I-Drive Rail is being planned

Progress.City

Original Poster
Not really. How about chit chat. It isn't theme park news unless they start building a station at a theme park. Especially given the habit of these schemes promising the world and then nothing happens. How do they plan on building phase one in six months, as claimed?

Your obsession with transit systems precedes you.
It's not my fault that this has been all over the Orlando Business Journal in recent months. Why? Because it's news. It's advancing. Were you all planning on just ignoring these devolopments? When were you going to actually talk about it? After its all built? Really, now. This is a site where news notoriously is discussed on mere speculation years before anything official actually happens. Well, here we are well beyond official things happening. They got the rights of way, the financing in place, the trains actually being constructed as we speak, permits are being pulled, and engineering work on the tracks and stations are in the advanced phases.

The system is being built for tourists and conventioneers. This has everything to do with USO and Sea World - just like the WDW monorail has everything to do with the MK and EC. It is the International Drive transportation infrastructure. Since USO is part of the I-Drive tourist district, it is part of USO's meta-infrastructure.

lazyboy97o

It's not my fault that this has been all over the Orlando Business Journal in recent months. Why? Because it's news. It's advancing. Were you all planning on just ignoring these devolopments? When were you going to actually talk about it? After its all built? Really, now. This is a site where news notoriously is discussed on mere speculation years before anything official actually happens. Well, here we are well beyond official things happening. They got the rights of way, the financing in place, the trains actually being constructed as we speak, permits are being pulled, and engineering work on the tracks and stations are in the advanced phases.

The system is being built for tourists and conventioneers. This has everything to do with USO and Sea World - just like the WDW monora has everything to do with the MK and EC. It is the International Drive transportation infrastructure. Since USO is part of the I-Drive tourist district, it is part of USO's meta-infrastructure.
Except that neither Universal Orlando Resort not SeaWorld Orlando have signed on to be officially part of any such system. You'd be able to better convince people if you weren't constantly mixing news with your own pie-in-the-sky day dreams and constantly plugging them.

Progress.City

Original Poster
Except that neither Universal Orlando Resort not SeaWorld Orlando have signed on to be officially part of any such system. You'd be able to better convince people if you weren't constantly mixing news with your own pie-in-the-sky day dreams and constantly plugging them.
Where else do you think it's going to go? Orange County is spending a lot of money on the OCCC station. I'm talking about the circular, which county documents specifically mention, as well as the right of way for it in the vicinity of the convention center. The question remains, where is it going? It is going toward USO, but where are the other I-Drive area stops? It will be foolish to spend that kind of money on it and just have it stop at a few hotels down the street and not have it stop where hotel guests are likely to go. It's a given that there are two destinations hotel guests are likely to go - the OCCC/Sea World on one end and USO on the other.

It's a legitimate question to ask. Where's the rest of the system going?

Progress.City

Original Poster
I'm done here. Have fun discussing this amongst yourselves. I know many here appreciated the news, but the thread Nazis had nothing better to do with their time but to come here and derail a perfectly good and productive discussion. I'm done.

For now.

Last edited:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Where else do you think it's going to go? Orange County is spending a lot of money on the OCCC station. I'm talking about the circular, which county documents specifically mention, as well as the right of way for it in the vicinity of the convention center. The question remains, where is it going? It is going toward USO, but where are the other I-Drive area stops? It will be foolish to spend that kind of money on it and just have it stop at a few hotels down the street and not have it stop where hotel guests are likely to go. It's a given that there are two destinations hotel guests are likely to go - the OCCC/Sea World on one end and USO on the other.

And yet, you've even stated you don't know where it's going:

It is Universal news if they build a station there.

Keep in mind that we are focused on the I-Drive circular, not the main line that will run from OIA to the OCCC. The circular will serve the OCCC and the surrounding hotels and attractions.

I started this thread wondering if USO will be included as a station. I searched and I still do not have an answer.

The focus of this thread is whether of not I-Drive Rail will stop at USO. Once we have a
definite yes or no, then the focus here should be the details of the OSO station.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I'm done here. Have fun discussing this amongst yourselves. I know many here appreciated the news, but the thread Nazis had nothing better to do with their time but to come here and derail a perfectly good and productive discussion. I'm done.

For now.
No one derailed anything, just pointed out that this thread had nothing to do with Universal, and should be moved. Which lo and behold....

Progress.City

Original Poster
No one derailed anything, just pointed out that this thread had nothing to do with Universal, and should be moved. Which lo and behold....
Whatever. What I'm upset about is that the focus of the thread went from discussion of the thread subject to a discussion over the thread itself. That's what derailed it. Moving it only added insult to injury. All I wanted to know wee the rest of the missing details. Let's say we find out that USO has a plan to work with them and build a station, then what? We move the thread again?

Bickering is no fun. It was fun before the bickering started. I don't want to bicker any more. I'm no longer having fun, which is why I'm done.

If I do find out that Universal is involved, please don't derail my discussion about it. Thanks.

Last edited:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Whatever. What I'm upset about is that the focus of the thread went from discussion of the thread subject to a discussion over the thread itself. That's what derailed it. Moving it only added insult to injury. All I wanted to know wee the rest of the missing details. Let's say we find out that USO has a plan to work with them and build a station, then what? We move the thread again?

Bickering is no fun. It was fun before the bickering started. I don't want to bicker any more. I'm no longer having fun, which is why I'm done.

If I do find out that Universal is involved, please don't derail my discussion about it. Thanks.
And when (if) you do find out that Universal is getting a stop, make sure your thread's in their forum....

Until your next account then....

lazyboy97o

There are plenty of unused, or half built transit stations across the country. And a stop at the convention center is not at all close to being a stop at SeaWorld. That is over a mile of unpleasant walking.

Progress.City

Original Poster
There are plenty of unused, or half built transit stations across the country. And a stop at the convention center is not at all close to being a stop at SeaWorld. That is over a mile of unpleasant walking.
Basically, I wanted you all here to help me research this. Some here have started and have posted links, but no one knows for sure what's going on with Big Picture. The problem is you are debating your opinion on what you think the missing elements of the Bigger Picture are, instead of helping to research it. I, stupidly, put off the research I started to debate with you what my opinion of what the Bigger Picture is. We have wasted our energies debating, while we could have been actively researching. The truth is I don't know, other than the county doing design work on the OCCC station, what else is in the process of being planned. I am going in with the assumption that the OCCC station is just one of many elements currently in the process of being planned. I'm taking the assumption that USO and Sea World stations may also be in the planning phase. You're going on the assumption that there's nothing more than OCCC station planning. Arguing endlessly these strong opinions of ours will not answer factually the unknowns of the Bigger Picture (or if there is a Bigger Picture per your point of view). Arguing these opinions is a waste of time and energy. That precious time and energy was originally intended on be spent researching via crowd sourcing the readers here when I started it.

Crowd sourced research would have achieved the answers much faster than any of us researching it individually. I would have liked to go that approach. Instead, it has been an unproductive drain on energy. The time it is taking me to write this, for example, could have been on research.

Therefore, this is my last post on this thread. I will continue to do the research quietly and on my own. It will take longer because I'm doing it myself, but next time you hear from me on this subject, I'll have all the facts no opinions as to what I believe the facts to be. In the future, let's work together and crowd source an investigation instead of making a debate out of something - with bad vibes being tossed around - that could have been positive and productive.

Anyone is welcome to continue the research on their own, individually. Let me if you a lead, though, and we can crowd source the research among us going forward from that point.

lazyboy97o

Basically, I wanted you all here to help me research this. Some here have started and have posted links, but no one knows for sure what's going on with Big Picture. The problem is you are debating your opinion on what you think the missing elements of the Bigger Picture are, instead of helping to research it. I, stupidly, put off the research I started to debate with you what my opinion of what the Bigger Picture is. We have wasted our energies debating, while we could have been actively researching. The truth is I don't know, other than the county doing design work on the OCCC station, what else is in the process of being planned. I am going in with the assumption that the OCCC station is just one of many elements currently in the process of being planned. I'm taking the assumption that USO and Sea World stations may also be in the planning phase. You're going on the assumption that there's nothing more than OCCC station planning. Arguing endlessly these strong opinions of ours will not answer factually the unknowns of the Bigger Picture (or if there is a Bigger Picture per your point of view). Arguing these opinions is a waste of time and energy. That precious time and energy was originally intended on be spent researching via crowd sourcing the readers here when I started it.

Crowd sourced research would have achieved the answers much faster than any of us researching it individually. I would have liked to go that approach. Instead, it has been an unproductive drain on energy. The time it is taking me to write this, for example, could have been on research.

Therefore, this is my last post on this thread. I will continue to do the research quietly and on my own. It will take longer because I'm doing it myself, but next time you hear from me on this subject, I'll have all the facts no opinions as to what I believe the facts to be. In the future, let's work together and crowd source an investigation instead of making a debate out of something - with bad vibes being tossed around - that could have been positive and productive.

Anyone is welcome to continue the research on their own, individually. Let me if you a lead, though, and we can crowd source the research among us going forward from that point.
There isn't much research to do if the plans aren't being publicly shared. Florida has some pretty good open records laws so what is out there is probably most of it.

The Mom

Premium Member
There are two types of plans. One is a "this is what I would like to do, what I think it will cost, and what I think it will look like" and the other is an actual written plan which contractors, etc can follow to construct something. The last one hasn't been made (at least not publicly) and is the one that is needed before you can say something will definitely happen. And even then, it can be delayed or cancelled.

I live in Jacksonville, so I know all about an elevated people mover from point A to point B, with "future" plans to connect it to the airport. And the first type of plans to refurbish the waterfront and downtown areas. So I have a lot of skepticism about "plans."

What may work in a major city with core housing/business density does not always translate well to smaller cities with sprawling suburban areas.

Progress.City

Original Poster
There are two types of plans. One is a "this is what I would like to do, what I think it will cost, and what I think it will look like" and the other is an actual written plan which contractors, etc can follow to construct something. The last one hasn't been made (at least not publicly) and is the one that is needed before you can say something will definitely happen. And even then, it can be delayed or cancelled.

I live in Jacksonville, so I know all about an elevated people mover from point A to point B, with "future" plans to connect it to the airport. And the first type of plans to refurbish the waterfront and downtown areas. So I have a lot of skepticism about "plans."

What may work in a major city with core housing/business density does not always translate well to smaller cities with sprawling suburban areas.
Each city's politics are different. In my hometown, everything is kept hush hush until actual permits are pulled.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom