I HATED Manta

stitch2008

Huh? B&M already makes flyers! They built the Superman Ultimate Flight coasters at Six Flags in Atlanta, Jersey, and Chicago, as well as Tatsu at Six Flags in Cali, Manta at Sea World in Orlando, Crystal Wing in China, and Air at Alton Towers...

Your misunderstanding me. I know B&M makes flyers. Ive been at Tatsu and Manta. Im talking about B&M doing something with flyers that has never been done before. Im not gonna go into details(people have been fired for whispering the idea) but as long as the funding is there, someone across the pond is gonna have a flyer that does something no other flyer can do.

Bairstow

Your misunderstanding me. I know B&M makes flyers. Ive been at Tatsu and Manta. Im talking about B&M doing something with flyers that has never been done before. Im not gonna go into details(people have been fired for whispering the idea) but as long as the funding is there, someone across the pond is gonna have a flyer that does something no other flyer can do.

They did. B&M's sit-to-fly, (as opposed to lie-to-fly) riding position was a first and is still a unique system.
Arguably superior too, since the riding experience provides better views during the lift and return to station.

Also, I'd say Crystal Wing, being built on/through artificial mountains and ruins deserves some kind of recognition.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
I just found this thread and laughed at the title, because I think Manta's my favorite coaster in Orlando. That first dive and loop are supreme fun. Super fun ride.

(And with Kracken, Sea World has a nice one-two punch...)

That it does! Several TV Channel always highlight the SEA coasters. Great collection within the entire company.

captainkidd

Original Poster
I liked Kraken, but wasn't blown away by it. I actually prefer Dragon Challenge.

I think I'm really going to like the coasters at Busch Gardens.

Bairstow

I liked Kraken, but wasn't blown away by it. I actually prefer Dragon Challenge.

I think I'm really going to like the coasters at Busch Gardens.

I think you will too. It's Bolliger and Mabillard heaven.
Just don't set your expectations too high for Gwazi.

I know that Sea World is now focusing on non-coaster attractions, but if they were to add a third one, what do y'all think it should be?
Personally I think they need an entry-level/intermediate coaster for people too skittish to jump right onto their big ones - something like San Diego's Manta, actually, or perhaps an Intamin mega-lite.

cheezbat

I know that Sea World is now focusing on non-coaster attractions, but if they were to add a third one, what do y'all think it should be?
Personally I think they need an entry-level/intermediate coaster for people too skittish to jump right onto their big ones - something like San Diego's Manta, actually, or perhaps an Intamin mega-lite.

My guess would be a launch coaster, but I'd also like to see a B&M wing rider added...and give Busch Gardens a hyper coaster already! Gosh Florida is seriously missing an airtime machine!

IWant2GoNow

oh really? oh ive never seen one where you're on your tummy! where are the other ones?

There's also a Superman one at Six Flags Great America near Chicago. A local amusement park near me, Geauga Lake (used to also be Six Flags World of Adventure), had one of the first one's I believe named X-Flight. Since Geauga Lake's closing it has since been moved to Kings Island near Cincy & renamed Nighthawk. Very cool coaster style.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
I prefer Montu over Dragon Challenge. Kraken is decent, but I think Manta is probably the better of the two big Sea World coasters.

Alpen > Montu > Dragon Challenge.

Alpen rolls with the terrain. Makes the coaster what it is!

Gwazi was great before the new trains IMO but one the articulateds were put on it changed the entire face of it. Cheetah Hunt would take the cake for me on the best Florida coaster.

Who said they were focusin on non coaster additions? They needed facelifts elsewhere but I would be willing to bet you will see another in/within five years. San Diego's Manta is a pure result of John Reilly. It will not be the end of additions for that park; John is an outstanding leader!

cheezbat

Haha while Alpengheist is bigger, I really didn't like it as much as I had hoped. Montu is still my #1 invert, followed by Alpengheist, then Raptor, then the original Batman the Ride in Chicago, then Ice and fire.(or whatever they're called now).

Bairstow

I just wish Montu still had the crocodile pit.

bgt13.jpg

Figment1986

Ride it for the first time last week on our vacation. We were in the 2nd to last row.

As I said, we were in the 2nd to last row. For 7 to 8 seconds, I couldn't breathe. I literally felt like I was going to have a heart attack.

The back half of the coaster trains are always getting more force anyway. It was a running joke that even the executive for design and engineering wouldn't ride the back row of his own coaster. This is why I always tend to ride in the middle of the attractions I'm not used to ridding.

Alpen > Montu > Dragon Challenge.

I swear, when I'm up there again I'm going to ride alen just to be sure... Cause I always say montu is better ;)

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
The back half of the coaster trains are always getting more force anyway. It was a running joke that even the executive for design and engineering wouldn't ride the back row of his own coaster. This is why I always tend to ride in the middle of the attractions I'm not used to ridding.

I swear, when I'm up there again I'm going to ride alen just to be sure... Cause I always say montu is better ;)

I'll ride whatever has the shortest line for the first time haha. I prefer Alpen because it goes with the hills and ravines of the park. Biggest and only reason. And the first turn.

danpam1024

Ride it for the first time last week on our vacation. We were in the 2nd to last row. I found this article this morning, that I really think Sea World should make people aware of:

My first journey on Manta was in the back row, as I had heard from many people that it was the most physically intense. For comparison, my second trip was in the front row, as that’s generally the row with the least physical forces exerted on riders and the most visual impact. After riding the two extreme positions on Manta, I can safely say that it is now both the most intense and most visually appealing roller coaster in Orlando. While riding a roller coaster, I have never felt anything quite like pressure exerted on me during Manta’s pretzel loop while sitting in the back row. The loop, aptly named for the fact that it is shaped like a pretzel, occurs very early in the ride and was definitely not expected. I’ve been on hundreds of coaster loops in the past – indoors, outdoors, tall, short, twisting, non-twisting – but never one as forceful as this one was.
In cresting the top of the loop (riding underneath the track on the inside of the loop), riders have no choice but to stare straight at the track ahead, curving underneath and out of view. The lightweight feeling of flying over that uppermost arch quickly becomes the sheer opposite as the car rounds the vertical corner sending you on a trip toward the ground, exerting extreme forces on you all the while. It’s a uniquely breath-taking experience (literally) that I would only recommend for those looking for Orlando’s newest extreme thrill.
Riding around this loop in the front row relieves most of the extreme pressure and allows for a much more scenic trip around the loop, enabling you to focus less on remembering to breathe and more on the beautiful water and greenery that surrounds Manta.

As I said, we were in the 2nd to last row. For 7 to 8 seconds, I couldn't breathe. I literally felt like I was going to have a heart attack.
It's such a beautiful coaster, but sadly, I too will probably not ride it again. I was SO disoriented after riding and didn't really feel "right" for a solid 2 hours afterwards! We were smack dab in the middle.

Nemo14

I rode in the middle the first time and really loved it. Last time we went we rode in the very back - it was quite intense, but great fun. My favorite coaster now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom