I HATED Manta

captainkidd

Original Poster
Ride it for the first time last week on our vacation. We were in the 2nd to last row. I found this article this morning, that I really think Sea World should make people aware of:

My first journey on Manta was in the back row, as I had heard from many people that it was the most physically intense. For comparison, my second trip was in the front row, as that’s generally the row with the least physical forces exerted on riders and the most visual impact. After riding the two extreme positions on Manta, I can safely say that it is now both the most intense and most visually appealing roller coaster in Orlando. While riding a roller coaster, I have never felt anything quite like pressure exerted on me during Manta’s pretzel loop while sitting in the back row. The loop, aptly named for the fact that it is shaped like a pretzel, occurs very early in the ride and was definitely not expected. I’ve been on hundreds of coaster loops in the past – indoors, outdoors, tall, short, twisting, non-twisting – but never one as forceful as this one was.
In cresting the top of the loop (riding underneath the track on the inside of the loop), riders have no choice but to stare straight at the track ahead, curving underneath and out of view. The lightweight feeling of flying over that uppermost arch quickly becomes the sheer opposite as the car rounds the vertical corner sending you on a trip toward the ground, exerting extreme forces on you all the while. It’s a uniquely breath-taking experience (literally) that I would only recommend for those looking for Orlando’s newest extreme thrill.
Riding around this loop in the front row relieves most of the extreme pressure and allows for a much more scenic trip around the loop, enabling you to focus less on remembering to breathe and more on the beautiful water and greenery that surrounds Manta.

As I said, we were in the 2nd to last row. For 7 to 8 seconds, I couldn't breathe. I literally felt like I was going to have a heart attack.

MKCP 1985

Sorry that it didn't agree with you. Manta is a beautiful coaster with a very smooth ride and has to be one of the top 5 coasters in the greater Orlando area. I really enjoyed it and it would be a big part of my decision to return to Sea World.

Disneydreamer23

i Loved Manta and My husband being 6 6 360 pounds was comfortable too the only problem Was They said don't bring phone it on it will break my husband had an indestructible phone .. ha ha it broke

captainkidd

Original Poster
Manta is super scary. I shed a tear Of fear the first time I rode it and that's exactly why is a great coaster!

I didn't find it scary. The remainder of the ride after the first pretzel loop was fine. But that first loop was simply not enjoyable on any level. If I had known about the forces put on you sitting in the back, I would have waited longer and sat up front.

captainkidd

Original Poster
I liked it, I admit it was super scary being on your tummy bc I kept thinking the restraint could come unlocked and I would just fall down lol I was white-knuckling it the entire ride! But it was a really cool experience to have that point of view on a coaster, I thought it was pretty smooth and a good ride. Major points for originality

Not that it matters much, but it's not an original idea. There are many flying coasters.

B-Mac

2012-07-11%2012.46.55.jpg

Courtesy of a friend who went to Six Flags America a few weeks ago.

EDIT: I forgot to mention most of the Six Flags flyers are really only good for the pretzel loops. The one pictured is a Vekoma Flying Dutchman.

Piebald

I like the coaster. When I had my pass to Sea World we pretty much went all the time and definitely got our money's worth. I will admit, however, that sitting in the back is a completely different experience. It raises the intensity level significantly even by roller coaster standards.

First time riders are probably traumatized if they go in the last row and are already apprehensive about thrill rides.

maxairmike

I've ridden in the last row and next to last row several times over the last few years and can't say I've experienced anything close to not being able to breathe during the pretzel loop. Is it a very unique and intense set of forces for most? Yes, and the psychological side of things is likely playing a big role if you're having any issues because of that. It is certainly not the most intense B&M flying coaster, though. Tatsu at Magic Mountain takes that spot from everything I've heard.

Pete C

Not that it matters much, but it's not an original idea. There are many flying coasters.

While this is true in terns of flyers being original, I will say that the Superman flyers are lame in comparison to Manta. Manta and Tatsu really took flyers to another level. I rode Superman at SFOG when it opened and was very underwhelmed. The pretzel loop feels exactly the same...so that part was intense, but the rest of the ride was a snooze. I was pretty much convinced that the whole concept was a gimmick and not capable of delivering a great ride. Manta was the ride that changed my mind about flyers due to the visuals and a layout that actually delivers thrills.

Mr_Incredible

Carowinds in charlotte NC has a coaster like this, has for years.....

Used to be called cyborg, now its nighthawk

fun ride. real intense.

Carowinds-Theme-Park038.jpg

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member

fun ride. real intense.

And those are Vekoma Flyers. Some of the worst creations on the this planet. That one and the one at SFA are completely horrendous. Terrible capacity, ride quality, and comes nowhere near the graceful nature of Manta (in the frontward rows that is). @captainkidd I find it comical that you just so happened to be near the back of the train. If you are not accustomed to the more extreme ends of coasters than it is a bad to place to ride. The front half is just about as smooth and graceful as a coaster will get (outside of Cheetah Hunt).

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Gee, thanks Scoutn.

I never mind the back on Dragon Challenge or Hulk. Figured this would be no worse.

It's the luck I'm laughing at. The way it is designed the distribution of forces varies greatly. It is like riding a ten seat wide dive machine in the back row on left edge seat. It has a longer distance of rotation and you feel it pulling out of an Immelman. You wouldn't really expect that. Ride back row on Kumba or Montu and you surely feel it close to Manta. Just the nature of the beasts. Hulk nor DC has tight transitions or sustained sweeps at a decent speed so it is another style. Montu is the same coaster style as Dueling Dragons but it is a tighter track design so you feel it much more.

cheezbat

fun ride. real intense.

Rode that thing last year...hated it. The B&M flyers are way more smooth and comfortable. That being said, Manta is my favorite. The two Superman flyers I rode were good, but not as good as Manta. I'd place Tatsu(the worlds biggest flyer) at the bottom of my B&M flyer list. It's big, but nowhere near as fun as the other three.

No matter what, the front is the only way to ride flyers.

stitch2008

Rode that thing last year...hated it. The B&M flyers are way more smooth and comfortable. That being said, Manta is my favorite. The two Superman flyers I rode were good, but not as good as Manta. I'd place Tatsu(the worlds biggest flyer) at the bottom of my B&M flyer list. It's big, but nowhere near as fun as the other three.

No matter what, the front is the only way to ride flyers.

Just wait a few years. Flyers are going to be amazing once B&M makes them.................

Well just a few years and find out. ;)

cheezbat

Just wait a few years. Flyers are going to be amazing once B&M makes them.................

Well just a few years and find out. ;)

Huh? B&M already makes flyers! They built the Superman Ultimate Flight coasters at Six Flags in Atlanta, Jersey, and Chicago, as well as Tatsu at Six Flags in Cali, Manta at Sea World in Orlando, Crystal Wing in China, and Air at Alton Towers...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom