I Finally Rode Forbidden Journey!! AMAZING!!

Pete C

Shaking in thier boots??? Ya Okay, sorry to burst your bubble, but even if disney didnt do anything. Unviersal still could never touch them, in money and population! Because Disney has everything that is in Orlando. 2 water parks,4 theme parks, and DTD.

The only thing Unviersal truely does that Disney now donest is City Walk. Which if Disney still had PI. They would be dominatioing Unviersal. Rides may be better at Unviersal. But most of their rides, Disney has the better themeing.

Tower Of Terror > Doctor Dooms Freefall
Rock N Roller Coaster > Hulk? maybe
Dinosuar > Jarassic Park River Adventure.
Haunted Mansion > Spiderman
Kali River Rapids > Barges or whatever it is.
Splash Mountian > Doctor Duelights ride
EE in A Mode > Rip Ride Rock It.

Dont Bash Me. These are the facts of Themeing!

Also DTD has DQ (Best Acrade Anywhere!)

:p

Tower of Terror is the best themed and executed ride in WDW.

Rock N Roller Coaster > Hulk?
Huh? RnRC's natural competitor is Hollywood RRR. You know, both being themed to music and having on-ride soundtracks and all? Neither has impressive theming, but RRR has no sets. However, the ability to pick from tons of tracks, along with the fact that the ride is far smoother and more thrilling make it a much better ride in my book.

Better theming here is debatable. Dinos themselves look better in Dinosaur, but Jurassic has a much more detailed environment, or I should say...has AN environment. I love Dinosaur as a ride, but even most Disney fans agree the theming on this ride was not up to par.

These rides are nothing alike. You are comparing a physical-based ride to a video-based motion simulator. The ride technology is completely different. While HM is impressive for physical sets which Universal has not matched, Spiderman is just as impressive for its use of motion and video which Disney still has yet to come close to (and Universal has already trumped with HP).

Are you kidding me? Kali River Rapids does not have good theming, and the ride is an absolute bore by comparison. Popeye's wins on both counts.

This is true.

EE came out at the same time as Mummy and those coasters are compared...not RRR which is a thrill ride only and more comparable to RnRC. EE is themed better off-ride, Mummy is themed better on-ride.

fife

People who have never cracked open a Harry Potter book or watched any of the films will get immensely less enjoyment out of this section of the park as a whole than individuals like myself who have read all 7 books multiple times and been at the midnight release of every film.

Just out of curiosity, how exactly do you arrive at this conclusion? How do you measure "immensely less enjoyment"? Are you privvy to survey results from a representative sampling of guests who have experienced the attraction?

Personally, I have never read a single Harry Potter book nor seen a single Harry Potter movie. However I was completely blown away by the attraction and thought it was absolutely incredible. If my level of enjoyment on this ride was "immensely less" than it would have been if I'd read the books or seen the movies, then maybe that's a good thing. I might have embarassed myself if I'd displayed any more enjoyment. :lol:

Pete C

Overall, Universal is still a very distant second to Disney, IMO.

However, Forbidden Journey is on another level.

I must say, though, I was very disapointed with the Spiderman ride.
Having heard it being called the best ride on the planet before Forbidden Journey arrived, my expectations were high.
But after riding it. Please!!!

I know it uses the same type of technology Forbidden Journey uses.
But Potter ramps it up so much......and you don't have to wear those stupid glasses.

Most people would disagree with you on that one. Spiderman is still freaking incredible and better than any high-tech ride at Disney IMO. There are loads of people out there that agree with that. Tell me what Disney has that is more impressive? Soarin? Mission Space? Tower of Terror is the only ride that is on par.

The ride technology is different from HP. The glasses are for 3D...get used to it because the new Star Tours will also use them.

fife

The glasses are for 3D...get used to it because the new Star Tours will also use them.

Something tells me he'll think it's "cool" on Star Tours as opposed to "stupid" since Star Tours is a Disney attraction and not Universal. I think that's the true criteria for this poster rather than an impartial opinion of just the ride quality itself. :hammer:

BigThunderMatt

The glasses are for 3D...get used to it because the new Star Tours will also use them.

Which to me seems like more of a gimmick. In Spider-Man you're in an open-air vehicle. The 3-D adds to the depth of the sets. In Star Tours you're supposed to be traveling in an enclosed vehicle through space. Other than giving depth to the images I certainly hope they don't have things flying out of the screen at you as that would destroy the realism of it.

fife

Which to me seems like more of a gimmick. In Spider-Man you're in an open-air vehicle. The 3-D adds to the depth of the sets. In Star Tours you're supposed to be traveling in an enclosed vehicle through space. Other than giving depth to the images I certainly hope they don't have things flying out of the screen at you as that would destroy the realism of it.

So in real life, if you're out in the open air then it's okay for things to be seen in 3D, but if you're inside an airplane cabin or car or a room or something, then everything is 2D?? :veryconfu

JT3000

So in real life, if you're out in the open air then it's okay for things to be seen in 3D, but if you're inside an airplane cabin or car or a room or something, then everything is 2D?? :veryconfu

If you're riding in an aircraft and objects from outside are flying at your face, then you have a bit of a problem on your hands. Especially in outer space. If they want the ride to be realistic, it can't have anything literally coming through the screen.

Pete C

If you're riding in an aircraft and objects from outside are flying at your face, then you have a bit of a problem on your hands. Especially in outer space. If they want the ride to be realistic, it can't have anything literally coming through the screen.

The final scene of Spiderman shows how 3D can be used to great effect just for depth alone. You get a great sense of height during the final scenes, and during the "drop". It is usually for gimmicks though, and I can't see Disney not throwing them in there on this ride. I would almost guarantee it.

SeaBase86

Shaking in thier boots??? Ya Okay, sorry to burst your bubble, but even if disney didnt do anything. Unviersal still could never touch them, in money and population! Because Disney has everything that is in Orlando. 2 water parks,4 theme parks, and DTD.

The only thing Unviersal truely does that Disney now donest is City Walk. Which if Disney still had PI. They would be dominatioing Unviersal. Rides may be better at Unviersal. But most of their rides, Disney has the better themeing.

Ok I'm sorry but Popeye blows Kali out the water. The others you are mostly right about but you put Rnrc against Hulk when it should be against Rip. I think they are about the same but Rnrc wins for me because it doesn't close down in the rain.

Your forgetting Dragon Challenge. Nothing at Disney compares to this baby.

jonnyc

Could they not just make say a big 3D Lense and put it in the cockpit infront of the video screen? (This idea is coming with no background or knowledge in 3D technology)

Magenta Panther

The Harry Potter books, to me, have been underwhelming. They are, in my opinion, some of the worst-written fantasy I've ever read. I realize that's blasphemy, but there you are. I do think Rowling is good at making you wonder what's going to happen next, but there's still very little real magic in her books; they're dry as dust, the prose is awkward and clunky, the humor often falls flat, and the relationships don't ring true (Ron and Hermione? Please). Lord of the Rings and Chronicles of Narnia have much better prose, characters and possess a lyricism and enchantment Potter pretty much lacks.

BUT the movies are all pretty awesome. They do a good job of bringing those moribund books to life. And it's on their account I like Universal's Wizarding World. It's pretty amazing. The last thing Disney did anything on such an immersive level was The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror. Hopefully we'll get such a great ride at WDW soon, thanks to Harry Potter. For that, I can even forgive the crummy books. :ROFLOL:

spock

Could they not just make say a big 3D Lense and put it in the cockpit infront of the video screen? (This idea is coming with no background or knowledge in 3D technology)

I don't claim to be an expert either but what currently makes 3D work (at least from a practical entertainment use) is the right and left lenses each giving a slightly different view (just like your right and left eyes working together allows you to see the real world in 3D). I've read about other approaches to creating the 3D effect (including one in which one of the images constantly "flickers" on and off), but I don't think they've mastered it yet to the point where glasses would be unnecessary. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of wearing the glasses either. I always seem to get the pair of glasses that has a scratch on one of the lenses or something. Plus I think we're on 3D overload right now between theme park attractions and movies. I'm hoping it's a fad that goes away.

mrpygmypuff

I know it's a matter of opinion but I went to Universal last year and missed out on it of course. I have ridden Spiderman and love it to pieces. I also consider Haunted Mansion and Pirates at Magic Kingdom to be great dark rides, maybe Dinosaur as well. How much better does Harry Potter blow these ones away?

By the way, I think Disney overall will always be the better park with the better experience (although Potter seems to be closing the gap a bit) but in general I think if you love Disney then most people including myself appreciate Universal as well.

Lastly, I have never seen a Potter movie. Does that matter when you go on this ride?

I still remember the first time I saw the first movie, my mouth was open most of the time. Couldn't believe my eye's. that's how it is here. You should see the movies, that way when you go you get the feeling your walking into the movie it's self. It's just great.

I was a big Disney person, but I live here and go out all the time. Some, not all, but some cast members at Disney have been really rude to me, I've been to Disney three or four times this summer after Potter opened, it's really hard for me to drive by and not want to be there... Hope that helps.

mrpygmypuff

you are a Disney person who can't see beyond the pixie dust.
You talk about facts, the Harry Potter area is amazing. I took a Disney person last month, they were blown away, and now they have an annual pass. that's a fact.:sohappy:

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I don't claim to be an expert either but what currently makes 3D work (at least from a practical entertainment use) is the right and left lenses each giving a slightly different view (just like your right and left eyes working together allows you to see the real world in 3D). I've read about other approaches to creating the 3D effect (including one in which one of the images constantly "flickers" on and off), but I don't think they've mastered it yet to the point where glasses would be unnecessary. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of wearing the glasses either. I always seem to get the pair of glasses that has a scratch on one of the lenses or something. Plus I think we're on 3D overload right now between theme park attractions and movies. I'm hoping it's a fad that goes away.
3D is rendered by either colour distortion [the red/blue 3D glasses] or alternating glasses [3D tv - each eye is blocked while the other sees it's view, alternating rapidly to create a seamless 3D effect].

Nintendo is releasing the 3DS soon, which has a special screen that presents a 3D image without glasses. The downside is you have to be at a precise angle to the screen to see the effect.

I'm waiting for Star Trek Holodeck technology to reach the market... :lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom