I Finally Rode Forbidden Journey!! AMAZING!!

EvanAnderson

Original Poster
So for this summer I was actually in Virginia working at Busch Gardens up there for a Leadership Internship. My house is in Orlando and I live 10 minutes from Universal. I had to watch all the opening ceremonies from the computer and TV and had to jealously see people's Potter reviews start to come in. I finally got home and one of the first things I did was go to WWOHP.

Walking in from the Lost Continent side, with the music, the atmosphere, it literally took my breath away. I saw so many wide eyed people walking in there for the first time, especially kids on their parents shoulders who's eyes were huge and jaws dropped. THAT made my day. The fact that kids can now go to Universal and be completely mesmerized by an area that Disney had nothing to do with.

I went with my friend Kyle for my first Forbidden Journey ride and the sign said 60 minutes but we waited about 45-50. Once we got in the castle with the moving portraits and classrooms and Dumbledore's Office, I was completely beside myself. I also saw more wide eyed kids literally say "Wow!!" when they saw the moving portraits and when it started snowing in the classroom. I got so excited!! You could tell the parents liked it too. I think basically anyone who goes through that queue is able to appreciate it, just because of its authenticity to the movies and how well detailed it all is.

Then I got to the loading area and went completely bonkers. I LOVE LOVE LOVE ride control systems for theme parks. I love the technology behind it, I love everything about that part of the industry. I was in complete awe that what I saw moving along a conveyor belt, what people were locking themselves into were gigantic robotic arms. I pulled down the harness and was so excited, I didn't think the ride would meet my expectations...

Oh.

My.

God.

That ride, is simply one of the best/well executed rides I have EVER been on, if not the best one I have ever been on. Since my first ride, I've been on it 4 times, and I STILL get very excited to be on that ride. The fact that Universal would take something so alien to the theme parks, a robotic Kuka arm, having 40+ of these arms circulating around a track, with an omni-mover loading system, it just makes me so amazed at the system. I know it makes me kind of lame too haha, but I LOVE riding with people who have never been on it, and as soon as the arms starts to swing up and off the platform, their gasps and awes are wonderful.

I just wanted to say that for all you who haven't been on the ride yet, you have a great experience waiting for you. Be sure to wait it out. Since there is no Express line yet, the line will continue to move and it WILL be worth the wait. Well done Universal! You have once again beat out Spiderman as the best dark ride in the world, and it is in the same park as Journey. Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey is a MASTERPIECE. The technology and execution of that ride is beyond words can describe. I know Disney fans probably won't venture over here to ride because "It's not Disney, therefore it will suck", but hopefully they will, as they are missing out on an amazing piece of engineering. Now why can't we get the red coaster across the street to run this good...

Mark_E

Completely agree.

Went on it for the first time today, ended up riding 3 times in total.

I think I have figured how they do the bits with the screens, but not too sure, it is so so clever. Excellent ride. I think the quality of all the rides at Islands of Adventure are great though.

ziffler

I totally agree as well! I rode for the first time yesterday. Simply stunning!! As others have stated in multiple threads now, I went in with huge expectations and those expectations were absolutely exceeded. It is by far the most incredible theme park attraction anywhere!!

fife

I completely agree!!! It is truly the most incredible theme park attracion ever created. It surpasses evene Spiderman which, itself, blows away anything Disney has ever done. Disney really should be shaking in their boots right now.

Walt Disney1955

I know it's a matter of opinion but I went to Universal last year and missed out on it of course. I have ridden Spiderman and love it to pieces. I also consider Haunted Mansion and Pirates at Magic Kingdom to be great dark rides, maybe Dinosaur as well. How much better does Harry Potter blow these ones away?

By the way, I think Disney overall will always be the better park with the better experience (although Potter seems to be closing the gap a bit) but in general I think if you love Disney then most people including myself appreciate Universal as well.

Lastly, I have never seen a Potter movie. Does that matter when you go on this ride?

BigThunderMatt

Lastly, I have never seen a Potter movie. Does that matter when you go on this ride?

Sadly, yes. People who have never cracked open a Harry Potter book or watched any of the films will get immensely less enjoyment out of this section of the park as a whole than individuals like myself who have read all 7 books multiple times and been at the midnight release of every film.

That's not to say you wouldn't find the ride fun, by any means. But a die-hard Harry Potter fan is always going to get ten times more out of everything in that section of the park than a person who is not.

captainkidd

Sadly, yes. People who have never cracked open a Harry Potter book or watched any of the films will get immensely less enjoyment out of this section of the park as a whole than individuals like myself who have read all 7 books multiple times and been at the midnight release of every film.

That's not to say you wouldn't find the ride fun, by any means. But a die-hard Harry Potter fan is always going to get ten times more out of everything in that section of the park than a person who is not.

I agree. I've only seen the 1st 2 movies, and storyline wise, had no idea what was going on in the ride. That's probably why I'm not as impressed as others are.

EvanAnderson

Original Poster
I know it's a matter of opinion but I went to Universal last year and missed out on it of course. I have ridden Spiderman and love it to pieces. I also consider Haunted Mansion and Pirates at Magic Kingdom to be great dark rides, maybe Dinosaur as well. How much better does Harry Potter blow these ones away?

By the way, I think Disney overall will always be the better park with the better experience (although Potter seems to be closing the gap a bit) but in general I think if you love Disney then most people including myself appreciate Universal as well.

Well it depends, did you enjoy Spiderman more than Pirates, Mansion and Dinosaur? Dinosaur is my favorite Disney ride. I too, enjoy the occasional Mansion and Pirates. Forbidden Journey is just, REALLY different than all of them. Your ride vehicle is on the end of a robotic arm. Picture Spiderman, with vehicles moving along a track, past real show scenes, mixed with projected images on a screen... except Spiderman's images are 3D where as Forbidden Journey's are not. Then picture your vehicle not being the Spiderman vehicle with 3 rows of 4 (same with Dinosaur) but a robotic arm, holding 4 people in a row (4 people per vehicle) and there are 40+ of these vehicles moving along the track at once. You will be put so close to some animatronics that you can almost touch them. You will be put on your side swung from side to side, dangled down, and turned around on your back staring straight up at scenes such as the life size whomping willow. (you'll never go upside down though).

Unfortunately, you may be a little lost if you've never seen the movies.

Disneyson 1

I've seen the first three or four movies... but only really remember the first one... and, I mean, the ride seems like it's in line with something they'd do in one of the first few movies, they mischievously sneak you out of the classroom for a Quiddich game that Harry plays in (EVERYONE knows Harry plays Quiddich), but get sidetracked by one of Hagrid's dragon pets (i remember he has a lot of them in the first movie) the spiders in the woods (was that in the third one? all I remember was spiders) and eventually to the game (Malfoy, the evil kid pushing Potter around, he's in all the movies, right?). The only thing I didn't get was the Dementors, I sorta forgot about them, but I DO remember when Harry was on that lake and did the shiny spell (Expecto Patronim?) to get them away.

With my limited knowledge of the ride and movies, I THINK I pieced the story together... am I right?

disneysroyal411

Those of you unsure on how the screens work, they are on a carousel and move constantly with the ride vehicles. Pretty amazing that all the timing on this ride works out. Also, how the show scenes are layed out in small areas and you are moved through it in ways to make it feel longer. I can not wait til next year when I get to ride this and Spidey for the first time.

BigThunderMatt

With my limited knowledge of the ride and movies, I THINK I pieced the story together... am I right?

The best way I heard it described was from Daniel Radcliffe himself in that it was a "condensed form of the chaos of Harry's life."

The ride mostly draws on elements from the first five books. You start in the Room of Requirement (book 5) and head out onto the grounds where you're chased by a Hungarian Horntail (book 4), heading into the Forbidden Forest where you're confronted by Aragog and his brood (book 2), avoiding the Whomping Willow (books 2 & 3) before heading out onto the Quidditch Pitch (most books), where a game is already in session. Dementors (book 3) appear and sabotage the game, drawing you underground into the Chamber of Secrets (book 2). They continually assault you before Harry makes them retreat via his use of a Patronus Charm (book 3) and you return to Hogwarts safely.

That's basically it.

ToT_Fanatic

I completely agree!!! It is truly the most incredible theme park attracion ever created. It surpasses evene Spiderman which, itself, blows away anything Disney has ever done. Disney really should be shaking in their boots right now.

Shaking in thier boots??? Ya Okay, sorry to burst your bubble, but even if disney didnt do anything. Unviersal still could never touch them, in money and population! Because Disney has everything that is in Orlando. 2 water parks,4 theme parks, and DTD.

The only thing Unviersal truely does that Disney now donest is City Walk. Which if Disney still had PI. They would be dominatioing Unviersal. Rides may be better at Unviersal. But most of their rides, Disney has the better themeing.

Tower Of Terror > Doctor Dooms Freefall
Rock N Roller Coaster > Hulk? maybe
Dinosuar > Jarassic Park River Adventure.
Haunted Mansion > Spiderman
Kali River Rapids > Barges or whatever it is.
Splash Mountian > Doctor Duelights ride
EE in A Mode > Rip Ride Rock It.

Dont Bash Me. These are the facts of Themeing!

Also DTD has DQ (Best Acrade Anywhere!)

:p

Skip

Shaking in thier boots??? Ya Okay, sorry to burst your bubble, but even if disney didnt do anything. Unviersal still could never touch them, in money and population! Because Disney has everything that is in Orlando. 2 water parks,4 theme parks, and DTD.

The only thing Unviersal truely does that Disney now donest is City Walk. Which if Disney still had PI. They would be dominatioing Unviersal. Rides may be better at Unviersal. But most of their rides, Disney has the better themeing.

Tower Of Terror > Doctor Dooms Freefall
Rock N Roller Coaster > Hulk? maybe
Dinosuar > Jarassic Park River Adventure.
Haunted Mansion > Spiderman
Kali River Rapids > Barges or whatever it is.
Splash Mountian > Doctor Duelights ride
EE in A Mode > Rip Ride Rock It.

Dont Bash Me. These are the facts of Themeing!

Also DTD has DQ (Best Acrade Anywhere!)

:p

Tower does > Doom
Dinosaur ~ Jurassic Park (both are shadows of what they could've been)
Splash Mountain >> Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls

But...

Hulk >> Rock'n'Roller Coaster
Revenge of the Mummy > Everest (A-mode is dead)
Popeye > Kali (beautiful foliage, but there's no meat to the ride)
Cat in the Hat & ET > Fantasyland dark rides
Disaster! > Backlot Tour
Men in Black >> Buzz & Midway Mania
and of course...
Spider-Man & Forbidden Journey >> all
etc., etc., etc...

And that's excluding some great gems like Jaws, Horror Makeup Show, Terminator, & Simpsons that can't really be directly compared to specific attractions at Disney... but since when is this thread about comparing Universal & Disney? It's a thread about impressions of the Forbidden Journey. If you want to go bash Universal and claim it has nothing on Disney (which with Spider-Man and the Wizarding World [among other things], I'd say it does) then please go elsewhere.

worldfanatic

Overall, Universal is still a very distant second to Disney, IMO.

However, Forbidden Journey is on another level.

I must say, though, I was very disapointed with the Spiderman ride.
Having heard it being called the best ride on the planet before Forbidden Journey arrived, my expectations were high.
But after riding it. Please!!!

I know it uses the same type of technology Forbidden Journey uses.
But Potter ramps it up so much......and you don't have to wear those stupid glasses.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom