I get to take a first timer!!!

AREM

Original Poster
I am taking a first timer to WDW this April, and I can't wait. I feel like a parent showing off their adorable, lovable, completely amazing child off to someone. I get to play host for them the entire time they are there!

I have been showing them my videos and pics from my trip last April, and they can't hardly wait. I think they just might be as excited to be going for the first time as I am to be going back again for the third time.

Have you guys ever been able to play host for anybody like that? I can't wait to see my friends face when she first catches a glimpse of that castle. Man oh man, its gonna be amazing.

TxStateMouse

Hi there! I am in the same boat over here. I am taking my first-timer in September and I want it to be just perfect! I was thinking about doing a welcome package from the Disney Florists. Does anyone have any experience with them?

It's so hard to decide on all the great places to see and eat, I just hope we can get everything in. It's kind of a lot of pressure, lol. If we miss something, there's always next year, right?

You are right, is it just as exciting to plan the trip and get them excited as it is to go! She is so excited and it's interesting because I don't think ppl really grasp the concept until they are actually there...lost in the World for days and days. In the few months before we leave, I want to get some older (and some newer) Disney movies and watch them to build the anticipation. We have a travel book (because it's nearly impossible to explain EVERYTHING to a first-timer). And I'm trying to think up some other special things to really get her prepared. We have the countdowns everywhere...next will be the paper chain.

PS...My first timer is 27.:ROFLOL:

LoriMistress

You're not going to be able to show them everything. I would suggest finding out what their wants and needs are. Take them to the "must-do's" attractioins/rides. Take them to one or two restaurants a day. Have them take breaks during the late morning/early afternoon. It can be extremely overwhelming for a first timer.

wvdisneyfamily

I'm going to take my Mom one day soon (hopefully). I won't say how old that first timer is :)goodnevil) though. I just hope I don't go into overkill and wear her out the first day.

AREM

Original Poster
Have them take breaks during the late morning/early afternoon. It can be extremely overwhelming for a first timer.

Our first time wasn't like that at all. I don't know if you have that issue, but we did not. In fact, when we left Florida to head home, we actually felt like we still had all this energy, and no where to use it. Our first time was amazing, and not overwhelming at all. All our friends and family who have been were never overwhelmed their first time.

You make it sound like they are going to be running a 14 mile marathon for the first time LOL

And to TxStateMouse, have a great time with your first timers! I seriously planned the trip the dates that I did JUST to make sure that we went before SM went down for the year. LOL We had to rearrange a bunch of things JUST to book the trip before SM closed. When my friend and her son said that they wanted to go, the first thing I said was, "I have to reschedule it! You HAVE to ride Space Mountain!" :ROFLOL:

And my first timer is 32! And her son is 17, and neither of them have ever been. Its crazy. And she is as big a Disney freak as anyone on this board, but she has never been able to afford to go, so we are gonna split a room. Plus, my friend who works at Disney is getting us a hell of a deal on our room on property. Plus, those free passes to the parks isn't too shabby either. :animwink:

Honestly, the SINGLE thing that I am wanting to see more than ANYTHING else, the one thing that will make the whole trip worth it, will be to see both of their faces as we begin to make our way down Main Street and her eyes first make contact with that wonderful castle..........

God, I'm getting goosebumps. LOL

I just LOVE WDW virgins. They are so cute! :sohappy:

Hi there! I am in the same boat over here. I am taking my first-timer in September and I want it to be just perfect! I was thinking about doing a welcome package from the Disney Florists. Does anyone have any experience with them?

My family took a first timer last April, and it was a blast. I enjoyed everything all the more because SHE was enjoying everything so much! My DH and I went to Disney for our honeymoon and ordered the "toast to a happily ever after" basket from the florist and had a great experience. The castmembers were great over the phone helping with options and our basket was in our room waiting for us when we got back from the parks on our last day. Perfect ending to a prefect trip. :)

LoriMistress

Our first time wasn't like that at all. I don't know if you have that issue, but we did not. In fact, when we left Florida to head home, we actually felt like we still had all this energy, and no where to use it. Our first time was amazing, and not overwhelming at all. All our friends and family who have been were never overwhelmed their first time.

You make it sound like they are going to be running a 14 mile marathon for the first time LOL

And to TxStateMouse, have a great time with your first timers! I seriously planned the trip the dates that I did JUST to make sure that we went before SM went down for the year. LOL We had to rearrange a bunch of things JUST to book the trip before SM closed. When my friend and her son said that they wanted to go, the first thing I said was, "I have to reschedule it! You HAVE to ride Space Mountain!" :ROFLOL:

And my first timer is 32! And her son is 17, and neither of them have ever been. Its crazy. And she is as big a Disney freak as anyone on this board, but she has never been able to afford to go, so we are gonna split a room. Plus, my friend who works at Disney is getting us a hell of a deal on our room on property. Plus, those free passes to the parks isn't too shabby either. :animwink:

Honestly, the SINGLE thing that I am wanting to see more than ANYTHING else, the one thing that will make the whole trip worth it, will be to see both of their faces as we begin to make our way down Main Street and her eyes first make contact with that wonderful castle..........

God, I'm getting goosebumps. LOL

I just LOVE WDW virgins. They are so cute! :sohappy:

Our first time we didn't take any breaks. We were at the parks from opening until closing. We did take a one day break where we slept in, checked out DTD, and DQ. After awhile of being at the parks from opening until closing, you can get cranky.

On our third trip to WDW we'll be bringing my mom (will be a first timer), maybe my step-dad (first timer), and maybe my brother (will be first timer). It probably won't be until 2011 or 2012 until we go to WDW again. My mom has agreed that she'll help pay for the trip, but I do all the planning. It doesn't feel like you're at WDW until you walk down MS:USA and see Cinderella's Castle for the first time. The expression never gets old...no matter how many times you've been.

hibbsofep

We took my mother-in-law for the first time about 5 yrs. ago. She was around 70 at the time and I remember watching the look on her face when she saw Main St. and the castle for the first time. I could read her thoughts on her face and we slowed down to let her soak it in for a minute.
It was also a lot of fun to watch my 5 yr. old son (on his 3rd trip) showing her around and explaining everything to her like her own private tour guide. She loved the experience so much that 2 yrs. later after she sold her house and downsized to a condo, she used some of the proceeds to take us on a a 1 week DW/cruise vacation. Lucky us!

raceroom

I too get to take first timers down on 1/30. I am so excited. We are staying at WL, so I feel this will add to their trip. Does anyone know if you request it, will the resort put a note or balloons or anything in the room? I know when my parents went for their anniversary they put balloons and a Mickey pic. Pretty cool.

Tommy396

Hi all! Im off to the World on 08/18/09 for my honeymoon and my wife to be is a Disney first timer! Have been trying to explain and describe the magic to her and no matter how hard I try, I dont think you can comprehend it until you actually walk through those gates and make your way down Main Street USA! I'll never forget my first time....I hope she will never forget hers!

Dayma

I hate to say this but I do not like going with first timers. I feel like the pressure is on me to justify all the hype I have been talking. I prefer to go with people that are experienced and just enjoy it!

Bunni

I am taking my brother (31) and his wife(35) to Disney World for my Wedding in 2010, however my brother is a Disney Synic. He tried to tell what a horrible person Walt Disney was and the Disney Corporation :dazzle: Then got all shirty and said "wait a minute I can't say anything about your precious Walt Disney". Say what you want about the Disney corporation but Walt Disney was an amazing person yes he had his flaws as everyone does however he has done a lot of good for this world. So as you can imagine I am massively concerned about taking him, he is only staying for 2 days then off to Vegas... You can't please everyone.

wdwmomof3

We have done this twice. On our last two Disney trips we took a friend of my DD's. I had a blast seeing the World through their eyes. I enjoyed watching my children show them around, and it just made it so much fun for us. I would do it again in a heartbeat. ;)

mcjaco

I took a first timer to Epcot a few years back, while we were at a business conference in Orlando. All I can tell you is, take your time, and don't expect to show them everything.

I tried, and not only was I exhausted, I don't think my guest understood the experience at all. Too much, too fast.

LilMommyBug

I am taking my mom (65) for her first time in May. I am SO excited, way more excited than she is. I just can't wait for her to see everything!

WIX

We have taken first timers many times and it never gets old. We love it!!!

When my husband and I went for our first time together in 1999 we fell in love with everything and could not wait to share with everybody.

Slowly but surely we are cracking through that list of everybody by taking them with us each year. This year it is my brother, his wife and my neice who will be seven then. They all have never been. I can not wait to experience it through her eyes . . . is it December yet???

Iknewagirlnamed

I took my boyfriend on a 4 day trip to Disneyland in October. It was wonderful experiencing it with him. He is moving to Orlando with me in September and I can't wait to show him Disney World and see the look on his face

Disney_Freak429

Well I have some experience in this field taking one friend who was in his early 20s for his first time & next week taking someone who is 40 who hasn't been in 15 odd yrs. so it will be his first time at DHS & DAK. (but we know how much the others have changed also) I would say take it easy. Don't rush them have a general plan but if they want to do something again or they want to take a break leave that in their hands to tell you when to slow down. Also I can't stress enough to pick a amazing attraction to be their first ever Disney experience. I decided on Spaceship Earth for my friend & don't regret it for a min. it was the perfect classic choice to start with. But just have them give an idea of what they want to hit for sure because we know when is the best times to hit things like Soarin' or Peter Pan's Flight so your not waiting forever. Things happen like refurbs so they most likely won't see everything so let them know this & make them aware of refurbs before they come so they are not as disappointed when they get here. As far as a welcome gift let the week roll past & if they see something they like (t-shirt or Mickey ears ect.) just say that its your treat. If you want to plan something plan 1 really nice meal. This can be anything from Breakfast at Chef Mickey's to dinner at Cali Grill depending how much spare cash you have at the time. LAST they are not as into Disney as you are so don't stop too long at a refurb wall or to watch a height requirement sign being painted at EE. (the last I did he almost killed me) Also one fun thing I did was buy glow braclets on ebay in a bit of bulk & passed them out to guests as we headed out of the MK over to Cali Grill for dinner. This showed how you can pass along the magic to young & old while having a wonderful time yourself. So have fun sharing the magic with all your first timers. :)

AREM

Original Poster
OMG I didn't even think about the best first ride..........

When we went in April, mine was The Jungle Cruise. Nice first ride.

I was thinking about doing PotC first........

HELP ME OUT!! What would be best for their first ride?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom