snowglobe" and "snow globe". You'll find different ones listed just by separating the words!

I've just received a few more snowglobes from www.disneystore.com. I would highly recommend these to any collector:

Mickey and Minnie 75th Anniversary
http://disney.store.go.com/DSSectionPage.process?Section_Id=13490&Product_Id=130559

Peter Pan 50th Anniversary
http://disney.store.go.com/DSSectionPage.process?Section_Id=13490&Product_Id=133736

Three Little Pigs 70th Anniversary
http://disney.store.go.com/DSSectionPage.process?Section_Id=13490&Product_Id=120012

Mickey's 75th Anniversary
http://disney.store.go.com/DSSectionPage.process?Section_Id=13490&Product_Id=130881

I think I've got an "anniversary" theme going here! The hourglass ones are also very popular and extremely well detailed!

Happy collecting!

FairytaleMagic

Original Poster
Originally posted by PurpleFigment
I just checked my Disney snowglobe collection...I've got 40 on display plus more still in boxes. I can't find any place to display them all!

I have found that the quality of them has gone way downhill in the past year or so. They are looking a lot more "plastic"...most of them just aren't as elegant as they use to be.

Scooter is right...if you see one you love, buy it immediately because you never know which ones will sell out. I'm kicking myself for not buying the recent Cinderella coach, the Tomorrowland that Scooter is also looking for and the list goes on and on. I ordered that same one Scooter's wife did. Sadly, it arrived with a broken chair AND it is sold out so it cannot be replaced. :cry:

Good luck!

WOW! I have a lot to learn! I never noticed there was a difference in the store and catalog snowglobe boxes. I agree with you in that it's better to have a complete no holes box. It's safer (epecially if transporting it) But, I don't plan to keep mine in the box anyway. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for the massive number of dolls I collect. I would display them too if I had enough space. :brick:
Air Bubbles!? I didn't notice that was an issue! Mine didn't have bubbles thank goodness.
I'm not sure if I will start a snowglobe collection. But who knows what'll happen. I said the exact same thing when I bought my first 3 collectible Barbies 6 years ago (and now i have a few hundred of those)! :rolleyes:
I didn't know you could combine coupon codes and online discounts. Now I'm more tempted to buy! That's definite trouble for my bank account!! :cry:

By the way, what is your most favorite snowglobe?

PurpleFigment

You can only use one coupon code/discount code. However, if the site is running a sale, you can use one code on top of that sale. You can't use two codes or anything...I've tried that and it doesn't work! My favorite is when they go on sale, plus a coupon code, plus free shipping! I regularly have totals of $300+...but it's great to see in the discount section something like -$122!

I've never seen Fantasmic...it's always been too busy when I'm there. But I am going to see it next week if I have to stand in line for two hours! If the end looks like that snowglobe, I'll be one happy camper!

My favorite is hard to choose. I love my large Aladdin lamp one. That's probably my very favorite. My Roger Rabbit with Jessica one (the one with the safe on top) probably comes in second. I also love my Christmas Radko one, the Cinderella dress one, Bugs Life, Alice in Wonderland Anniversary and 101 Dalmatians Anniversary. There's so many and I love them all!

What's your favorite? If you can choose!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom