"I don't want to go!!!"- 2 year old meltdown

KC82271

DD has been there 4 times already (and only 3 years old). We have flown all 4 times. 10 mos old was great. Tylenol always knocked her out, and she was teething - so we made out well. 22 mos wasn't as good, but not bad - she was able to be occupied with the various things I brought so we were okay. 30 mos old is a totally different story. I don't know if it is because we flew at night - but she screamed from take off to 1/2 hour before landing. Nothing would calm her. Then at 34 months, we had already had the flights booked prior to the trip from he!!, so we crossed out fingers and flew out! Going she was great - all excited. Coming home, again a night flight, the flight was delayed 2 hours so she got antsy at 9 pm in the airport, but got on the plane, and with every other toddler, went to sleep. So it's hard to say how they are going to be! You have a 50/50 chance either way!

As for the airport itself, we never have a problem with Security. We even leave out of Newark and have no problem. Usually because we fly out first thing in the morning going - so the lines aren't bad. TSA is really good too, they put us down on the end and tell us to take our time. DD has no problem because she knows she is going to Disney! Coming home isn't a big deal for some reason.

As for car-seats - don't bring them. My best flight was the last one when we decided to trip a special seat-belt that is available on the internet. We used it for a little bit, but she was so well behaved outside of the special belt and the car seat - so from here on in, I am leaving the car seat home. We use Magical Express - so it's no big deal. When you use Mears to go off site, they won't let you use the carseat anyway.

I say all this as I am now 9 weeks away from our next trip - which I will be all stressed out about regarding her flipping out. Oh well.....it's a trip to Orlando - it's too be expected. If it's not my kid, it's someone else's!

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!

karlamaria

when I booked my trip with all three of my kids I was sooooo excited. I gathered them around and told them..... ok I got something special to tell you all. we are going to Waltdisney world !!! 2 of my kids started screaming. the thrid one threw a fit!! he does not care for the parks, and does not like crowds and the noise and the people . I tried to talk to him, explained that we can swim to and do other things..... he looked at me and said.... no!! Sorry momma but you go and have a nice time. bring me back a stuffed nemo and some candy and I will stay with nana.... so thats what he is doing. I refuse to drag him any where he does not want to go, nor will I or the other kids have a good time with him not happy.
I am of the mind that if they do not want to go, and you see it as problematic then leave them home until they decide for them selves they want to go. no way will I drag my boy to something he does not care to do. I took him to Disneyland and he hated every minute of it :eek: I was like what?? yuou love these caractors !!! he does, but not the crowds, the people and the noise. I am sad he will not be going, but I am glad he can tell me this with out fear and I can leave him with gramma knowing he will have a good time with her. :)

RebeccaMA

Original Poster
Well good for you Karla. Unfortunately my 2 year old is not that mature. She will ask for a burger and fries at McDonald's, and then proceed to eat DH's chicken nuggets instead. She will say she wants apple juice and then get mad because she really wanted milk. Etc. She has never been to WDW, and has no concept of what it is. I know she will have a good time once we get going, we just have to get her there first.

slappy magoo

She has never been to WDW, and has no concept of what it is. I know she will have a good time once we get going, we just have to get her there first.

Is it too late to try to couch the trip in other terms? A friend took his son when he was 2, and instead of saying "We're going to Disney World," he asked "Do you wanna see where Mickey Mouse lives? Mickey Mouse would like you to come visit his house." The kid wasn't doing backflips of joy, but he was clearly excited: "We can DO that? We can go see where Mickey lives?" As a result, the concept of flying didn't bother him at all.

RebeccaMA

Original Poster
Yeah, I'm doing that this week. Since we fly on Friday, I think we are close enough that we can talk about it a little bit every day now. Yesterday was grandparent's day, and we talked about the fact that we are going to see dd's grandmas soon. She knows she is going to see my mom and DH's mom, and that we have to fly on an airplane and stay in a hotel to do that. This morning I told her "the hotels will be really nice. We'll have 2 bathrooms!" (we only have 1 at home). I'm not going to overwhelm her (on purpose). I'm just telling her a little bit every day. So far she really isn't interested in the characters though, which is fine. We'll see how our first character meal goes, and determine from there whether we should cancel or keep one or two of our APRs, etc.

Is it too late to try to couch the trip in other terms? A friend took his son when he was 2, and instead of saying "We're going to Disney World," he asked "Do you wanna see where Mickey Mouse lives? Mickey Mouse would like you to come visit his house." The kid wasn't doing backflips of joy, but he was clearly excited: "We can DO that? We can go see where Mickey lives?" As a result, the concept of flying didn't bother him at all.

UberPlannerMom

Kind of funny but I have never referred to it as going to Disney World to my son. It has always been that we are going to Mickey Mouse's house... and no I can't just say Mickey's house because he corrects me that the full name is Mickey Mouse. Haha. I guess I just automatically did that because I have to tell him that some of the other shows that come on TV are Micky Mouse's special friends. Otherwise he says he doesn't like them and there are only so many days in a row that I can handle "Daisy Bo Peep" on Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. They really need to make more episodes- for my sanity. He doesn't care but I sure do!:brick:

RebeccaMA

Original Poster
They need more episodes of "Wiggles" too, as well as some non-Disney shows, but yeah I hear you. We have TiVo so we can watch dd's favorite shows all the time. When she liked Wiggles a lot, we would end up watching the same 10-12 over and over again. I still haven't seen any with the new guy.

Kind of funny but I have never referred to it as going to Disney World to my son. It has always been that we are going to Mickey Mouse's house... and no I can't just say Mickey's house because he corrects me that the full name is Mickey Mouse. Haha. I guess I just automatically did that because I have to tell him that some of the other shows that come on TV are Micky Mouse's special friends. Otherwise he says he doesn't like them and there are only so many days in a row that I can handle "Daisy Bo Peep" on Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. They really need to make more episodes- for my sanity. He doesn't care but I sure do!:brick:

I think you'll be fine. I have flown with my kids since they have been very young, most of the time by myself, since DH has to work but all our family is up in MA. Have plenty of activities like: coloring books, Mr Potato Heads, I get those mini playdoughs and let them play with one each and choose 3 or 4 playdough accesories to bring and then toss the playdough when we land, my son brings a few hot wheels, my daughter brings her Little Pony and Dora figures and we always bring the DVD for a back-up, basically anything to occupy her. Also bring lots of snacks and make sure you buy a drink or two when you get thru security. Have her drink something or eat something while the plane is taking off and landing to help equalize the pressure in her ears and give her the window seat, most kids love to look out and see the clouds.
As for the actual airport, if the shoes are a big issue why not wait and put the shoes on after you get thru security, she'll be in the stroller before so it's not like she's going to be walking around without shoes on. Just put them in your carry-on bag and wait until you get thru security.
I'm sure it will not be as bad as you think it could be. If she gets fussy just keep in mind, probably 3/4 of the people on the plane are taking family vacations like you and have kids or have been in your position before at some point in their lives and can sympathize:shrug: Have a great trip!!

carriebeth

i have 8 children and have been through security at many different airports many times with many children and can tell you..small children dont have to remove shoes. I think its over 12 years for shoes.

WDWDreamer4

Just an FYI, I am not sure if someone mentioned this already I tried to read most of the posts. But your daughter will NOT have to take her shoes off at security. All her stuff will have to go through the machine, but children 12 and under do not have to remove shoes. Also, you can take juice with you in excess of the 3-1-1 rule. Just make sure you let the officers know at the beginning of the screening. I usually have 1 or 2 small bottles of juice when we fly for the baby. I mix it with water from the flight attendants in a sippy cup once on board the plane. Have fun and don't worry you will have fun.

21stamps

Well since we are booking our rental car through AAA and using Hertz, we can get a car seat for free to use while we are in FL. I don't see the point in lugging ours. I also think the 3 of us will be more comfortable without the car seat. DH can spread out a little, and if dd wants to lie down a little in my lap she will be able to.

As to the crocs, she has Dora crocs, but really I'm not worried about it. If it takes her an extra minute or two to put her shoes back on, oh well. I'll be busy gathering up all our bags, unfolding the stroller etc anyway.
Don't know if someone said this already- but you can check your car seat for free. You don't have to take it on the plane with a 2 year old.

Don't worry though, my kid has been flying since an infant and luckily so far has never had a problem or acted up on a plane or in the airport. My dog has puked on the plane before though, that was horrible. I used to bring books to read - or show photos of where we were going, but if you are concerned then just bring an iPad with show or movies already downloaded, and earpods- the flight will fly by ;)!!!

RememberWhen

FWIW, you are correct that a car seat won't help much in the event of a plane crash. It will help in the fairly likely event of turbulence. Airline seatbelt a aren't made for tiny squirmy people. Traveling with a big car seat is a pain, so if thats not possible you could buy or rent a CARES harness which is better than nothing.
And as has been already mentioned, young kids don't need to remove their shoes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom