I got the WDW stomach bug....

Gig 'Em Mickey

Just got back and I'm beat so I'll do a trip report Monday. But quick warning to anyone who might be going down. There is a nasty stomach bug working its way through Disney. I was up all night losing my stomach from, ahem, both ends. Virtually simultaneously. :hurl: Sorry if that's too graphic. I would recommend bringing lysol wipes and thouroughly clean the hotel room, and put some in a ziploc in case you need to use facilities in a park. I got no sleep, essentially had no food or water, 101 degree fever, and still managed to make it to MGM and Downtown. I'm sure I wasn't the most pleasant person to be around, but I did go. Lasted about 12-15 hours.

More horror stories to come, but of no fault of disney.

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
Awww, sorry you were so sick in WDW! A stomach virus like that is terrible even in the comforts of your own home. I can only imagine how terrible it is when you're on vacation. :(

Did you at least enjoy a small bit of your trip before the evil bug kicked in?

Upvote 0

Gig 'Em Mickey

Original Poster
We were there from about 2 Sunday through 2 Friday. I was sick from about 10pm Tuesday night through about 1 Wednesday. Then I got it AGAIN, though in reduced strength, on departure day. Took enough Immodium to plug me up for a few days though I think.

Upvote 0

HeatherK

I'm sorry you got sick durning your trip. I feel your pain. That virus was making it through my house last week, but we are all the way up in N.Y. Way to be a trooper and still make it out! :animwink:

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

Winter is a wonderful time for coughs, colds and stomach bugs - sorry to hear you guys caught it while at Disney. Hope it didn't affect your enjoyment too much

Upvote 0

gnorth

We were there the 7 - 13 and both my Mom and my Father-in-Law had the bug. FIL was out for 1 1/2 days and Mom was out for 3! It is a nasty thing!!

Upvote 0

KC82271

Don't blame disney on this one! It's in NJ too! I had it for 6 days, my DD had it 5 and DH and my mom (my babysitter) each had it 1 and a half days each. I researched on line when I couldn't beat it and it appears that some colleges were shutting down early around Thanksgiving because it was so bad. I guess close quarters like taking a bus to the parks allows for more exposure, as well as touching everything!

Upvote 0

alilance

Being sick in Disney Sucks!! It's amazing how well you did considering your condition!! I was there last May and was doing the parks with pneumonia! I thought it was just my asthma until I finally saw the doctor a couple of days before we left and was given that diagnosis! He didn't even want me to fly home! Just being there gives you that adrenaline rush to keep on going!! Hope your feeling better!!

Feb. 1st - 9th, 2009!!!

Upvote 0

eroyee

Sorry about your sickness on your trip. I did that for 1 and a half days on one of our trips. Mine was thought to be food poisoning, though, and not from Disney. ate at a Shoneys on the way in. also got the bug here a few wks. ago. lasted 4 days for me. It was awful........we also had colleges closing down from the virus..........

Upvote 0

coltow

Don't blame disney on this one! It's in NJ too! I had it for 6 days, my DD had it 5 and DH and my mom (my babysitter) each had it 1 and a half days each. I researched on line when I couldn't beat it and it appears that some colleges were shutting down early around Thanksgiving because it was so bad. I guess close quarters like taking a bus to the parks allows for more exposure, as well as touching everything!
Massachusetts too, just about everyone I know had some version of it. We were lucky enough that both my kids and myself had it just before we went to WDW.

Upvote 0

elisatonks

its more wide spread than the USA as well i know a number of people who have been feeling the same here in england, its been so bad it hit the main news last week.

Upvote 0

figmentmom

It makes sense WHENEVER you travel to take along some antiseptic wipes. Considering the sheer number of people visiting WDW on a daily basis, it's probably amazing that I've never caught anything! :ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

disney4life2008

Thanks for the heads up. I am heading down on the 1st of January and staying at 2 different hotels.

A rule of thumb for me has always been to go right to walmart after checking in and getting Lysol wipes, lysol disinfectant spray and antibacterial lotion. I put everything in a ziplock bag and put in my jacket pocket (a small quantity) before heading out to the parks. In the room, my beds get a though check and clean.

Upvote 0

S&K_Md

Back in 2005 while staying in AS Movies, my son, then 3 years old, had the stomach bug. Got to the point where we had folks from Housekeeping (we kept going through sheets and towels like you wouldn't believe), an assistant resort manager, and a couple paramedics from Reedy Creek all in our room. Luckily, we weren't to the point of dehydration, but we went ahead to the FL version of Nighttime Pediatrics to be safe. The doctor there said there was a particularly nasty strain of rotovirus going around at the time, which apparently can tend to happen at WDW frequently.

We attribute our visit to AK of the previous day as the point of infection -- our son kissed Safari Minnie on the nose in Camp Minnie-Mickey. Have the pictures to prove it! Wonder what the reaction would have been had we wiped Minnie's nose first. :p To this day, we still (jokingly) refer to her as "Typhoid" Minnie...

Upvote 0

Gig 'Em Mickey

Original Poster
I think it was Brazilians..... just kidding

If it was food poisoning it came from Yorkshire fish in Epcot. That's the only meal where no one else in my family had any. I'm the only one that ate fish. It was good fish though. No I think I just got a bug. It happens. Nobody's fault. But it did suck. So just use some common sense precautions. I usually do, but I slacked off a little and paid the price.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom